• MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    I give this thread a 2/10.
  • Kiwi_Made
    Kiwi_Made Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    BOOOOO LIFTING FOR WOMEN

Give me a woman who is 80lb soaking wet, cries whenever she drives past a Wendy's, whips herself with a cat o' nine tails 45 times whenever she dares take a whiff of a box of rice crackers and inhales too much air (added calories you know), and can barely sustain forward momentum without having to lean on things as she walks.

Oh so sexy <3
  • yesterdayusaid2morrow
    Options
    Well, you are kind of awesome m'dear.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to bumpity-bump this thread, because it is horrible. This PSA should be shared with women everywhere. Thankyou, taunto, for showing us the light.
  • aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I swear on my life that I would choose to be sloppy-fat-obese rather than be muscular. (I am neither.) To me, the gnarly muscles are hideous-- I wouldn't want ANY muscle definition whatsoever, for that matter! And too, I would choose to be obese rather than fashionably model-thin (I am neither.) I think it looks o.k. on some women to be model-thin, but I don't want a lean look for myself. I think Marilyn Monroe in her prime, in the 1950s, had the ideal female figure. I choose to look a little fleshy-- and refuse to reduce to a low enough weight where I'd lose my bustline.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I swear on my life that I would choose to be sloppy-fat-obese rather than be muscular. (I am neither.) To me, the gnarly muscles are hideous-- I wouldn't want ANY muscle definition whatsoever, for that matter! And too, I would choose to be obese rather than fashionably model-thin (I am neither.) I think it looks o.k. on some women to be model-thin, but I don't want a lean look for myself. I think Marilyn Monroe in her prime, in the 1950s, had the ideal female figure. I choose to look a little fleshy-- and refuse to reduce to a low enough weight where I'd lose my bustline.

I absolutely get that people have distinct preferences as to what they want and do not want to look like and they are 100% entitled to those. However, what I do not get is someone wanting to be sloppy-fat-obese, which is a significant health risk, rather than leaner and more muscular - which may be aesthetically less pleasing to many but much healthier.

My current pic shows me as relatively muscular, and I am absolutely fine with someone not wanting to look like me at all and/or hating the way I look - as I say, we all have our preferences that we are entitled to. However, I am also a bit surprised that 'gnarly' muscles were mentioned as none of the pictures of the women in the OP show them as particularly muscular.

Resistance training does not necessarily need to lead to someone having muscle definition - just do not train to develop your muscles and keep enough body fat to cover what you have. It really is not an either/or situation. However, resistance training is very good for bone health - something particularly important to us women as we age. Then again, as someone who would rather be sloppy-fat-obese, maybe risking osteoporosis is not important to you.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Marilyn in her prime?

Lifted weights.

Just putting that out there. You might wanna consider that in the future.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    How is it I've never seen this thread before? What awesomeness I've been missing!
  • aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I am not trying to insult anyone! I am certain many, many people who exercise would look at me and think, how horrible she looks being so un-toned and flabby! And in the world of celebrities, leading ladies, models, they'd look at me and think, why does she want to weigh 112 at 5' 3 1/2," because she is a cow? I would not feel insulted in the slightest at any of that. Everyone likes certain looks and dislikes others. I hate bob haircuts. Cannot stand them-- yet they are popular. It is all subjective.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I haven't read 15 pages of reply, but the OP is full of win!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I am not trying to insult anyone! I am certain many, many people who exercise would look at me and think, how horrible she looks being so un-toned and flabby! And in the world of celebrities, leading ladies, models, they'd look at me and think, why does she want to weigh 112 at 5' 3 1/2," because she is a cow? I would not feel insulted in the slightest at any of that. Everyone likes certain looks and dislikes others. I hate bob haircuts. Cannot stand them-- yet they are popular. It is all subjective.

I did not say that you were - just like you, I do not give a rats butt if you like the way I look just as you do not care if I like the way you look. You seem to have missed the point of my post entirely (assuming this was directed at my response to you).

ETA: 112 and 5'3 1/2 is not heavy imo. You are only 2 1/2 inches shorter than me and I weigh 40lbs more than you in my current pic!
  • Princess71117
    Princess71117 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Love this! Makes me wanna start lifting lol
  • jennpaulson
    jennpaulson Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I was just trying to tell a friend of mine about all the women on mfp who lift and look awesome. She thinks I (or we) need to lose more weight before we start lifting. I told her she was wrong that we'd end up with all the fat we currently have over top of muscles. I'm going to have her check out this thread. : )
  • disneygallagirl
    disneygallagirl Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Love this post.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    I was just trying to tell a friend of mine about all the women on mfp who lift and look awesome. She thinks I (or we) need to lose more weight before we start lifting. I told her she was wrong that we'd end up with all the fat we currently have over top of muscles. I'm going to have her check out this thread. : )

Yes, get her to read this. The sooner you start, the sooner you'll see results. There is no need to delay lifting until you reach a certain weight.
  • sunshinelively
    sunshinelively Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    FTW! Love the OP.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Always have to put a jab in at Canada....

All these ladies are uber sexy!
    +1
  • WestslopeCutty
    WestslopeCutty Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    It's just horrible what we women do to ourselves.

Loved this post.
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    :laugh: That first post is fantastic!
  • Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    But the question is...

Can they open mayonnaise jars easily? Or look elegant even when you forget to pick up dog food on a weekend and have to stop by after work while in heels. Balancing 50 lbs of dog food in heels? Talent.

These are aspirations.

I think to think the answers are yes.