What causes obesity?

Options

Replies

• SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Million dollar question. If anyone can effectively answer this they'll be rolling in the dough. Personally, there are many factors that cause obesity disease, environment, psychological, lack of knowledge, habits, poor community planing, stigmatization of obesity along with increasing acceptance, this "pull yourself up by the boot strap mentality" which does not serve to help an individual deep in the throws of an obesigenic lifestyle, addictive behaviors...ect ect.

That's just it, no one will be rolling in dough with the right answer because the right answer isn't sexy, it doesn't have a quick fix and people would much rather come up with a plethora of excuses.

Eat too much and don't exercise enough to offset the calories in that food is the answer. The right, simple, non sexy answer.

I still believe there are a million confounding factors that cause obesity. I guess I'm in the minority on this post because I dont think that telling someone they are obese simply due to being a lazy slob is helpful nor empathetic. But I'm weird I like to l try solve problems and help people. What caused me to be obese may be completely different from the next person, and I work every day to learn something new about myself and hopefully reverse the abysmal failure rate that every obese person faces. If it was that simple we'd all be "skinny."

I know. I used to exercise a lot and I was still on the verge of obesity as a teenager and young adult. I ate way too much though. I always thought I would have been thin if I had a very active job or was an athlete. I wish I had been better at sports and pursued them more. I think it would have helped with my weight over the years and gotten me used to lots of activity. I did some sports over the years but not enough.

I really think intimate relationships are important for weight loss as well. I know when I spend time with people and do things with them I do not want to eat as much. Ever since I was a child I would not eat hardly anything when I was really busy with extended family or a friend. Of course that is me. I know some people eat a lot around other people.

Yes---I think that loneliness certainly has a role in overeating just as anxiety often has a role in undereating.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I have another theory :

1.) I dont think obesity is caused by lack of exercise. Here's why.
    My grandparent's generation (b. 1920's) did not exercise at all. Especially not the AVERAGE woman. They werent very active in their daily lives either. It wasnt really until the 80s', the decade of aerobics/Jane fonda/richard simmons, did exercise become a mainstream activity for all people. The baby boomers, all in their 30's at this point, probably began implementing regular workouts around this time in their lives if not later. Generations Xs&Ys are the generation that began working out in highschool, joining gyms- the 90s made gyms sexy! the 2000s gave way to yoga and pilates and crossfit and other trendy workouts for everyday people.
    My point is that if anything, generations have continued to INCREASE ON AVERAGE their fitness activity levels. Every girl in highschool I knew worked out at the gym, but if I ask my grandma if she and her girlfriends worked out in any capacity she laughs. So its not a decrese in activity level that is due to our increase in fatness. deductive reasoning will tell you that.

Here's my theory:

2. Eating is now the only socially acceptable crutch that exists. In the 50s, it was not only common, but somewhat encouraged by society to DRINK alcohol and SMOKe. Everyone drank and everyone smoked. Mom had a tough day, nothing a nip and a cig couldnt help take the edge off. There was no such lable as "addict" or "alcoholic" or rehab like there is today.
    Today we have shamed the smoker. Smokers are treated like trash- no more bar smoking, no more patio smoking, infact some streets dont allow it depending on what states you live in. Hotels have banned it. etc. NOw, I am not arguing for smokers, but what I am saying is smoking and drinking is shamed and regulated now more than ever before in history. If someone drinks during the workday- has a glass of wine or a cocktail- that is sooo frowned upon and can be cause for termination depending on the corporation.

However, over eating is not shamed or regulated. So CIndy the secretary can sit at her desk and inhale donuts to cope with the stress of her job, marriage, etc. But 50 years ago, she probably wouldve taken a swig of something and chain smoked. Doug the businessman can come home and inhale a large pizza to cope with his stressful day, but 50 years ago he wouldve numbed the pain with some scotch. today hed be called an alchy, but then it was so common and typical.

We as a socitety have replaced one addiction with another. and that is why people are obese

Your 20's example is not a good one because there was limited transportation via car, train, automobile etc ...so most people walked every where which means that they would have had a higher TDEE....

Food as an addiction sounds like an excuse IMO ..but I could be wrong...I don't really see how stuffing down a large pizza is more enjoyable then getting blasted on shots....I will take the alcohol buzz over any imagined "buzz" from woofing down donuts..all that does is make me feel like absolute crap...
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Lack of education and/or a sheer desire to change.

It's a choice and nothing more.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    I have another theory :

My grandparent's generation (b. 1920's) did not exercise at all. Especially not the AVERAGE woman. They werent very active in their daily lives either. It wasnt really until the 80s', the decade of aerobics/Jane fonda/richard simmons, did exercise become a mainstream activity for all people. The baby boomers, all in their 30's at this point, probably began implementing regular workouts around this time in their lives if not later. Generations Xs&Ys are the generation that began working out in highschool, joining gyms- the 90s made gyms sexy! the 2000s gave way to yoga and pilates and crossfit and other trendy workouts for everyday people.
    My point is that if anything, generations have continued to INCREASE ON AVERAGE their fitness activity levels. Every girl in highschool I knew worked out at the gym, but if I ask my grandma if she and her girlfriends worked out in any capacity she laughs. So its not a decrese in activity level that is due to our increase in fatness. deductive reasoning will tell you that.

Here's my theory:

2. Eating is now the only socially acceptable crutch that exists. In the 50s, it was not only common, but somewhat encouraged by society to DRINK alcohol and SMOKe. Everyone drank and everyone smoked. Mom had a tough day, nothing a nip and a cig couldnt help take the edge off. There was no such lable as "addict" or "alcoholic" or rehab like there is today.
    Today we have shamed the smoker. Smokers are treated like trash- no more bar smoking, no more patio smoking, infact some streets dont allow it depending on what states you live in. Hotels have banned it. etc. NOw, I am not arguing for smokers, but what I am saying is smoking and drinking is shamed and regulated now more than ever before in history. If someone drinks during the workday- has a glass of wine or a cocktail- that is sooo frowned upon and can be cause for termination depending on the corporation.

However, over eating is not shamed or regulated. So CIndy the secretary can sit at her desk and inhale donuts to cope with the stress of her job, marriage, etc. But 50 years ago, she probably wouldve taken a swig of something and chain smoked. Doug the businessman can come home and inhale a large pizza to cope with his stressful day, but 50 years ago he wouldve numbed the pain with some scotch. today hed be called an alchy, but then it was so common and typical.

We as a socitety have replaced one addiction with another. and that is why people are obese

if I was your teacher, I'd give you a B-, interesting premise, well argued, but for the most part an incorrect hypothesis. :)
  • nikilis
    Options
    the % population increase in obesity over the last half century coincides with the invention and introduction of High fructose corn syrup which has been reformulated into 100s of food additives which have made our food overall more calorie dense.

so, food has become more calorie dense.

secondly, the food industry discovered they could increase their profits massively by "supersizing" everything. chocolate bars have tripled in size and become an every day treat through clever marketing.

denser food, bigger portions, more prevelance.

thirdly, fast food, and the effect it has had on food our attitudes to food top it all off really.

the food we eat has changed massively over the last 50 years. we as a species havent caught up. our attitudes need to change and we need to be educated correctly from a young age about this.

simply, obesity is caused by eating more cals than your body needs.

but its more complex than that, the game is fixed against us for the food industries financial gain.

higher calorie dense food, bigger portions, more prevalence, no education.

tumblr_mdcr6eRZTb1r8ajks.gif

ok... added the cat to get your attention.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I have another theory :

Here's my theory:

if I was your teacher, I'd give you a B-, interesting premise, well argued, but for the most part an incorrect hypothesis. :)

If I were your teacher, I'd give you a D for saying that a hypothesis is incorrect. It's a hypothesis, a tentative assumption made in order to draw out and test its logical or empirical consequences. I somehow doubt you've done the testing necessary in the time since she posted to prove her hypothesis wrong.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    It really takes so little. You don't have to be a lazy slob to gain 20 pounds in a year. You don't have to binge. You don't have to have an unhealthy relationship with food. You just need to eat, over the course of a week, 1346 calories more than you expend.

That's like...
    Monday: A second piece of buttered toast for breakfast.
    Tuesday: A granola bar.
    Wednesday: 8 ounces of wine with dinner.
    Thursday: Mayo instead of mustard on your sandwich.
    Friday: Half a cup of ice cream.
    Saturday: A beer.
    Sunday: Slathering your pancakes with extra butter.

Or, heck--you could eat at or even slightly under maintenance 6 days a week, and on the 7th meet friends at Chili's for a couple of drinks and a big platter of appetizers.

And that's for a 20-pound gain over the course of a year. Halve it for a 10-pound gain, and in five years you'll still be 50 pounds overweight.

That's pretty much what did it for me. The combination of too much food coupled with increasing sedentism. For me to control my weight, I have to keep active and pay attention to make sure my calorie intake isn't greater than my output. Or, in other words: Eat less, move more.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I have another theory :

Here's my theory:

If I were your teacher, I'd give you a D for saying that a hypothesis is incorrect. It's a hypothesis, a tentative assumption made in order to draw out and test its logical or empirical consequences. I somehow doubt you've done the testing necessary in the time since she posted to prove her hypothesis wrong.

I would give all three of you an F for Failure...
  • linalovekitty
    linalovekitty Posts: 187
    Options
    socitety have replaced one addiction with another. and that is why people are obese

Your 20's example is not a good one because there was limited transportation via car, train, automobile etc ...so most people walked every where which means that they would have had a higher TDEE....

Food as an addiction sounds like an excuse IMO ..but I could be wrong...I don't really see how stuffing down a large pizza is more enjoyable then getting blasted on shots....I will take the alcohol buzz over any imagined "buzz" from woofing down donuts..all that does is make me feel like absolute crap...

with all due respect, I respectfully disagree with you about people not having a car and walking everywhere. Im talking about generations born in the 1920s who were giving birth to baby boombers in the 40s and 50s, and people def had cars then.

My point about the addiction, is that if you are at work with your coworkers and you get blitzed in the middle of the workday while everyone else is drinking diet cokes, there is judgement. you cant pull out a flask in the middle of a stressful day at your desk and not receive anything from judgement to termination. but you can easily reach into your desk and pull out some sour patch kids. you can rock out the chinese buffet during lunch with co workers and no one is going to confront like they would if you drank a pitcher of beer
  • Froody2
    Froody2 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    So many sweeping generalisations, so little time.

The reasons for the obesity epidemic are complex and the fixes for it are going to be a long time coming.

Recent research into hunger hormones, genetics and even the role of viruses indicate there is more to the story than people simply being lazy, not to mention the socioeconomics of obesity.

Moralising about gluttony and blaming individuals shuts down inquiry and curiosity into a multi-factorial, complex problem with no easy answers.

If obesity is genetic than why are my sisters thin and most of my family relatively normal sized and I am the fat one? Out of all my cousins I am the biggest and I am the only younger cousin with a serious weight problem. I know i eat way more than my sisters and I always have. My one sister eats like half or a quarter of her food and then says how full she is. My other sister is so self-disciplined with her eating and activity. She was very good at sports as a child and became a lifeguard as a teenager and runs a lot now.

I don't know? There's quite a bit of research being done on discordant twins in the UK, which suggests some stressful life event during childhood may have an effect on obesity levels. There's also the possibility that the environment in the womb during development can have a negative effect.

The research is far from complete and there's still a lot of questions not answered, but it's very interesting indeed.

A link to the Horizon program where I'm getting my information lol ..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01dzfgb
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I have another theory :

Here's my theory:

And I would expel you for...uh....giving F's like a JERK.

:laugh:
  • nikilis
    Options
    I have another theory :

Here's my theory:

well I think 3 out of four of you are d!cks (jk), hahaha. oh you did make me laugh with the F. I did enjoy that very much all of you, thank you.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I have another theory :

Here's my theory:

And your F would strengthen my resolve to prove my teacher wrong. :smile:
  • nikilis
    Options
    It really takes so little. You don't have to be a lazy slob to gain 20 pounds in a year. You don't have to binge. You don't have to have an unhealthy relationship with food. You just need to eat, over the course of a week, 1346 calories more than you expend.

That's like...
    Monday: A second piece of buttered toast for breakfast.
    Tuesday: A granola bar.
    Wednesday: 8 ounces of wine with dinner.
    Thursday: Mayo instead of mustard on your sandwich.
    Friday: Half a cup of ice cream.
    Saturday: A beer.
    Sunday: Slathering your pancakes with extra butter.

Or, heck--you could eat at or even slightly under maintenance 6 days a week, and on the 7th meet friends at Chili's for a couple of drinks and a big platter of appetizers.

And that's for a 20-pound gain over the course of a year. Halve it for a 10-pound gain, and in five years you'll still be 50 pounds overweight.

That's pretty much what did it for me. The combination of too much food coupled with increasing sedentism. For me to control my weight, I have to keep active and pay attention to make sure my calorie intake isn't greater than my output. Or, in other words: Eat less, move more.

woah, thats a really good point. I never really thought how easy it is to go over if you are already eating maintenance. good show.
  • nikilis
    Options
    the % population increase in obesity over the last half century coincides with the invention and introduction of High fructose corn syrup which has been reformulated into 100s of food additives which have made our food overall more calorie dense.

so, food has become more calorie dense.

secondly, the food industry discovered they could increase their profits massively by "supersizing" everything. chocolate bars have tripled in size and become an every day treat through clever marketing.

denser food, bigger portions, more prevelance.

thirdly, fast food, and the effect it has had on food our attitudes to food top it all off really.

the food we eat has changed massively over the last 50 years. we as a species havent caught up. our attitudes need to change and we need to be educated correctly from a young age about this.

simply, obesity is caused by eating more cals than your body needs.

but its more complex than that, the game is fixed against us for the food industries financial gain.

higher calorie dense food, bigger portions, more prevalence, no education.

tumblr_mdcr6eRZTb1r8ajks.gif

ok... added the cat to get your attention.

tumblr_inline_mh252gShRh1qc9lhz.gif

woah... this *kitten* is invisible.
  • DonnaRe2012
    DonnaRe2012 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Mindless eating....and I ain't talkin bout brussel sprouts......
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I have another theory :

Here's my theory:

I do believe that people eat for emotional reasons. But I also think that we are much more sedentary than our ancestors. We sit and drive our cars; they walked or sometimes rode a horse (and horseback riding is a pretty strenuous activity) or bicycled. We sit at our computers on the job and at home; they did hard manual labor. We have every labor-saving device imaginable; the average woman of the home, in the past, scrubbed the clothes in a washtub (or even in the river before that). She hauled water from the stream and heated it on the wood-burning kitchen stove in order to take a bath; we just turn a tap.

From a dietary angle, we eat 150 pounds of sugar per person per year and they ate very little sugar--less than five pounds a year. Almost all the increase of calories that we have over them is in the form of sugar and simple carbohydrates. We eat approximately the same amount of fat and slightly less protein. My great-grandmother was a Type I diabetic but I suspect that she would have been astounded by the number of Type II diabetics that we have today. Researchers are close to showing a causal link between high-fructose corn syrup and Type II (in addition to fatty liver).
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Food is ALWAYS available, no one waits to eat anymore.
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    My problem. Eating too much when I was pregnant. Not getting off my tush and exercising.
    Too much processed food with WAY too much Sodium in it.
    Fast food meals that exceded my calorie limit all by themselves.
    Need I continue?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I have another theory :

Here's my theory:

well I think 3 out of four of you are d!cks (jk), hahaha. oh you did make me laugh with the F. I did enjoy that very much all of you, thank you.

well since you laughed, you can all have A's now ...