What causes obesity?

Options
12345679»

Replies

• symonspatrick
    symonspatrick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I am sure it is different for other people but for me it was too many calories. I ate and drank more calories than my body needed and it held onto those extra calories in the form of fat. Now that I am eating too few calories it is using up those fat stores. It has not been an easy adjustment but it was a necessary one. I wish I was one of those eat more to lose more fat people but that hasn't worked for me unfortunately.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Excessive High Acid foods!

ETA: My Aunt used to ask Me, "How did you gain weight, you eat a THIRD of what I eat". I did NOT eat a lot of calories but what and when I did eat it was High Acid Foods and that PACKED on the pounds quickly, like...Fried foods, meat, starches, sugar laden treats, dairy products. This stuff seems Obscene to Me now.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Lack of personal responsibility
  • mistesh
    mistesh Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    It doesn't help that thirty some years ago we the people allowed our head of the national household to let the food industry forget about real food. It has gone downhill ever since. One in three is now obese. By 2050 one in three will be full blown diabetic.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    Excessive High Acid foods!

ETA: My Aunt used to ask Me, "How did you gain weight, you eat a THIRD of what I eat". I did NOT eat a lot of calories but what and when I did eat it was High Acid Foods and that PACKED on the pounds quickly, like...Fried foods, meat, starches, sugar laden treats, dairy products. This stuff seems Obscene to Me now.

so too much acid rather than just too much caloric intake? interesting......
  • GrabacrPD
    GrabacrPD Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Lack of motivation and a sense of entitlement...eg (ive been to the gym today...let me have that cream cake)

And the fact it takes time to lose the weight, if it was easy we would all be the ideal weight. Most people just lack the moral fiber to achieve something that isent a quick win
  • nikilis
    Options
    It doesn't help that thirty some years ago we the people allowed our head of the national household to let the food industry forget about real food. It has gone downhill ever since. One in three is now obese. By 2050 one in three will be full blown diabetic.

dont worry, by 2030 the machines will have risen up to overthrow humanity with entire countries rising out of the earth on hydraulic legs to engage in the final decisive apocalyptic battle over the planets resources. its all there. in the bible. so chill. its all good.

and i agree with you. :D
  • Catelyn88
    Catelyn88 Posts: 3
    Options
    I heard a few months ago, from a french doctor, that overweight came from...our brain.
    He said that, actually, it wasn't because "fat people" were "lazy people" and that was not because they are not "strong enough" to restrict themselves. Not at all. He said that it wasn't their fault, but their brain fault. And you just cannot fight your brain, that's just impossible.

Actually he was quite interesting. He said that our alimentation, today, was full of **** (sorry to say it like this, but it's the truth): full of additives, preservatives, fixatives, coloring, industrial sugar, etc. And that all those things are just not natural at all, and create a kind of dependency, directly in our brain. You can try to restrict your food alimentation and you can try to fight with your brain, try to say "no I'm not hungry", "no I don't need this, I'm strong enough to stop that", but actually your brain says to you that it wants that. And it'll do everything to break you and to obtain its...well...drugs. You can try to fight a certain time, but your brain will obtain what it wants, everytime. That's the moment when we "can't resist to temptation". Actually that doesn't mean that we are weak, but that we are responding to a natural instinct, asked by our own brain.

The solution, for him, was not to calculate calories or to restrict yourself, it was to learn how to eat without all those industrial drugs into your food. He gave solution to combinate aliments together to obtain simply healthy meals.

I think that it's an interesting point of view. Because it's too easy to say that overweight people are lazy people and that they're not strong enough. Seriously, most of them are doing their best, they're fighing with themselves everyday. No one can say that they are lazy or weak. That's insane. And condescending.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Hypnotoad
  • cybersheel
    cybersheel Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    To NIKILIS

Chill man - different acid.
    Ha Ha
  • nikilis
    Options
    Hypnotoad

heheheheheh.

tumblr_mm6wbjNK5K1rmgbxjo1_400.gif
  • cybersheel
    cybersheel Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I will eat sensibly and exercise more

sorry hypnotoad got me.....
  • GJRicketts
    GJRicketts Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Lots of variations of too much food and not enough exercise, too much sugar and conspiracy theories about corporations wanting to get us fat and keep us ill.

What about Government guidelines? I'm 6'1" and 222 lbs. I'm in this to lose fat but gain lean muscle. Apparently with a 35" waist, 47" chest and body fat percentage around 17% (and lowering all the time), I'm 4 lbs short of morbidly obese! I was weighed and my height noted and that was it! :explode:

No calipers or any other test to calculate actual body fat percentage - just a case of get on the scales and "Oh look - you fit in this bracket, you're morbidly obese". Amazingly, during a routine check up, my GP agreed that I looked fit and healthy and am not overweight - how can I be with a 35"waist and visible abs? - but still added me into the "Almost Morbidly Obese" bracket for his facts and figures because that's what the numbers he had to work with said he had to enter! So - common sense and living breathing proof in front of your eyes don't matter. Just a height and a weight. :angry:

When I stopped laughing I left the surgery and went to the gym to continue becoming even more Morbidly Obese.

I look down and I can see my feet. Heck, I look down and I can see all my other "attributes" without leaning forwards! I ain't fat and ain't no government know nothing bozo with a pencil and paper gonna tell me different! I can use a mirror, my belt my trouser waistline and common sense. If the belt don't fit, my trouser waistline is too tight and i look fat - three guesses! it's not rocket science.

Rant over now.:happy:
  • cherryd69
    cherryd69 Posts: 340
    Options
    Food..... plenty of tastey and frankly very morish *if i dont eat it i will die*

I love all the bad things, Steak (ribeye) Roast Duck, Pork crackling, Black Pudding, Bacon, Roast lamb..

I love them all in portions that defy my stomachs capacity level.

Man vs food aint got nothing on how much steak i can tuck away into my 5'4 frame.

Ribs, chicken wings, Cheesburgers.....

Sadly though, 14yrs of having what i want when i want has landed me her 82lb's over weight

Dont get me wrong, i love all the 'healthy foods' too, i love salads and fruit.... but if my choice was to loose weight eating the top selection or the latter..... im gonna opt for the frickin ribeye!

But, its not my choice.... i have to eat healthy!

*as a side note, would happily murder a person of choosing for a love fat ribeye right now

^ this is your answer...zero control ..

Steak is not bad for you if you eat it in moderation...

Yes, i lacked control/willpower so on an so forth.

I know this, hence why iv got to a point where iv said '*kitten* it, i need to change' which is what i am doing..
    Which i why i put my reasoning, particular circumstance forward....
  • lisamarie1780
    lisamarie1780 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Too much food, not enough movement.

And laziness. Lots of laziness.

Exactly, I thought it was obvious! Maybe I'm wrong..

You're not wrong... and it is obvious :laugh: