Pizza is not a "bad" food.

Options

Replies

• magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Pizza is horrible for you with its double whammy of Carbs + Fats at the same time. The reason you eat so many slices and get hungry soon and end up binge eating. Throws your insulin into complete wacko.

How many people do you actually see eating 1 - 2 slices.

I haven't touched pizza since last year. Probably one of the WORST foods you can eat while cutting. Period.

LOLWUT?! I'm cutting and I eat pizza. Your arguement is invalid. Nothing wrong with carbs or fat, let alone at the same time. Broscience much?

Yea, and you can eat McDonald while on a cut too. Doesn't mean its a good food to cut on. I'll stand behind one of the worst things to eat on a cut. Period.

Whats your TDEE, probably above 2000+ calories? Its not hard to maintain that with a slice of pizza thrown in.

Yeah my TDEE is around 4100. *shrug* I don't see the point? Do you have any sources for your claim that eating carbs and fat at the same time is bad for you or weight loss?

Im on keto, so perhaps I am biased. I am lifting stronger right now on Keto, while still cutting fat out (while the traditional calorie deficit makes you lose LBM) The point is really, most people on this forum (based on my limited reading) look to have a TDEE below 2000. You cannot eat pizza on that diet unless you have very very good willpower / portion control. I stand by it. And telling people its ok to eat a slice / the whole thing is not good information.

All calorie deficit will lead to loss of LBM as well. The trick is to try and minimize it. It is completely unavoidable though. Keto has nothing to do with it. Way to dodge the source question.
  • lioness803
    lioness803 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    No. You're a *kitten* for trying to single me out and make me feel bad in which you accomplished. My weight loss journey has been a very bumpy road, and I'm starting to learn that restricting certain foods out of my diet is what made me gain all of the weight back in the first place.

Look, It is your initial attitude and approach what makes not want to sugarcoat it. I'm not really trying to make you feel bad, but in order to achieve great results, sometimes you need to make sacrifices. I always love how people here support eating junk food, pizza, etc. Yes, they can eat whatever they want, but if you really want to achieve your weight loss goals, fast and healthy, use the internet, search for tips from the pros, those who compete, those who live dedicated to fitness 100% because it is their job, etc, because from them you will learn the most. Their bodies speak for themselves.

All I'm trying to say is, whether pizza is bad or not, is not the best food for you to be eating unless you don't mind slowing down your weight loss progress.

Sorry but I'm going to disagree with you here. First off, not everyone who is on this site has the goal of becoming a "bodybuilder". In order to achieve great results you do have to make some sacrifices like not going back to get 2nd's or 3rd's, not eating candy all day and 100 oz of Coca cola everyday etc....but that does not mean you need to not eat the foods you love in order to get great results. It's about moderation, caloric deficit, targeting macro/micronutrients and training hard. I eat 2 slices of pizza, real pizza, NY pizza, not that crap dominos or pizza hut and I had no trouble achieving great results. I eat 2 slices, not the whole pie. Not once has my weight/fat loss stalled. I'm getting ready to approach getting into single digit bf% and should be there by my June 16th Mexico trip and I have not given up pizza or tacos, why?. Because it's my favorite food so why deprive myself. I simply adjust my day accordingly and keep it moving. Want to know how many times I have binged since logging, not once, because I don't deprive myself of anything I want. Have fun eating your bro meals in because it's the only way to achieve true results. I'll be the guy sitting at the pizza shop on Sunday after leaving the weight room.
    Pizza is horrible for you with its double whammy of Carbs + Fats at the same time. The reason you eat so many slices and get hungry soon and end up binge eating. Throws your insulin into complete wacko.

I haven't touched pizza since last year. Probably one of the WORST foods you can eat while cutting. Period.

Your statement is just so wrong and dumb it doesn't warrant much of a response. Go read a book, do some research.
    And I'm one of those people you actually see eating 2 slices. FYI.....carbs and fats aren't evil.

If you really think eating simple carbs and fat at the same time is good for you, you need to get your head examined bud.

I never said carbs and fat are evil (considering 60% of my diet is fat). Eating at the same time however, yep. And bull**** on your work hard you can eat whatever you like. Some people don't have a TDEE over 2500. Anyone who says they can cheat, usually falls into that range. Its hard as hell when your @ 1800 a day, so don't spread your false hope to others on this board, particularly females who have a much lower TDEE then guys.
    Umm, I'm a girl, my calorie goal is about 1700 a day, and I eat pizza at least every other a week-Papa John's with extra cheese. I've averaged a 1 1/2 lb loss every week since I started in February.

Cause eating a pizza every other week is gonna screw up your macros..... lol at everyone saying they eat 1-2 slices a week and they are continuing to lose fat. OF COURSE YOU CAN DO THAT. YOU CAN EAT a whole bag of DORITOS and still lose weight. But does that mean its GOOD FOOD?

Enjoy your cheat meals, but this is pretty damn obvious.

Quit demonizing food! Any food can be BAD if you eat too much of it. I don't want to eat 1700 calories of broccoli a day, but if I eat a cup of broccoli with my 3 slices of pizza, I've gotten decent nutrition, decent macros, and I'm happy! People who think food is "good" or "bad" don't have a good relationship with their diets.

That is incorrect. Pizza is largely unhealthy (my favorite pizza has lots of pepperoni, cheese, and grease), and when weighed against other options that have the same total caloric content, the majority of those other options will be better.

For ex:
    1000 calories of the following:
    Chicken>Pizza>Butter
    From high protein to high carb to high fat.

ALTHOUGH, luckily the human body can handle unhealhy, delicious, greasy foods. So it does not do much harm (barring certain circumstances) to eat pizza on occasion if your goal is to lose weight (fat, not muscle).

And I'm not saying people should eat pizza everyday. Technically, I agree with you, I just don't like people saying that certain foods are evil and should be avoided by everyone at all times.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    http://jcem.endojournals.org/content/89/6/2717.abstract

Why do you think almost every diet is either "low fat" or "low carbs".

I did, and I stalled + my muscle retention was absolute ****. And had hunge hunger cravings after eating. I'm at the gym / running outside 6 days a week. If you want to slow down your progress go for it. I'm done defending, seems like all you pizza lovers are going bonkers over something real obvious.

If pizza is not bad food, then you can pretty much classify anything as good food.

When its time to bulk however, im sure i'll be eating some pizza at some point.

Here's the conclusion from your link:

These data suggest that energy restriction achieved by a very LC diet is equally effective as a LF diet strategy for weight loss and decreasing body fat in overweight and obese adults.

I don't see how this has anything to do with eating carbs and fat at the same time? It says low carb is equally as effective as low fat...it's just a calorie reduction, doesn't matter the source.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    This thread got crazy, I think some folks need to eat more, the lack of food is making them silly in the pants!
  • StaticEntropy
    StaticEntropy Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    No. You're a *kitten* for trying to single me out and make me feel bad in which you accomplished. My weight loss journey has been a very bumpy road, and I'm starting to learn that restricting certain foods out of my diet is what made me gain all of the weight back in the first place.

Look, It is your initial attitude and approach what makes not want to sugarcoat it. I'm not really trying to make you feel bad, but in order to achieve great results, sometimes you need to make sacrifices. I always love how people here support eating junk food, pizza, etc. Yes, they can eat whatever they want, but if you really want to achieve your weight loss goals, fast and healthy, use the internet, search for tips from the pros, those who compete, those who live dedicated to fitness 100% because it is their job, etc, because from them you will learn the most. Their bodies speak for themselves.

All I'm trying to say is, whether pizza is bad or not, is not the best food for you to be eating unless you don't mind slowing down your weight loss progress.

Sorry but I'm going to disagree with you here. First off, not everyone who is on this site has the goal of becoming a "bodybuilder". In order to achieve great results you do have to make some sacrifices like not going back to get 2nd's or 3rd's, not eating candy all day and 100 oz of Coca cola everyday etc....but that does not mean you need to not eat the foods you love in order to get great results. It's about moderation, caloric deficit, targeting macro/micronutrients and training hard. I eat 2 slices of pizza, real pizza, NY pizza, not that crap dominos or pizza hut and I had no trouble achieving great results. I eat 2 slices, not the whole pie. Not once has my weight/fat loss stalled. I'm getting ready to approach getting into single digit bf% and should be there by my June 16th Mexico trip and I have not given up pizza or tacos, why?. Because it's my favorite food so why deprive myself. I simply adjust my day accordingly and keep it moving. Want to know how many times I have binged since logging, not once, because I don't deprive myself of anything I want. Have fun eating your bro meals in because it's the only way to achieve true results. I'll be the guy sitting at the pizza shop on Sunday after leaving the weight room.

Your statement is just so wrong and dumb it doesn't warrant much of a response. Go read a book, do some research.
    And I'm one of those people you actually see eating 2 slices. FYI.....carbs and fats aren't evil.

If you really think eating simple carbs and fat at the same time is good for you, you need to get your head examined bud.

I never said carbs and fat are evil (considering 60% of my diet is fat). Eating at the same time however, yep. And bull**** on your work hard you can eat whatever you like. Some people don't have a TDEE over 2500. Anyone who says they can cheat, usually falls into that range. Its hard as hell when your @ 1800 a day, so don't spread your false hope to others on this board, particularly females who have a much lower TDEE then guys.

Please link me to all the solid evidence you have that you cannot lose fat while eating simple carbs and fat.

Also, those people you say that have a hard as hell time fitting pizza into their day because they only eat 1800 calories.......that's me. What do you think? I'm cutting on 2500 calories a day? Get real bud. Calling bs on the concept of eat and train hard is pure ignorance. Give it a shot, it works.

I did, and I stalled + my muscle retention was absolute ****. And had hunge hunger cravings after eating. I'm at the gym / running outside 6 days a week. If you want to slow down your progress go for it. I'm done defending, seems like all you pizza lovers are going bonkers over something real obvious.

If pizza is not bad food, then you can pretty much classify anything as good food.

Nice citation. Except that it does not look into the potentially disastrous results of combining fat and carbs that you seem to fear. The study only looks at low carb vs low fat, and nothing in between. So, allow me to retort:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1368980/

"Body composition

DEXA data indicated both the VLCARB and VLF diets resulted in significantly more lean mass loss as a proportion of weight loss (32% and 31%) compared to the HUF diet (21%) (P < 0.05) whereas the proportion of fat loss did not differ between diets (Table ​(Table4).4). DEXA data also indicated no significant differences in regional fat or lean mass loss between diets."

In this study: VLCARB is (4% carbs, 61% fat, 35% protein), VLF is (70% C, 10% F, 20% P) and HUF is (50% C, 30% F, 20% P)

Winner: HUF
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    gawd! I love pizza

tumblr_meqz0sSRKi1rrrq71o1_500.gif

tumblr_md6v340mce1rin469o1_500.gif
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    right ..one medium pizza from Domino's is like 2000 calories...that is some peoples intake for a day ...

if you make it yourself then that is different ..

but to go pizza has an insane amount of calories in it...

What does the amount of calories have to do with being healthy? There are plenty of foods that will fit in macros that are high calorie...
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    There are no bad foods only bad people. ;-)
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    2928508729_fac927a880.jpg
  • Brownsbacker4evr
    Brownsbacker4evr Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Thank you....I think I know what i'll be eating tonight. It's not considered "real" by Joyzee standuds but, it's still pizza!
  • Vehicon
    Vehicon Posts: 22
    Options
    My personal trainer chewed me out for eating pizzza, then I told him I ate it without the crust and he waa a bit happier. Followed up with a recipie for me that used hamburger(lean) as the crust! Haven't tried it yet but I plan on trying it soon. have heard about the cauliflower crust but don't have that recipie yet! In the mean time if I eat pizza, I don't eat the crust!

The cauliflower-based pizza crust tends to use a fair amount of cheese to hold it all together. I personally wouldn't recommend it if you're at all lactose intolerant (some people can tolerate cheese to an extent but the amount of cheese used in the crust could be problematic) or watching your fat intake. To me, Fat-free cheese is rubbery, flavorless garbage so that wouldn't even be a consideration.
  • Tiff050709
    Tiff050709 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Pizza is something I refuse to give up. I eat less and I don't have any meat toppings and I get thin crust. I have given up pop, all fried foods, sweets, red meat, fast food, etc.
    Anything in moderation is okay.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    My TDEE is around 2300, and when I'm losing weight, I eat about 2000 calories. My dinners, regardless of what I'm eating, are typically about 800-1200 calories. When I have pizza (often half a rising crust DiGiorno, sometimes homemade, sometimes takeout) it's also around 800-1200 calories. What's the big deal?

A pizza dinner tends to be a little lower on protein than a non-pizza dinner, but by switching up my breakfast, lunch and snacks, it can easily fit my macros. I have it about once a week. Sometimes more often. And I've been doing that the entire time I've been here (almost 2.5 years, and maintaining within 5 pounds of my goal weight for 2 years).

I'd say it's working pretty good for me.
  • ekahnicole
    ekahnicole Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Lawl this thread, so funny xD
  • captmiddy
    captmiddy Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Wow! People have an unhealthy view of food. Pizza isn't a food, it is a food concept. You can't say Pizza is unhealthy because I could show you 20 recipes for very healthy pizza that give you fiber, protein, low amounts of fat and the entire 9 yards. Domino's version of pizza is HORRIBLE for you. Doesn't mean you can't fit it into a macro or have it once in a while and be fine, but it really doesn't have much in the way of redeeming qualities. My wife and I make pizza about once ever couple weeks. Right now because we have been very busy we have been using a Naan bread each, I put light alfredo sauce on (1 T = about 12 calories and is all I use), 1/2 oz parm and 50g of red grapes, match this up with a spinach/romaine salad with peppers and I have a pretty good low calorie meal. When we make a crust we make a partial whole wheat crust.

So before we say Pizza is horrible, so is burger, so is chicken, so is .... but only when prepared in specific ways with specific recipes that make it horrible. Heck Cod is horrible if you bread it, slather it with butter and lemon and dip it in tartar sauce. There is no junk food, just junk preparations of food. But there are some people out there who will never be convinced. Demonizing food is a sure way to fail in having a healthy relationship with it.
  • shanniepk
    shanniepk Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I can only eat homeade...otherwise, I definitely gain weight...even only eating a slice or two. Wish I could, but personally, I just can't. People are definitely opinionated about their pizza...ha, ha, ha.
  • wwwdotcr
    wwwdotcr Posts: 128 Member
    Options

Here's the conclusion from your link:

These data suggest that energy restriction achieved by a very LC diet is equally effective as a LF diet strategy for weight loss and decreasing body fat in overweight and obese adults.

I don't see how this has anything to do with eating carbs and fat at the same time? It says low carb is equally as effective as low fat...it's just a calorie reduction, doesn't matter the source.
    http://biocadmin.otago.ac.nz/fmi/xsl/bioc2/learnbitslecture.xsl?-db=BIOC2web.fp7&-lay=Lectures&-recid=5263&-find=

This should explain everything in a scientific way. Certainly you can see that eating a high fat / high carb would not be at all optimal for weight loss.
  • kidtachyon
    kidtachyon Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks to you all, I am now craving pizza.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Thanks to you all, I am now craving pizza.

I literally had a pizza sub delivered after reading this thread. Pepperoni, ham and pineapple. MMm!