Pizza is not a "bad" food.

Options

Replies

• StaticEntropy
    StaticEntropy Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I eat around 1300 calories worth of pizza pretty much every Friday. I still get enough protein and remain at a caloric deficit. I am still decreasing my BF. IIFYM.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Pizza is unhealthy. The crust is what makes it unhealthy because it is loaded with carbs.
    Carbs aren't unhealthy. Your body needs carbs.
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    You said it yourself. It depends on what you put on it. Pizza can be bad. Why does the same old argument recycle so often? MFP should file this under "divisive". Too many people attack what other people do and don't eat around here. Some folks feel rotten after eating pizza. Some people feel rotten after eating eggs. Some folks feel rotten after eating veggies. To each his own. I eat what I like to eat. It's that simple.
  • lsmsrbls
    lsmsrbls Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    It is greasy. It is energy dense instead of nutrient dense. Nutrient dense foods are preferable to energy dense foods. Pizza sauce is supposedly made with tomatoes, right? Tomatoes are high in vitamins like Vitamin C, yet pizza sauce has no Vitamin C. It's like all these other processed foods that are made of things like potatoes and tomatoes, which have a lot nutrients, yet somehow have been stripped out during the process.

Pizza sauce has no vitamin C? Source?
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    It is greasy. It is energy dense instead of nutrient dense. Nutrient dense foods are preferable to energy dense foods. Pizza sauce is supposedly made with tomatoes, right? Tomatoes are high in vitamins like Vitamin C, yet pizza sauce has no Vitamin C. It's like all these other processed foods that are made of things like potatoes and tomatoes, which have a lot nutrients, yet somehow have been stripped out during the process.

Or maybe...

"The tomato sauce on pizza contains vitamins A, C, E, K, thiamine, riboflavin, niacin, pantothenic acid, vitamin B6, folate, choline, lycopene and lutein."

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/268575-nutritional-information-of-pizza/#ixzz2TMWVN4BK
  • redrumxtina
    redrumxtina Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    There are two types of carbs. Simple and Complex. Pizza crust is a simple carb and so is table sugar, corn syrup, most packaged cereals, honey, biscuits, candy and soda. etc. Complex carbs are more likely to provide nutrients and minerals that the body needs. Athletes usually prefer complex carbs, which do not turn into sugar as quickly as simple carbs. Complex units are burned to help fuel the body or are “stored in the liver and skeletal muscles for future use,” An example of a Complex carb is green beans., fruits, beans, soy milk, low fat yogurt etc I have lost 89 pounds by eating a low (simple) carb diet and high in protein. I do eat complex carbs just not simple carbs. If you just have to have pizza make the crust from whole meal bread and stay away from the pizza that is premade.
  • lisamarie1780
    lisamarie1780 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    its alsoo a source of fat and grease and caleries

Let me clean this up for you so people understand it better.

Pizza is full of saturated fats, hydrogenated oils and salt that will cause many people to have atherosclerosis and high blood pressure. It will also cause. congestive heart failure, strokes, pulmonary problems and kidney failure.

It's like any marginally nutritious processed food... yummy but not the best choice. I rather eat my unhealthy treat for the week as a huge slice of chocolate cake. If you chose to make yours pizza that's ok.

maybe if you ate it every day. Pizza doesn't cause heart failure.... an unhealthy lifestyle over a sustained period of time does. A healthy fit person having pizza once or twice a week is not on the death train... jeez :huh:
  • sweetchildomine
    sweetchildomine Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Why are people arguing about this?

It's simple.

A pizza from pizza hut is not "healthy" but a few slices every once in awhile won't kill you.

THE END
  • eazie2find
    eazie2find Posts: 1
    Options
    I Agree
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I'm sick and tired of hearing everyone on here and IRL say that pizza is unhealthy. Pizza is a source of carbohydrates, calcium, protein, and veggies (especially if you top it with them). As long as you aren't ordering a bunch of unhealthy toppings like pepperoni, it's actually quite healthy. So next time you think to yourself, "Oh, I can't have that," think again. Granted there are better choices out there, but pizza is definitely not the worst.

LOL @ your logic that pizza is healthy b/c it's "source of carbohydrates!" So is cake, Twinkies, donuts, cookies . . . . and just about most junk foods!

Now pizza does have some protein, calcium, and veggies too so it's not 100% junk food like donuts. So sure, if you want to argue that it's better for you than donuts I'd agree. However, pizza is still about 75% junk food.
  • GLMOC
    GLMOC Posts: 6
    Options
    My personal trainer chewed me out for eating pizzza, then I told him I ate it without the crust and he waa a bit happier. Followed up with a recipie for me that used hamburger(lean) as the crust! Haven't tried it yet but I plan on trying it soon. have heard about the cauliflower crust but don't have that recipie yet! In the mean time if I eat pizza, I don't eat the crust!
  • lsmsrbls
    lsmsrbls Posts: 232 Member
    Options

Or maybe...

"The tomato sauce on pizza contains vitamins A, C, E, K, thiamine, riboflavin, niacin, pantothenic acid, vitamin B6, folate, choline, lycopene and lutein."

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/268575-nutritional-information-of-pizza/#ixzz2TMWVN4BK

lol. It's easy to find sources that say that pizza sauce has vitamin C...you know, because it does. I was wondering where this idea that pizza sauce has no vitamin C came from.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    There are two types of carbs. Simple and Complex. Pizza crust is a simple carb and so is table sugar, corn syrup, most packaged cereals, honey, biscuits, candy and soda. etc. Complex carbs are more likely to provide nutrients and minerals that the body needs. Athletes usually prefer complex carbs, which do not turn into sugar as quickly as simple carbs. Complex units are burned to help fuel the body or are “stored in the liver and skeletal muscles for future use,” An example of a Complex carb is green beans., fruits, beans, soy milk, low fat yogurt etc I have lost 89 pounds by eating a low (simple) carb diet and high in protein. I do eat complex carbs just not simple carbs. If you just have to have pizza make the crust from whole meal bread and stay away from the pizza that is premade.
    No. Bread and pasta are complex carbs.

http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/nutrition/carbs/simple-vs-complex-carbohydrates.html#b
    http://www.cdc.gov/nutrition/everyone/basics/carbs.html
  • albosler
    albosler Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Every Friday I make a homemade (regular pizza, not "healthy" recipe) pizza on a large cookie sheet, cut it into 24 square pieces. 6 pieces (1/4 of the pizza) is very filling. You can eat this weekly and still stay w/in goals. The following recipe has reasonable nutritional analysis, but could be made even better if pepperoni were swapped with chicken or veggies, more whole wheat and less white flour is used, less cheese was used, or if you ate 4 pieces (very filling) rather than 6 pieces.

6 slices (a LOT of pizza):
    Cal: 551
    Carbs: 72
    Fat: 19
    Prot: 26
    Fiber: 2

Crust:
    Yeast dissolved in 1 cup water
    add 2 tsp olive oil and 1/2 tsp salt
    Add in 2.5 cups flour (white or a mixture of whole wheat and white - i use white)
    Let rise until it doubles in size
    Flatten onto large cookie sheet (use about 1-2tbsp corn meal to prevent sticking)

Sauce:
    15 oz can tomato sauce
    1 tbsp sugar
    1 tsp basil
    1 tsp oregano
    1/4 tsp garlic salt
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp garlic powder
    dash pepper

Toppings:
    2 cups part-skim mozzerella
    34 armour pepperoni

Pour about 1&1/2 cups sauce , use the rest for dipping crust.
  • mycupyourcake
    mycupyourcake Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    If you have additive intolerances (mine are sulphites) or mold allergies, then pizza especially with bacon or with pepperoni really messes with your perceived weight loss. I can pack on a good 5 pounds overnight in water weight when I eat a few slices of pizza. Just keep that in mind.
  • LeeshLove
    LeeshLove Posts: 197
    Options
    I like to make my own pizza....It's so much better for you, and I think it taste better than anything you can order!
  • mcouturezz
    mcouturezz Posts: 145
    Options
    everybody that eats a pizza dies.

FACT

LOLLLLLLlllll.. Everybody dies.. Fact :)
    Why not have pizza 'til that happens hehe
  • WindyJenny
    WindyJenny Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I like to make my own pizza....It's so much better for you, and I think it taste better than anything you can order!

Yes. This. All pizza is not created equal. I make mine from scratch - whole wheat dough, unsweetened tomato sauce, tons of veggies, and TUNA. Yes, I said it. A nice flaky tuna and a smidgen of olive oil make a great, protein-rich, heart-healthy pizza topping. (I ate it in Germany the first time - I was skeptical, but it was very tasty.)
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    No. Bread and pasta are complex carbs.

http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/nutrition/carbs/simple-vs-complex-carbohydrates.html#b
    http://www.cdc.gov/nutrition/everyone/basics/carbs.html

Thank you :smile:

First post is incorrect. Not to mention the fact that the fibre from veggies (and possibly crust) as well as protein in the meal slows the speed of digestion anyway.
  • rubenchitito
    rubenchitito Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Pizza is one of the worst "Foods" out there. It is just a source of simple carbs, with very few micro-nutrients, high in calories and high in grease.

Eat and Apple, then eat Pizza and tell me the difference. An apple makes you feel energetic and ready to go. Pizza makes you feel the same way as if you ate a big mac.

You can't argue that Pizza is not healthy. That is just ignorant.