Pizza is not a "bad" food.

Options

Replies

• Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Pizza is a bad food choice if you are trying to lose weight, compared to healthier food choices.
    Only if you don't believe in portion control.

In for the pizza party.

Enjoy your sliver.
  • rosemaryhon
    rosemaryhon Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I'm sick and tired of hearing everyone on here and IRL say that pizza is unhealthy. Pizza is a source of carbohydrates, calcium, protein, and veggies (especially if you top it with them). As long as you aren't ordering a bunch of unhealthy toppings like pepperoni, it's actually quite healthy. So next time you think to yourself, "Oh, I can't have that," think again. Granted there are better choices out there, but pizza is definitely not the worst.

Hm, I certainly haven't heard "everyone" saying pizza is unhealthy ~ in fact seems to me very many agree with your point. I know I do, I love an occasional pizza and don't feel I can't have it.

I'm wondering where you go this impression?
  • BluejayNY
    BluejayNY Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I don't have trouble fitting pizza into my life...even cheap crappy pizza.

For frozen I buy DiGiorno pizzeria! pepperoni pizza. I eat 1/4 a pizza at 340 calories and if I am still hungry I have a side salad with light italian or vinaigrette. Is it nutritious? Well no, has lots of sodium and fat. I am always well under fat for macros for whatever reason so I certainly don't feel bad about the 14 grams of fat/

For cheap delivery I do Papa John's. Veggie pizza: 2 slices of a medium pizza is 400 calories and plenty for me.

And yes on a special occasion I will go to a special pizza place and eat a caloric amount I prefer not to even know. i just eat well to compensate and watch the scale.

I like pizza in my life. It's just about moderation
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    It's just dirty and naughty and needs to be spanked!
  • Nightterror218
    Nightterror218 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    right ..one medium pizza from Domino's is like 2000 calories...that is some peoples intake for a day ...

if you make it yourself then that is different ..

but to go pizza has an insane amount of calories in it...

Yeah WTF Is in Domino's the calorie content is INSANE do they like coat it in bacon fat? I suppose if they did that it would taste a lot better than it does, haha

But I agree pizza can be made healthier, and is good especially if you add veggies but a lot of times it is high calorie because it's lots of carbs and fat, my biggest problem with it is I don't find it all that filling per serving .

mmmmm bacon
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Pizza is a bad food choice if you are trying to lose weight, compared to healthier food choices.

In for the pizza party.

Enjoy your sliver.

I made pizza last night. Homemade wheat crust stretched out to about 10" (200 calories), <1/4c. sauce (40 calories), 1/2 c. reduced fat mozz (160 calories), some peppers, mushrooms, & a splash of balsamic, cooked on the grill. Legit delicious brick oven style pizza for just over 400 calories. Didn't taste or seem like diet at all.

Bbq burgers tonight. Also at 400 calories and no feelings of deprivation in sight.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    When I get or make pizza, I typically eat about 800-1200 calories worth for dinner. That's what I normally have for dinner anyway. On pizza night, if I'm not careful with my other meals, my macros might be a little bit off... a little low on protein, but they tend to balance over the course of the week to be within a percentage point of on target.

Pizza ain't hurtin' a damn thing. 'Cept maybe my grammar.
  • majica8
    majica8 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I had half a large Pizza Hut pizza recently. Fit my goals and I stayed under for the day. Nothing wrong with pizza (or any food) if you don't eat too much.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options

In for the pizza party.

Enjoy your sliver.
    I enjoy both of my pieces, when I get pizza. Sometimes, if I've been particularly active, I enjoy 4 slices. . . without going over goal for the day.

So, thanks.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    When I get or make pizza, I typically eat about 800-1200 calories worth for dinner. That's what I normally have for dinner anyway. On pizza night, if I'm not careful with my other meals, my macros might be a little bit off... a little low on protein, but they tend to balance over the course of the week to be within a percentage point of on target.

Pizza ain't hurtin' a damn thing. 'Cept maybe my grammar.

Yesss! :bigsmile:
  • lcransaw
    lcransaw Posts: 95
    Options
    I always make my own pizza now that I am trying to cut down on calories. I realized that I could get more healthier
    ingredients and less fat by substituting high fat and calorie ingredients the chains use.
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Waiting on two mediums now. One will not survive the evening.
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    Pizza is absolutely horrible for you.

Especially with a beer.

And Football.

And...

****, I need a pizza
  • Alphaeater
    Alphaeater Posts: 12
    Options
    Isn't this where someone jumps in and starts talking about how cauliflower is awesome?

Seriously, though, how can anyone defend pizza as a "good" food? It has white bread, which has almost no nutritive value and has gluten in it; cheese, which has way too much protein and fat and probably has hormone issues; oil, which is non-nutritive; and tomato sauce, which is fine. Plus the toppings, most of which are meat, and most of which are too high in fat and protein, and could have all kinds of hormone issues as well.

To make it healthy, you'd need gluten-free dough, goat or soy cheese, way less oil (and probably healthier oil), with the tomato sauce. Plus maybe some healthier toppings.

Does anyone have any home-made/healthier pizza recipes to share? That, I could use right now.
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with the title of this topic, though a local mom and pop pizzeria is probably a better choice than a chain like Domino's (Blech ... I won't even it Domino's when completely blasted ... lol)
  • XanthePersephone
    XanthePersephone Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    everybody that eats a pizza dies.

FACT

everybody that doesn't eat pizza dies.

ALSO FACT
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    As others have mentioned, eating something like a Dominoes would be the full calorie intake for some people, so it wouldn't be worth it.

I personally enjoy pizza, and I get thin n crispy crust pizzas, usually the roasted vegetable ones. The whole pizza is usually around 750 calories, so you could get away with eating the whole thing, splitting it in half and having some rustic oven cooked chips is just as nice. Throw in some low cal mayo and ketchup - lovely!
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Isn't this where someone jumps in and starts talking about how cauliflower is awesome?

Seriously, though, how can anyone defend pizza as a "good" food? It has white bread, which has almost no nutritive value and has gluten in it; cheese, which has way too much protein and fat and probably has hormone issues; oil, which is non-nutritive; and tomato sauce, which is fine. Plus the toppings, most of which are meat, and most of which are too high in fat and protein, and could have all kinds of hormone issues as well.

To make it healthy, you'd need gluten-free dough, goat or soy cheese, way less oil (and probably healthier oil), with the tomato sauce. Plus maybe some healthier toppings.

Does anyone have any home-made/healthier pizza recipes to share? That, I could use right now.

since when is protein and fat bad? I have a hard time getting enough protein every day. Cheese is a good way of getting some in me. Also, people have survived on bread for hundreds of years. maybe it's not the best nutrition, but to say it has almost no value isn't right. Are there better foods out there to eat? Sure, but as long as you eat in moderation, there is no reason why you can't have a couple slices of pizza once in a while. for me the main issue with pizza is the sodium, but i'm not going to deprive myself of a couple slices if I feel like having them.
  • SJLS2013
    SJLS2013 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    We home make our pizza cause I'm lactose intolerant, and it's fun! I still find I have to work the rest of the days food around the pizza- it doesn't just slot into the dinner space in my diary like most other dinner I have but I don't feel at all bad about eating pizza.
    Pizza is not a bad food, if made properly
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options

By your list of requirements and restrictions, I'd say the perfect "pizza" for you would be to just eat an organic tomato.