can u lose weight eating cheese?

Options

Replies

• Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    As long as I keep it within my calorie limit and portion it out, can I still lose weight if I eat it everyday?
    Sure. I have everything. Cheese, Beer, ice cream... all on 2,000 calories a day. (Not all of those thing every day)
  • nibblesbunny
    nibblesbunny Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yes, as long as the cheese fits into your daily calorie limit. Also it keeps me satiated. I love dry curd cottage cheese + full fat plain yogurt + ricotta with a pinch of salt for lunch, along with some fruit as a side. I will eat lovely cheeses with my wine as well. Food is divine! Just practice moderation and limits.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    As long as it's not velveeta or other processed to crap cheese, then it's fine. Cheese can be a source of fats, and a calorie boost when you need it. I love cheese (I have a Cheesus Christ grater, no lies), and I've just learned to have it in moderation, and this also lets me enjoy it more.

Even if it's velveeta or some other processed goodness, it's fine as long as it fits within your calorie goals.
  • AlyssaJoJo
    AlyssaJoJo Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I eat cheese every day. Not nearly as much as before I started MFP - but cheese is my life.
  • Mario_Az
    Mario_Az Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    i eat

30ndy8n.jpg
  • joeysfacts
    joeysfacts Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I eat cheese every day, and have gotten to my goal weight. So yes, eat cheese. Just like everything else, eat it in moderation
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    I eat cheese nearly every day, sometimes 2 or 3 times a day. It has never hindered my weight loss. Cheese is a perfect food - protein, fat and calcium. Only drawback is it's somewhat high in sodium. I love cheese because it's a great snack that keeps me full.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    i eat

30ndy8n.jpg

Please don't. "Fat free" cheese is cheese that has been chemicalized to remove the fat. Fat in cheese helps synthesize the calcium.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    i eat

30ndy8n.jpg
    I tried that stuff - it had the consistency (and taste) of shredded plastic, didn't melt worth a darn and generally didn't resemble real cheese in any way but the color. Just downright nasty. I'll stick to real cheese and make it fit within my calories/macros - I'd rather enjoy what I'm eating than choke down some horrible imitation substitute in the name of saving a few calories.

And as far as the OP - I've eaten cheese throughout my weight loss, has never caused a problem for me. As long as you maintain a caloric deficit, no particular food/food group is going to prevent weight gain.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Sure you can, I do. Just make sure it's the good stuff, not yellow/orange plastic/processed/fat free crap. REAL cheese. Like a good provolone or a smoked gouda.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I think moderation is key. I used to pour 2 cups of shredded cheese on any casserole or pizza I made for my ex husband and I. That freaks me out now! When I make any recipe that involves cheese, I use it very sparingly. Once you're used to skimping a bit on the cheese you do not even notice the difference.
  • freddi11e
    freddi11e Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    if you're on the no carb/low carb diet then cheese is great for weight loss. my friend lost 30 pounds on the low carb diet and cheese was her go-to snack.

i personally need carbs in my life so i choose low cal instead. best not to do both lol.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Cheese is obviously too delicious to be part of any weight loss plan.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Meanwhile in Othorexia land

tumblr_m71u9gRIR31r17813o1_500.gif
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Nope. Cheese makes you a gain a pound for every ounce you eat.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I thought I already answered this thread. This exact one? Same OP I think I recall. Is this a thread revival?
  • JenCatwalk
    JenCatwalk Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I eat cheese most days of the week. Just try not to eat too much because of the high saturated fat content.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    i eat

30ndy8n.jpg

Please don't. "Fat free" cheese is cheese that has been chemicalized to remove the fat. Fat in cheese helps synthesize the calcium.
    I have the full fat stuff for the sake of flavor and was thinking of switching for the sake of calories. Was. Guess you learn something every day!
  • eazy_
    eazy_ Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I eat two ounces of cheese everyday.
  • Nightterror218
    Nightterror218 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    my guilty pleasure