Suicide Warning

Options

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Okay... but doctors build relationships with the sales reps over the course of years. Most drugs that are presented by the sales rep have already been thoroughly vetted to prove their merits. Sure, the doc is going to take feedback from his patients, but if all things are equal, then the doc is going to prescribe the drugs of the sales rep he likes best first. Then, if his patients don't like it, he will offer them the other guy's drug.

Bias is usually not a concious decision. You know that, right?

You're assuming a strong connection in the mind of the physician between the drug rep and the drug itself. I will agree that the drug rep visits influence the physician to some degree, but it's not because physicians are so dumb and biased that they hand out pills because they like the drug rep. It's more of an issue with familiarity and knowledge. Physicians by and large don't spend an awful lot of time reading literature about new drugs. They learn about new drugs from drug reps who come and tell them all about it and answer questions. The function of the drug reps is to raise awareness of and make the physician feel comfortable with the drug, and that's largely why they prescribe those particular drugs.

Physician comfort with a medication comes from knowledge, awareness, and acceptance in the medical community. Visits from drug reps increase the physician's knowledge and awareness and give the impression of community acceptance. It's not that they just like the reps.

And it's certainly not because they get kickbacks.
  • estrange22
    estrange22 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    What did they prescribe? In the past I have taken Trazadone as a sleep aid. It was initially developed as a psych drug but its very effective as a sleep aid. It caused far fewer side effects and is far less addictive than medications like ambien that were designed and tested for sleep disorders.

I am also prescribed Trazadone for sleep....only side effect I have had is dry sinuses sometimes. I just take it on those days when I feel like I won't be able to settle my mind.
  • Bownzi
    Bownzi Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    ORRRRRR.... you could start doing MMA style fighting and have someone knock you out every night... Sounds like the effects are similar...
  • tlmackey
    tlmackey Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I drink this tea by Celestial Seasonings. Puts me right to sleep when I have trouble sleeping. It's called sleepytime tea by Celestial Seasonings. Great stuff!! Try that
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    If you have thyroid issues, I would insist on a thyroid check before you take any other meds. I had a thyroidectomy about 8 years ago and when my thyroid hormone dose is off, my sleep is terrible. If your doctor won't do a thyroid check, get another doctor.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Okay... but doctors build relationships with the sales reps over the course of years. Most drugs that are presented by the sales rep have already been thoroughly vetted to prove their merits. Sure, the doc is going to take feedback from his patients, but if all things are equal, then the doc is going to prescribe the drugs of the sales rep he likes best first. Then, if his patients don't like it, he will offer them the other guy's drug.

You're assuming a strong connection in the mind of the physician between the drug rep and the drug itself. I will agree that the drug rep visits influence the physician to some degree, but it's not because physicians are so dumb and biased that they hand out pills because they like the drug rep. It's more of an issue with familiarity and knowledge. Physicians by and large don't spend an awful lot of time reading literature about new drugs. They learn about new drugs from drug reps who come and tell them all about it and answer questions. The function of the drug reps is to raise awareness of and make the physician feel comfortable with the drug, and that's largely why they prescribe those particular drugs.

Physician comfort with a medication comes from knowledge, awareness, and acceptance in the medical community. Visits from drug reps increase the physician's knowledge and awareness and give the impression of community acceptance. It's not that they just like the reps.

Agreed. But you have to admit that its a very fine line. The drug that is most commonly prescribed is not necessarily the most helpful one on the market. It's the one that has been best promoted by the manufacturer.
  • happycauseIride
    happycauseIride Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I had a doc do that to me once too. Only I wasn't having trouble sleeping I was feeling tired and lethargic and so she prescribed an anti-depressant to give me more energy. Since when do anti-depressants give people energy??

I think most docs are too prescription pushy. I think they get some incentives from the drug companies to push them onto people. It drives me nuts!!

Great catch on your script!
  • action_figure
    action_figure Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    What did they prescribe? In the past I have taken Trazadone as a sleep aid. It was initially developed as a psych drug but its very effective as a sleep aid. It caused far fewer side effects and is far less addictive than medications like ambien that were designed and tested for sleep disorders.

This. Trazodone is one of the least bad sleep aids out there. They even give it to super old people because it's less dangerous than ambien, etc. Also fewer side effects.
  • plumwd
    plumwd Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Check out http://www.sellingsickness.com and http://www.woodymatters.com. I know the woman who is the owner of those sites. Her husband was prescribed Zoloft for a sleep aid, and killed himself 6 weeks later. She found him hanging in their garage. Now she is an activist for stronger drug laws, and anti-pharma.

It's up to the people to make sure to do the research because unless you have a really good dr., he's not going to tell you. It's all about the $$$.
  • kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    My doctor has me use seroquel to help me sleep. It is the ONLY thing that has EVER helped me get a full night's sleep. It is actually a med to treat bi-polar disorder, which I'm totally not! I am so glad that she had me try it because I'm finally able to function during the day without falling asleep!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I had a doc do that to me once too. Only I wasn't having trouble sleeping I was feeling tired and lethargic and so she prescribed an anti-depressant to give me more energy. Since when do anti-depressants give people energy??

I think most docs are too prescription pushy. I think they get some incentives from the drug companies to push them onto people. It drives me nuts!!

Great catch on your script!

This is pretty much the worst post in the world. The first paragraph is total bunk, the second paragraph is a lie, and the final sentence is an ironic and ridiculous ending considering that the OP's "catch" was completely meaningless.
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    I think the fighting on this thread is a good cure for insomnia...I mean seriously if you look at the reply's it is going around in circles.

Why count sheep when you can count quotes.
  • NanahcubJess
    NanahcubJess Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I had been having trouble sleeping for a year and avoided the doctor until about a month ago. My doctor also prescribed me a medication that was originally and typically used for mood disorders. I did some research on the drug and found out that it was pretty common for doctors to use this medication for people who can't sleep, while it was intended for use in a very different way, it also benefitted people who couldn't sleep. I take the medication every night and I've been sleeping like a baby with no side effects other than cotton mouth when I get up in the morning. I have had no adverse effects or feelings of depression. It's possible that the drug you were prescribed may work in the same fashion and could possibly even be the same drug. I'm not depresssed and I've never taken medication for moods or what have you. I've had the same doctor since I was an infant and my whole family sees him. It might be weird but your doc may be onto something :)
  • cals83
    cals83 Posts: 131
    Options
    I think it is pretty normal for doctors to prescribe that type of medicine for sleeping problems especially if your insomnia is caused by your mind racing. I had a bout a few years ago and my doctor gave me Xanax for it. I was petrified of getting addicted so I only took half of a dose when I absolutely needed it (after being in bed for a couple of hours and not falling asleep) and after a few months whatever was causing my insomnia stopped and I didn't need them anymore.
  • samischell
    samischell Posts: 40
    Options
    Not that I'm aware of.

I've been having trouble sleeping lately and called inquiring about whether the dosage for my thyroid could be off, causing me to wake after a few hours of sleep. I spoke with the nurse, who in turn spoke with the doctor, and she thought a sleep aid might help. So I figured I'd try it or at least have it for weeks where I just can't sleep. I'm definitely not taking it now.

have you tried any of the over the counter sleep aids (tylinol pm, zzzquil?) or perhaps a more natural route such as melitonin? those might be gentler than and anti depresant....it's worth a shot :)
  • smiley245
    smiley245 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I know people are recomending Melatonin, and have had great success with it, but be forewarned even this has side effects.
    I for one have been advised not to take it as it can interfere with with my condition/medication.

"Melatonin can influence immune function and it's not known how it affects people with autoimmune conditions such as multiple sclerosis, psoriasis, Crohn's disease, rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, and type 1 diabetes.

Melatonin supplements may worsen the symptoms in people with depression, so people with depression should only use melatonin under the supervision of a health care provider. Melatonin is broken down by the liver, so people with liver disease should avoid melatonin.

Possible Drug Interactions
    Melatonin may interact with the following drugs:

•High blood pressure medication

•Drugs that suppress the immune system, such as cyclosporine

•Antidepressant medication

•Corticosteroids (used for inflammatory conditions such as arthritis)

•Benzodiazepines, such as diazepam (Valium), and other drugs that cause sedation

•Herbs that cause sleepiness or drowsiness, such as kava kava and valerian

•The herb St. John's wort "

I did take trazadone (half the starter dose when needed) no ill side effects back then,
    I will mention that I now take benadryl (or generic equivalent), as per recomended by my dr...I don't think she gets a kickback :tongue:

edit to add: talk to your dr, ask questions and decide from there what will work best for you.
  • smmadsen
    smmadsen Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Trazadone is actually one of the most common medications used for insomnia. What your doctor is probably concerned about is the fact that insomnia can cause many health problems. It can actually lead to depression. So that being said just because it is given for depression to does not mean you are depressed or will become depressed.

Of course whenever you can avoid taking medication for something, without ultimately harming your body, is good.
    Sometimes taking a medication and modifying your sleep behavior before bed can allow your body time to get back in sync.

Good luck with whatever you decide!
  • Cam_
    Cam_ Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I had been trying to quit smoking many years ago and my doctor (whom I refer to as a drug dealer) prescribed me Zyban. Turns out that it was originally developed as an antidepressant and they discovered one of the side effects was that it appeared to reduce the urge for nicotine. I tried it for a while but after sitting at work like a zombie for a month I stopped taking it. In hindsight, it's as if the drug manufacturer said "Hey. How can we sell more of this stuff? Seems to help smokers? Great! Let's give a kickback to all the doctors who can sell it as a smoking cessation tool".

In the end, I discovered the best way to get off an addictive drug (nicotine) was *not* by using other drugs. (Quitting "cold turkey" has the highest success rate despite what the drug companies lead you to believe). The drug companies have a history of "buying" their way into doctor's offices, research programs and even government just to sell their products.

My point (yes I have one :) ) is that it's good to check out all options before hopping onto the drug du jour. :)
  • Busymomshantell
    Busymomshantell Posts: 126 Member
    Options

^^ Truth in this. Drug reps do provide doctors with lunches - true, but they discuss the ins and outs of the drug and answer the doctors questions. The doctors I worked for would even request the reps to come in to discuss different things about the drugs to see if it was a common problem/solution and such. The doctors I worked for prescribed the best drug for the patients condition. If there are two similar drugs, they would probably more than not prescribe the one that they knew more about and felt comfortable prescribing. The doctors do not want to be in a medical lawsuit for giving the wrong drugs out.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Check out http://www.sellingsickness.com and http://www.woodymatters.com. I know the woman who is the owner of those sites. Her husband was prescribed Zoloft for a sleep aid, and killed himself 6 weeks later. She found him hanging in their garage. Now she is an activist for stronger drug laws, and anti-pharma.

It's up to the people to make sure to do the research because unless you have a really good dr., he's not going to tell you. It's all about the $$$.

^^^^^^THIS^^^^ Yep--like I said, we all need learn about these powerful chemicals that are being prescribed like candy. We need to learn enough to protect ourselves and our families. http://www.cchrint.org/