Replies

• DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    2zi7vjb.jpg
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Do people really not call and ask their doctor's office questions when things like this happen?
  • xLexa
    xLexa Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Just because you keep talking isn't making you right :) Just so you know. I gave my opinion, you don't agree np, I do not agree with your interpretation on my input, and hey guess what. I am the one who knows what I said and how it was meant and on what basis it was said, So, lets get this straight, I have reason to suggest what I did, talking from personal experiences, and suggesting an alternative. How does that make you any different from what you accuse me of being. Like I said pot/kettle scenario. Now I did not plan on getting into a disagreement with anyone tonight so I am done here, continue with your bashing, and interpretation of what I said, it wont change my opinion and I am pretty sure you won't change yours. Oh and don't forget to log the cals you burned from all that typing and quoting ;)
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Oh so you have reason to suggest the doctor is a criminal.

Presumably the reason is that he didn't prescribe the drug you, who didn't examine the OP and literally know nothing whatsoever about her history, think she should take.

Seriously. Suggesting that someone's doctor is a criminal and a moron simply because he didn't prescribe your favorite drug is not only stupid, it's dangerous. Making someone who is already needlessly afraid of the drug she was given even more afraid by telling her that her doctor is a criminal is just absolutely ridiculous.
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    How do you know I know nothing about it?

Because if you did, you wouldn't criticize the fact that a physician who examined a patient decided not to prescribe a particular medication when you know nothing whatsoever about the patient, her history, or her symptoms.

Someone called the doctor a moron for not telling her to take melatonin. That was a stupid thing to say. Then you basically agreed, and then said that he didn't tell her to take it because he doesn't make money off it, implying he somehow has some under-the-table illegal deal with the local pharmacy to prescribe this medication.

If you knew anything about it, you wouldn't have accused the doctor of choosing not to give melatonin simply because he can't make money from it. And you wouldn't have agreed with the poster calling the doctor a moron for not telling her to take melatonin.

You are one of those, "I'm right" people and take specific parts of what a person says and blows it all up and ignores the rest. Ok you're right happy now? Where is the eye rolling emoticon when you need one. I guess this will have to do. :yawn:

GL OP I hope you get the information you are looking for be it from your doc or from your own research :)
    Collective_Internet_Hug_zps2cea702c.jpg
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    Just because you keep talking isn't making you right.
    Actually from my perspective reading back through this thread, he is right.

Telling people to ignore medical advice and stop taking a medication IS HARMFUL. He is helping by pointing this out. You are coming off as flippant and arrogant by arguing this.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    too lazy to read the whole thread...

it's not the med that makes people suicidal. if you take it you won't want to leap off a bridge.

it's a problem in people who are so depressed that they might actually be so low that they're too low to even be bothered with suicide. you lift them up and, briefly, they pass through the point where they're still depressed and unhappy with life but they're feeling enough energy & motivation to actually get up and do something... like maybe top themselves.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    also, i hope the OP hasn't voiced the 'kickbacks' theory in real life, because that would be slander and could land a person in court. gotta be super careful about unproven accusations.
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    No I did NOT accuse I flippantly suggested it was a possibility you read it how you want. And if the doctor flippantly fobbed off melatonin as dangerous for "no reason" then she is an idiot. If there was a reason she should have told the OP why it wasn't suitable for her. Just because someone is an educated professional does not mean they are always right.

Mr Right ... jeeesh even tell you you are right and you cant shut it. Go on believing what you will, I know what I meant, again have nice night.

The doctor, according to the OP, said that over the counter medication was more dangerous NOT that melatonin was dangerous. The reason is that it isn't as carefully regulated (often no regulation at all) as prescription medication. "Supplements" don't have to undergo testing for purity or toxins or actual ingredients at all. Many supplements, when tested by consumer watchdog groups, are found to have heavy metals, poisons, and other ingredients that can be harmful to people as well as often not actually having in them what they say they do. A supplement that says it has X grams of melatonin doesn't necessarily have any melatonin at all.

To the OP, there are many medications prescribed for off-label uses because they are safer or more effective at treating the problem than other medications. Ambien can be addictive and have serious side effects including sleep walking, sleep driving, etc... On the other hand, Trazedone has been found to be an effective sleep aid less likely to have as many side effects/addictive qualities.

ETA: Also, always ask your physician what they are prescribing, why and what the possible side effects and expected side effects are.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    A doc getting kickbacks for this particular drug is pretty unlikely. I agree wtih the above poster that some doctors will not recommend over the counter supplements such as melatonin not necessarily because melatonin itself is dangerous, but because of poor regulating laws for these OTC supplements, you don't actually know what you are really getting and how those unknown or unstudied elements can affect the body.

All that said, OP, have a longer conversation with your doctor and find out why he prescribed this rather than doing the tests you asked for.
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I used to not be able to sleep, try to do as many pushups and jumping jacks or whatever until you can't anymore. Usually knocks me out.

YES
  • tinabatinaflc
    Options
    ZMA ZMA ZMA! love it for help sleeping...
  • KimberlyDCZ
    KimberlyDCZ Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Hi OP! You obviously have every right to decide which meds you do and do not want to take, so I'm certainly not trying to tell you what to do. But I thought I'd offer this tidbit in case it changes your opinion at all about the suicide warning aspect of this:

The main reason anti-depressants have a warning label (and are related to an increased risk of suicide for some people) is that some people who are severely depressed have not yet killed themselves only because they just cannot work up the energy. When they start taking anti-depressants they start to feel a little better and have more energy - just enough to come up with and follow through with a suicide plan. So this probably would not be an issue in your case. (I'm not a drug expert or anything, but I'm a clinical psych graduate student so I've had a little exposure to discussion about this issue.) It IS surprising that your doc didn't talk to you about what he/she was prescribing and why, and what the potential risks are.

Good luck with your sleep! Not sleeping is the worst. Hope you are able to get some rest - by whichever means works best for you. :)

This is FAR from the truth in my case. A good theory I suppose but no. I was NOT depressed and I was prescribed Cymbalta, an anti-depressant, which also works for pain. 3 months later, I began to have agressive thoughts and thoughts of suicide. The withdrawals from coming off of this caused these and other side effects to amplify resulting in an entire month of my life being put on hold.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    yep-a few years ago my doc changed my IBS meds since they were pulling it off the shelves. He prescribed PROZAC since its side effects helped with IBS- there was no way in hell I was gonna take it! CRAZY!
  • xynyth
    xynyth Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I haven't read through the replies so I don't know if this has been suggested yet but back when I used to have a lot of trouble with insomnia I took a Valerian root supplement before bed. It worked WONDERS and was all natural.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    google melatonin, it is used as a sleep aid and is natural, maybe it is an alternative for you.

http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/tc/melatonin-overview

I asked about this and she said over the counter meds were not as safe.

I've been very pleased with the doc and the care I received up until this point that I didn't think to question it. The drug was Trazadone.

I've had trazadone for sleep (I'm not depressed either). My doctor said it turned out not to work well as an antidepressant but they discovered that it does help with sleep so that's usually why it is prescribed now. It worked for me for awhile and then I switched to flexeril. I did not find that melatonin was particularly effective, so maybe he doesn't think it's strong enough for you.

The best thing to do is to talk to your doctor about your preferences regarding medication. I used to be very opposed to taking antidepressants, even for off-label uses, but eventually I got over it. Just because he prescribed a drug that is labeled an antidepressant doesn't mean he thinks you're depressed. Far from it. It just means he thinks it's the best medication for your problem. But I'm sure he'd be willing to give you something else if you request no antidepressants.
  • ashlbubba
    ashlbubba Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    OP- I use Melatonin to fall asleep at night, it works wonders for me. You may want to check it out.

Otherwise I've heard prescribing antidepressants for sleep aid quite a bit.
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    If potential negative side effects from a drug worry you, then do not take any drugs. Ever. Drugs are prescribed for their positive side effect profile, the docs weigh the desired positive side effect profile against the potential negative side effect profile (as well as the incidence rate of the reported negative side effects) and then choose a drug.
    There is not, and never will be, a drug with no potential negative side effects.
  • smoootka
    smoootka Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    mostly EVERY medicine is like that... you end up with something so much worse than what you originally needed it for.. good thing you read it first, doctors are stupid sometimes...

^this

except that doctors aren't stupid, they are very smart, but mostly for their own good. they get well paid from pushing certain pills and that's probably why you got those pills in the first time. hope you solve your sleeping problems soon.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I had brain surgery in February (they had to go in through the back of my head, so they cut the muscles that basically make your neck hold your head up) and they gave me Valium for a muscle relaxer. I have only ever heard of people using it for anxiety. Many drugs have multiple uses. It's not uncommon at all. Call your doctor and/or pharmacist if you have specific questions or concerns. I would assume (of course I am not a doctor so verify this) that the suicide concern is very rare and more likely in a person with depression problems.