Suicide Warning

Options

Replies

• xLexa
    xLexa Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    google melatonin, it is used as a sleep aid and is natural, maybe it is an alternative for you.

http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/tc/melatonin-overview

if a doctor doesnt mention melatonin first hes an idiot

Or he does not make any money from mentioning melatonin ;)
  • Willowana
    Willowana Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Doc put me on Cymbalta for Fibromyalgia because aside from being an antidepressant, it's also supposed to deaden nerve pain.

My words to him exactly: "I'm not depressed. I'm in pain. There's a big difference."

I tried it out for a month, and promptly stopped. It didn't do jack for pain, and it didn't stop me from crying. Why? Because I wasn't depressed. I was in pain.

You are right to not take it, OP. I told my doc flat out that I don't want anything screwing around with my brain chemistry. There is nothing wrong with my brain. At least not in this respect. :laugh:
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Oh my God, I'm so sorry to hear this. Life is worth living!! Seriously! If you're overwhelmed you can call the suicides prevention hotline. They can help you. Seriously don't do anything drastic.
  • cpilson
    cpilson Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Many drugs are efficacious when used off-label.

Indeed, this is how many drugs--Wellbutrin, Minoxidil, etc.--were discovered; by chance while using them for something else.

Anti-depressant meds now require a "black-box" warning. This is because some of them (most notably, Prozac) slightly elevated suicide risk in late-teen users.

I've just read now that you might have thyroid issues. Before you take anything, get that figured out. It's that important, and could hold that much sway over the rest of your health. Also, ask for more than TSH and Free T1 tests; if you drink fluoridated water, this can sit in situ and, with these tests, make it appear that everything is just fine when it is not.
  • Nrspears
    Nrspears Posts: 1
    Options
    is it ambien? if not try asking for that.
  • cpilson
    cpilson Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    google melatonin, it is used as a sleep aid and is natural, maybe it is an alternative for you.

if a doctor doesnt mention melatonin first hes an idiot

Not necessarily.

He could be on the take.
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Yikes, that does sound scary. Have you ever taken melatonin? My sister in law used to take it in pill form (got it from walmart I believe) and said that they worked for her. I believe that is one of the benefits of eating turkey too. LOL Must be why a lot of the men...at least in this family...nap after thanksgiving dinner. :wink:
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    I took some tablets that had a side effect of male lactation once (I tried to milk myself to no avail). It's how medication works. There are side effects. They have to list every one of them to prevent them getting sued.
  • 2stepscloser
    2stepscloser Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options

I asked about this and she said over the counter meds were not as safe.

I've been very pleased with the doc and the care I received up until this point that I didn't think to question it. The drug was Trazadone.
  • Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Doctors don't get paid per prescription. It's an off label use that is used commonly in practice. No shenanigans.
  • LMT2012
    LMT2012 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    If you do not trust medical professionals to know more than you, why go see one? There is a pervasive trend of paranoia over Western medicine that is worsening. This is not directed at the OP, but more generally. A doctor should address concerns, but anyone who goes in assuming it's about kickbacks, worsening your symptoms, wanting to shut you up is either seeing the wrong doc or should consider visiting a sage on the side of a mountain somewheres. Save the time and resources for people who are willing to put a modicum of faith in modern medicine.
    Offa soap box.
    PS for the OP. A 1/4 dose of antihistamine works for me every time. Talk about inexpensive and safe...
  • Junken_Diraffe
    Junken_Diraffe Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I take an anti-psychotic med meant for those with schizophrenia for migraines. It is the only thing that helps every time. It has to be administered in a hospital through an iv. I would recommend talking with your Dr. again to find out more on it. It is likely it can help you.
  • FootballGamer58
    FootballGamer58 Posts: 1,310 Member
    Options

I asked about this and she said over the counter meds were not as safe.

I've been very pleased with the doc and the care I received up until this point that I didn't think to question it. The drug was Trazadone.

then your doc is a moron....... melatonin is beyond safe...
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I don't get how u filled a prescription not knowing what it was before u paid for it. The pharmacy should have asked if u have any questions about the meds when unpicked them up. Sounds like u didn't ask any questions. Also doctor should have explained the drug to u before calling it in. That's 2 different licensed professionals. This just doesn't add up. Hope u figure out how to get some sleep but this sounds bogus.
  • Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    And trazodone is less addictive than the others out there, ambien, lunesta, etc.
  • Bobbie63
    Bobbie63 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I love subliminal tapes for sleep problems, I mean I love them. After studying it a bit, I can do it for myself. Its fantastic :)
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    First I agree and know that anti-depressants in small doses can have multiples uses. The Op is over reacting and should talk to her doctor directly.

I also agree that it's up to you to decide whether or not you want to take a drug. Especially when it is addictive and has unpleasant side effects, but that is not the case with the op. Of course, people with true psychiatric problems need their meds, that's not what I am talking about. But, so often doctors try to deal with every problem by prescribing pills (when there are other options for minor problems), and certainly doctors make other kinds of mistakes as well. And now there are so many people addicted to prescription drugs (I'm sure everyone has seen first hand the crazy cycle some people can get into with doctors just prescribing more and more meds to deal with a spiral of increasing problems, I am talking about the anxiety meds). Sometimes doctors do prescribe a med that is not the best for that person's situation (without a proper evaluation). Doctors are not infallible. I would talk to the doctor if I were you. It's a different when it's a straight forward medical issue with a clearly understood reason behind it as well as a well understood treatment.

Now, with that said, I love my doctor and I am not afraid of western medicine. My mother has Leukemia and I want her to listen to her doctor and take the meds. But, even she developed liver damage because they overdosed her (she is tiny and weighs 95 pounds and they admitted they don't know how to dose her). So, she stopped and now the doctor agrees she is doing better off the meds for now, and he is monitoring her.

I also do not think they are getting kickbacks.

I agree being anti-western medication for all things is ridiculous. It's also ridiculous to think that all doctors are good doctors and never make mistakes. I was prescribed a medication that a person should not take while breastfeeding when I was breastfeeding (it was for minor bloating and not a serious problem at all, it was only even noticeable because my visceral fat is so low). The drug also had the side effect of becoming slightly intoxicated and having blurred vision (it was not a rare side effect, it was a guaranteed side effect). I called the doctor and he agreed you can't take it while breastfeeding, but he assumed I was going to stop breastfeeding because he thought 8 months old was scandalously too old to be still breastfeeding. Even though it is recommended for a year or more.
  • Willowana
    Willowana Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    If you do not trust medical professionals to know more than you, why go see one? There is a pervasive trend of paranoia over Western medicine that is worsening. This is not directed at the OP, but more generally. A doctor should address concerns, but anyone who goes in assuming it's about kickbacks, worsening your symptoms, wanting to shut you up is either seeing the wrong doc or should consider visiting a sage on the side of a mountain somewheres. Save the time and resources for people who are willing to put a modicum of faith in modern medicine.
    Offa soap box.
    PS for the OP. A 1/4 dose of antihistamine works for me every time. Talk about inexpensive and safe...

Really? Sorry. but it's my body, and I have a say in whether or not I want a specific drug IN my body. Medical professionals do NOT always know best and that's why open dialogue is important between a patient and the one that is prescribing.

This isn't the old days. People can Google the side effects and contraindictions of all drugs. I've had doctors prescibe cocktails of drugs that contradicted other drugs they previously prescribed. When I brought that to their attention, they immediately realized their screw ups and prescribed me something else. Doctors are not God. I don't blindly follow them anymore than a sage on the side of a mountain.
  • NanaWubbie
    NanaWubbie Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you called to inquire about your thyroid medication, and mentioned insomnia, and whoever relayed the issue just heard insomnia, and not thyroid. Yes, if your thyoid levels are out of whack it can cause sleep problems. Call the office back, tell them you need a lab appointment to have your thyroid levels checked.

All meds have side effects, and it is the duty of the pharmacist to warn you of possible effects. The warnings are for you to be on the lookout for undesired effects, and are not meant to instill fear, but to increase awareness. It is common, and usually quite safe to be treated with an antidepressant, such as trazodone, for sleep issues. It has few side effects the next morning, and has a gerat safety record, and it is not expensive, It does also is used as an antidepressant.

In your case, I think you should check back with the doc and get him/her on the same page as you. This could be just a simple miscommunication.
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Trazadone is a common drug that is/was used as an antidepressent, but is used more commonly as a sleep aid now. My husband uses it as needed. It works, and is not addictive. Melatonin doesn't work for him. (Works for me though!)