Suicide Warning

Options

Replies

• Joannesmith2818
    Joannesmith2818 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Hi, many drugs have multiple uses.

For example I am currently taking amitriptylene for chronic migraines/headache. It is a very low dose for me. This drug is used for anxiety at higher doses, general pain management, sleeping disorder ectect.
    One of the side effects said you may suffer suicidal thoughts!! There were also some other worrying side effects, such as drowsyness, but they are all manageable. And if you really dont get on with one type, there are numerous other ones you can try.

I take the dose in the evening and I have slept like a baby ever since, and I havnt had a headache for weeks (considering I had them daily).

Its up to you whether you take them or not. Have you tried other more natural remedies like camomile tea or like someone else suggested, just completly knackering yourself out??
  • traceytwink
    traceytwink Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I think you need to call your doctor and ask why you were give them, I suffer with bouts of sleep deprivation I use herbal drops called valerian so far this has worked every time it's worth a try if you don't want to go down the road of meds hope ou get it sorted there's nothing worse just lying there waiting for sleep to come ????
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Not that I'm aware of.

I've been having trouble sleeping lately and called inquiring about whether the dosage for my thyroid could be off, causing me to wake after a few hours of sleep. I spoke with the nurse, who in turn spoke with the doctor, and she thought a sleep aid might help. So I figured I'd try it or at least have it for weeks where I just can't sleep. I'm definitely not taking it now.

Are you on Synthroid or natural Armour thyroxine? You should visit the thyroid forum---there are some VERY knowledgeable ladies there who can give you guidance. A much more natural sleep aid is melatonin (it is a hormone that your body produces under the influence of low light and it prepares one for sleep). My husband takes it and sleeps like a baby now--in spite of chronic sciatic pain. But I'm not sure that hypothyroid folk can/should take it. Ask over on the thyroid forum---there's bound to be someone there who knows about it. Another thought is to lower the lights an hour before bedtime (and you should stay off the computer and television as well). The bright light into the eye, stimulates the pineal gland and diminishes your own natural supply of melatonin.

The reason why your doc prescribed an antidepressant is likely because, waking after a few hours of sleep and being unable to get back to sleep is a "symptom of depression". He's (and even female docs often believe this) been trained in medical school that most women are depressed most of the time. If what you have been prescribed is an SSRI, you should know that there are actual structural changes that occur in the brain after a few weeks (that is why it takes up to six weeks for them to begin "working"). I wouldn't touch them with a ten-foot pole. In the counseling I have done with people who are on them (both before and after they went on them), I have discovered that it affects thought processes. No one really talks about this "side-effect" but I'm convinced that it does something to disturb normal thinking. It isn't well-known (and it is hushed up in the corporate media) but most of the homicidal shooters have a long history of being on psychoactive drugs of some sort--but particularly SSRIs. The drug companies have known for a long time that about 5% of the people who are on them "long-term", will have a "psychotic break" at some point. Not everyone becomes homicidal when they have a psychotic break---I knew one lady who ended up in E.R. claiming she was the reincarnated Queen of Sheba.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'm torn.

On one hand, I'm glad my doctor doesn't prescribe things frivolously. He told me I'm better off continuing to take Benadryl to help with my sleep issues, because the RX sleep aids have so many side effects. (And as a bonus, I don't wake up with the sniffles, even with cats snuggling next to me all night.)

On the other hand, I can't get him to prescribe me Xanax even though I have an anxiety disorder.

I wish I had a mixture of him and Dr. Feelgood. :laugh:
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    google melatonin, it is used as a sleep aid and is natural, maybe it is an alternative for you.

http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/tc/melatonin-overview

if a doctor doesnt mention melatonin first hes an idiot

Or he does not make any money from mentioning melatonin ;)

That was my doc's first prescribed drug. Yes, ***prescribed*** from the BACH military hospital pharmacy. Blanket statements people have made in this thread claiming most docs only prescribe drugs to get a kick back is based in ignorance. To get into the pharmacy formulary, in a military hospital, the drug had to be vetted by a large number of doctors and other health care personnel. After everyone looked at the cost/benefit ratio, taking patient outcomes into consideration, the drug made the cut. It didn't turn out to be what I needed, ramping all the way up to 21 mg per night over several months did nothing except move my initial bedtime up 45 minutes to an hour. No effect at all on the frequent waking problem. The salient point is that is was available and was tried first.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    So today I picked up a prescription for a sleep aid the doctor called in for me at the pharmacy and stapled to it was a suicide warning note. Ok weird...

I proceed to read more about the medication (still unsure about whether I'm going to take it) and I find out the doc has called in an anti depressant /anxiety med to help me with sleep. Totally confused at this point. I read further and apparently this drug helps with the treatment of insomnia is one of the "other" uses.

The doctor must have lost her mind if she thinks I'm taking this medication with no history/signs of depression/anxiety. I think I'll just be content with my lack of sleep. Thankfully I have good insurance and didn't pay much for it but it makes me wonder what kind of kick back she's getting from the drug manufacturer. :ohwell:

Dosage.

It's actually a pretty common perscription for insomnia.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Not that I'm aware of.

I've been having trouble sleeping lately and called inquiring about whether the dosage for my thyroid could be off, causing me to wake after a few hours of sleep. I spoke with the nurse, who in turn spoke with the doctor, and she thought a sleep aid might help. So I figured I'd try it or at least have it for weeks where I just can't sleep. I'm definitely not taking it now.

Are you on Synthroid or natural Armour thyroxine? You should visit the thyroid forum---there are some VERY knowledgeable ladies there who can give you guidance. A much more natural sleep aid is melatonin (it is a hormone that your body produces under the influence of low light and it prepares one for sleep). My husband takes it and sleeps like a baby now--in spite of chronic sciatic pain. But I'm not sure that hypothyroid folk can/should take it. Ask over on the thyroid forum---there's bound to be someone there who knows about it. Another thought is to lower the lights an hour before bedtime (and you should stay off the computer and television as well). The bright light into the eye, stimulates the pineal gland and diminishes your own natural supply of melatonin.

The reason why your doc prescribed an antidepressant is likely because, waking after a few hours of sleep and being unable to get back to sleep is a "symptom of depression". He's (and even female docs often believe this) been trained in medical school that most women are depressed most of the time. If what you have been prescribed is an SSRI, you should know that there are actual structural changes that occur in the brain after a few weeks (that is why it takes up to six weeks for them to begin "working"). I wouldn't touch them with a ten-foot pole. In the counseling I have done with people who are on them (both before and after they went on them), I have discovered that it affects thought processes. No one really talks about this "side-effect" but I'm convinced that it does something to disturb normal thinking. It isn't well-known (and it is hushed up in the corporate media) but most of the homicidal shooters have a long history of being on psychoactive drugs of some sort--but particularly SSRIs. The drug companies have known for a long time that about 5% of the people who are on them "long-term", will have a "psychotic break" at some point. Not everyone becomes homicidal when they have a psychotic break---I knew one lady who ended up in E.R. claiming she was the reincarnated Queen of Sheba.

What makes you think it's that the antidepressants caused their break? It seems more likely that they had an underlying mental illness that caused them to need antidepressants and to eventually have a psychotic break. Maybe I'm missing something?
  • Brandon74
    Brandon74 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Melatonin and chamomille tea works wonders for me. Good thing you read up on that medication.
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Sounds totally reasonable to me - low doses of Diazepam are used to treat anxiety and panic attacks. Higher doses are prescribed for sleep.

Maybe you do need them if you're that paranoid about your doctor getting kick backs from a drug company??
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Not that I'm aware of.

Many of these medicines only work cumulatively - often they take a month to kick in, so its not the sort of thing you can just take now and then. Read all the accompanying literature, then go and discuss with your doc. Switching to caffeine free or milky latenight drinks mght be a better solution!
  • BeeMarieG
    BeeMarieG Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Hi - I didn't read all the other comments, so I apologize if I am repeating something already said.

For mild sleep issues, this works GREAT. It was recommended by my naturopath and, while I don't have trouble sleeping, I don't feel like it's restful sleep (fibromyalgia) and have noticed a difference with this product.

http://www.amazon.com/Sundown-Naturals-Melatonin-Nightime-Capsules/dp/B004X8JMT0

Hope that helps!
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I remember taking Zyban to quit smoking. It started off as an anti-depressant but they found that it blocked the effects of nicotine.

Really bad stuff. It made me feel stoned.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    But I'm not sure that hypothyroid folk can/should take it.

The reason why your doc prescribed an antidepressant is likely because, waking after a few hours of sleep and being unable to get back to sleep is a "symptom of depression".

He's (and even female docs often believe this) been trained in medical school that most women are depressed most of the time.

Are you freakin kidding me?

Seriously?

You should be banned for posting this bunk.
  • janehen12
    janehen12 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    My doc only knew to put me on a lower dose of my anti depressants cos they were making me sleep all the time...showed my body didn't need that much any more..
  • jadermary
    jadermary Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I take melatonin and valerian root every night...they work for me, no side effects
    :happy:
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    Go to the Dollar Tree.
    Go to the drug aisle.
    Look for this:
    127651.jpg
    If it's not there, it might be inappropriately placed by the registers since they look like breathmint strips, and people are stupid.
    They taste like cough syrup, but worse. BUT wash it down with a few sips of water and it's gone.
    Sleeping in 15-20 minutes without trouble waking up the next day.
    It works for me (hypothyroid following a treatment to get rid of hyperthyroidism) and my teenage son (ADHD, not medicated).
    If it doesn't work for you, you've only wasted a dollar.

They also have pills there called "Relax and Sleep" which is also melatonin. They smell awful. I think they work, but the strips are quicker and seem to work better to me.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Not that I'm aware of.

What makes you think it's that the antidepressants caused their break? It seems more likely that they had an underlying mental illness that caused them to need antidepressants and to eventually have a psychotic break. Maybe I'm missing something?

There is no proof that the antidepressants "caused" their break, but in clinical trials, the drug companies themselves uncovered the link to psychotic breaks. It stands to reason that anything powerful enough to cause structural changes in the brain are strong enough to disturb normal cognition. Pretty much all of the homicidal mass shootings have occurred since the invention and widespread use of SSRIs in 1987. There are MANY now in the psychiatric profession who are growing very uncomfortable with the level of psychiatric drugs that are part of their profession. "Talk therapy" is a thing of the past. I'll post some links later to some websites where psychiatrists themselves are speaking out.
  • cobes24
    cobes24 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Maybe you do need them if you're that paranoid about your doctor getting kick backs from a drug company??

THIS. If a drug has been around long enough to have more than one use, it's old and likely no longer name brand, so thus, cheap. Not to mention that the FDA regulates the hell out of pharmaceutical companies and kickbacks are largely a thing of the past. While I understand the ethics of it, as a prescriber who only joined the ranks 2 yrs ago I feel like I missed the glory days of pharma excess--no free trips for me!

Also--did anyone else notice how the OP called the Dr "she" but somehow everyone in the thread is calling the Dr "he"?
  • GnomeQueen84
    GnomeQueen84 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I think your doctor should be communicating with you more clearly.
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    yeah, you DON"T want to go there..

tylenol pm works great for me.