Suicide Warning

Options

Replies

• billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    You have inspired me to stop taking my anti phycotics. Thank you for having the courge to show me the way. The path to all the glorious lightiening that lights our ways. Praise you in this darkest hour that you lift me to find that what which is devine drug free exisgtant. goodby solian. I am now drug free for 4 days. happily
  • Justjamie0418
    Justjamie0418 Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    Hey OP, I'll take those off of your hands if you don't want them...

Word.

You can also try valarian root.

y son is autistic and has issues with sleep. He was reccomended melatonin but had a bad reaction to it ( hallucinations) and he is on a psych med with side effect warnings, it works great and he isnt depressed.
  • tehzephyrsong
    tehzephyrsong Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    last year i was trying to lose weight and was getting b12 shots with amino acids to help me, the doctor that was giving me the shots did my consultation and stuff and prescribed some pills, when i went to get them filled i also noticed it was an anti depressant/anxienty... a co worker looked them up and found out that they were also testing them on people trying to lose weight.. i guess so you dont get depressed while dieting???... i didnt take them i was afraid to become addicted to them and end up with bigger problems.. i wonder if they are the same!

Anti-depressants are not habit-forming. The only prescription drugs that can be habit forming are stimulants (e.g., Adderall), tranquilizers (e.g., Xanax), and opioid painkillers (e.g., OxyContin), because they work fast. Anti-depressant medications take a couple of weeks of regular administration to build up to a useful level of the drug in the bloodstream; pop a Lortab and you're feeling good in a matter of minutes, and then when it's out of your system you have withdrawals. That's your body over-compensating for the effect of the drug, so once it's gone, you're SO tired/SO anxious/in SO much pain that you have to take another pill. Painkillers are particularly habit-forming because pain is such a basic problem - it means "something is wrong and you need to fix it," but your brain isn't really particular about how you fix it, as long as you stop the signal as quickly as possible. It's possible that that particular anti-depressant also had some appetite-suppressant qualities, for whatever reason (it probably contained a minor stimulant, likely not enough to be habit-forming, but then again if you drink coffee regularly you've already got a stimulant addiction).
  • jus_in_bello
    jus_in_bello Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I proceed to read more about the medication (still unsure about whether I'm going to take it) and I find out the doc has called in an anti depressant /anxiety med to help me with sleep. Totally confused at this point. I read further and apparently this drug helps with the treatment of insomnia is one of the "other" uses.

Was it trazodone? Because it's a rather commonly used sleep aid. It can be used as an anti-depressant but that's not it's only use. Kind of like how some girls take BC to help with acne, it's not necessarily the reason it was created but it's effective treatment for something else. Why not take advantage of that.

Traz (and a few other ADs that double as sleep aids) are often used as an alternative to Ambien which is a narcotic and highly addictive. I started on Traz and eventually had to switch to Ambien because I was on traz so long it was no longer effective.

Give it a shot, worst that's going to happen is it'll knock you out or it won't work at all.
    last year i was trying to lose weight and was getting b12 shots with amino acids to help me, the doctor that was giving me the shots did my consultation and stuff and prescribed some pills, when i went to get them filled i also noticed it was an anti depressant/anxienty... a co worker looked them up and found out that they were also testing them on people trying to lose weight.. i guess so you dont get depressed while dieting???... i didnt take them i was afraid to become addicted to them and end up with bigger problems.. i wonder if they are the same!

My anti-depressants are often used to help people quit smoking, they're also classified as "appetite neutral" but for me they're a suppressant because that's how my body works. They aren't addictive (I've gone off them many times) and they aren't habit forming.

Quick Question: Why do you folks who don't trust your doctor continue to go to them?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Anti-depressants are not habit-forming. The only prescription drugs that can be habit forming are stimulants (e.g., Adderall), tranquilizers (e.g., Xanax), and opioid painkillers (e.g., OxyContin)

Wow, you sound like a doctor or pharmacist who is an expert on prescription medication and really has business telling people over the internet what's what in such broad, sweeping terms.
  • xLexa
    xLexa Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    google melatonin, it is used as a sleep aid and is natural, maybe it is an alternative for you.

http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/tc/melatonin-overview

if a doctor doesnt mention melatonin first hes an idiot

Or he does not make any money from mentioning melatonin ;)

Or neither of you are doctors, neither of you examined the patient, and neither of you know what the eff you're talking about.

Never claimed to be a doctor, and do not have to be to suggest that the OP researches alternatives. Also do not have to be to know that some doctors do throw pills at patients because of the financial benefits. Sorry if this offends you but it is not beyond reason to suggest it could be a possibility. Have nice night now.
  • tehzephyrsong
    tehzephyrsong Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Anti-depressants are not habit-forming. The only prescription drugs that can be habit forming are stimulants (e.g., Adderall), tranquilizers (e.g., Xanax), and opioid painkillers (e.g., OxyContin)

Wow, you sound like a doctor or pharmacist who is an expert on prescription medication and really has business telling people over the internet what's what in such broad, sweeping terms.

Wow, you sound like someone with nothing whatsoever to add to this discussion.
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Doctor called in a prescription without telling u what it was first?
    Something doesn't add up here.

Who lets their doctor call in a script without asking what it is and what the side effects are?

People need to stop blaming doctors for things like this and learn how to ask questions.
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options

So ativan and xanax or non habit forming? In what world? I guess my addiction to Paxil for a while there is impossible...I am an anomaly.
  • jonnythan
    Options

Adding nothing is way better than adding a bunch of potentially dangerous misinformation about prescription drugs, I think.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    google melatonin, it is used as a sleep aid and is natural, maybe it is an alternative for you.

Or neither of you are doctors, neither of you examined the patient, and neither of you know what the eff you're talking about.

Never claimed to be a doctor, and do not have to be to suggest that the OP researches alternatives. Also do not have to be to know that some doctors do throw pills at patients because of the financial benefits. Sorry if this offends you but it is not beyond reason to suggest it could be a possibility. Have nice night now.

Suggesting that someone research alternatives is fine.

Determining that a doctor is a moron, or that he prescribes medications because he gets kickbacks, based on some random internet post from a user who doesn't understand why she was prescribed a particular medication is not "suggesting that someone research alternatives." It's blasting a highly educated professional on a subject you know nothing about for a decision whose circumstances you are completely ignorant.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    My doctor has me taking rat poison. If I don't monitor my dosage I'll die, just like the rats do. But as long as I take the right amount it keeps me alive.

Many meds have multiple uses. No bonus points given for overacting to warning labels. If you have questions, contact the pharmacist and ask her. Or your doctor. Not the forums.

Good for you for taking it. I have seen many patient's die from discovering they were on "rat poison" and stopping taking it. That's when they develop pulmonary embolisms, Myocardial Infarctions, or strokes.
  • xLexa
    Options

Suggesting that someone research alternatives is fine.

Determining that a doctor is a moron, or that he prescribes medications because he gets kickbacks, based on some random internet post from a user who doesn't understand why she was prescribed a particular medication is not "suggesting that someone research alternatives." It's blasting a highly educated professional on a subject you know nothing about for a decision whose circumstances you are completely ignorant.

How do you know I know nothing about it? How do you know I have not experienced it and therefore feel the need to let a person who is concerned that a doctor so easily prescribed anti depressants to her WITHOUT adequately explaining to her the why? Shouldn't that be one of the steps the doctor should have taken? Or was it a case of, Oh she has sleep issues let me give her a pill. And to say that melatonin is dangerous, it is a natural hormone made in our bodies, personally that speaks volumes to me about the doctor. Now if OP is taking something else that interacts badly with the melatonin it is understandable, but from the information given, or more to the point the lack of information given to the patient raises a bit of a red flag to me.

In essence you are making assumptions about me and you know absolutely nothing about me, my experiences or why I would suggest what I did. Pot calling the kettle much?
  • jonnythan
    Options
    How do you know I know nothing about it?

Because if you did, you wouldn't criticize the fact that a physician who examined a patient decided not to prescribe a particular medication when you know nothing whatsoever about the patient, her history, or her symptoms.

Someone called the doctor a moron for not telling her to take melatonin. That was a stupid thing to say. Then you basically agreed, and then said that he didn't tell her to take it because he doesn't make money off it, implying he somehow has some under-the-table illegal deal with the local pharmacy to prescribe this medication.

If you knew anything about it, you wouldn't have accused the doctor of choosing not to give melatonin simply because he can't make money from it. And you wouldn't have agreed with the poster calling the doctor a moron for not telling her to take melatonin.
  • xLexa
    Options

Because if you did, you wouldn't criticize the fact that a physician who examined a patient decided not to prescribe a particular medication when you know nothing whatsoever about the patient, her history, or her symptoms.

Someone called the doctor a moron for not telling her to take melatonin. That was a stupid thing to say. Then you basically agreed, and then said that he didn't tell her to take it because he doesn't make money off it, implying he somehow has some under-the-table illegal deal with the local pharmacy to prescribe this medication.

If you knew anything about it, you wouldn't have accused the doctor of choosing not to give melatonin simply because he can't make money from it. And you wouldn't have agreed with the poster calling the doctor a moron for not telling her to take melatonin.

You are one of those, "I'm right" people and take specific parts of what a person says and blows it all up and ignores the rest. Ok you're right happy now? Where is the eye rolling emoticon when you need one. I guess this will have to do. :yawn:

GL OP I hope you get the information you are looking for be it from your doc or from your own research :)
  • jonnythan
    Options

You are one of those, "I'm right" people and take specific parts of what a person says and blows it all up and ignores the rest. Ok you're right happy now? Where is the eye rolling emoticon when you need one. I guess this will have to do. :yawn:

No, I'm one of those "people harshly criticizing the decisions of a highly educated professional when they know absolutely nothing whatsoever about the particular case, and outright accusing them of illegal activities even though there's zero reason in the world to think it, are idiots" kind of people.

Look, you accused the doctor of participating in illegal activities simply because he didn't tell the OP to take the pill you think she should take. Seriously now.

Between you and the doc, only one of you has a medical degree. Only one of you knows anything at all about the patient's history or presentation. Only one of you knows anything at all about the patient's symptoms. None of those are you.
  • xLexa
    Options
    No I did NOT accuse I flippantly suggested it was a possibility you read it how you want. And if the doctor flippantly fobbed off melatonin as dangerous for "no reason" then she is an idiot. If there was a reason she should have told the OP why it wasn't suitable for her. Just because someone is an educated professional does not mean they are always right.

Mr Right ... jeeesh even tell you you are right and you cant shut it. Go on believing what you will, I know what I meant, again have nice night.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    Options

Thank you. The provider you have probably did an assessment of you has reviewed your History and Physical, and notes, and knows about your health that he/she used to make a professional judgement about your condition and prescribed treatment. There may be something with your specific condition that made them choose Trazadone. You really shouldn't come ask someone who has no idea what your health history is for medical advice. You shouldn't take prescriptive advice from strangers on an internet forum.

I do not advocate for blind following of a providers plan. I believe the patient should be an active member of their primary care team. This means you need to have an open dialog with your provider and learn about the plan they are providing you with. If you are being prescribed a drug, you should know what it is, and why you are being prescribed that vs. any other treatments. You have the right to be as compliant as you like with your provider's prescribed plan.

Before you see your provider again, you should prepare yourself. There is a decent aid for the layperson to preapre them for discussions with their provider at http://www.ahrq.gov/patients-consumers/patient-involvement/index.html

If reading isn't your thing:

http://www.youtube.com/user/AHRQHealthTV
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    Options

He actually does. Telling people not to take medical advice from untrained professionals is actually quite helpful. It prevents people from doing stupid things. Like just stopping their meds, which for some meds may actually be very harmful once started and should only be tapered off.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    No I did NOT accuse I flippantly suggested it was a possibility you read it how you want. And if the doctor flippantly fobbed off melatonin as dangerous for "no reason" then she is an idiot. If there was a reason she should have told the OP why it wasn't suitable for her. Just because someone is an educated professional does not mean they are always right.

Mr Right ... jeeesh even tell you you are right and you cant shut it. Go on believing what you will, I know what I meant, again have nice night.

Well, yeah. You flippantly suggested that the physician, who actually saw and examined the patient and probably knows a thing or two about medicine, didn't give the OP what you think he should have given because he's literally a criminal.

Hence why I quoted you and suggested another possibility: that you're not a doctor and have no idea what you're talking about.