Suicide Warning

Options

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Have you tried taking Melatonin? It works pretty well! I would recommend it.

(Havent read any of the other comments, so sorry if someone else has already suggested this!!)

:laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • nancycaregiver
    nancycaregiver Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    My husband has a lot of medical issues, mostly related to a back injury. He was prescribed a medication to help him sleep. He took it as needed, may one on Monday, 2 on Tuesday, and maybe none on Wednesday. In 2009, he was driving an 18-wheeler and ran off the road into a cow pasture. He does not remember what happened. He just blacked out. Several days of tests showed nothing. Then about a month later, he had a seizure. Over the next several months, he had more seizures. Test after test revealed nothing (which is not really uncommon with seizures). Then finally, while meeting with a team of doctors, one of them spoke up and said, "I think I know what is going on. The med you are taking for sleeping is a seizure drug. It can be used for sleeping on a TEMPORARY basis only. If not closely monitored and kept at an even level, it can CAUSE seizures." He had been taking it irregularly for 13 years! No one ever told him that. He had to wean off the meds very slowly and has not had a seizure in 2 years. The other doctors did not agree with that one but we decided we had nothing to lose by getting off of it.
    The moral of the story is....sometimes doctors don't make the best decisions. They may think it is a good idea, but sometimes it is a BAD idea! I say give the melatonin a try!
  • jterry03
    jterry03 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Doctor called in a prescription without telling u what it was first?
    Something doesn't add up here.

Exactly...........
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    My husband has a lot of medical issues, mostly related to a back injury. He was prescribed a medication to help him sleep. He took it as needed, may one on Monday, 2 on Tuesday, and maybe none on Wednesday. In 2009, he was driving an 18-wheeler and ran off the road into a cow pasture. He does not remember what happened. He just blacked out. Several days of tests showed nothing. Then about a month later, he had a seizure. Over the next several months, he had more seizures. Test after test revealed nothing (which is not really uncommon with seizures). Then finally, while meeting with a team of doctors, one of them spoke up and said, "I think I know what is going on. The med you are taking for sleeping is a seizure drug. It can be used for sleeping on a TEMPORARY basis only. If not closely monitored and kept at an even level, it can CAUSE seizures." He had been taking it irregularly for 13 years! No one ever told him that. He had to wean off the meds very slowly and has not had a seizure in 2 years. The other doctors did not agree with that one but we decided we had nothing to lose by getting off of it.
    The moral of the story is....sometimes doctors don't make the best decisions. They may think it is a good idea, but sometimes it is a BAD idea! I say give the melatonin a try!

"Doctors sometimes make mistakes........... so ignore them completely and do what random yahoos on the internet say instead."
  • GhostinthePC
    GhostinthePC Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    It's a tracer program designed to interrupt your carrier signals so we can pinpoint your exact location....
  • BL_Coleman
    BL_Coleman Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    So today I picked up a prescription for a sleep aid the doctor called in for me at the pharmacy and stapled to it was a suicide warning note. Ok weird...

I proceed to read more about the medication (still unsure about whether I'm going to take it) and I find out the doc has called in an anti depressant /anxiety med to help me with sleep. Totally confused at this point. I read further and apparently this drug helps with the treatment of insomnia is one of the "other" uses.

The doctor must have lost her mind if she thinks I'm taking this medication with no history/signs of depression/anxiety. I think I'll just be content with my lack of sleep. Thankfully I have good insurance and didn't pay much for it but it makes me wonder what kind of kick back she's getting from the drug manufacturer. :ohwell:

Sleepy time extra with valerian root and melatonin pills ( easier and less hazerdous to your health)

Also ambien is great ( was on it for a short time) until i left my stressful hate filled job and moved to another one
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    It's a tracer program designed to interrupt your carrier signals so we can pinpoint your exact location....
    sweet reference
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Melatonin is NOT a sleep aid.. per my holistic healer it is a HORMONE.. it needs to be better researched!!

It is a hormone. THE hormone that the brain produces to activate sleep. It is only helpful as a sleep aid if your sleep patterns are erratic. It does NOT treat insomnia caused by anxiety and depression.

As I said earlier, the OP needs to do her own research on sleep aid, consult with her doctor on what exactly is interfering with her sleep, and reevalutate the situation.
  • GhostinthePC
    GhostinthePC Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    sweet reference

It goes with the Avatar :)
  • blinker86
    blinker86 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I work at a mental health clinic and see Trazodone prescribed more often for sleep than for depression. It's not uncommon at all.
  • Kelchia75
    Kelchia75 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If it's trazadone it's labeled as a depression drug but is often prescribed for insomnia
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    If you need a sleeping medication - Go with a vitamin. Melatonin works good - please do your research first though!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Take 300-500mg Gaba.
    Its safe and natural.
  • Markguns
    Markguns Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I used to not be able to sleep, try to do as many pushups and jumping jacks or whatever until you can't anymore. Usually knocks me out.

Worst advice ever..... elevate your HR then try to sleep????????????
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    @jonnythan -Hey man, I'm no doctor but take a chill pill. I'm all for freedom of speech and everyone has and is entitled to an opinion but you seem a little OCD about this...I think you have gotten your message across loud and clear. Breath, relax and maybe use the time for exercise...just saying.

But if you think this is a good way to spend your time go for it, totally happy for you if it makes you happy.

and people don't forget when you are telling it the way it is or isn't look at the bottom of the page because...
    Posts by members, moderators and admins should not be considered medical advice and no guarantee is made against accuracy.
  • amaysngrace
    amaysngrace Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    Yeah, like my son has autism and was very hyper, maybe a little more than a typical child and the doctor put him on Guanfacine, which is the generative form of Tenex, which is a blood pressure medicine to treat high blood pressure but also treats ADHD. Then, when I took him to get his blood pressure checked the doctor said it was high. I asked the doctor, could it be because my son did not have high blood pressure before taking this medicine and now he does because of it? I don't know, but I get the gist of what you are saying though, it is pretty fowl.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    And trazodone is less addictive than the others out there, ambien, lunesta, etc.
    This.
    Stop panicking. It's a very mild drug almost never prescribed anymore as a main anti-depressant b/c of the sleepy side effect. It's now mainly prescribed as a sleep aid.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I have no clue what's going on in here and have no desire to read all 13 pages... but I will say that on the advice of some MFP friends I have been taking 5mg of Melatonin before bed and have no slept this well in 6 years. Not groggy, just finally able to sleep for more than 2-3 hours at a time.

I recommend trying it.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    @jonnythan -Hey man, I'm no doctor but take a chill pill. I'm all for freedom of speech and everyone has and is entitled to an opinion but you seem a little OCD about this...I think you have gotten your message across loud and clear. Breath, relax and maybe use the time for exercise...just saying.

But if you think this is a good way to spend your time go for it, totally happy for you if it makes you happy.

and people don't forget when you are telling it the way it is or isn't look at the bottom of the page because...
    Posts by members, moderators and admins should not be considered medical advice and no guarantee is made against accuracy.

When backed into a corner, condescend and cheerfully insult.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Lots of medications treat more than one problem ... some medications that prevent seizures are also prescribed to people diagnosed with BiPolar disorder. Wellbutrin is prescribed to help people stop smoking, deal with depression, and for adults with ADD.....

If you don't want to take meds for one reason or another that's fine, but having a meltdown about a medication being prescribed to treat more than one ailment is ridiculous.

Also, this is the whole reason why your pharmacist will ask if you have any questions and they as well as your doctors are available to answer your questions pretty much any time.