Suicide Warning

Options
1101112131416»

Replies

• ElizabethLovesFood
    ElizabethLovesFood Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Melatonin is NOT a sleep aid.. per my holistic healer it is a HORMONE.. it needs to be better researched!!

melatonin is produced naturally in our brains by the pineal gland it regulates our sleep/wake and while is considered a hormone it has been use safely for years as a sleep aid
  • ElizabethLovesFood
    Options
    Uh, many antidepressant, antianxiety, and mood stabilizing medication has a sedative effect, and even in the ones that don't, they can assist with insomnia and other sleep issues/disorders. It's not about the doctor getting something from the big drug company. In most US hospitals, actually, drug reps aren't allowed to bring doctors expensive gifts or take them to expensive restaurant. Around one of the local offices, one woman got in trouble because she gave a doctor too many pens.

If you're okay with taking medication in the first place, deciding NOT to take it because one of the uses doesn't apply to you is incredibly silly.

i doubt she went to a hospital dr for insomnia..while bribes arent allowed drug reps provided my clinic with catered breakfast and lunch all year..they are given a yearly budget to do so..and the homehealth reps would bring starbucks sonic or anything u ask for..as for the pens instead of handing them out were usually put on table by food to grab as many as you want..along with notepads..and yes the dr prescribed the drugs the reps were recommending we even had drug coupons from reps to give to patient..a file drawer 4 drawers to be exact full of them
  • bleedingdesu
    bleedingdesu Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Uh, many antidepressant, antianxiety, and mood stabilizing medication has a sedative effect, and even in the ones that don't, they can assist with insomnia and other sleep issues/disorders. It's not about the doctor getting something from the big drug company. In most US hospitals, actually, drug reps aren't allowed to bring doctors expensive gifts or take them to expensive restaurant. Around one of the local offices, one woman got in trouble because she gave a doctor too many pens.

If you're okay with taking medication in the first place, deciding NOT to take it because one of the uses doesn't apply to you is incredibly silly.

i doubt she went to a hospital dr for insomnia..while bribes arent allowed drug reps provided my clinic with catered breakfast and lunch all year..they are given a yearly budget to do so..and the homehealth reps would bring starbucks sonic or anything u ask for..as for the pens instead of handing them out were usually put on table by food to grab as many as you want..along with notepads..and yes the dr prescribed the drugs the reps were recommending we even had drug coupons from reps to give to patient..a file drawer 4 drawers to be exact full of them
    having a coupon doesn't help the doctor, it helps the patient. Even if a drug rep is offering breakfast, that's not going to make a doctor start handing out prescriptions to that drug for everything- they're still going to look at how that drug is applicable.
  • ElizabethLovesFood
    Options

having a coupon doesn't help the doctor, it helps the patient. Even if a drug rep is offering breakfast, that's not going to make a doctor start handing out prescriptions to that drug for everything- they're still going to look at how that drug is applicable.

the coupon helps the patient get the drug the rep is recommending..im just stating what took place at the clinic i worked at..healthcare is just a business it took me 5 years of nursing to finally figure that out..a good caring dr is rare and few between
  • sizzle74
    sizzle74 Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I didn't read the entire thread but doctors use meds for reasons other than their original purpose everyday. If by chance this was Trazodone, they don't typically use it for depression anymore, mainly sleep.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I am on a medication that is treating me for an alternative use that what it is created for. Pretty common.
  • rob1976
    rob1976 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    My wife's sleep aid is a anti-depressant, too. Many drugs are cleared by the FDA to treat multiple maladies.

Please don't think that this drug is going to make you suicidal. People that are taking it for mental disorders may see this side effect if they stop taking it suddenly.
  • triathlete5301
    triathlete5301 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    That goes along with the typical "American Doctor" way - Treat the symptoms, not the problem. The symptom is you can't sleep, but what's the real problem behind it? Too many doctors give a quick fix rather than actually pay attention to the patient.

You can't say the American Way isn't wanting the quick fix?

Everyone wants the quick fix for everything. If the doctors were to spend time with the patient, then the patient gets annoyed that they aren't getting better quickly. They want to know what's wrong and they want a pill that cures everything. ETA: Yes, this is a generalization. I don't feel that OP or anyone in particular on this forum feels this way, but it has become an attitude of society.
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I inject Methotrexate for Rheumatoid Disease. It was originally developed as chemotherapy for cancer, so the information leaflets include all the risks of taking high dose, short term courses designed to prevent cancer cells from replicating. Like death.

Using your reasoning, I shouldn't be taking it because I don't have cancer.