Are accents universally awesome?

Options

Replies

• harley1968
    harley1968 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    :smile:
    I'm English - I don't think I have an accent :)

I didn't think I had an accent either, but then I went to America and the people there loved it, especially in New Orleans, one girl at the airport kept asking me to say something from a British film she had seen
  • runner2runner
    runner2runner Posts: 1,937 Member
    Options
    You guys need to watch more South African movies or visit South Africa if you ever get the chance and listen to the range of South African accents. Believe me, you'll love them!

Personally, I love the Northern English (Yorkshire to be precise) and Scottish accents. I also love the southern accent in the US and the African American "hood" accent, if that's what it's called. It kills me every time, especially when I listen to the African American stand up comedians.

Chinese and Japanese accents are also very interesting to listen to and come on, who doesn't love the Indian accent?

And then there's the German, Eastern European and Russian accents. Need I say more about those?

I'm seriously surprised though that a lot of you have listed the Australian accent as your favourite. While I have no beef against the Aussies, I honestly don't find their accent exciting, awesome and least of all sexy. I do think Aussie women are incredibly hot though!
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I don't like all accents, but I like hearing them still - I find them interesting to listen to.

Scottish, parts of northern England and Australian I'd say I like the most.

I also like some American accents, but I probably wouldn't be able to tell you where in America they're from, I just like them when I hear them.

ETA: When I went the the US (California) everyone thought my partner and I were Australian :S I didn't understand that, we're English. I think maybe because people expect the British accent to be really posh/proper sounding? Mostly, it''s not.
  • Leahsz
    Leahsz Posts: 81
    Options
    I'm surprised at all the votes for Aussie too, cause I am one, and the Australian accent can make me cringe. The very broad country drawl is not what bothers me (the real Aussie accent I guess) it's the very nasal/upward inflection kinda thing (think Kath and Kim) that bugs me. Now I sound like a snob :-)

Accents I love - French, northern English, Jamaican.

Indian accent is lovely to listen to - very musical somehow. I like Japanese too!
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    You guys haven't heard the Brummie, Stokie, or Manchester accent from the UK.
  • runner2runner
    Options
    Where's the Brummie and Stokie spoken?
  • nickyfm
    nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Come hither, East coast/Mid Western American accents ;)
  • runningbs
    runningbs Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    fact :bigsmile:
  • fat_harrie
    fat_harrie Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Spanish men with a deep voice (AMAZING!)
    Southern Irish
    South African
    Never heard it away from films etc but Southern (States)

Mine is a really strong London accent, even when I speak other languages, I still carry my accent. But can slip into my Scottish accent quite easily after living there
  • runner2runner
    Options
    Oh dammit, while I was ranting about the Australian accent I forgot to mention the absolutely awesome Italian American accent as one of my favourite accents.
  • Surfrider
    Surfrider Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Universally? Hell no.

A southern drawl is like knives stabbing my ears!

Hot (in order):
    Irish
    Scottish
    South African
    Australian
  • Excuse_less
    Excuse_less Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I dated a girl from Texas with a great accent .............but she kind of ruined it for me. She turned out to be really self centered and turned me off from that accent. Hopefully someone will be able redeem Texas at some point lol
  • KristiLeighS
    KristiLeighS Posts: 112
    Options
    My hubby is from South Africa and has a beautiful accent. So sexy! Everyone asks him if he is from England or Australia...lol!
  • xFamousLastWordsx
    xFamousLastWordsx Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I actually really hate accents. I don't know why but they just annoy me :ohwell:
    I haven't ever heard one I really liked.
  • PJ64
    PJ64 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    I had a Boston accent, but when I joined the military & started teaching, it was difficult for people to understand me

So I had to learn to pronounce "R":smile: BUT When I get excited or angry the Bostonian Accent rears up and takes over or should I say OVAH!!
  • jqh23
    jqh23 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    English & Australian get me every time.. I could listen to them talk for hours.

I am from Chi-cawwwwwwwww-gooooo. I never realized I had an accent until I started traveling. I got that whole, Chicawga I-tail-yen thang goin' on, ya know?
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    You guys haven't heard the Brummie, Stokie, or Manchester accent from the UK.

Haha that's why I said "most of them" in my post :wink: Being a big football fan, I've seen enough interviews and watched enough on TV that I know there are some that are just... :sick:
    Where's the Brummie and Stokie spoken?

Birmingham and Stoke, if I'm not mistaken.
  • HotMummyMission
    HotMummyMission Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    I'm from north west England and over here accents change considerably between different towns. I live about ten miles east of Liverpool. Liverpool people think I sound like a 'woolly' (slang for northern but not Liverpool/scouse!) and yet people from ten miles further east think I sound scouse.:laugh:

Having said that, all northerners would be equally insulted and immediately bonded together if anyone said we were southerners.

My problem is that I pick up accents very easily and people think I'm mocking them! I lived in Wales for three years and can easily slip back into a Swansea accent. Also, when I lived in Albany, NY I had to start speaking like them cos no-one could understand me otherwise!

St hellens ?
  • salladeve
    salladeve Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    This topic got me looking on youtube for different accents, I love this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UgpfSp2t6k
  • runner2runner
    Options
    How come nobody has mentioned the Jamaican accent? That's got to be one of coolest accents ever. Cool Runnings anyone?