Potatoes Good Or Bad?

Options

Replies

• jsd_135
    jsd_135 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Ok no food is truly bad. And not every potato is created equal. Russet potatoes are probably the one your asking about. If all of the variety of potatoes had a family reunion Russet would be the fun yet reckless uncle that is loved but prolong interaction with him will probably end in trouble. Myself, I can pack on the pounds easily with this guy, which is horrible because he seems to be at every party. Chips, mash potatoes, home fries, gordita taco shells and many more. He can be healthy in moderation but since he is so cheap and readily available it is easy to over indulge. Now his smaller cousins the reds, yellow and fingerlings can be bad like any other food if you eat too much, but tend to digest closer to the complex carb area. If russet is the white bread of potatoes his cousins can be considered like wheat bread in this analogy. They are denser so you get full easier. The skin is healthier and easier eaten so you get more nutrients per ounce. They are not as big so you tend to stop eating when you finish the item. So smaller chunks allow for more chances to stop where are the russet has only one clear spot when its done. After its big self is gone. Potatoes kept the Irish alive for generations for decades so it has its place in our food culture, but it is a danger these days because we live a much more sedentary life style, and can get food with zero effort. Eat them up but beware of the quantity vs activity in your day

Awesome summary of potatoes', er, awesomeness. As far as their life-saving properties go, one might also note that Marie Antoinette led a campaign to convince the French peasantry, who were dealing with a famine at the time, to grow potatoes, which apparently were not yet well known in the Old World. I believe she wore potato flowers in her hair on her campaign trips to the countryside.
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Ask Chris Voigt. He ate 20 potatoes a day for 60 days and lost weight...

Beginning weight: 197
    Beginning blood glucose: 104
    Beginning cholesterol: 214
    Beginning triglycerides: 135

60 day weight: 176
    60 day blood glucose: 94
    60 day cholesterol: 147
    60 day triglycerides: 75

Reference: http://20potatoesaday.com/

Potatoes are a great soure for Vit C, Potassium, Iron, and FIber in general. However, in this particular instance his health makers didn't improve due to potatoes... he lost 20 lbs.
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    thats what Im talllkinnng about!
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Good.
    Everything in moderation.
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    They're good.

For the most part . . .

HOT_zpsc74c386b.gif
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    PORTATERS ARE BAD. WHY DOES VEGGEBALS NEED EYES? IT LIVE IN THE GROUND YOU CAN'T SEE IN THE DIRT. WHY DOES IT GROW ROOTS EVEN WHEN ITS IN MY CABBINET?
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    You can either go around spending time worrying about what the next "bad" food is (and this seems to change constantly based on the current fad diet), or you can finally come to the realization that food is neither good nor bad in isolation. What matters is your overall diet. I eat potatoes all the time. I happen to have a 10 pound bag of them in the pantry.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    They are so good!

8lZAkjs.gif

this
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    We simply were not meant to eat potatoes. Potatoes were invented only 200 years ago and our digestive tracts have not had enough time to get used to them. Because of our bodies confusion, the fat in potatoes is immediately stored around our ankles. Please watch the documentary "Potato Kankles" for more information.
  • _chiaroscuro
    _chiaroscuro Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Tater haters gonna hate...
    2alp9u.jpg
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    PORTATERS ARE BAD. WHY DOES VEGGEBALS NEED EYES? IT LIVE IN THE GROUND YOU CAN'T SEE IN THE DIRT. WHY DOES IT GROW ROOTS EVEN WHEN ITS IN MY CABBINET?

ZOMG
    OHNOES!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Ok no food is truly bad. And not every potato is created equal. Russet potatoes are probably the one your asking about. If all of the variety of potatoes had a family reunion Russet would be the fun yet reckless uncle that is loved but prolong interaction with him will probably end in trouble. Myself, I can pack on the pounds easily with this guy, which is horrible because he seems to be at every party. Chips, mash potatoes, home fries, gordita taco shells and many more. He can be healthy in moderation but since he is so cheap and readily available it is easy to over indulge. Now his smaller cousins the reds, yellow and fingerlings can be bad like any other food if you eat too much, but tend to digest closer to the complex carb area. If russet is the white bread of potatoes his cousins can be considered like wheat bread in this analogy. They are denser so you get full easier. The skin is healthier and easier eaten so you get more nutrients per ounce. They are not as big so you tend to stop eating when you finish the item. So smaller chunks allow for more chances to stop where are the russet has only one clear spot when its done. After its big self is gone. Potatoes kept the Irish alive for generations for decades so it has its place in our food culture, but it is a danger these days because we live a much more sedentary life style, and can get food with zero effort. Eat them up but beware of the quantity vs activity in your day

Awesome summary of potatoes', er, awesomeness. As far as their life-saving properties go, one might also note that Marie Antoinette led a campaign to convince the French peasantry, who were dealing with a famine at the time, to grow potatoes, which apparently were not yet well known in the Old World. I believe she wore potato flowers in her hair on her campaign trips to the countryside.

I thought she was the champion of cake? What's this business about potatoes???
  • Sandee1959
    Sandee1959 Posts: 1
    Options
    A baked potato once week with butter and plain greek yogurt ! yumm!
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    They're good.
    db7d1af6_iStock_000006652162XSmall.jpg
  • femail1214
    femail1214 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    POTATOES R FINE TO EAT IN MODERATION, THE THING WITH WHITE POTATOES IS THEY ARE EMPTY CALORIES WHEREIS A SWEET POTATOE HAS VITAMINS AND NUTRIENTS
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    They're good.

Good? They are DELICIOUS!! I love when people contemplate not eating foods. Especially ones that grow from the Earth. My answer is, DONT EAT THEM.

More for me, thanks!
  • SCtolulu
    SCtolulu Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are awesome. Just like any other fruit or veggie.
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    They're good.

tumblr_lquwr9JQce1r2optzo7_500.gif
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Ever get phantom sensations? I'm getting one now. I smell a baked potato with some sour cream on top. I'm going to have to eat that today.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    POTATOES R FINE TO EAT IN MODERATION, THE THING WITH WHITE POTATOES IS THEY ARE EMPTY CALORIES WHEREIS A SWEET POTATOE HAS VITAMINS AND NUTRIENTS

HOW U COOK UR SWEET PORTATERS?