Girls - How heavy do you go for squats?

Options

Replies

• FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure there's any science to that thinking, though...

There's not.

Yes there is. We use progressive overload to increase mass. That said, people's worries about getting bulky are unfounded, and women tend to use so little weight that it's not doing anything at all for them anyways.

It is a very deliberate and long process to get "bulky", but unless your strength levels are relatively low, low weight isn't doing **** for you anyway and you're just wasting your time.

Also my gf does 80lbs for 5x5, though she's still pretty untrained.
  • ceruleanmuse
    ceruleanmuse Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I just hit my PR of 135lbs - 3x6. Going to try to add 5 lbs to each side today and see how that goes.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I don't do traditional squats because of a weak/hurt lower back, but I do step ups and rear elevated split squats with 45s in each hand.

A weak lower back is all the more reason to do traditional squats. They'll help strengthen the back as long as your form is good.

And, for the most part, back issues don't have to get in the way of doing squats and in fact may be remedied by doing them (because you strengthen your back, helping it to support better).

As for the original question, I'm one of those with a higher starting weight, but between that, eating at a deficit, and endocrine issues, I have crap for progression. I had to take a hiatus for a while, but I was doing something like 90-100lbs 5x5 highbar, ATG (was having issues with form beyond that, though). I hope to get back into it again soon, though, and maybe actually progress now.
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I'm using 15s right now, but thinking about moving up to 20s. I'm concerned that if I go much heavier, it will make my thighs bigger instead of leaner. I'm not sure there's any science to that thinking, though...

You mentioned in another post that you currently weigh 185lbs., so that figures into your actual exertion as well as the weight you're holding. I'd say go as heavy as you can manage-- but don't compare yourself to what others are moving. And of course, you won't get big-- don't worry about that. :D
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure there's any science to that thinking, though...

There's not.

Yes there is. We use progressive overload to increase mass. That said, people's worries about getting bulky are unfounded, and women tend to use so little weight that it's not doing anything at all for them anyways.

It is a very deliberate and long process to get "bulky", but unless your strength levels are relatively low, low weight isn't doing **** for you anyway and you're just wasting your time.

Also my gf does 80lbs for 5x5, though she's still pretty untrained.

You might want to go back and reread the responses on here. I highly doubt the 2-2.5x bodyweight that some of these girls are lifting qualifies as "so little weight," and those women are anything but "bulky." Besides, if a woman is lifting the Barbie weights, she's very likely not lifting what would qualify as "heavy" for anyone except maybe the toddlers in the daycare center.

Women don't get bulky from lifting heavy (unless they're very specifically doing a routine and diet dedicated to hypertrophy, and do so for years), because we don't have the testosterone to support building large muscles. Additionally, the powerlifting lifts are weights and reps that support dense growth, not bulk growth.
  • trojan_bb
    trojan_bb Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I just hit my PR of 135lbs - 3x6. Going to try to add 5 lbs to each side today and see how that goes.

Nice!

Some strong female squats in this thread. I rarely see women in my gym with a plate or more on each side.
  • Naomi0504
    Naomi0504 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I did a 1RM of 135lbs (just to see if I could), but usually it's 3 sets of 10 at 105lbs. Your numbers are impressive, ladies :smile:
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options

Nice!

Some strong female squats in this thread. I rarely see women in my gym with a plate or more on each side.

Lol! Not all of us can squat that much, yet. :laugh:
  • chloepatszig
    Options
    100 lbs for now ! 3x10 reps
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Just 95 right now, but I am "low tone" due to CP, whatever that is supposed to mean and recovering from an injury.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Nice!

Give it time young padawan.

give it time.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options

Nice!

give it time.

Patience has never been a strong point for me, but yes, you're right. I can't very well expect to squat a ton after roughly 12 lifting sessions (a month's worth). Although, me and a friend, whose strength gains aren't as high as she'd like, either, decided that it didn't matter what we lifted, as long as we were kicking our own a$$es over the previous time, in the gym. Lol! :laugh:
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I hadn't revisited this thread for a while because lifting got put on the back burner for me for a bit. The last time I did real squatting I got 7 reps at 130 on my last set (I was doing the 5/3/1). And I weighed 113 lbs at the time.

The last time I put weight a barbell to squat I think I put a whole 35 lbs on there, and I don't think I've lifted anything since being in the third tri. I meant to keep up better than that for the pregnancy (especially since I want to deliver in a squat position), but it didn't happen. I will get back on it.
  • marcon125
    marcon125 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Just did 165lb for 5 sets of 10 earlier this week. When I started about 6 mos ago. I was only doing the bar (45 lbs)
  • starbucksbuzz
    starbucksbuzz Posts: 466 Member
    Options

Nice!

give it time.

Patience has never been a strong point for me, but yes, you're right. I can't very well expect to squat a ton after roughly 12 lifting sessions (a month's worth). Although, me and a friend, whose strength gains aren't as high as she'd like, either, decided that it didn't matter what we lifted, as long as we were kicking our own a$$es over the previous time, in the gym. Lol! :laugh:

That's the best attitude to have. :) For reference, I've been lifting for about 10 months, and started with dumbbells and worked up to the bar. I also know that my personal gains have been pretty fast for a newbie.
  • bio_fit
    bio_fit Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I managed 5x5 at 110lb, two sessions in a row, so thought it was about time to move up :smile: Added the extra 5lb - no problem I thought, 5lb is barely anything. But my goodness, I am struggling! Two sessions now I've failed to complete my sets :huh: Over 5 measly pounds. Grrrr, I will get you 115!
  • Sovictorrious
    Sovictorrious Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I just hit 150....
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    190 and I'm itching to try 200, but I know I'm not quite ready yet ....but I'll get there...soon!
  • KristinaB83
    KristinaB83 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I just started so I'm only doing 40lbs at the moment, but mind you I was COMPLETELY inactive before so I have tiny tiny little muscles.
  • Sovictorrious
    Sovictorrious Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    15 per side - will be trying 17.5 next class. I am just concerned that I won't be able to lift it over my head, and I greatly prefer holding the weight on my upper back to cradling it in my arms. I think I should suck it up and try anyway, though.

I love big strong thighs! I already have thick, fat thighs, and I'd gladly exchange that fat for some sexy muscle :wink:.

LOL