Girls - How heavy do you go for squats?

Options
I'm using 15s right now, but thinking about moving up to 20s. I'm concerned that if I go much heavier, it will make my thighs bigger instead of leaner. I'm not sure there's any science to that thinking, though...

Replies

• Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    15 per side - will be trying 17.5 next class. I am just concerned that I won't be able to lift it over my head, and I greatly prefer holding the weight on my upper back to cradling it in my arms. I think I should suck it up and try anyway, though.

I love big strong thighs! I already have thick, fat thighs, and I'd gladly exchange that fat for some sexy muscle :wink:.
  • MissJJ74
    MissJJ74 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    50 lbs on the squat rack.

However I just finally came back to using it after not being able to even do a squat for years due to arthritis in my knees.

Hoping to get to 150 lbs.
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure there's any science to that thinking, though...

There's not.
  • cng31183
    cng31183 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    95 hoping to hit 100 next week. Tried earlier lmao it wasn't happening :laugh:
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I'm using 15s right now, but thinking about moving up to 20s. I'm concerned that if I go much heavier, it will make my thighs bigger instead of leaner. I'm not sure there's any science to that thinking, though...

you're right there's no science to that thinking

being lean comes from losing fat. If you have a layer of fat over your muscles, you won't see the muscle, and fat is what makes people's legs look chunky. Lose the fat and you reveal lean muscle, which in women looks "toned" - the less bodyfat you have, the more you will see muscle definition. MOst women seem to like the look at around 18-20% body fat, where your body looks firm and "toned", but not the really heavy muscle definition that you see at 13-15% body fat (though of course many like that look too, it's down to personal preference and how low you want to take your body fat percentage)

using heavier weights will not make your muscles get significantly bigger, but it will make them a lot stronger and make your bones a lot stronger and make it easier to lose the fat, and also if your muscles are atrophied (wasted away), then at lower levels of body fat you will still look soft and half starved, not the firm, lean look that most women want.

Leigh Peele's blog has a free download on body fat percentage, so you can see what men and women look at different body fat percentages, and also the difference between someone with and without muscle at the same body fat percentage. Many women are afraid to use heavy weights because they think they'll look like a female bodybuilder (not that there's anything wrong with how they look - personal preference....) but you won't look like that unless you go down to 13% body fat... the same amount of muscle on a woman but a higher percentage (18-20%) women look more like bikini models without all that muscle definition but still with a good overall shape and looking firm and "toned" rather than defined.

So yes, I think you should use heavier weights... use the heaviest weight you can, if you can do more than 12 reps, it's too heavy. Or do a programme which involves lifting heavier and heavier weights, such as stronlifts 5x5 or starting strength. Lots of women have seen a huge amount of success from these programmes and you can find threads with lots of before and after pics, like this one: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/977538-halp-heavy-lifting-made-me-supah-bulky
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    So yes, I think you should use heavier weights... use the heaviest weight you can, if you can do more than 12 reps, it's too heavy. Or do a programme which involves lifting heavier and heavier weights, such as stronglifts

she meant it's too light if you can do more than 12 reps,
  • WhaddoWino
    WhaddoWino Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    There are two parts to the equation here:
    1. How much weight on the bar?
    2. How deep are your squats?

If I only take my thighs parallel to the ground, I can go much heavier. If I try to get deeper (*kitten* to the grass method), I need to lighten the load. Instead of just piling on more weight, consider going as deep as you can with your squat as this engages even more of your core, inner thighs, gluts, lower back, etc. You will serious feel the difference!
  • dynamitegalxo
    dynamitegalxo Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    My PR was 145 pounds and I was on my way to a goal of 200 before I took an arrow to the knee.
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,157 Member
    Options
    I just started doing some "big girl weights" as I call them and squatted with 100 lbs last week. Hoping to continue the trend and keep going with it
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Working sets: 55kg today (121lb)
    One rep "max" on Saturday: 67.5kg (148.5lb) - Third attempt for a virtual powerlifting comp but think I could have made 70kg and possibly even 75kg.

Heavier won't make you bulky, it just makes you stronger.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    It won't make any significant difference :) Not unless you're trying to bulk and/or you're taking anything

*edit* I mean significant difference in size :)
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options

, if you can do more than 12 reps, it's too heavy.

You mean it's too light* ?
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    I like it when girls are squatting 185+.
  • joyfulrunner22
    joyfulrunner22 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Last week was 115 lbs

Today I am going for 120-125 lbs

I weigh 117
  • Markguns
    Markguns Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    If you can move up then do it... heavy weights alone wont make you bulky.
  • dakittenrightmeow
    dakittenrightmeow Posts: 10 Member
    Options

you're right there's no science to that thinking

being lean comes from losing fat. If you have a layer of fat over your muscles, you won't see the muscle, and fat is what makes people's legs look chunky. Lose the fat and you reveal lean muscle, which in women looks "toned" - the less bodyfat you have, the more you will see muscle definition. MOst women seem to like the look at around 18-20% body fat, where your body looks firm and "toned", but not the really heavy muscle definition that you see at 13-15% body fat (though of course many like that look too, it's down to personal preference and how low you want to take your body fat percentage)

using heavier weights will not make your muscles get significantly bigger, but it will make them a lot stronger and make your bones a lot stronger and make it easier to lose the fat, and also if your muscles are atrophied (wasted away), then at lower levels of body fat you will still look soft and half starved, not the firm, lean look that most women want.

Leigh Peele's blog has a free download on body fat percentage, so you can see what men and women look at different body fat percentages, and also the difference between someone with and without muscle at the same body fat percentage. Many women are afraid to use heavy weights because they think they'll look like a female bodybuilder (not that there's anything wrong with how they look - personal preference....) but you won't look like that unless you go down to 13% body fat... the same amount of muscle on a woman but a higher percentage (18-20%) women look more like bikini models without all that muscle definition but still with a good overall shape and looking firm and "toned" rather than defined.

So yes, I think you should use heavier weights... use the heaviest weight you can, if you can do more than 12 reps, it's too heavy. Or do a programme which involves lifting heavier and heavier weights, such as stronlifts 5x5 or starting strength. Lots of women have seen a huge amount of success from these programmes and you can find threads with lots of before and after pics, like this one: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/977538-halp-heavy-lifting-made-me-supah-bulky

THIS. <3
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Well, it depends on how much you weigh and your bone structure size. A 100 pound women will squat and lift less than a 150 pound women (as an example). Think of it in terms of body weight percentage. There are charts to help out with that. Of course, if you can lift more, go for it.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    143 for reps. My thigh measurement has steadily decreased as I've lifted heavier.
  • AngelsFan91106
    AngelsFan91106 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    My thigh measurement has steadily decreased as I've lifted heavier.

This. I squat 140 lbs for reps--that's 113% of my body weight.