Girls - How heavy do you go for squats?

Options

Replies

• freckledrats
    freckledrats Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    As heavy as I can handle, I aim to struggle on the final rep. For me this is 90 lbs.

My thighs have yet to get bulky with muscle lol
  • hagofnaedre
    hagofnaedre Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I <3 squats. Cracked 100lbs last week. I hope to go WELL beyond that in the coming months.

Am I the only person who finds it weird that some people AREN'T using the squat rack? 0_o
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Depends on my training goals. If I am doing a lot of running/biking, I use resistance training for muscular endurance, so higher reps (~15 for 3-5 sets) with 95-115 lbs. If I am working on strength, 135-155 with lower volume (8-12 for 3-4 sets). When I was into powerlifting, 180-190 for 3X5 and maxed out at 205. I can't do any heavy lifting for the next 2-3 months so I do jump squats with bodyweight or very light weight for minutes rather than reps. I definitely prefer lifting but this is what I have to work with and it is appropriate for muscular endurance which I need for my current running routine. My bodyweight ranges from 127-132.
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    I like this thread. I'm starting NROL4W today, and the first exercise I'm going to be doing is squats, but I'm not sure where to start weight-wise. Never in my life have I squatted with weights, just BW squats in programs like 30DS or Insanity.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    85lbs 3 x 10-12 but I'm working on going deeper (lower) and not as concerned about how high the weight is right now.
  • ChristiSykes
    ChristiSykes Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    135 lb squat rack
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    My 1 rep max is 265.

Right now, I'm doing Wendler 5/3/1, so my squats are a percentage of 90% of my 1RM. They are anywhere from 150-225lbs, depending on the day of the program.

I'm 5'6", 180lbs. I'm only getting smaller.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options

I use 125 for working sets.
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    When using DD's, I use (2) 25lb (20 rep per set, 4-5 sets), when doing Barbell versions, I'm up to 70lb (6-9 reps, 3-4 sets) as of yesterday.
  • Baloostika
    Baloostika Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    154 5*5
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Am I the only person who finds it weird that some people AREN'T using the squat rack? 0_o

No, I've been wondering as I read the last two pages "wait, why are they needing to lift it over their head? Just walk under the bar and rest it on your traps, gurl." Not using the rack makes those comments make more sense. I wouldn't feel comfortable doing it outside of a rack, I don't think.
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    150 today
  • icyeyes317
    icyeyes317 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Right now I am squatting a crap ton (don't remember weight) on the Smith machine, and around 80 lbs free-standing. I have a heart problem, so I have to be careful HOW I do them. I will be going much heavier as soon as I can.

For a reference, read this:

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • lheaton
    lheaton Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    stronglifts.com - get the 5x5 free app for your phone and it will get you to whatever weight you want without trying to keep up with it in your head. I'm at 85 pounds for my squats tonight.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Also when people say the amount of weight, is that the total weight of the plates added or does that include the bar?

Plates plus bar. Standard bar weights 45 lbs.

You should target doing reps at your bodyweight. And as many others have said, it is almost a physical impossibility for you to get bulky lifting heavier weights. You don't have enough testosterone or human growth hormone. Look up Jamie Eason and tell me if she's too bulky. I assure you that 99.9% of men don't think so.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    135lbs. 45lb bar, and 45 lb plates.

my thighs have become smaller since weight lifting.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    stronglifts.com - get the 5x5 free app for your phone and it will get you to whatever weight you want without trying to keep up with it in your head. I'm at 85 pounds for my squats tonight.

I'll second this. I don't do stronglifts but the program is very similar and has a 5 set x 5 rep focus.
  • CassandraBurgos83
    CassandraBurgos83 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I use the squat rack @175-bar and plates on back by myself no smith machine... My thighs are not big, but muscular and curvey toned. And i'm trying to lose 8 lbs to be back at 110 and even at that weight I still lift the same and my goal is 225lb and they more than likely will not be getting that much bigger-maybe .5 -1.0 inch which is fine bc my butt is getting rounder while everything else is toning.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    90#

You won't get bulky unless you are deliberately following a strict regiment DESIGNED to do that.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    7.5kg about 300 reps
    Fairly happy at the moment whilst loosing *kitten* fat! Then I'll up it! Like the guy said eariler don't want to layer it up!

300 reps!!! why?!?!