iorahkwano Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    <
    No huge thighs in this profile pic!

I squat 120lbs right now but my heaviest was 140lbs
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Here are approximate strength standards for women's squats. On Day 1, you'd be "untrained".
    Thank you! Gives me an idea of where to start tonight and adjust as needed.

I should have mentioned that there is a lot of variability in untrained people. If you try a weight and it feels way too heavy from the beginning, back off a little. If it seems too easy, add some plates.

Honestly, the starting weight doesn't matter that much, as long as it's not so heavy that you hurt yourself with it. In the beginning, you will probably be able to increase your squat weight every time you workout, so you'll leave your starting weight in the dust very quickly.

The first few months of lifting weights is amazing and fun. As long as you eat and rest right and keep adding weight, you'll make more progress than you ever will at any other time of your life.

Good luck, and have fun!
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    Here are approximate strength standards for women's squats. On Day 1, you'd be "untrained".

I should have mentioned that there is a lot of variability in untrained people. If you try a weight and it feels way too heavy from the beginning, back off a little. If it seems too easy, add some plates.

Honestly, the starting weight doesn't matter that much, as long as it's not so heavy that you hurt yourself with it. In the beginning, you will probably be able to increase your squat weight every time you workout, so you'll leave your starting weight in the dust very quickly.

The first few months of lifting weights is amazing and fun. As long as you eat and rest right and keep adding weight, you'll make more progress than you ever will at any other time of your life.

Good luck, and have fun!
    Right. I know it's going to vary. There's never going to be a one-size-fits-all kind of thing, but it helps me to be a little braver to start with at least the bar and see how I feel about it. Otherwise I probably would've been too scared and just started with some small "Barbie" weights. :laugh:

Thanks!
  • MollieA912
    MollieA912 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    175 for 6 reps on back squat. 200 1- rep max
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    250lb tested 1RM @ 158lb. Currently doing 225lb for reps. [BB back squats to below parallel]
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    Hmmm replying right after Sara's impressive 250!!!! :laugh: Well I'm still proud of my 90 lbs 3x5! :wink:

ETA my legs have only gotten slimmer since I started lifting but I know it's the calorie deficit.
  • PomegranatePriestess
    PomegranatePriestess Posts: 2,455 Member
    Options
    I'm only up to 115... about 3 sets of 5 after a few warm up sets

my thighs are not hyooge yettttt.

in fact they look smaller...calorie deficit and heavy lifting=win.

33110506_9491.jpg

Hot damn, check you out! Nice getaway sticks, Jules.

I typically do 115 when I've got multiple sets in a WOD. (Let's say 5 sets of 10). I have no idea what my one rep max is... but would love to find out.
  • markymarrkk
    markymarrkk Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    My girl's 5, 5... weighs 140, 25% BF, I helped her put together a progressive lifting program that she's been on for about 2 months. With respect to squats, she started with just the 45lb bar, very unstable and bad form. Now she does 120lbs 5x5, the goal is 1.5x her body weight for 1rep max. I had her watch a shtt ton of youtube videos and do some development work to help her with form. She is VERY happy with the results so far. Chicks who lift FTW.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Hmmm replying right after Sara's impressive 250!!!! :laugh: Well I'm still proud of my 90 lbs 3x5! :wink:

ETA my legs have only gotten slimmer since I started lifting but I know it's the calorie deficit.

You should be proud. I am bigger and have probably been doing it for longer :flowerforyou:
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options

http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/SquatStandards.html

This table is average 1-rep max. Subtract about 15% from the standard for an approximate 5-rep weight, subtract about 25% for 10-rep weight.

That should give people a ballpark starting weight on Day 1 of doing weighted squats.

[/quote]

I would recommend starting with just the bar (which is 45 pounds) and adding 5 pounds each session. This allows you work on your form with lighter weights and build up strength as you go along.
  • akindc
    akindc Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Just an fyi - not all bars are 45 pounds. I bought one and weighed it on a scale, turned out to be 15 pounds. Just be careful to not overestimate the weight.
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options

http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/SquatStandards.html

This table is average 1-rep max. Subtract about 15% from the standard for an approximate 5-rep weight, subtract about 25% for 10-rep weight.

That should give people a ballpark starting weight on Day 1 of doing weighted squats.

I would recommend starting with just the bar (which is 45 pounds) and adding 5 pounds each session. This allows you work on your form with lighter weights and build up strength as you go along.
    [/quote]
    [/quote]
    Thanks!

That's my plan. I'm going to the local park district's rec center. I usually pass it on my runs so it's perfect distance for a little cardio warm-up jog to get to it, and they have all the things I need. I know the bar there will be standard (45#).
  • averytds
    averytds Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    135lb today! Finally got to use the 45lb plates. My hips, thighs and calves have only gotten smaller since I started lifting.
  • Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    15 per side - will be trying 17.5 next class. I am just concerned that I won't be able to lift it over my head, and I greatly prefer holding the weight on my upper back to cradling it in my arms. I think I should suck it up and try anyway, though.

I love big strong thighs! I already have thick, fat thighs, and I'd gladly exchange that fat for some sexy muscle :wink:.

Should have added that I will be trying the squat rack soon although I find that thought pretty intimidating. It's about time since the limiting factor in my squats right now is my ability to elevate the bar onto my shoulders. For my weight lifting class it's all dumbbells and bars in a class setting, with high reps as the nature of the class. . . in case anyone was wondering why someone would bother to squat with 30 lbs :smile:.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options

You should be proud. I am bigger and have probably been doing it for longer :flowerforyou:

Yeah, it's not wise to compare absolute amounts. Strength depends on many factors, including your weight (especially LBM), height (smaller people can lift proportionally heavier weights because they don't move them as far and have a mechanical advantage), age (older usually means weaker, all other things being equal), and experience. And sex of course.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Yeah, it's not wise to compare absolute amounts. Strength depends on many factors, including your weight (especially LBM), height (smaller people can lift proportionally heavier weights because they don't move them as far and have a mechanical advantage), age (older usually means weaker, all other things being equal), and experience. And sex of course.

^^yep. Plus whether someone is at a deficit or maintenance or a surplus.
  • bethira
    bethira Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    How many squats are you people doing at these heavy weights? I do Body Pump where the squat track can be 3 - 3.5 minutes of squats ... and more squats, and more squats ... until I want to take the bar off my back and bludgeon my instructor. However, I realistically can't do more than 20 lbs on the bar or I want get through the other 57 minutes of class.

I'm guessing that squats aren't all you folks are doing or not in high reps.
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    How many squats are you people doing at these heavy weights? I do Body Pump where the squat track can be 3 - 3.5 minutes of squats ... and more squats, and more squats ... until I want to take the bar off my back and bludgeon my instructor. However, I realistically can't do more than 20 lbs on the bar or I want get through the other 57 minutes of class.

I'm guessing that squats aren't all you folks are doing or not in high reps.

Most people here are doing 1 to 5 reps. A typical beginning strength routine has you doing 3-5 sets of 5 reps.
  • McAlyna
    McAlyna Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    5x5 @140# today. I'm getting stronger each session.☺
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options

^^yep. Plus whether someone is at a deficit or maintenance or a surplus.
    [/quote]

This makes me feel better, especially since I've been lifting for a while. So....I'm fairly tall, female, still have a significant amount of body fat, have been eating at a deficit and I'm older than most of you....sheesh! What else do I have going against me? hehehehe