Girls - How heavy do you go for squats?

Options

Replies

• AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    190# is my current max...i'm so close to 200 lbs! I work out with 135-175# depending on reps/work out purpose. I weigh 170lbs as a reference. You won't get bulky...I weigh about the same as I did before starting to lift but I have dropped several clothing sizes as the body does change...less squish more definition in a smaller package!

lift heavy!
  • BranMuffin86
    BranMuffin86 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Hmm usually 105 hoping to move up next week.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I just hit my PR of 135lbs - 3x6. Going to try to add 5 lbs to each side today and see how that goes.

Nice!

Some strong female squats in this thread. I rarely see women in my gym with a plate or more on each side.

Lol! Not all of us can squat that much, yet. :laugh:

Give it time young padawan.

give it time.

Patience has never been a strong point for me, but yes, you're right. I can't very well expect to squat a ton after roughly 12 lifting sessions (a month's worth). Although, me and a friend, whose strength gains aren't as high as she'd like, either, decided that it didn't matter what we lifted, as long as we were kicking our own a$$es over the previous time, in the gym. Lol! :laugh:

That's the best attitude to have. :) For reference, I've been lifting for about 10 months, and started with dumbbells and worked up to the bar. I also know that my personal gains have been pretty fast for a newbie.

Thanks for that. It really does help to hear where others start out. I knew going in that I'd be pretty weak going in, and the guys in the weights section have been really helpful and don't laugh at me when I lift what's heavy for me. Last night, I benched 50 lbs. You got it. 45 lb. bar with two 2.5 plates. It looked so stupid that I had to laugh at myself, especially with the big guys right next to me doing HUGE plates on their BP's, but I honestly couldn't do more than that...anymore and I'd legitimately need someone to spot me. :blushing:
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    You got it. 45 lb. bar with two 2.5 plates. It looked so stupid that I had to laugh at myself, especially with the big guys right next to me doing HUGE plates on their BP's, but I honestly couldn't do more than that...anymore and I'd legitimately need someone to spot me. :blushing:

Rofl after I hurt myself I had to do that too. Which brings up the question:

Is it more embrassing to bench just the bar, or the bar with two 2.5lb plates on it? (...or two "cookies" if you prefer, shoutout JoRocka).

LOL

And of course I'm not making fun of anyone. We've all been there and there's not shame so long as you're pushing yourself.
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I just hit my PR of 135lbs - 3x6. Going to try to add 5 lbs to each side today and see how that goes.

Nice!

Some strong female squats in this thread. I rarely see women in my gym with a plate or more on each side.

give it time.

Patience has never been a strong point for me, but yes, you're right. I can't very well expect to squat a ton after roughly 12 lifting sessions (a month's worth). Although, me and a friend, whose strength gains aren't as high as she'd like, either, decided that it didn't matter what we lifted, as long as we were kicking our own a$$es over the previous time, in the gym. Lol! :laugh:

:heart:
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options
    You got it. 45 lb. bar with two 2.5 plates. It looked so stupid that I had to laugh at myself, especially with the big guys right next to me doing HUGE plates on their BP's, but I honestly couldn't do more than that...anymore and I'd legitimately need someone to spot me. :blushing:

Rofl after I hurt myself I had to do that too. Which brings up the question:

Is it more embrassing to bench just the bar, or the bar with two 2.5lb plates on it? (...or two "cookies" if you prefer, shoutout JoRocka).

LOL

And of course I'm not making fun of anyone. We've all been there and there's not shame so long as you're pushing yourself.

Lol! No offense taken. I think it's pretty hilarious, myself. No one can say that doesn't look funny. They're so tiny. :laugh:
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options

Nice!

give it time.

:heart:

:wink:
  • Waggoner83
    Waggoner83 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Does this work well for you?
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Between 35 and 70 pounds depending on the type of squat I am doing and the type of weight (kettle bell, dumbbells, barbell).
  • dicoveringwhoIam
    dicoveringwhoIam Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Back squats 215#
    Grapple squats with 55# kettlebell
    Front squats 175#
  • missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    currently at 135 :) i weigh 107

getting up to 45lb plates has been such a big thing for me, never thought id get to this place :)
  • maryrunslikeafox
    maryrunslikeafox Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    190# is my current max...i'm so close to 200 lbs! I work out with 135-175# depending on reps/work out purpose. I weigh 170lbs as a reference. You won't get bulky...I weigh about the same as I did before starting to lift but I have dropped several clothing sizes as the body does change...less squish more definition in a smaller package!

lift heavy!

this! I weigh the same as cass and have seen similar results... I back squat 175#
  • KatrinaWilke
    KatrinaWilke Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I squat 225lbs. That is my working weight....not my 1RM. And I don't think my thighs are huge, a little fat for my liking, but they fit in a size 4. I am 5'7" and 142lbs if that helps.

ETA: These are barbell squats and I don't 1/2 rep it, I go to below parallel.
  • 93nan
    93nan Posts: 130
    Options
    Bump
  • KatrinaWilke
    KatrinaWilke Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    GO STACI!!!! staci is a beast. read the story peoples- it's good
    I have been trying more free weights after about five months on machines.. But I don't have a spotter and makes me afraid to increase weight, especially after I almost decapitated myself with a bench press

learn to do the roll of shame.

it's important esp if you lift alone to learn how to properly dump a weight- and yes- there are weighs to properly/safely dump weights.

But if you really need too- ask for a spotter. No shame at all. Almost any one will be willing to help you for a few reps.

Totally have done the roll of shame. Some guys came running to help me and I just laughed. I got it! Ain't gonna kill me to roll this weight off!
  • MauxFaux
    Options
    95 pounds today, hoping to go over 100 next week.
  • Sarahliquid
    Sarahliquid Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I had been using 30 lb barbell. But went straight to 95 lbs 3x12on the smith machine . I'm not sure I would try it free weight.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options
    I had been using 30 lb barbell. But went straight to 95 lbs 3x12on the smith machine . I'm not sure I would try it free weight.

If you're going to free weight squat, I'd say start with the bar, first. 95 lbs. will feel quite a bit differently on free weights, I'd suspect.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I am only doing box squats and goblet squats at the moment for the program I am doing. I am doing 5/8 box squats at 145 lbs. I was doing "normal" back squats at 185 but for me box squats are harder because of the sitting and getting back up at the bottom.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    I'm using 15s right now, but thinking about moving up to 20s. I'm concerned that if I go much heavier, it will make my thighs bigger instead of leaner. I'm not sure there's any science to that thinking, though...

You're right. There's not. Go as heavy as you can. Then when that gets doable, go heavier.