Girls - How heavy do you go for squats?

Options

Replies

• murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    How many squats are you people doing at these heavy weights? I do Body Pump where the squat track can be 3 - 3.5 minutes of squats ... and more squats, and more squats ... until I want to take the bar off my back and bludgeon my instructor. However, I realistically can't do more than 20 lbs on the bar or I want get through the other 57 minutes of class.

I'm guessing that squats aren't all you folks are doing or not in high reps.

Most people here are doing 1 to 5 reps. A typical beginning strength routine has you doing 3-5 sets of 5 reps.

I wouldn't say "most" or "typical". There are a lot of people who don't do the 5x5 strong lifts. I currently do 3 sets of 10-12 and then 4 sets of 8-10 on the days I increase the weight (sometimes I fail at 6 on the last set of these). I do however believe that most of us agree that heavier weight and less reps is more beneficial than low weight at higher reps. My goal when it comes to lifting is to be efficient not excessive which is why I focus on less reps and heavier weights as well as compound lifts.
  • arikag
    arikag Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    5x5s - 130 currently! :) and I'm a little shortie- I'm 5'0" and I weigh 108. I was always worried I'd "bulk-up" but that has not been the case at all! Good luck with lifting- it's a lot of fun!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Putting up 150 reguarly for 5 x 5 and on rep max last time was 200... hoping to be able to hit 275-300 by the end of the summer.

LOL at using 15's and 20's.... so cute. are they pink too?

chuckle. PIck up the weights girl.
  • carissar7
    carissar7 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I've been doing 5x5 for the past few months and got my squat up to 90-95 lbs. It would be higher if I didn't take a 3 week break this month.

I was at the gym yesterday getting back into it and this guy came over to me and saw that I was picking up 2.5 lb plates to put on either side which added to my 85 lbs making it 90. He commented on why I was 'only adding 5 lbs total' to the bar, and his friend made a joke saying "that's FINE for you, girls think they're gonna get bulky or something doing heavier weights".

I guess he didn't see the other 45 lbs that I added to the bar?? Making it a total of 90 lbs, not 50... -___-
  • WandaVonDunajew
    WandaVonDunajew Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I weigh around 60 kilos and go at about 50 kilos x 8. Would do more (went over body weight a couple of times) but I have a lumbar hernia and I am more cautious (have had relapse due to attempting a widowmaker at bw :/) now. I slowly want to build it again to at least bodyweight with ease (so around 60 kilos x 10). We;ll see afterwards, but my motto is... as heavy as possible with good form (in terms of squat that is atg for me, or at least a bit below parallell).
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    I've been doing 5x5 for the past few months and got my squat up to 90-95 lbs. It would be higher if I didn't take a 3 week break this month.

I was at the gym yesterday getting back into it and this guy came over to me and saw that I was picking up 2.5 lb plates to put on either side which added to my 85 lbs making it 90. He commented on why I was 'only adding 5 lbs total' to the bar, and his friend made a joke saying "that's FINE for you, girls think they're gonna get bulky or something doing heavier weights".

I guess he didn't see the other 45 lbs that I added to the bar?? Making it a total of 90 lbs, not 50... -___-
    They both sound like douchecanoes. So what if you were only making it a total of 50, rather than 90? I'm just starting lifting, and I wouldn't be able to go much heavier than that right now, but that doesn't mean d!cks like them can talk down to me for it. :grumble: :explode:
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options

Yeah, it's not wise to compare absolute amounts. Strength depends on many factors, including your weight (especially LBM), height (smaller people can lift proportionally heavier weights because they don't move them as far and have a mechanical advantage), age (older usually means weaker, all other things being equal), and experience. And sex of course.

^^yep. Plus whether someone is at a deficit or maintenance or a surplus.

This makes me feel better, especially since I've been lifting for a while. So....I'm fairly tall, female, still have a significant amount of body fat, have been eating at a deficit and I'm older than most of you....sheesh! What else do I have going against me? hehehehe

Another major factor I forgot to mention is genetics--the baseline composition of your muscle fibers and nervous system. Some people have more raw power starting out than others. And build makes a big difference, too. If you are one of those people with long limbs, a short torso, and narrow shoulders, you might never lift as much as someone with more advantageous proportions for lifting and is a match for you in every other way.

Upshot: compete against yourself first and foremost.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options

Most folks that say stupid *kitten* like that do so because they feel inferior to other folks. Try not to let it get to you, they suck at life.
  • murphy612
    Options
    Another major factor I forgot to mention is genetics--the baseline composition of your muscle fibers and nervous system. Some people have more raw power starting out than others. And build makes a big difference, too. If you are one of those people with long limbs, a short torso, and narrow shoulders, you might never lift as much as someone with more advantageous proportions for lifting and is a match for you in every other way.

Upshot: compete against yourself first and foremost.

Thanks, great information :) I actually have more upper body strength then lower which is usually the opposite for women. I am always focused on my own goals and I'm not a competitive person by nature, but I do question if I'm progressing enough when I see other people's stats. But considering I couldn't do one squat with my own body weight without falling over I'm doing an amazing job :laugh:
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I like it when girls are squatting 185+.

why?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it's not wise to compare absolute amounts. Strength depends on many factors, including your weight (especially LBM), height (smaller people can lift proportionally heavier weights because they don't move them as far and have a mechanical advantage), age (older usually means weaker, all other things being equal), and experience. And sex of course.

This makes me feel better, especially since I've been lifting for a while. So....I'm fairly tall, female, still have a significant amount of body fat, have been eating at a deficit and I'm older than most of you....sheesh! What else do I have going against me? hehehehe

Pffft - enough of the old. I am 6 years older :wink:

As bumblebums says, genetics also plays a big role. Just compare yourself to yourself. Use others as inspiration as to the fact that you can progress, but not as the 'be all and end all' to what you achieve - that comes from you progressing, not others. Adding reps or adding weights. Look back to 3 or 6 months ago. Are you lifting more? If yes, you have made progress.

Edited to fix quotes
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options

As bumblebums says, genetics also plays a big role. Just compare yourself to yourself. Use others as inspiration as to the fact that you can progress, but not as the 'be all and end all' to what you achieve - that comes from you progressing, not others. Adding reps or adding weights. Look back to 3 or 6 months ago. Are you lifting more? If yes, you have made progress.

Edited to fix quotes

And! Someone who is genetically endowed and young and has the right build but sits on her *kitten* all day will never measure up to someone who trains hard.
  • murphy612
    Options

Hey now! I said "older" not "old" I'm nowhere near old :wink: Thanks for the posts ladies, you are all very inspirational!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Hey now! I said "older" not "old" I'm nowhere near old :wink: Thanks for the posts ladies, you are all very inspirational!

:flowerforyou: :happy:
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    ...height (smaller people can lift proportionally heavier weights because they don't move them as far and have a mechanical advantage), age (older usually means weaker, all other things being equal), and experience. And sex of course.

Are you saying that having more sex means I'll squat more? That will make my husband happy.

The height thing makes sense and I'll use it as an excuse to be prouder of my squat. I'm 5'11ish and yesterday did 115 5x5; I'm going to work on progressively increasing this. I actually bench press more than I squat (120 5x5 yesterday).

This thread is awesome. You ladies are so impressive and inspirational.
  • luv_2_lift
    luv_2_lift Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Don't be afraid of the weights, you won't bulk - I'm at 165# right now for 1RM.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    ...height (smaller people can lift proportionally heavier weights because they don't move them as far and have a mechanical advantage), age (older usually means weaker, all other things being equal), and experience. And sex of course.

Are you saying that having more sex means I'll squat more? That will make my husband happy.

The height thing makes sense and I'll use it as an excuse to be prouder of my squat. I'm 5'11ish and yesterday did 115 5x5; I'm going to work on progressively increasing this. I actually bench press more than I squat (120 5x5 yesterday).

Depends on the position :tongue:
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options

Depends on the position :tongue:

Touche.
  • CalisthenicsQueen
    Options
    I do only calisthenics, body weight training so when I do my squats I up the reps and intensity by super setting them with another leg exercise!
  • Rambo529
    Rambo529 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I comfortably squat 195#x10, and was looking to improve. I'm hoping to break 200# in the next couple weeks. Depends on my shoulder's range of motion though. That's put a damper on things.