Girls - How heavy do you go for squats?

Options

Replies

• da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    About to start strong lift when I join my new gym next week. We have plated barbells and fixed weighted ones, think I'll stick to fixed weights at first, makes it easier to change weights for each exercise, plus I know the true weight, no need to add plates + bar lol

Can you use fixed weight barbells on a squat rack?

I don't believe so. It's actually easier to add weights with a regular barbell because as far as i know, you can only go up by 10 lbs with the fixed weight bars. That may be too much of a jump for you at some point. You are supposed to increase by 5lbs with stronglifts except for 10lbs on your deadlifts.
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I'm 42 yrs old, 151 pound and I'll be squatting 135 this afternoon on the Strong Lifts 5x5 program. My thighs have not increased or decreased in size as of yet, but they sure do look better.

We're practically twins :) I'm almost 42, about 148 lbs and I squatted 140 this morning (SL). I think I've lost about an inch off my thighs in the last few months, but I rarely weigh or measure myself anymore. I just go by how my clothes fit and how I look in the mirror.
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    Also when people say the amount of weight, is that the total weight of the plates added or does that include the bar?

Plates plus bar. Standard bar weights 45 lbs.

You should target doing reps at your bodyweight. And as many others have said, it is almost a physical impossibility for you to get bulky lifting heavier weights. You don't have enough testosterone or human growth hormone. Look up Jamie Eason and tell me if she's too bulky. I assure you that 99.9% of men don't think so.

How much does the smith machine bar weigh?

It should be an Olympic bar
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Also when people say the amount of weight, is that the total weight of the plates added or does that include the bar?

You should target doing reps at your bodyweight. And as many others have said, it is almost a physical impossibility for you to get bulky lifting heavier weights. You don't have enough testosterone or human growth hormone. Look up Jamie Eason and tell me if she's too bulky. I assure you that 99.9% of men don't think so.

I've only been logging the weight of the plates.

I'm squatting (plates only) 40lbs total for my first set (12 reps) and by the 4th set, I'm at 70lbs,

the angled leg press is another matter however,
    i can do about 4 reps at 145lbs (plates only) but am comfrotable around 110-130lbs.

how much does that bar weigh?

totally unrelated, what a difference using a machine makes!!!! I can barely hold 25lbs dumbbells in each hand but I knew I was capable of squatting alot more.

I'm 5'6, 133lbs.

I don't think you're supposed to log the weight of the bar on a smith because the machine really takes the majority of the bar
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options

I've only been logging the weight of the plates.

I'm squatting (plates only) 40lbs total for my first set (12 reps) and by the 4th set, I'm at 70lbs,

the angled leg press is another matter however,
    i can do about 4 reps at 145lbs (plates only) but am comfrotable around 110-130lbs.

how much does that bar weigh?

totally unrelated, what a difference using a machine makes!!!! I can barely hold 25lbs dumbbells in each hand but I knew I was capable of squatting alot more.

I'm 5'6, 133lbs.

Some smith machines have counter-weighted bars so the bar essentially weighs nothing. I have a smith in my house and the bar weighs 45 lbs and holds olympic plates.

And yes, the machine makes it much, MUCH easier. I don't usually tell people how much I squat on a smith because it's just not the same thing as free at all. I am looking forward to replacing my smith with a power rack next month and starting from scratch with my squat and bench.

The problem with the machine - and, again, I use one so I'm not trying to rag on you - is that you're not using any of the stabilizing muscles, so while you can push progressively more and more weight, you're not engaging all the muscles. Eventually, as you get really heavy, you will probably hurt yourself on a machine. I'm there... which is why I'm kind of no longer doing a proper 5x5 routine and need a real rack to improve at this point.
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    BoxSquats.jpg

This is what you should be going for. This is 225 lbs doing a box squat
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I am squatting 185 currently (squat rack - for some reason, I felt the need to clarify). I still have plenty of fat to lose, but even so, my legs and glutes haven't gotten bigger. The shape has improved nicely though - even with the extra fat on top, my legs and backside are much improved. As the fat is reduced, they will get smaller, not larger. Don't be afraid to go heavy.

*edited for typo
  • JulesAlloggio
    JulesAlloggio Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    These Days I am squatting up to 110 and I don't use a machine. I sometimes do drop sets as well.

I want to work up to my body weight, however, I have a bad foot from the Navy so I have to be careful.

Yep 'Beast Mode!'
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    Don't you add your body weight to the weight of the bars to get your total weight
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Don't you add your body weight to the weight of the bars to get your total weight

Nope. Your body weight doesn't count when you're working with free weights.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I'm 42 yrs old, 151 pound and I'll be squatting 135 this afternoon on the Strong Lifts 5x5 program. My thighs have not increased or decreased in size as of yet, but they sure do look better.

We're practically twins :) I'm almost 42, about 148 lbs and I squatted 140 this morning (SL). I think I've lost about an inch off my thighs in the last few months, but I rarely weigh or measure myself anymore. I just go by how my clothes fit and how I look in the mirror.

That's awesome! I would probably lose inches if I ate less. I'm not sure I'm really at a deficit as I haven't been tracking for the last few weeks. Also, how tall are you? I'm only 5'0".
  • EmilyJackCO
    EmilyJackCO Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I'm at 80 lb squats & split lunges as of yesterday - working on strength building right now and have gone up 30 lbs in 3 weeks. I also do 50 deep goblet squats and 40 lb wide angle squats (not sure what those are called, but they are tough!). I'm 5'9" and 135, and have been lifting for 4 years, but only seriously for the last 2. When I started, I was seriously underweight and had health and severe balance issues. We spent a long time fixing all of that first. :)
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,013 Member
    Options
    Interesting post, thanks gor sharing
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    125 pounds currently - but working towards my goal of 225 (1.8 times my weight)
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    My 1 rep max is 265.

Right now, I'm doing Wendler 5/3/1, so my squats are a percentage of 90% of my 1RM. They are anywhere from 150-225lbs, depending on the day of the program.

I'm 5'6", 180lbs. I'm only getting smaller.

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Here are approximate strength standards for women's squats. On Day 1, you'd be "untrained".

http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/SquatStandards.html

This table is average 1-rep max. Subtract about 15% from the standard for an approximate 5-rep weight, subtract about 25% for 10-rep weight.

That should give people a ballpark starting weight on Day 1 of doing weighted squats.
  • fruitloop2
    fruitloop2 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Doing the stronglifts 5x5 program too and am currently at 110lbs (free weights using a rack) to squat today.
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Smith machine bar typically weighs 10 or 15lbs. All the ones I've used have been 15 pounds and I think that's the typical standard. Some people will tell you that it weighs 0 pounds because it "feels like it weighs 0 pounds". That's not true unless the bar has been fully counterweighted.
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    Here are approximate strength standards for women's squats. On Day 1, you'd be "untrained".

http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/SquatStandards.html

This table is average 1-rep max. Subtract about 15% from the standard for an approximate 5-rep weight, subtract about 25% for 10-rep weight.

That should give people a ballpark starting weight on Day 1 of doing weighted squats.
    Thank you! Gives me an idea of where to start tonight and adjust as needed.
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    between 225 and 300.