Girls - How heavy do you go for squats?

Options

Replies

• silverinc13
    silverinc13 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I'm up to 145lb, looking forward to 150lb in my next round of 5/3/1! Just me and my SUPER BULKY THIGHS! :D
  • Grendel07
    Grendel07 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I squat 105lbs at the squat rack. And my thighs are not bulky or abnormally large. i love my legs.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    85kg is my 1 rep max. I Usually train on 60-75kg for working sets.

Oh and my legs have only got leaner since I started, they may be a little bit bigger in size now (note: I did purposefully eat to gain weight/muscle, it didn't happen by accident) but you can't deny that they're definitely leaner! They had no muscle tone whatsoever beforehand.
  • LianaG1115
    LianaG1115 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    72lb single kettlebell dead lifts, 35 lb double kettlebells to the sides dead lifts, 20lb squat and press over head, and more. I'm quite proud of these seeing I've never done any before this year in my LIFE! :drinker:
  • Ashley6278
    Options
    I couldn't agree more I rather have toned strong legs then weak fat ones.
  • HazelFit_
    Options
    Not that heavy. Only about 40lbs. I lose focus on my form when i go where i'm too uncomfortable
  • Point202
    Point202 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    You ladies are inspirational. I just started weightlifting, and am terrified of squats due to bad knees. I'm practicing good form though, and just did them with my 15lb barbell yesterday. I clearly do not use my hamstrings enough, because they are aching (in a good way) today.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    You ladies are inspirational. I just started weightlifting, and am terrified of squats due to bad knees. I'm practicing good form though, and just did them with my 15lb barbell yesterday. I clearly do not use my hamstrings enough, because they are aching (in a good way) today.

Make sure you do a full squat, at least to parallel, if not lower (if your hamstrings and hips are flexible enough). Not going to parallel is what risks knee injury, otherwise the knees are just a hinge to let the muscles do the work.
  • Chaskavitch
    Chaskavitch Posts: 172 Member
    Options

Make sure you do a full squat, at least to parallel, if not lower (if your hamstrings and hips are flexible enough). Not going to parallel is what risks knee injury, otherwise the knees are just a hinge to let the muscles do the work.

^this

If you can't go to parallel or below, try going into a super deep squat with just your body weight. Keep your feet flat on the floor and squat down until your thighs are touching your calves and your chest is close to your thighs (point your butt at the floor :) I've found that doing that and holding it a few times every day, even if you have to hold onto something for balance, helps strengthen the hip flexors. Try to stretch your hip flexors out, too. Those two things have made a huge difference in the depth of my squats. I used to have pain in my knees with squatting, too, but now that I'm going deeper and am stronger, it has gone away.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    175 x6 for back squats ( I have had to deload a few times :( )
    135 x 5for Zercher squats (proud of this :p)

BTW I am 131 sh
  • LauraTS33
    LauraTS33 Posts: 5
    Options
    I love squats, it's my favourite exercise. Currently I squat 115 kgs for reps, I'm not sure how that transaltes to pounds/ibs?
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    I love squats, it's my favourite exercise. Currently I squat 115 kgs for reps, I'm not sure how that transaltes to pounds/ibs?

about 253 lbs :love: That's awesome!
  • LaShorn
    LaShorn Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am working with a trainer and this week I did my squats with 135lbs. I was shocked that I could do this- I am 56 yrs old and I just started working with him in December 2013. I have lost 25lbs and I feel great. I came to this chat because I was curious as to how much weight is safe- thanks ladies for your input - I now feel better and I will listen to my body and increase weight/reps accordingly. We started with 5x5. It was amazing! Thanks ladies this was helpful and inspiring!
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    bump
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options

High five!

I'm still aiming for 112.5kg for a 1RM in competition to take the Scottish record in my weight class. Hit 107.5kg last time easy. Currently running volume training rather than intensity so weights are low but my *kitten* looks amazing!

(When I say low, I mean 70-80kg this week for sets of ten.)
  • baailyr
    baailyr Posts: 1
    Options
    Your thighs won't get any bigger if you go up I squat 105 and as long as you can break parallel in your squat it will work your butt much more
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    I am working with a trainer and this week I did my squats with 135lbs. I was shocked that I could do this- I am 56 yrs old and I just started working with him in December 2013. I have lost 25lbs and I feel great. I came to this chat because I was curious as to how much weight is safe- thanks ladies for your input - I now feel better and I will listen to my body and increase weight/reps accordingly. We started with 5x5. It was amazing! Thanks ladies this was helpful and inspiring!

great job!!!

i'm currently at 175 but will be working with a trainer soon and hope to get this up to 225 by year end
  • Temple_Fit
    Temple_Fit Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I'm squatting 4x6-8reps @ 265lbs. Afraid to go heavier w/o a spotter.
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    My daughter and I are doing Stronglifts 5x5 and last night we did 100lb squats.
  • pandasand
    pandasand Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I do 5x5 at 165lbs (60 on each side).