Replies

• BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    self-righteous OP is self-righteous :yawn:
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    This is simply a rant but I hate hearing people talk about their cheat days. This doesn't make any sense. You work you but off to lose weight then admittedly sabotage it and for what? Flavor? Wooo! That last about 4 minutes. Now in not referring to people who at at or near goal weight, it then becomes a personal choice for maintenance. I am also not referring to people who have a bad day because who hasn't? What im talking about are the people who have a lot of weight to lose who plan on eating like crap on a weekly basis. These are the same people who whine because they have only lost x amount of weight in x amount of time. Lose the weight and then eat like crap. Right now you are trying to lose weight, not maintain so quit destroying your work for food, thats why we all got fat in the first place...
  • turkeyhunter60
    turkeyhunter60 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Cheating only hurts yourself.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options

OP is right, though.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    So you get to decide when people are allowed to make personal choices that don't annoy you?

I choose no.
  • Kpablo
    Kpablo Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    This is simply a rant but I hate hearing people talk about their cheat days. This doesn't make any sense. You work you but off to lose weight then admittedly sabotage it and for what? Flavor? Wooo! That last about 4 minutes. Now in not referring to people who at at or near goal weight, it then becomes a personal choice for maintenance. I am also not referring to people who have a bad day because who hasn't? What im talking about are the people who have a lot of weight to lose who plan on eating like crap on a weekly basis. These are the same people who whine because they have only lost x amount of weight in x amount of time. Lose the weight and then eat like crap. Right now you are trying to lose weight, not maintain so quit destroying your work for food, thats why we all got fat in the first place...

I totally agree.

But I sabotage myself for alcohol. DAMN YOU VODKA! But that isn't very often.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

OP is right, though.

Then I must be doing it wrong. :laugh:
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    If a 'cheat day' causes so done to not be able to lose the weight or to slip back into bad habits; they should not have cheat days.

But some people can handle the occasional cheat day, a day to PT worry about obsessing over every gram and ounce of every food.

I, personally, do call them cheat days, because I make the rules for my own fitness and dietary lifestyle, and those rules say to "enjoy the fellowship of good friends and good food without worrying, from time to time." I have a tendency to become obsessed with food numbers and then I start putting food first and people last, even though it is 'good calorie counting foods"... People should be last on my list.

I lost the weight just fine and continue to keep it off.
  • yummy_
    yummy_ Posts: 248 Member
    Options

OP is peevish, though.

FTFY
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I can understand where you are coming from. I saw a post, last week I think, of someone who was planning a 5,000 calorie day. I'm not sure why they were going for that specific calorie amount, but to me that would undermine any progress I had. I can understand maybe going out having a little 'extra' of something, but that 5,000 calorie day just confused me.

That woman was 5'1 and 91 pounds with a goal of gaining weight. Her 'cheat' day does not have the same implication of someone elses cheat day.

Also 5000 isn't that much: I once ate a whole coldstone cake in a day which is roughly 6000 calories (and delicious.) and still had dinner later. I'm always skeptical of people who are all "Oh my gosh 2000-3000-5000 is just so much food!" Nah, not really.

And now I want coldstone.

....a whole cake is a lot of food for anyone and EXTREMELY unhealthy...that's more sugar tahn you should probably consume in a month let alone in one sitting...

so you are somehow justifying eating a whole cake in one day...????? Wowzers..and we wonder why 55% of the country is obese...

I'm not obese (I'm just skirting the edge of overweight/healthy if you believe in the BMI chart is one size fit all. Which I don't, but I digress) so you're assessment is invalid.

ummm I never said anything about BMI...I said we are now somehow justifying eating a whole cake? And my point was, with that kind of mentality it is no wonder that 55% of the county is obese...I did not say you and I never indicated you were in that percentile...

You're implying that my mentality (as I'm the one who ate the whole cake and am willing to justify it/not hate myself after the fact) leads to obesity or is in some way related to people being obese. I am not obese, so you have nothing to base your assessment that the mentality I exhibit leads to obesity. Nor, by the way, do you have any idea of the mentality or thought pattern of most obese people in this country. You have no idea if they believe, as a group, that eating a whole ice cream cake in a day is reasonable or not.

You trying to make a snide remark about obese people, implying that they must be sitting at home eating entire cakes, based off my story, and I don't appreciate logical fallacies with my statements at the crux.

right , so eating a whole chocolate cake in a day is a "good eating habit"

Who said anything about good eating habits? I just said that your snide remark about how my mentality is somehow related to obesity or shared by enough obese people that it could be considered a factor is a logical fallacy,

Also chocolate cake is disgusting. I'm offended at the notion.

Eating a whole cake is normal....riiiight.
    That's not the mentality that leads to someone being overweight?

Please quote and/or bold where I used the word 'normal'. In fact I believe I said "I once" implying it happened on ONE, singular occasion, which is a pretty clear indicator it wasn't a 'normal' even in my life. I'll thank you to not put words in my mouth or draw baseless conclusions from my words.

I once ate a whole ice cream cake from coldstone, which is about 6000 calories on its own, followed by a pretty large dinner. The next morning I went and did my PRT, finishing my run 3 minutes above the needed time and sailing through everything else. All this was meant to prove was that eating 5000 calories in a day is neither hard nor takes an overwhelming amount of food; I never used the words "normal' or 'good eating habits'. These are words that are being pushed at me, as If I said "everything should eat this way, its totes what I do on the day to day."

Also I wouldn't know what mentality leads to being overweight on either a personal level or for some/most overweight people. It's because I don't know that I wouldn't dare speculate upon it, unlike some other people.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I don't think of it as cheating. I think of it as planned splurges. So I work the splurge, whether it's a dinner, or a treat with the family into my day. I can't imagine just abandoning a whole day though. That goes against the lifestyle changes I'm working to make.

That is however, what works for me.
  • vstraughan
    vstraughan Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Yes, losing weight and keeping it off is supposed to be a lifestyle change, but many of us want the occasional treat (not cheat) as part of our lifestyles and know how to balance it out once its been had.

Don't be so bl**dy judgemental just because our lifestyle choice is different to yours.

If you don't want to read about people's mental and physical journeys and how they learn to adapt, via forum support or other means, then don't read those threads. Just shake your head and say "not for me!" and there's certainly no-one who will think less of you for it.
  • closenre
    closenre Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Just shake your head and say "not for me!" and there's certainly no-one who will think less of you for it.

Usually do.. thanks for the advice tho!!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I completely agree.. im not saying cut out anything, thats why I love this site but to plan on eating 1000s of calories over your goal is sabotage, is it not? Eat anything you want but in moderation, not over endulgence

I get what you are saying. I've never been obese or been prone to binge eating so I can't really understand the struggles of those that have, but it seem counter-productive to me to plan these days, when life will throw the opportunity at you occasionally anyway. By sticking to my diet on most days I don't have to worry about the family reunion where I am expected to try a bit of what everyone brought, or the cake and champagne at a wedding, or too much beer and ribs at the neighbors cookout, etc.

Every week seems pretty often for cheating. I would think you'd have to undereat 6 days a week to be able to go crazy every 7 days. But maybe that works for some. It wouldn't for me.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Having a planned cheat day isn't really cheating. I have do days where I allow myself more calories than others, but I always track no matter what.

I eat in a sustainable, healthy way. I'm a fan of not letting myself get too hungry and going without for too long. If I have a true craving for something one might consider junk food, I will just do it and move on.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Just shake your head and say "not for me!" and there's certainly no-one who will think less of you for it.

Usually do.. thanks for the advice tho!!

LOLLERCOASTER, you didn't say you rock a low cal diet. I ate more on saturday then you ate on tuesday through sunday combined. To each his own I guess
  • 22workout
    22workout Posts: 36
    Options

I am with you. I never understood "cheat days"
    The reason why I dont take them is because im trying to train my taste buds to not like the food so I never have to worry about binging on sweets again. I have a weakness for anything sugar. So I stayed away from sugar for 16 days .I stopped craving it. I took a "cheat day" and now im back where I started craving sugar again. Thanks cheat day.
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Why is this topic always an argument on this board? If you believe in cheat days, great. If you don't believe in cheat days, great also. No amount of bickering is going to change someone else's opinion on the matter, so why bother? Live and let live. If your method is working for you, that's all that matters.
  • Huntress72
    Huntress72 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    ^ This :)