Running. An avoidance behavior?

Replies

• HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    I see nothing wrong with running. I feel free whenever I can do it. Not free from my problems or battle but just from the shackles of life. It's something I miss terribly. I've never thought of it as running FROM something but more like running TOWARDS something. There's something so mind numbing and zen about the footfalls repeating over and over, and something empowering about the fact that I can do it with just my body, no props, machines, or anything. I think it's a freedom lovers endeavor and nothing less.

I think strength training with weights has it's obvious advantages too, but I think neither is mutually exclusive. Unless you have a rival like a sancho or something who is a runner, i'm not sure why you'd feel the need to bash running in order to embrace lifting?

run-forever-jesse-owens-quote.jpg?w=611

Love this quote. I just took up running (C25K) and this quote says it all. :)
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    i love the feeling of accomplishment after a good run and all the sweet calories that i've made go to their final resting place. but i love lifting too. a ton. not that i lift a ton ;) not literally 2,000 lbs. just figuratively.

anyway. you = 10/10 would bang. oh, and this thread is divisive. kidding.

moral of the story: lifting = awesome. but despite what you say and some studies you may post, i still believe in running and i still enjoy it! boom.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    I enjoy running to my drug dealer's house to lift my huge bag of drugs.
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    You know what else causes withdrawal symptoms? YOUR MOM.

That's not true.

I'm going to ask her.
  • Ascolti_la_musica
    Ascolti_la_musica Posts: 676 Member
    ....:noway:
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    I see nothing wrong with running. I feel free whenever I can do it. Not free from my problems or battle but just from the shackles of life. It's something I miss terribly. I've never thought of it as running FROM something but more like running TOWARDS something. There's something so mind numbing and zen about the footfalls repeating over and over, and something empowering about the fact that I can do it with just my body, no props, machines, or anything. I think it's a freedom lovers endeavor and nothing less.

I think strength training with weights has it's obvious advantages too, but I think neither is mutually exclusive. Unless you have a rival like a sancho or something who is a runner, i'm not sure why you'd feel the need to bash running in order to embrace lifting?

run-forever-jesse-owens-quote.jpg?w=611

Love this quote. I just took up running (C25K) and this quote says it all. :)

Calling lungs courageous is poetic, but dumb.

I still have yet to see anything but pretty words from people who disagree with this post. No studies yet. Funny, that...
  • HotCuppaJo
    HotCuppaJo Posts: 476 Member
    I run so I can drink more beer. The end.

FTW!!! :drinker:
  • BigBigBertha
    BigBigBertha Posts: 208 Member
    I'm failing to see how time spent running or lifting weights has any effect on finding solutions to our 'problems', (apart from fitness). And if it does then that is a bonus.

I do lots of different types of exercise, including running, and the one factor I like about all of them is the challenge - to lift a heavier weight, do more reps, increase flexibility and balance, go further or faster. Therefore, I run because I like the challenge aspect.

You disregard the fact that not everyone uses exercise to try and tackle unspecified problems, and that you can continually challenge yourself in all forms of exercise. That's how I see it anyway.

Just because you like weight lifting does not make running suddenly inferior. It's simply different. People run for different reasons and will find it effects them differently.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Geesh. . .feeling superior today?

I get a lot of time to contemplate my problems and think through solutions while out on a long run. And then, when I return from my run. . .I implement my thought-through solutions. Not really like running away at all. Maybe it's because I also like to pick heavy things up and put them down. . . nah. I do that, but running is where I do my best thinking. It's not to clear my head. . .it's to have time, free from distraction, to just think through things.

Keep lifting & keep feeling superior. #rockon
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Well only one is going to help you if you are trying to get away from zombies
    walking-dead-school-run.jpg

Or if you get into a little trouble
    cop-parkour-fail.gif

Or time traveling
    tumblr_m9x9wdilDB1qde8kx.gif

well maybe if you need to bust up a chair, then weight lifting would help.
    4a7b14f3f734c57a2096fe98e182e608-glen.jpg
  • msmiddleton24
    msmiddleton24 Posts: 2 Member
    Thanks for your comment, I just join the gym and I've been doing more weight lifting and its more challenging to me but, I love it.
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    The study has to do with withdrawal symptoms for activity-based anorexia. It's not saying that running is bad for everyone. It has to do specifically with rats that were withheld food and their reactions.

I'm not saying lifting is bad either. I'm in the camp that cardio and strength should not be mutually exclusive. I think they are both very important.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    As contrarian mentioned, I am both a runner and a lifter. Thus, I could beat you up. Or, if I find I could not, I can run away.

And you say it causes withdrawal symptoms. You know what else causes withdrawal symptoms? YOUR MOM.

Or you could run fast enough to catch him...and then beat him up? streaker_run_191049107788_640x360.jpg
  • Last I checked, my problems are still there after I lift heavy things and put them down, too.

Exercise isn't necessarily about tackling problems. For me, it's to be healthy and feel good about myself, and I actually actively meet and tackle running problems while running. Some days every step is a problem I have to fight with. I don't use it to cope with life issues, and running doesn't mean i'm running away from anything. I don't feel any more cowardly for having started it, just like the messenger from Marathon wasn't a coward for following his commander's orders and delivering his message.

I think you've got the wrong idea. But, different strokes for different folks.
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    I run because I love it, I lift to get stronger, I sit down and actually work on my problems to fix them.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    i'll have to take a look at this later...

and.....having with withdrawal, you can get that from anything....
  • hungrywhodat
    hungrywhodat Posts: 40 Member
    Wait, Pheidippides was a coward and a failure? He completed his assigned mission before he died.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    I'll be the first to be eaten by zombies, as I can't outrun them or kick their *kitten*.

That is all.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,021 Member
    Well, the study to end all studies is the one that proves stronger people are harder to kill. It's not just common sense; it's science.
    Muscular strength is inversely and independently associated with death from all causes and cancer in men, even after adjusting for cardiorespiratory fitness and other potential confounders.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2453303/
This discussion has been closed.