why are crossfit facilities/ classes SO expensive?

Options

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Just a tip for anyone reading this far into the thread, and assuming the thread might still actually be about CrossFit:

From personal experience, if I ever feel the pankering to do a CrossFit type workout, I'll just throw a few moves together, generally set a goal of how much of each I want to do, and see how quickly I can accomplish it (albeit, while keeping proper form in any said moves). In fact, this is Tuesday and Friday evenings for me every week currently - 100 push ups and 50 pull ups for time, usually done twice (for a total of 200/100).

I feel aside from the daily variation and group environment (unless of course you get a bunch of friends together for this), it's more or less the same thing.

and by "same thing", you mean it's "totally not the same thing"
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Because it isn't cheap to get people to join the Cult of Poor Form and made up moves, I mean you could Harlem Shake for an hour 4 days a week, and get the same results .... wait did I say that out loud.. DIBs I called it .. I'm opening a new gym called the Harlem Shakers, combing one latest fad with taking peoples money... I'm going to be RICH (evil laugh ensues)

Yep, those deadlifts, burpees, box jumps, pushups and pullups sure are made up moves. I'm quite certain no one has ever done a situp or a wall ball before CrossFit, either.
  • PomegranatePriestess
    PomegranatePriestess Posts: 2,455 Member
    Options
    Because it isn't cheap to get people to join the Cult of Poor Form and made up moves, I mean you could Harlem Shake for an hour 4 days a week, and get the same results .... wait did I say that out loud.. DIBs I called it .. I'm opening a new gym called the Harlem Shakers, combing one latest fad with taking peoples money... I'm going to be RICH (evil laugh ensues)

Maybe YouTube has given people the impression that poor form is rampant. At my location, the coaches walk around and correct or adjust people as needed, constantly.

But then, I actually DO CrossFit instead of just watching people do it.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

Yep, those deadlifts, burpees, box jumps, pushups and pullups sure are made up moves. I'm quite certain no one has ever done a situp or a wall ball before CrossFit, either.

as are push presses, clean jerks, and snatches. i wonder how weightlifting even became an olympic sport before there was crossfit
  • Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I feel aside from the daily variation and group environment (unless of course you get a bunch of friends together for this), it's more or less the same thing.

and by "same thing", you mean it's "totally not the same thing"

Pretty much lol, I guess "more or less the same thing" could be taken as meaning "somewhere within the ballpark." I have a horrible habit of speaking quite often in generalities.
  • PomegranatePriestess
    Options
    Thanks to SideSteel, who posted this link this morning. I'm just gonna leave this here:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=154214711

(World record being obliterated by a woman in Nashua NH at a CrossFit competition.)

Haters please feel free to scrutinize her form. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • ZealousMissJJ
    ZealousMissJJ Posts: 454 Member
    Options

Maybe YouTube has given people the impression that poor form is rampant. At my location, the coaches walk around and correct or adjust people as needed, constantly.

But then, I actually DO CrossFit instead of just watching people do it.

LOL, I love you!! That is exactly what I was thinking.
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    Just wait for the craze to die down. Remember a few years ago when Zumba was all the rage? It use to be $20 a class. Now it's like $5 or free at most gyms you are a member of.
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Anyone who bashes someone else's choice in their fitness regimen is an a**hat. These people are usually narcissistic *kitten* who can't see passed their clown-sized 5lb tubs of brotein to be supportive of anyone getting fit by doing what works for them. Not everyone wants to be an Oly Lifter or a Body Builder... but if you do, GREAT! More power to you. But don't be a bro and bash someone else for doing CrossFit... you only perpetuate the meathead stereotype.

OP... you have to remember that you are basically getting professional coaching each class. Also, it depends on the Box you go to. Some have a wide variety of plans. Unlimited, 5 days/wk, 3 days/wk, etc. Plus the equipment gets beat to hell on a constant basis.

Go price out a single hour 1-on-1 with a personal trainer and watch how quickly the sticker shock hits you.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Just wait for the craze to die down. Remember a few years ago when Zumba was all the rage? It use to be $20 a class. Now it's like $5 or free at most gyms you are a member of.

I'm not saying it isn't a fad or that it will be this popular forever - time will tell - but Zumba does not have people like Christmas Abbott or anything like the Crossfit Games.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Anyone who bashes someone else's choice in their fitness regimen is an a**hat. These people are usually narcissistic *kitten* who can't see passed their clown-sized 5lb tubs of brotein to be supportive of anyone getting fit by doing what works for them. Not everyone wants to be an Oly Lifter or a Body Builder... but if you do, GREAT! More power to you. But don't be a bro and bash someone else for doing CrossFit... you only perpetuate the meathead stereotype.

OP... you have to remember that you are basically getting professional coaching each class. Also, it depends on the Box you go to. Some have a wide variety of plans. Unlimited, 5 days/wk, 3 days/wk, etc. Plus the equipment gets beat to hell on a constant basis.

Go price out a single hour 1-on-1 with a personal trainer and watch how quickly the sticker shock hits you.

This post uses stereotypes to bash people that use stereotypes to bash people.

FAIL.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

FAIL.

I considered making a post that uses stereotypes to bash people who use stereotypes to bash people who use stereotypes to bash people.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options

FAIL.

I considered making a post that uses stereotypes to bash people who use stereotypes to bash people who use stereotypes to bash people.

IN for bashing.

I mean SMASHHHHHHing...like the HULK and stuff.

yep.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

FAIL.

IN for bashing.

I mean SMASHHHHHHing...like the HULK and stuff.

yep.

WHERE ARE MY BROWNIES!!! SOMEONE SAID THERE'D BE BROWNIES IN HERE!!

Oh, that's brotein, not brownies. I want brownie flavored brotein!!
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Didnt read the other 7 pages ....

Its because Plyoboxes are so damn expensive.
  • PomegranatePriestess
    Options

WHERE ARE MY BROWNIES!!! SOMEONE SAID THERE'D BE BROWNIES IN HERE!!

Oh, that's brotein, not brownies. I want brownie flavored brotein!!

I'm sorry. May I offer you some Koolaid? :drinker:
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

And Crossfit is so incredibly greedy/elitist that they require you to buy your plyo boxes directly from them at a substantial markup.

Well, either that or they provide plans to build your own: http://library.crossfit.com/free/pdf/49_06_plyo_boxes.pdf

Eh, probably the former. (Crossfit gyms are just in it for the money...but globo gyms exist just to provide a service to the community.)
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

And Crossfit is so incredibly greedy/elitist that they require you to buy your plyo boxes directly from them at a substantial markup.

Well, either that or they provide plans to build your own: http://library.crossfit.com/free/pdf/49_06_plyo_boxes.pdf

Eh, probably the former. (Crossfit gyms are just in it for the money...but globo gyms exist just to provide a service to the community.)

Hm. Never had to buy a plyobox...or really anything for that matter. I bought my jump rope, but that's because I'm short and I wanted one that fits right. Maybe you want to try spouting off garbage again when you actually have some experience at a local box.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Hm. Never had to buy a plyobox...or really anything for that matter. I bought my jump rope, but that's because I'm short and I wanted one that fits right. Maybe you want to try spouting off garbage again when you actually have some experience at a local box.

I can't tell if you are referring to Jof (which it looks like because he is the last person you quoted) or not. If so, I am pretty sure you missed his sarcasm.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

i know it's early, but please turn your sarcasm meter on.