why are crossfit facilities/ classes SO expensive?

Options

Replies

• RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    A boxing gym is about 70 bucks a month. With 90 minute classes offered about 5 times per day, and small class sizes (as low as 3 if you go to my gym at 6 am), and individualized attention. It's not cheap, but you get WAY more for your buck than you would at a Crossfit gym. You get strength, cardio, endurance, coordination, balance, and you learn a new sport / skill. It also has a cult like group atmosphere that gets people pretty hooked.
    Let's think about this... Your praising your boxing gym membership because it offers multiple classes at multiple times of the day with small class sizes and lots of individualized attention. It's a swinging-**** of a deal, to you, because they offer strength, cardio, endurance, coordination, and balance. I'm sorry... this sounds an awful lot like crossfit.
    Perhaps your boxing gym is the one that cultivates a cult atmostphere to get people hooked.
    Maybe you should also take in the view in your glass house before throwing stones, eh?
  • Briko3
    Briko3 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Our church does it for free for the community. Maybe one around you does too?
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    From what I've been reading on this thread, part of the problem stems from their being no clear definition as to what Crossfit is or isn't. There is a Crossfit website that lists the Workout of the Day, but many Crossfit facilities don't use that as their workout.

When I take group classes at the YMCA, there is a standard as to what a strength training workout is, what a spin workout is, what a step class workout is, etc because they use workouts designed by the Body Training Systems franchise. They are free to substitute a track (exercise routine done to rock music) from one seasonal release for another, but everything within that workout was created by the Body Training Systems franchise. I would imagine that the Les Mills franchise is similar in that when you see an ad for one of their classes, you basically know what you will be doing. The YMCA also offers personal training, weight loss programs, and non-BTS fitness classes, but that's a different story.

But when people say they do Crossfit, even though Crossfit is a franchise, you really don't know what they do unless they give you detains of their workout that day.

Oh, Health_Gal. When will you learn that you can't change the world with a couple of PMs and a message board? CrossFitters are going to CrossFit. Give it up, already.
  • PRMinx
    Options
    Hey fellow CrossFitters. I need some help. Today I wore long black stretchy pants from Under Armour and a Lululemon top to the box. I just...I just...I just don't know where I belong now? Help!
  • PomegranatePriestess
    PomegranatePriestess Posts: 2,455 Member
    Options
    Hey fellow CrossFitters. I need some help. Today I wore long black stretchy pants from Under Armour and a Lululemon top to the box. I just...I just...I just don't know where I belong now? Help!

It's okay, just tell everyone there your uniform had too many Koolaid stains on it so you had to wash it. Then, do 50 burpees as penance. You should be right as rain in no time.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

I wore an under armor tank and lulu bottoms yesterday. Maybe we should switch.

Whoever that chick one with the Nike for running - I don't think so. Saucony or Asics are real running gear. :flowerforyou:

I also wear Sugoi gear for biking. Saucony gear for running. I have a club tshirt from my triathlon club, swimming club and one from my gym from when I competed in a bodybuilding competition. I have a running club jacket and hats. Not to mention all my race shirts. I don't have a crossfit shirt yet but I am sure I will acquire one.
    I'm equally obsessive about all of my sports (actually a little more so towards running).

I'm also confused, in this thread or another I thought someone said crossfitters wear reebok?
  • PRMinx
    Options

It's okay, just tell everyone there your uniform had too many Koolaid stains on it so you had to wash it. Then, do 50 burpees as penance. You should be right as rain in no time.

Great idea. Then Ill finish up with some snatches. For extra credit.
  • PRMinx
    Options

Whoever that chick one with the Nike for running - I don't think so. Saucony or Asics are real running gear. :flowerforyou:

I also wear Sugoi gear for biking. Saucony gear for running. I have a club tshirt from my triathlon club, swimming club and one from my gym from when I competed in a bodybuilding competition. I have a running club jacket and hats. Not to mention all my race shirts. I don't have a crossfit shirt yet but I am sure I will acquire one.
    I'm equally obsessive about all of my sports (actually a little more so towards running).

I'm also confused, in this thread or another I thought someone said crossfitters wear reebok?

Together we might make one whole CrossFitter...although Under Armour has not been officially ordained. I've presented the case to the Grand CrossFit Council and am awaiting their reply.

In other news, I totally admire how many sports you do. Nice!
  • darwinwoodka
    darwinwoodka Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Lululemon is a cult too. No way I would pay that much for workout clothes. ;^)
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

I run in Brooks.

Sorry, but given our differences in running cult shoe choices, we can no longer be friends...

...at least until you realize the error of your ways and return to the One True Way of running.

I will pray for you.

ETA: Don't tell my Brooks Brethren, but I recently ordered a pair of Innov-8 minimalist shoes. Oh, and I play ultimate frisbee in Adidas Copa Mundials.
  • Mattsama
    Mattsama Posts: 36 Member
    Options

I wore Saucony and Asics for years before I switched to my 5-Fingers. Then I hurt myself and now I'm in Adidas Boost.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

And based on some earlier MFP threads, the company apparently hates fat people.
  • Mattsama
    Options

Are they a subsidiary of Abercrobie & Fitch or whatever??
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

I run in Brooks.

Sorry, but given our differences in running cult shoe choices, we can no longer be friends...

...at least until you realize the error of your ways and return to the One True Way of running.

I will pray for you.

ETA: Don't tell my Brooks Brethren, but I recently ordered a pair of Innov-8 minimalist shoes. Oh, and I play ultimate frisbee in Adidas Copa Mundials.

Damn. I just replied to another one of your posts saying I always agree with you. Now I'm a liar.

Pray for me.

Since we are confessing I really hate Asics, Saucony is my preference but I'm currently running in Mizunos. I actual have a pair of Reebox minimal shoes for crossfit (I originally bought them for the regular gym )

But my point still stands that Nike is not a real running brand.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

No, but it wouldn't surprise me if management of each company were in the same cult.
  • TheApocalypse
    TheApocalypse Posts: 319 Member
    Options

Do they sell certain sizes in "manatee grey"...?
  • Mattsama
    Options

No, but it wouldn't surprise me if management of each company were in the same cult.

Evidence of the New World Order conspiracy theory? Or complete and unter coincidence held together by very very very loosely threaded ideas... We'll never know!! Until it's too late. MUA HAHAHAHAHa
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

I run in Brooks.

I will pray for you.

Damn. I just replied to another one of your posts saying I always agree with you. Now I'm a liar.

Pray for me.

Since we are confessing I really hate Asics, Saucony is my preference but I'm currently running in Mizunos. I actual have a pair of Reebox minimal shoes for crossfit (I originally bought them for the regular gym )

I really wanted to like the Sauconys, but the heel cup was a little too loose which caused slippage. I bought a pair of UA trainers for crossfit, but they put the heel support so far forward that it was on the ball of my foot. I replaced them with Adidas, but not really thrilled with those either. I ordered the Innov-8 to either use them in the gym or start transitioning to a more minimalist running style. Maybe both.

(But no one should follow my lead in anything fitness related given my propensity for injury and my preliminary current diagnosis of a possible stress fracture in my shin/ankle...(and before the haters pounce, this was *before* I had ever set foot in a crossfit gym).)
  • 5n0wbal1
    5n0wbal1 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    It's expensive because its the latest 'thing'. Wait until the next big 'thing' is out and the prices will go down.

^^This. Yes.
  • PomegranatePriestess
    PomegranatePriestess Posts: 2,455 Member
    Options
    You guys, I heard of a cult even worse than Crossfit! Where they expect you to log in every single day and record every single bit of exercise you do and everything you eat, I mean down to the ounce! You give them all kinds of personal information, and then they tell you exactly how much you should be eating every day... everyone who gets sucked into the cult starts broadcasting about it to all their friends and urging them to try it... They make a big deal out of it when you miss a day by stripping away your "streak" and everything!

Wait a minute...