Eating breakfast is making me hungrier

Options
You hear it everywhere that you should eat breakfast everyday and perhaps even make it your biggest meal. For me I've noticed that if I eat breakfast I'm hungrier all day and I'm hungrier in the mornings as well. Any tips or can you relate?

Another weird thing is that if I just have coffee in the morning I'm fine and not hungry until lunch.

Replies

• noobletmcnugget
    noobletmcnugget Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem! If I have breakfast then I'm ridiculously hungry by about 11am. If I don't eat lunch then I can be perfectly fine until like 3-4pm...

PS: I don't really see how breakfast supposedly 'kick starts' your metabolism... as if it stops during the night!? Hmmm no. You'd be dead.
  • momzeeee
    momzeeee Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    The whole 'breakfast is a must' thing is a myth. If you don't want to eat breakfast, then don't eat it :) I usually break my fast at 11am and that schedule works great for me.
  • MissDana1105
    MissDana1105 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    It gets your metabolism going, which is something we all want when we want to lose weight! I would still suggest eating breakfast, maybe something heavier if you can. Oatmeal, a banana and a protein?
  • Meg_Shirley_86
    Meg_Shirley_86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    The whole 'breakfast is a must' thing is a myth. If you don't want to eat breakfast, then don't eat it :) I usually break my fast at 11am and that schedule works great for me.

THIS. Absolutely. I am actually hungry for breakfast since I am far along in my pregnancy, so I eat. However, not pregnant Meg is not ever hungry for brekky and is ravenous by 10:30 am if I eat breakfast. No thank you! It doesn't effect your metabolism one way or another, so do what makes sense for you and your nutritional goals.
  • ali_b83
    ali_b83 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Breakfast makes me hungry all day. That's why I haven't eaten it in over 6 months. Look into intermittent fasting.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I don't eat breakfast or two reasons:

1. Not hungry
    2. makes me hungirer all day (at least it seems to)

Coffee for breakfast works fine for me - the caffeine is a bit of an appetite suppressant, I think, because i feel no hunger at all until sometime around noon (but i also eat late at night).
  • athenalove46
    athenalove46 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Eating breakfast IS important and the fact that you're hungry shortly after means you didn't have enough fat/protein with your breakfast or that your metabolism has kicked in and is telling you that it NEEDS food. Food is your friend, not your enemy.
  • Meg_Shirley_86
    Meg_Shirley_86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    It gets your metabolism going, which is something we all want when we want to lose weight! I would still suggest eating breakfast, maybe something heavier if you can. Oatmeal, a banana and a protein?

Respectfully, while that theory is very popular, it has been disproven. I don't have the links to the (scientific) sources offhand, but I know someone on here will!
  • jzammetti
    Options

This is patently untrue. The only thing that makes your metabolism faster is increasing lean body mass.
  • lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Simple rule if it isn't broke don't fix it... Breakfast works for me... If it doesn't work for you don't try to make it! Own the truth of who you are and how your body works... Figure out what works and what doesn't work for you and keep doing the things that work and adjusting things that don't work.
  • Stacemace83
    Stacemace83 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    bump
  • TX_Aggie_Dad
    TX_Aggie_Dad Posts: 173
    Options
    I'd be interested to know what the broscience debunkers have to say on the topic. It seems logical that not eating until 3-4pm in the day, everyday (not intermitent fasting) would have a negative impact on metabolism but that could be all broscience for all I know. Personnaly, I know that if I don't start eating early in the day, I'd never get all my calories in as I don't like to eat big meals later in the day.

I do believe that I've read about correlation between being overweight and not eating breakfast. Not sure whether there is causation there or not.
  • ali_b83
    ali_b83 Posts: 324 Member
    Options

3rqaxx_zps8f42347c.jpg
  • EmmaH14
    EmmaH14 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm ok if I have a high protein breakfast but if I have cereal or toast I'm hungry again an hour later. I will admit that I'm not hungry when I first wake up but I'm lucky that I stay at home with my young children so I tend to feed them first thing and then eat my breakfast around 9-9.30am and that keeps me going until lunch.
  • RobinSchneid
    Options
    Thank you for all the posts and for letting me know that eating breakfast is not so important. What I have been eating the last few days is wheat free toaster waffles with peanut butter and reduced sugar jam. It just makes me want MORE! I know that basically weight loss is calories in, calories out and that I do tend to eat late at night (very difficult not to do). I think really what I want to do is try my best to eat only when I am hungry. Sometimes I am really hungry all day, just gotta take advantage of the days I'm not.
  • jzammetti
    Options

It seems logical that not eating until 3-4pm in the day, everyday (not intermitent fasting) would have a negative impact on metabolism but that could be all broscience for all I know.

Not eating until 3 or 4 every day IS intermittent fasting...
  • ShaunaMcMac
    ShaunaMcMac Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I don't think breakfast makes me hungrier, but it definitely doesn't make me less hungry. I have a cup of coffee and toast and PB every morning and that will get me through lunch. My best situation is when I eat light and often in the morning, med size lunch, big 3pm snack, then light dinner. You should try different combos to see what works for you ????????
  • klappeh
    klappeh Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I know exactly whst you mean--the same happens to me. I have been doing the 16:8 intermittent fasting (google it). I haven't eaten breakfast in 2 weeks and I'm fine. I wait to eat lunch at 12 and then dinner when i get home from work. That way I don't feel hungry all day and can have larger meals later, which I prefer. Good luck !

Oh also, a tip I've heard works is to put a tablespoon of coconut oil with your coffee in the morning if you drink it--it's supposed to curb hunger.
  • mdcoug
    mdcoug Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Have you tried decreasing the amount of carbs you eat and increasing the protein? Not that I'm any better at it, but I do find that breakfast helps me out. I do usually end up eating a mid-morning snack, so breakfast certainly doesn't keep me satisfied until noon.
  • melmckay99
    melmckay99 Posts: 358
    Options
    I wouldn't say that eating breakfast makes me hungrier throughout the day, but I do find that whether I eat it or not, I start to get hungry again around 10:30-11am. This has lead me to start skipping breakfast more often these days since it leaves me with more time in the mornings and also I have one less meal to worry about throughout the day. More time + less stress = happy me!