Eating breakfast is making me hungrier

Options

Replies

• Andrew_peter
    Andrew_peter Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Never hungry in the mornings anyways and would rather have a light lunch and large supper instead anyways. The odd time I eat breakfast I find I just get really hungry too right around 1030-11am.
  • Meg_Shirley_86
    Meg_Shirley_86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I'd be interested to know what the broscience debunkers have to say on the topic. It seems logical that not eating until 3-4pm in the day, everyday (not intermitent fasting) would have a negative impact on metabolism but that could be all broscience for all I know. Personnaly, I know that if I don't start eating early in the day, I'd never get all my calories in as I don't like to eat big meals later in the day.

I do believe that I've read about correlation between being overweight and not eating breakfast. Not sure whether there is causation there or not.

You are correct that there is correlation. People who don't eat breakfast are often very hungry by lunch and even hungrier by dinner and make unwise food choices. Food timing has been proven to have a negligible effect on your metabolism. Since you don't like to eat much later in the day, and you are probably hungry for breakfast, more power to you. Breakfast is by no means bad. Some of us just can eat a perfectly balanced, healthy breakfast, without added sugar and with plenty of healthy carbs and protein, and still be starving well before lunch. For people like that, it makes it much harder to fit your calorie goals the rest of the day if you are trying to lose, and it isn't worth it for a meal you probably were not hungry for in the first place.
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    These guys don't eat breakfast and they seem pretty fit. They eat a late lunch and dinner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emImqsdov6s
  • 1BRINKLEY
    1BRINKLEY Posts: 13
    Options
    Me too. So I just don't eat breakfast. Everyone is different. Do what works for you!!
  • autumnrunning
    autumnrunning Posts: 103
    Options
    What?

How can some people say breakfast is not important???

It is the best thing ever!!! Ok, it's your own choice but you don't know what you're missing...
  • chatogal
    chatogal Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem! If I have breakfast then I'm ridiculously hungry by about 11am. If I don't eat lunch then I can be perfectly fine until like 3-4pm...

PS: I don't really see how breakfast supposedly 'kick starts' your metabolism... as if it stops during the night!? Hmmm no. You'd be dead.
    lol....love your reply...I think people get confused...umm maybe eating breakfast kick starts your gut...but then again so does lunch..and actually (not wanting to be too gross here) a cup of tea kick starts mine just fine:smile:
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    nah,
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    If you prefer skipping breakfast and you're still able to meet you calorie and nutrient needs by the end of the day in doing so, then just skip breakfast.
  • TX_Aggie_Dad
    TX_Aggie_Dad Posts: 173
    Options
    If you don't eat breakfast, when do you eat pancakes? And bacon? Sounds like a horrible existence. ;-)
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    You'll be find just waiting till lunch if that's when you normally first get hungry. Don't worry too much about meal timing. I usually consume the majority of my calories in the evenings.
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    I'd be interested to know what the broscience debunkers have to say on the topic. It seems logical that not eating until 3-4pm in the day, everyday (not intermitent fasting) would have a negative impact on metabolism but that could be all broscience for all I know.

Starting your first meal at 3 or 4pm is intermittent fasting. :)
  • msliu7911
    msliu7911 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I agree with others, if you're not hungry in the morning then don't eat. :)

There are many Saturday or Sunday mornings when I've gone over on my calories the night before, and rather than eating a breakfast that morning because I "have to" I just go work out and assume I'm burning the overage of calories from the day before. :)
  • TX_Aggie_Dad
    TX_Aggie_Dad Posts: 173
    Options
    I'd be interested to know what the broscience debunkers have to say on the topic. It seems logical that not eating until 3-4pm in the day, everyday (not intermitent fasting) would have a negative impact on metabolism but that could be all broscience for all I know.

Sorry,I thought IM was more something you did occassionally as in 1-2 days per week as opposed ot everyday. So I guess I was thinking of "occassional" IM. I'll do a little google research to get smarter on the topic so I don't derail this thread from the original topic. Thanks for pointing out my mistake.
  • TheDoctorDana
    TheDoctorDana Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    OP I am exactly the same way so I decided if I'm not hungry, then I'm not going to eat. Isn't eating when we're not hungry how we got here? :ohwell:
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I'm with you here. When I used to eat breakfast, I got very hungry by mid-morning. Now I choose to wait until lunch to eat, and it works out pretty well.
    I'd be interested to know what the broscience debunkers have to say on the topic. It seems logical that not eating until 3-4pm in the day, everyday (not intermitent fasting) would have a negative impact on metabolism but that could be all broscience for all I know. Personnaly, I know that if I don't start eating early in the day, I'd never get all my calories in as I don't like to eat big meals later in the day.

I do believe that I've read about correlation between being overweight and not eating breakfast. Not sure whether there is causation there or not.

I don't think there is any reason to believe that waiting until 3-4pm to eat would have a negative impact on your metabolism, especially if you are getting in enough calories for the day. You'd have to completely fast for at least a few days or be in a severe deficit over time to do any damage.

The breakfast-skippers in the study who gained weight didn't gain because they skipped breakfast. They gained because they ate too many calories. It wasn't a calorie controlled study. There could be something behavioral to consider there, as skipping breakfast might not be a strategy that works for everyone.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    If you don't eat breakfast, when do you eat pancakes? And bacon? Sounds like a horrible existence. ;-)

Any time you want! :) ... well, within reason.
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options

Martin Berkham wrote on his site, Leangains, a post titled "Why Does Breakfast Make Me Hungry?". The entire article can be found here; http://www.leangains.com/2012/06/why-does-breakfast-make-me-hungry.html
  • caranais
    caranais Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm the same. I never used to eat breakfast and never had a weight problem (maybe a couple of pounds - no more). Then all the talk was that we must eat breakfast so I started, quite healthy stuff, either porridge, cereal, or wholemeal toast or poached egg etc. Lo and behold, I gradually started to gain weight that has stayed with me for years. Of course I was eating an extra meal a day when before I was maintaining my weight. I still eat breakfast sometimes, but only if I'm hungry in the morning. I now try to listen to my body and eat when I'm hungry. Not having breakfast does not lead me to snacking later, but eating breakfast definitely makes me hungry again by mid morning, and I find it more difficult to stick to my calorie allowance for the rest of that day as it seems to get my appetite and tastebuds going. Everyone is different, so I don't think the same rules apply to everyone.
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options

Sorry,I thought IM was more something you did occassionally as in 1-2 days per week as opposed ot everyday. So I guess I was thinking of "occassional" IM. I'll do a little google research to get smarter on the topic so I don't derail this thread from the original topic. Thanks for pointing out my mistake.

Intermittent Fasting is almost as broad a term as "dieting". There are many different ways to do it, but the most popular are the Leangains approach (fasting daily for 14-16 hours), the Warrior Diet (eating one huge meal per day) and The 5:2 diet (only eating 500-600 calories 2 days per week).
  • suse56
    suse56 Posts: 30
    Options
    Breakfast does nothing for your metabolism, But it is important to eat in the morning for good brain function. Does not have to be alot. Only thing that changes metabolism is MOVING!!