Eating breakfast is making me hungrier

Options

Replies

• BernardPumpkin
    Options
    me too! i try to start my eating day in tha early afternoon.
  • 2aycocks
    2aycocks Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    The whole 'breakfast is a must' thing is a myth. If you don't want to eat breakfast, then don't eat it :) I usually break my fast at 11am and that schedule works great for me.

Nope! Sorry but it's not a myth. When you eat in the morning you are "breaking the fast" from going so many hours without eating all night. When you don't eat, your metabolism is in starvation mode, which is slow, sluggish, or stopped. NOT good.

Eating breakfast starts up your metabolism again after fasting all night. Perhaps you are eating too many Carbs for breakfast and that's why you get hungry sooner. Drink a Protein shake instead. Those last me until AFTER it's lunch time.
  • 2aycocks
    2aycocks Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    If you don't eat breakfast, when do you eat pancakes? And bacon? Sounds like a horrible existence. ;-)

Awww. That's just AGGIE logic!! ha!
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    The whole 'breakfast is a must' thing is a myth. If you don't want to eat breakfast, then don't eat it :) I usually break my fast at 11am and that schedule works great for me.

Nope! Sorry but it's not a myth. When you eat in the morning you are "breaking the fast" from going so many hours without eating all night. When you don't eat, your metabolism is in starvation mode, which is slow, sluggish, or stopped. NOT good.

Eating breakfast starts up your metabolism again after fasting all night. Perhaps you are eating too many Carbs for breakfast and that's why you get hungry sooner. Drink a Protein shake instead. Those last me until AFTER it's lunch time.
    No, and LOL at starvation mode and if your metabolism stopped you would be dead.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options

No, and LOL at starvation mode and if your metabolism stopped you would be dead.

This.....
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    That's interesting. I am the total opposite! If I don't have a hearty and filling breakfast, I am snacking nonstop. Then I have a heavier lunch because I eat around noon and don't get off until 6pm most days.
  • Zilla100
    Zilla100 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    The type of stuff you eat in the morning determines whether you are going to be prematurely hungry later on.
  • jdreichel
    jdreichel Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    What you eat for breakfast is important. If you load up on carbs first thing in the morning, then you'll be starving way before lunch. If you give yourself a balanced meal with protein, fresh fruits and veggies, and some complex carbs, then you should be fine. Almost every weight loss program that has proven results suggest that you eat every 2 to 3 hours to maintain your blood suger levels. That means you should plan to have a healthly snack between your major meals and you should stop eating at least 3 to 4 hours before bedtime.
  • eric_sg61
    Options
    What you eat for breakfast is important. If you load up on carbs first thing in the morning, then you'll be starving way before lunch. If you give yourself a balanced meal with protein, fresh fruits and veggies, and some complex carbs, then you should be fine. Almost every weight loss program that has proven results suggest that you eat every 2 to 3 hours to maintain your blood suger levels. That means you should plan to have a healthly snack between your major meals and you should stop eating at least 3 to 4 hours before bedtime.
    Strong 1rd broscience post. You don't need to eat every 2 to 3 hours unless you like being hungry all day long.
  • caseyg9888
    caseyg9888 Posts: 36
    Options
    I typically eat dinner by 5:30 PM and don't snack after, so by 8:30 the next morning, I haven't eaten for 15 hours and am hungry for breakfast. I eat 3 hardboiled eggs and don't give food another thought until 2 PM or so. The protein and fat (and lack of carbs) in the eggs keeps me satiated, full of energy, and focused until mid-afternoon.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    Strong 1rd broscience post. You don't need to eat every 2 to 3 hours unless you like being hungry all day long.

He has a good imagination eh?
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I eat the tiniest breakfast possible, if I have one at all.
  • MrsPeek
    MrsPeek Posts: 12
    Options
    The same thing happened to me when I first started eating breakfast, but now (several months later) I'm fine. That might also be due to the fact that I stopped eating breakfast bars and started eating scrambled eggs. I think the protein helps.
  • DietitianAprilDawn
    Options
    Breakfast is the most important meal of the day...you are hungrier earlier cause your metabolism is getting in gear and your body wants more food. If you feel hungry before lunch have a snack like an apple and 1 tbsp. peanutbutter, a granola bar, cheese stick, When you eat more frequently, your bodys metabolism increases...If you skip breakfast, eventually your metabolism slows down and the amount you eat actually counts for a lot more cause your body is holding on to it ( starvation mode) and it will make losing weight a lot harder in the long run. Also, someone else mentioned the protein with your breakfast (eggs, peanut butter, cheese, etc), that definitely helps you not to be so hungry until the next meal. It takes a lot longer for your body to digest protein, then starch, fruits, and milk. I am always hungry 2 hours later if I just eat a bowl of cereal....so make sure to include the protein :) Also, I do not agree eliminating food groups completely from the diet is healthy, like only eating protein and fat; this can pose a potential health problem with some people, especially with diabetes (potential kidney damage). Moderation is key and seeking out ALL food groups is most beneficial in the long run :)
  • caseyg9888
    caseyg9888 Posts: 36
    Options
    Breakfast is the most important meal of the day...you are hungrier earlier cause your metabolism is getting in gear and your body wants more food. If you feel hungry before lunch have a snack like an apple and 1 tbsp. peanutbutter, a granola bar, cheese stick, When you eat more frequently, your bodys metabolism increases...If you skip breakfast, eventually your metabolism slows down and the amount you eat actually counts for a lot more cause your body is holding on to it ( starvation mode) and it will make losing weight a lot harder in the long run. Also, someone else mentioned the protein with your breakfast (eggs, peanut butter, cheese, etc), that definitely helps you not to be so hungry until the next meal. It takes a lot longer for your body to digest protein, then starch, fruits, and milk. I am always hungry 2 hours later if I just eat a bowl of cereal....so make sure to include the protein :)

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL, THANKS FOR THE LAUGH.

For the love of God, please tell me you aren't a real dietitian.
  • tinypastels
    tinypastels Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    When I was losing weight in college, my perfect breakfast was [1/2 cup greek yogurt or 1/2 cup plain oatmeal or 1 egg] AND mint tea! It was all about the warm and filling mint tea, and the mental trick that I had eaten something substantial! Then food was truly out of my mind until lunch! But I agree, breakfast usually means all day hunger for me!
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Don't eat breakfast then. No reason to.

I'd like to add I only read the OP and not a single other response.
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Is starvation mode taught in high school biology or something? Every few mins we get someone preaching it even though I don't remember a single mention of starvation mode when I learned about cell metabolism in freshman biology. Aerobic respiration, anerobic respiration, Krebs cycle, beta oxidation and such were the topics. From my recollection, not a single one ever mentioned that an increased meal frequency, increases or decreases the production of ATP.

• tinypastels
    tinypastels Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is the most important meal of the day...you are hungrier earlier cause your metabolism is getting in gear and your body wants more food. If you feel hungry before lunch have a snack like an apple and 1 tbsp. peanutbutter, a granola bar, cheese stick, When you eat more frequently, your bodys metabolism increases...If you skip breakfast, eventually your metabolism slows down and the amount you eat actually counts for a lot more cause your body is holding on to it ( starvation mode) and it will make losing weight a lot harder in the long run. Also, someone else mentioned the protein with your breakfast (eggs, peanut butter, cheese, etc), that definitely helps you not to be so hungry until the next meal. It takes a lot longer for your body to digest protein, then starch, fruits, and milk. I am always hungry 2 hours later if I just eat a bowl of cereal....so make sure to include the protein :)

wait, whats wrong with this post? obviously I didn't post it, but this is what most dietitians would say...and I know from experience... Whats so funny?
  • eric_sg61
    Options
    Breakfast is the most important meal of the day...you are hungrier earlier cause your metabolism is getting in gear and your body wants more food. If you feel hungry before lunch have a snack like an apple and 1 tbsp. peanutbutter, a granola bar, cheese stick, When you eat more frequently, your bodys metabolism increases...If you skip breakfast, eventually your metabolism slows down and the amount you eat actually counts for a lot more cause your body is holding on to it ( starvation mode) and it will make losing weight a lot harder in the long run. Also, someone else mentioned the protein with your breakfast (eggs, peanut butter, cheese, etc), that definitely helps you not to be so hungry until the next meal. It takes a lot longer for your body to digest protein, then starch, fruits, and milk. I am always hungry 2 hours later if I just eat a bowl of cereal....so make sure to include the protein :) Also, I do not agree eliminating food groups completely from the diet is healthy, like only eating protein and fat; this can pose a potential health problem with some people, especially with diabetes (potential kidney damage). Moderation is key and seeking out ALL food groups is most beneficial in the long run :)
    So much wrong with this post. Your not going to slow your metabolism by skipping breakfast. It takes DAYS, not hours to affect your metabolic rate.