Eating breakfast is making me hungrier

Options

Replies

• scapalbo
    scapalbo Posts: 19
    Options
    If you don't eat breakfast, when do you eat pancakes? And bacon? Sounds like a horrible existence. ;-)

breakfast for dinner...the best kind of supper!
  • tinypastels
    tinypastels Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is the most important meal of the day...you are hungrier earlier cause your metabolism is getting in gear and your body wants more food. If you feel hungry before lunch have a snack like an apple and 1 tbsp. peanutbutter, a granola bar, cheese stick, When you eat more frequently, your bodys metabolism increases...If you skip breakfast, eventually your metabolism slows down and the amount you eat actually counts for a lot more cause your body is holding on to it ( starvation mode) and it will make losing weight a lot harder in the long run. Also, someone else mentioned the protein with your breakfast (eggs, peanut butter, cheese, etc), that definitely helps you not to be so hungry until the next meal. It takes a lot longer for your body to digest protein, then starch, fruits, and milk. I am always hungry 2 hours later if I just eat a bowl of cereal....so make sure to include the protein :) Also, I do not agree eliminating food groups completely from the diet is healthy, like only eating protein and fat; this can pose a potential health problem with some people, especially with diabetes (potential kidney damage). Moderation is key and seeking out ALL food groups is most beneficial in the long run :)
    So much wrong with this post. Your not going to slow your metabolism by skipping breakfast. It takes DAYS, not hours to affect your metabolic rate.

oh okay. the eating breakfast and eating more frequently may not be true. I just support the protein part then haha I'll let you guys debate the rest :-)
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
  • MarJPic1
    MarJPic1 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi there, I don't know what you are eating for breakfast, but I find when I eat high protein foods (eggs & chicken) and 2 pcs of whole wheat toast with 1 tsp butter, and coffee & diet juice (4 oz) I don't really think about food until lunchtime. You might want to try using Sensa on your food in the beginning, it seems to help somewhat. I also use Garcinia Cambogia part of the time. (2 capsules about 15 to 30 minutes before you eat lunch or dinner). It helps to keep me satisfied a lot longer after these 2 meals.

The problem I have is healthwise so I can't exercise much. So I'm working on that now.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I don't know what you are eating for breakfast, but I find when I eat high protein foods (eggs & chicken) and 2 pcs of whole wheat toast with 1 tsp butter, and coffee & diet juice (4 oz) I don't really think about food until lunchtime. You might want to try using Sensa on your food in the beginning, it seems to help somewhat. I also use Garcinia Cambogia part of the time. (2 capsules about 15 to 30 minutes before you eat lunch or dinner). It helps to keep me satisfied a lot longer after these 2 meals.

The problem I have is healthwise so I can't exercise much. So I'm working on that now.

Another great 1st broscience post........is it a full moon?
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I absolutely agree! That is why it is hard for me to eat breakfast!! I would rather just have coffee!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,687 Member
    Options
    It gets your metabolism going, which is something we all want when we want to lose weight! I would still suggest eating breakfast, maybe something heavier if you can. Oatmeal, a banana and a protein?
    No metabolism was going even while one was asleep. This myth was made up by cereal companies to sell more cereal.

I don't eat breakfast.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Eating breakfast IS important and the fact that you're hungry shortly after means you didn't have enough fat/protein with your breakfast or that your metabolism has kicked in and is telling you that it NEEDS food. Food is your friend, not your enemy.
    Where's the actual data that supports this? Not a blog, article, or opinion, but peer reviewed clinical study supporting the above?

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    If you don't eat breakfast, when do you eat pancakes? And bacon? Sounds like a horrible existence. ;-)
    At 10pm at night.:laugh: Works for me!

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Everything I have read says more little meals seems to let your body release fat - I have no idea if it is true. What I can say is that I am older than most of you - and over the years I have skipped breakfast most of my life. My metabolism is crap and I work hard everyday to try to speed it up with cardio and weight training and the right macros and it is still crap. I am still looking into what else I can do to jumpstart it - but something caused this metabolic nightmare...
    If age was the issue, then my metabolism should be jacked too. Fortunately, I was consistent with my macros/micros and exercise since the beginning, so I haven't seen a big reduction in metabolism (although in my 20's I could eat a lot more than I can now).

IDEA Fitness member
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is the most important meal of the day...you are hungrier earlier cause your metabolism is getting in gear and your body wants more food. If you feel hungry before lunch have a snack like an apple and 1 tbsp. peanutbutter, a granola bar, cheese stick, When you eat more frequently, your bodys metabolism increases...If you skip breakfast, eventually your metabolism slows down and the amount you eat actually counts for a lot more cause your body is holding on to it ( starvation mode) and it will make losing weight a lot harder in the long run. Also, someone else mentioned the protein with your breakfast (eggs, peanut butter, cheese, etc), that definitely helps you not to be so hungry until the next meal. It takes a lot longer for your body to digest protein, then starch, fruits, and milk. I am always hungry 2 hours later if I just eat a bowl of cereal....so make sure to include the protein :)

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL, THANKS FOR THE LAUGH.

For the love of God, please tell me you aren't a real dietitian.

agree! just absurd that skipping breakfast causes "starvation mode" where do people get this information???
  • Zilla100
    Zilla100 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    What you eat for breakfast is important. If you load up on carbs first thing in the morning, then you'll be starving way before lunch. If you give yourself a balanced meal with protein, fresh fruits and veggies, and some complex carbs, then you should be fine.

I've found this to be absolutely true. Greek yogurt and oatmeal is dense enough and takes long enough to digest that it keeps me full for hours. And sometimes I'll throw in a hardboiled egg too. :)
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Breakfast does nothing for your metabolism, But it is important to eat in the morning for good brain function. Does not have to be alot. Only thing that changes metabolism is MOVING!!

Studies show significantly better brain function/learning and productivity amongst those who have breakfast.
    That's why there are now program's in New Zealand to fund breakfast for students from poor communities.
    Increasing protein at breakfast will reduce those earlier hunger pangs. Especially once your body gets used to having breakfast. Oh, and I you don't wake hungry, try reducing your evening consumption or eat dinner earlier.
    I believe that it's more true for children than adults since children are still growing. I'd like to see a link to the study to check it out.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    The whole 'breakfast is a must' thing is a myth. If you don't want to eat breakfast, then don't eat it :) I usually break my fast at 11am and that schedule works great for me.

Nope! Sorry but it's not a myth. When you eat in the morning you are "breaking the fast" from going so many hours without eating all night. When you don't eat, your metabolism is in starvation mode, which is slow, sluggish, or stopped. NOT good.

Eating breakfast starts up your metabolism again after fasting all night. Perhaps you are eating too many Carbs for breakfast and that's why you get hungry sooner. Drink a Protein shake instead. Those last me until AFTER it's lunch time.
    It's a myth. There's a reason why one weighs less after waking up from sleep compared to when they went to sleep.............metabolism was still working. It DOESN'T stop unless you're dead. I like to see it proven that one is alive after metabolism ceases. Heart beat and breathing are part of metabolism.
    And what if you eat at 11pm? Then eat again at 12pm? That's just over 12 hours and is NO DIFFERENT than a 6pm dinner and a 6am breakfast.
    Broscience doesn't work on this site.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    What you eat for breakfast is important. If you load up on carbs first thing in the morning, then you'll be starving way before lunch. If you give yourself a balanced meal with protein, fresh fruits and veggies, and some complex carbs, then you should be fine. Almost every weight loss program that has proven results suggest that you eat every 2 to 3 hours to maintain your blood suger levels. That means you should plan to have a healthly snack between your major meals and you should stop eating at least 3 to 4 hours before bedtime.
    All weight loss programs have one thing in common...................calorie deficit. Proven that it works regardless of plan. And the 3-4 hours before bed? Lol what if you sleep at 8pm, you stop eating at 5pm? Funny. More broscience.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Breakfast is the most important meal of the day...you are hungrier earlier cause your metabolism is getting in gear and your body wants more food. If you feel hungry before lunch have a snack like an apple and 1 tbsp. peanutbutter, a granola bar, cheese stick, When you eat more frequently, your bodys metabolism increases...If you skip breakfast, eventually your metabolism slows down and the amount you eat actually counts for a lot more cause your body is holding on to it ( starvation mode) and it will make losing weight a lot harder in the long run. Also, someone else mentioned the protein with your breakfast (eggs, peanut butter, cheese, etc), that definitely helps you not to be so hungry until the next meal. It takes a lot longer for your body to digest protein, then starch, fruits, and milk. I am always hungry 2 hours later if I just eat a bowl of cereal....so make sure to include the protein :) Also, I do not agree eliminating food groups completely from the diet is healthy, like only eating protein and fat; this can pose a potential health problem with some people, especially with diabetes (potential kidney damage). Moderation is key and seeking out ALL food groups is most beneficial in the long run :)
    Who are you licensed through?

IDEA Fitness member
  • Mrsfreedom41
    Mrsfreedom41 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I heard last week that you need to put some fuel in your body within 30 minutes of getting up. Didn't say how much or what, just feed your body something because your tummy has emptied out during your sleep and need a wake up call. I usually try to eat a banana or some other piece of fruit to get me going. BTW I get up between 6 and 7 and have breakfast usually around 9AM. I'm fine until lunch. Just thought I would pass this info. along.:drinker:
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Reading about breakfast making you hungrier is making me hungrier.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Has the same effect on me, regardless of the composition of the breakfast (for each of high carb, high protein, and high fat). If I stick with it, it eventually levels out though.