Eating breakfast is making me hungrier

Options

Replies

• mimisfat
    mimisfat Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Try eating a high protein breakfast. I eat a 1 egg, 2 white omelet with vegetables and I stay full until lunch.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I often skip breakfast when I'm losing weight as I can usually go until lunch time or so on just coffee. I'm not technically on IF as some friends are, but it helps me on some days. For me it's really just not eating if I'm not hungry.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Skipping 1+ meals tends to make people hungrier in controlled studies. But maybe some people don't have that issue.
  • DietitianAprilDawn
    Options
    From experience, being a Registered Dietitian, I have seen MANY people that skip meals and staying under their estimated calorie limit and they ARE NOT losing weight AND from calorie standpoint they clearly should losing weight. The problem is the lack of frequency in eating throughout the day. When you eat more frequently FROM ALL food groups your body has to spend time breaking these foods down (fiber, proteins, carbs, fats, etc) which burns MORE calories and is essentially speeding up metabolism up! Breakfast revs up the metabolism in the morning by causing your digestive system to work and burn MORE calories. Who wouldn't want that?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    From experience, being a Registered Dietitian, I have seen MANY people that skip meals and staying under their estimated calorie limit and they ARE NOT losing weight AND from calorie standpoint they clearly should losing weight. The problem is the lack of frequency in eating throughout the day. When you eat more frequently FROM ALL food groups your body has to spend time breaking these foods down (fiber, proteins, carbs, fats, etc) which burns MORE calories and is essentially speeding up metabolism up! Breakfast revs up the metabolism in the morning by causing your digestive system to work and burn MORE calories. Who wouldn't want that?

The only problem I have with that logic is...

...that it is completely and thoroughly debunked by readily-available rock-solid peer-reviewed research.
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options

We have another Dietition, Texas Registered, who visits the forums once in a while to answer questions and he doesn't agree with your assessment. You can refer to the link below to his section but maybe you know something that he doesn't? Could you maybe describe what part of the metabolism revs up when you eat breakfast? Does eating breakfast somehow jump start Beta Oxidation or maybe you are referring to Thermogensis?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/13105-ask-the-dietitian

Edit: After reading your statement one more time. I think you logic doesn't fit the scenario. The digestive system does require energy or calories to break down food to be used or stored as energy BUT the amount of calories that is required to digest the food is the same no matter if you eat 2k calories divided 5 times a day or 2k calories in one big meal. Is there any information that you have that would suggest that eating breakfast requires more energy to digest a calorie when compared to lunch?

• AbsoluteNG
    Options
    Okay, I found some research to what you might be referring too. I don't have access to the entire paper, just the abstract. It's the Thermogenic Effect of Food or the negative calorie diet. Deals with research on how many calories your body requires to process food. From my understanding of the abstract and other references I found off of google, your body will use 10% of the food you eat as energy to digest whatever you eat. In other words, your body isn't going to use 200 calories to burn a stick of celery if the celery stick is only 10 calories. It's going to take 10% of the calories from the celery to digest food.

Resting metabolic rate and thermogenic effect of food in vegetarian diets compared with Mediterranean diets.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10545669?dopt=Abstract
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    The whole 'breakfast is a must' thing is a myth. If you don't want to eat breakfast, then don't eat it :) I usually break my fast at 11am and that schedule works great for me.

I agree. Find a schedule that works for you. If your goal is weight loss, your calorie deficit will determine your results, not meal timing.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Diet induced thermogenesis is determined by macronutrient composition and caloric intake. It's not a function of frequency and we have multiple studies supporting this.
  • DietitianAprilDawn
    Options
    That's okay if you all don't want to agree with me...I'm not here to argue. I enjoy helping people that's why I chose what I do in my career and I was just being kind and giving advice. I don't need to prove myself to anyone on here. If you don't agree with me that is perfectly fine, this is not a debate...do what you want I don't really care that's your choice.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    That's okay if you all don't want to agree with me...I'm not here to argue. I enjoy helping people that's why I chose what I do in my career and I was just being kind and giving advice. I don't need to prove myself to anyone on here. If you don't agree with me that is perfectly fine, this is not a debate...do what you want I don't really care that's your choice.

I'm not here to argue with you either but it would certainly appear as though the majority of research points to your advice being incorrect and consequently you're advising people to potentially do things that are not necessary. This carries a risk of reducing dietary adherence in individuals who may not have a lifestyle or preferences that align well with frequent feedings.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9155494
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19943985
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11319656
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21410984
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    If you are eating something with sugar or a quick metabolizing carb, then it's probably stimulating hunger by bumping up your insulin and crashing you 2 hours later.
  • DietitianAprilDawn
    Options
    Clearly you want to argue bringing out the studies If I wanted I could go back and tell you about peer reviewed studies on the people that lost more weight that ate breakfast versus the ones that did not, but I am not wasting my time and energy no longer on this, like I said I have no reason to prove anything to anyone that is all.

I'm not here to argue with you either but it would certainly appear as though the majority of research points to your advice being incorrect and consequently you're advising people to potentially do things that are not necessary. This carries a risk of reducing dietary adherence in individuals who may not have a lifestyle or preferences that align well with frequent feedings.

• DietitianAprilDawn
    Options
    If you are eating something with sugar or a quick metabolizing carb, then it's probably stimulating hunger by bumping up your insulin and crashing you 2 hours later.

very true!
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Clearly you want to argue bringing out the studies If I wanted I could go back and tell you about peer reviewed studies on the people that lost more weight that ate breakfast versus the ones that did not, but I am not wasting my time and energy no longer on this, like I said I have no reason to prove anything to anyone that is all.

Actually, I don't want to argue, I just want to present information for the other readers so they can be properly informed. That is all.

Have a great day and good luck with your fitness goals!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

The issue is, it's incorrect advice. If you are making statements that are contrary to others' who provide peer reviewed studies, it kind if is up to you to prove it.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

And what you would find would be correlation not causation. The studies are based on ad lib eating - not the case here as the majority of people track their food.

Edited to correct typo
  • AbsoluteNG
    Options
    I know you 2 like to debate but I'm just not into that, I'm sorry... I have nothing to prove to you or him. Plenty of my clients are very successful with weight loss and have no complaints at all and that is all that matters to me.

The issue is, it's incorrect advice. If you are making statements that are contrary to others' who provide peer reviewed studies, it kind if is up to you to prove it.
    [/quote]

You keep bringing up that you are a Dietitian as your argument, which I feel is being petty. If you really didn't care so much, you wouldn't be here saying that you are a dietitian in every reply. Since you care so much about your status, I posted a link and quote below from a Dietition who has said the exact opposite from you.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/938489-intermittent-fasting
    You can eat as often or as infrequent as you wish. Make your intermittent fasting strategy work for you.

For example, I used this strategy last summer to cut 20 lbs. I skipped breakfast so I could eat more for lunch and dinner and I never felt deprived.

At the end of the day, like all nutrition plans, it comes down to creating and maintaining a deficit in a way that is manageable in your life and something you can sustain forever.

Edit: I'll agree with you that frequent meals a day does work but not because it speeds up the metabolism. It works because it makes your entire day revolve around food and constantly thinking and planning your next meal. It basically makes you more accountable for how many calories you eat but not because it "revs" up your metabolism.

• Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I know you 2 like to debate but I'm just not into that, I'm sorry... I have nothing to prove to you or him. Plenty of my clients are very successful with weight loss and have no complaints at all and that is all that matters to me.

[/quote]
    It's not that we like to debate, it's that we like to correct misinformation, especially that which can make something that is already hard for many people, namely losing weight, even harder, and unnecessarily so.

ETA: don't bother PMing again me telling me to leave it ALONE because you don't like debating. It's pretty obvious why you don't like debating.
  • COLOMomOf4
    COLOMomOf4 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm sure several other have said this - but I haven't the time to read all of the responces. Eating breakfast always made me hungrier, too. It is because it is jump-starting your metabolism. That is thoretically a good thing unless it makes you so hungry that you splurge and it defeats the purpose (has happened to me many times). What helps me is eating a HIGH PROTEIN and/or HIGH FIBER breakfast. I have been using GNC's Total Lean 25 shake (powder) - giving me 25 gram of protein to jump start my day -and I'm usually not hungry again until lunch time.

Also, avoid anything with sugar (even milk in your cereal is high in sugar). The sugar makes you hungrier quicker... protein & fiber keep you full longer.

good luck!