Eating breakfast is making me hungrier

Options

Replies

• anacsitham5
    anacsitham5 Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I don't eat immediately upon rising, I usually wait an hour, but I do eat it. I just finished reading an article in Prevention Guide on this. They say the worst breakfast is not eating one at all. Your body needs food to restore its balance after being without food for 7-8 hours. If you skip breakfast you lower your metabolism, starve your muscles and eat the bulk of your calories too late in the day. Skipping breakfast increases your risk of obesity by 450%. Eat lean protein and good fats at breakfast and it will make you feel fuller longer. Carbs will make you hungry faster so skip the cereals and bagels. They say eating eggs is a good breakfast. They said most people think a slim fast or granola bar is a good breakfast, but it's actually not. I guess it may be different for everyone. What have you been having for breakfast?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
  • beckyboop712
    beckyboop712 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I drink a glass of milk in the morning and I'm fine. For some reason if I add in cereal, toast or anything bready, I'm starving until I eat lunch. Figure that one out!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    NOT eating breakfast so that you WONT be hungry is NOT normal behaviour. At all.
    Neither is forcing yourself to eat when you're not hungry. The issue I think that people have is that they categorize their meals. Breakfast, lunch, dinner are just denotations of meals based on times eaten. If a person ate their correct amount of calories regardless of how many meals they want to achieve it in, then that's the right track.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Yep. Also, I am not sure where the 'NOT normal behavior' is from. Breakfast (as in the early morning) is a relatively recent phenomenon.
  • candacefausset
    candacefausset Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Eat breakfast

Mayo Clinic has the most credibility on this thread.

<<<Why does eating a healthy breakfast help control weight?>>> http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/food-and-nutrition/AN01119

<<<If you skimp on breakfast, you'll miss out on important health benefits. >>> http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/food-and-nutrition/NU00197

While I vote for doing whatever makes you comfortable, the links you posted do not prove one way or another that breakfast has to be eaten. Every single item listed as a benefit says "It may" which means it may not also. No proof, just an idea.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    NOT eating breakfast so that you WONT be hungry is NOT normal behaviour. At all.
    Neither is forcing yourself to eat when you're not hungry. The issue I think that people have is that they categorize their meals. Breakfast, lunch, dinner are just denotations of meals based on times eaten. If a person ate their correct amount of calories regardless of how many meals they want to achieve it in, then that's the right track.

IDEA Fitness member

Yep. Also, I am not sure where the 'NOT normal behavior' is from. Breakfast (as in the early morning) is a relatively recent phenomenon.

Not normal refers to not eating in order to prevent yourself from becoming hungry. I'm not saying not eating as soon as you get up isn't normal, but I AM saying that if you skip a meal in order to make you LESS hungry and take in less calories overall, that is disordered thinking.
  • jqh23
    jqh23 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I posted about this last week. People recommended I eliminate sugar and carbs from that meal and it might eliminate that hunger.

I try to wait as long as I can to eat in the morning because it's like it triggers my hunger for the day. Once I start eating, I usually have to have something every 3ish hours.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Not normal refers to not eating in order to prevent yourself from becoming hungry. I'm not saying not eating as soon as you get up isn't normal, but I AM saying that if you skip a meal in order to make you LESS hungry and take in less calories overall, that is disordered thinking.

I am not getting that logic..at all. It is a tool to use...that is all, like drinking more water to stave off hunger to allow you to meet your target.
  • amy1612
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

I am not getting that logic..at all. It is a tool to use...that is all, like drinking more water to stave off hunger to allow you to meet your target.

I get what you're saying, but my point is, if you are GENUINELY hungry, then feed your body. There's a difference between being flexible with your meals whilst taking in adequate calories and not eating or drinking water instead of eating food in order to lose weight quicker. I don't think people should be drinking water instead of eating a meal.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is why would you view being genuinely hungry as your body doing something maladaptive. If you are hungry, eat some food. If you aren't hungry don't. But don't purposefully try and prevent your body from being hungry by NOT eating.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

I get what you're saying, but my point is, if you are GENUINELY hungry, then feed your body. There's a difference between being flexible with your meals whilst taking in adequate calories and not eating or drinking water instead of eating food in order to lose weight quicker. I don't think people should be drinking water instead of eating a meal.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is why would you view being genuinely hungry as your body doing something maladaptive. If you are hungry, eat some food. If you aren't hungry don't. But don't purposefully try and prevent your body from being hungry by NOT eating.

Got it - I would not say that it is disordered thinking, but I would suggest that it may not be the best thing to do for the individual. These discussions often get off point a little bit - at the end of the day, if eating breakfast makes it easier to adhere to your diet (and being hungry if you do not would make adherence harder imo) than eat breakfast. If it makes it easier to adhere to by not eating breakfast, especially if not hungry, then don't eat breakfast.

Although, this does need to be tempered with the fact, on calorie restricted diet, people will get hungry from time to time - it's just the nature of dieting.
  • amy1612
    Options

Got it - I would not say that it is disordered thinking, but I would suggest that it may not be the best thing to do for the individual. These discussions often get off point a little bit - at the end of the day, if eating breakfast makes it easier to adhere to your diet (and being hungry if you do not would make adherence harder imo) than eat breakfast. If it makes it easier to adhere to by not eating breakfast, especially if not hungry, then don't eat breakfast.

Although, this does need to be tempered with the fact, on calorie restricted diet, people will get hungry from time to time - it's just the nature of dieting.

True dat :smile: Glad I made my point in a way that finally made sense,lol.
  • kathymhardy
    kathymhardy Posts: 266 Member
    Options

I try to wait as long as I can to eat in the morning because it's like it triggers my hunger for the day. Once I start eating, I usually have to have something every 3ish hours.

Same here
  • sarahanncarson
    sarahanncarson Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Great topic! I had no idea that this was common. I've been trying to force myself to eat and then I struggle throughout the day with a crazy appetite. I start eating my lunch around 11. I say start because I eat something around 11 and then something around 2 and then I eat dinner. This works for me. This is great! I don't feel crazy!
  • GreenChile3
    GreenChile3 Posts: 65
    Options
    I just wait until I'm hungry, whether that's at 7am or 11am. Everyone is different.
  • LindseySprake
    LindseySprake Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    The whole 'breakfast is a must' thing is a myth. If you don't want to eat breakfast, then don't eat it :)

^^^this^^^
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Eat breakfast

<<<Why does eating a healthy breakfast help control weight?>>> http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/food-and-nutrition/AN01119

<<<If you skimp on breakfast, you'll miss out on important health benefits. >>> http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/food-and-nutrition/NU00197

While I vote for doing whatever makes you comfortable, the links you posted do not prove one way or another that breakfast has to be eaten. Every single item listed as a benefit says "It may" which means it may not also. No proof, just an idea.

#1 Texas booted Oklahoma from the great state & yall have never been right since.
    #2 Youre from Oklahoma, so your credibility is suspect. (Im being kind here)
    #3 If you dont eat breakfast your brain cant function at its highest capacity. (and you being from Ok makes this double jeopardy) So go eat and re-read the links I posted.
    #3 Shaddup, eat your breakfast and stop trying to get out of it.
    #4 Dont twist off, Im only funning ya.
    #5 Hook em horns.
  • candacefausset
    candacefausset Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Eat breakfast

#1 Texas booted Oklahoma from the great state & yall have never been right since.
    #3 If you dont eat breakfast your brain cant function at its highest capacity. (and you being from Ok makes this double jeopardy) So go eat and re-read the links I posted.
    #5 Hook em horns.

lol, you might have got my husband over this (he hates TX) but I have no sense of rivalry what so ever. In fact I tried to convince him into moving there. I went for an esthetics convention a couple years ago and loved it! Burn denied lol
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Eat breakfast

#5 Hook em horns.

lol, you might have got my husband over this (he hates TX) but I have no sense of rivalry what so ever. In fact I tried to convince him into moving there. I went for an esthetics convention a couple years ago and loved it! Burn denied lol

Well damn,. LOL

I was hoping you had a good sense of humor. I often work in OK and have a ball. Thanks for playing.
  • DietitianAprilDawn
    Options
    I do agree in some cases that if you skip a meal that it may help you with weight loss yes, however ONLY IF you are staying within your calorie range; but a lot of people end up eatting a lot more and potentially out of their calorie range if they do because they end up hungrier. This weight loss technique may not be good with some people with certain health conditions or prone to certain health conditions, such as Type 2 diabetes. When someone is diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes and I see them the first time, about 90 - 95% of the time they are skipping meals. The longer one with Type2 Diabetes waits to eat, the more the body will start putting off more sugar from the liver. Since people with Type 2 diabetes insulin generally isn't working properly and insulin is what brings down the blood sugar, this can send their blood sugar at dangerous levels. Also, people with hypoglycemia shouldn't be skipping meals neither as they should eat more frequently to make sure the blood sugar stays within range. Some studies show that Generally speaking YES it can help with weight loss AND YES from some of the studies i have seen calories in calories out is the balance no matter when it is eatten througout the day and can cause weight loss, but it can have some serious health consequences if not ALL aspects of this lifestyle is foreseen before saying its okay for someone to continue this behavior.
    Please look at the below studies:

http://imr.sagepub.com/content/36/4/613.full.pdf+html
    http://jn.nutrition.org/content/141/1/144.full
    http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0091743511003367
    http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/81/2/388.short
    http://www.nature.com/ijo/journal/v31/n4/full/0803456a.html (This study they eliminated anyone on medically related diets )
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I do agree in some cases that if you skip a meal that it may help you with weight loss yes, however ONLY IF you are staying within your calorie range; but a lot of people end up eatting a lot more and potentially out of their calorie range if they do because they end up hungrier. This weight loss technique may not be good with some people with certain health conditions or prone to certain health conditions, such as Type 2 diabetes. When someone is diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes and I see them the first time, about 90 - 95% of the time they are skipping meals. The longer one with Type2 Diabetes waits to eat, the more the body will start putting off more sugar from the liver. Since people with Type 2 diabetes insulin generally isn't working properly and insulin is what brings down the blood sugar, this can send their blood sugar at dangerous levels. Also, people with hypoglycemia shouldn't be skipping meals neither as they should eat more frequently to make sure the blood sugar stays within range. Some studies show that Generally speaking YES it can help with weight loss AND YES from some of the studies i have seen calories in calories out is the balance no matter when it is eatten througout the day and can cause weight loss, but it can have some serious health consequences if not ALL aspects of this lifestyle is foreseen before saying its okay for someone to continue this behavior.
    Please look at the below studies:

http://imr.sagepub.com/content/36/4/613.full.pdf+html
    http://jn.nutrition.org/content/141/1/144.full
    http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0091743511003367
    http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/81/2/388.short
    http://www.nature.com/ijo/journal/v31/n4/full/0803456a.html (This study they eliminated anyone on medically related diets )

^^this is completely different to the assertion you so adamantly made earlier. Someone with diabetes has a specific medical issue.