Concealed Carry: good or bad idea

Options

Replies

• Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    I carry when I go running in the morning. I was followed by a coyote ones and refuse to feel that scared ever again. And as far as feeling safer knowing that only police and military carry guns....I believe we had a mass murderer here in the states that was also a police officer....just sayin.
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    The only thing to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun. I'm armed, educated and proud.

I just don't understand this mentality. :noway:
    Unarmed, educated and proud.
  • greenmonstergirl
    greenmonstergirl Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    I have it and love it. Glad that there is a background check as not everyone should have it!
  • pamla77
    pamla77 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    My husband and i have our permits and hope to never have a need to act. We are also teaching our son and daughter how to be responsible gun owners. Criminals will get weapons and use them regardless of any gun laws. I have the right to defend myself and my family so why would i choose not to? Thats my stand on the issue. :)
  • asl1028
    asl1028 Posts: 1
    Options
    GREAT idea.
  • greenmonstergirl
    greenmonstergirl Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    Since 1986, several states have enacted some form of Concealed Carry legislation.
    I have not researched studies citing whether this legislation has had a significant impact on violent crime in the US.
    I have briefly perused a few studies regarding the effect of gun control on "justified" murders in Britain.
    In light of the recent murder in Britain and the lament of lack of a legally armed citizen to shoot this barbarian, what do you think?

6oz8nc.gif

Chicago has the worst crime rate and the only state left (not for long) to NOT have conceal carry. Things that make you go hmmmmm
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    I live in Florida. I've never known a world without concealed carry.
    We're also home to the nation's most idiotic or horrific crimes and the Stand Your Ground law where I could literally shoot you from my car's front seat if you began to approach me, and I stand a good chance at getting away with it.

So - I'm not 100% sure how I feel about it.
  • PBsMommy
    PBsMommy Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Brb never going to America, wouldn't be able to trust anyone.

Its not the ones legally carrying that you can't trust....its all of those that carry illegally, or who "legally" cannot carry, but do anyway.

Said it before I did. I know a pastor of a full gospel church that carries. Wouldn't trust anyone else more with my life.

I have a concealed carry permit. So do a lot of others in my family. However, I also now how my gun works and target shoot quite often. I think it should be a little "tougher" to get a permit in our state, such as proving you actually know how to use a gun.
  • _Countryboy_
    Options
    The only thing to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun. I'm armed, educated and proud.

^-potential victim. Muggers take note.
  • Lovdiamnd
    Lovdiamnd Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    IT'S ALWAYS A GOOD IDEA! Why is this even a question? lol
  • cmpollard01
    cmpollard01 Posts: 246
    Options
    I am a law abiding citizen, in the process of getting my CCW Permit. I live in VA and have been around firearms my whole life-I respect the power they contain when in human hands. A gun by itself will not harm anyone.

I currently live in a neighborhood where drug dealers and users are frequent visitors. They do not hide their activities, and on more than one occasion in 4 years, i have had some form of a run-in with multiple neighbors involved in this activity. Let them, just once, try to come into my house and harm my family for reporting their activity. I have EVERY right under the US Constitution to defend myself, my family, and the freedoms of both.

I don't worry about law abiding citizens with concealed permits. I worry about criminals that could care less about laws of any kind.
  • SexyDexie
    SexyDexie Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I come from a country with extremely restricted gun rights. Only 4 people in the country can issue gun permits:

1. The Prime Minister
    2. The President
    3. The Minister of National Security
    4. The Police Commissioner

Criminals have full auto weapons. People wish they could protect themselves from this scourge
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    I live in Florida. I've never known a world without concealed carry.
    We're also home to the nation's most idiotic or horrific crimes and the Stand Your Ground law where I could literally shoot you from my car's front seat if you began to approach me, and I stand a good chance at getting away with it.

So - I'm not 100% sure how I feel about it.

Also from Florida. While the stand your ground law does do SOME good, I think there are some kinds of "loopholes" like the one you mentioned that are ridiculous. If there were a way to fix that law without restricting it too much I think it would be great, but I agree with you, not sure how I feel about it as it stands.

Also, are you aware that among gun lovers in other states, FL is referred to as "the gunshine state"? I thought it was kinda funny, never knew it til I moved out of state though.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    Be careful with the concealed license. The license is good for the following reasons: 1. Purchase guns without waiting list. 2. Once you have a right the state cannot take it away. 3. It grants reciprocal rights in 42 states as of today.

For example, in Florida, anyone without a license can buy a gun, or have a gun locked in the car or in a gun bag. The license allows the user to carry the gun in a pocket or on the person. No one can open carry.

The penalties for messing up are severe-2 years in jail-no exceptions. Know where you can and cannot carry- i.e. no government buildings, which are numerous- post office, ..... etc.

Every state has different rules.
    Since 1986, several states have enacted some form of Concealed Carry legislation.
    I have not researched studies citing whether this legislation has had a significant impact on violent crime in the US.
    I have briefly perused a few studies regarding the effect of gun control on "justified" murders in Britain.
    In light of the recent murder in Britain and the lament of lack of a legally armed citizen to shoot this barbarian, what do you think?

6oz8nc.gif

Yes, why I said "some form of legislation" but thank you for the clarification.
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options

Its not the ones legally carrying that you can't trust....its all of those that carry illegally, or who "legally" cannot carry, but do anyway.

Really? Because I'm not too concerned with thugs that shoot each other (I know innocent victims to get hit sometimes but it is rare) But I have heard of PLENTY of mass murders where legal registered weapons were used, or even accidental shootings where the "responsible" gun own left their loaded weapon within arms reach of a 4 year old.....

ETA most home invasions the occupants never have the chance to get their gun out of the locked gun case, then loaded, and ready to be shot. Most trained individuals cannot easily hit a moving target, so even if someone had been armed during the mass shootings the outcome would not have been much different, not to mention once the police show up and realize you have multiple people with weapons drawn...well...you are just asking for trouble at that point.

Statistics have proven my children are much safer in my home without a gun than they are with one.
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options

You also have to worry about the ones who can legally carry, but aren't competent with a gun. Requirements differ by state and just because you got the permit doesn't mean you know what you're doing or will exercise good judgment.
  • _Countryboy_
    Options
    Wisconsin1.jpg
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options

Really? Because I'm not too concerned with thugs that shoot each other (I know innocent victims to get hit sometimes but it is rare) But I have heard of PLENTY of mass murders where legal registered weapons were used, or even accidental shootings where the "responsible" gun own left their loaded weapon within arms reach of a 4 year old.....

ETA most home invasions the occupants never have the chance to get their gun out of the locked gun case, then loaded, and ready to be shot. Most trained individuals cannot easily hit a moving target, so even if someone had been armed during the mass shootings the outcome would not have been much different, not to mention once the police show up and realize you have multiple people with weapons drawn...well...you are just asking for trouble at that point.

Responsible gun owners do not do that. A few irresponsible ones make the majority of us look bad. I would like to know where you get that information about the home invasions, because a lot of people I know do not keep the firearm they use for home defense under lock and key. I personally keep mine on my dresser, with the safety on, with a full mag and one in the chamber. It would take me literally seconds to be prepared.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options

^-potential victim. Muggers take note.

^ LOLOLOL!!!!! Agreed!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options

You also have to worry about the ones who can legally carry, but aren't competent with a gun. Requirements differ by state and just because you got the permit doesn't mean you know what you're doing or will exercise good judgment.

I am more worried about idiots that carry guns, legally or illegally. I know more idiots that legally have them personally.
This discussion has been closed.