Concealed Carry: good or bad idea

Options

Replies

• moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Also, I find that most of the anti-gun people I have met are only anti gun because they are uneducated in the subject. It seems that for a few of the responders, that is the case here as well.

Ding ding ding.
  • VeganSurfer
    VeganSurfer Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    The media doesn't scare me enough for me to want to own a gun...
  • ncl1313
    ncl1313 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

ETA most home invasions the occupants never have the chance to get their gun out of the locked gun case, then loaded, and ready to be shot. Most trained individuals cannot easily hit a moving target, so even if someone had been armed during the mass shootings the outcome would not have been much different, not to mention once the police show up and realize you have multiple people with weapons drawn...well...you are just asking for trouble at that point.

Statistics have proven my children are much safer in my home without a gun than they are with one.
    [/quote]

What kind of idiot stores an unloaded gun for protection? No one I know. I can have my gun in my hand and ready to shoot in 3 seconds from where I sleep.
    [/quote]
    [/quote]

The two of you have touched on the one of my main concerns in the gun debate. If you have children, or others in your home besides yourself, how can you have a gun ready to shoot in 3 seconds, but still think you are being "safe" or "responsible"? What if you're sleeping and your toddler wanders in your bedroom and grabs your gun and shoots his/herself before you even know what's happening? Or your depressed teen knows it's there, takes it during the night and goes to school the next day and shoots a bunch of classmates? Or you, while you're sleeping? I'm sorry, but I don't see how having a gun lying around loaded is safe for anyone. Either the gun is unloaded and locked up and "safe" but useless in a surprise situation, or it's loaded and accessible, "unsafe", but ready to use.
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    Concealed carry is a great idea. I personally think anyone with the permit should be able to carry in "no gun" zones as well. To me ,those are a terrible idea to begin with...what an invitation for someone to go in and shoot a bunch of people with little resistance :/

yesssss!!!!!!!!!!
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    The thing about concealed carry is, it levels the playing field. Would-be criminals and those who wish to do harm with a firearm aren't likely going to be toting it around in plain sight for all to see. With concealed carry available, those criminals also do not know who else may have a weapon on them. It is no coincidence that states with concealed carry permits have a lower rate of gun violence, whereas cities (think Chicago and DC) which have gun bans (open or concealed carry) have rather high rates of crime. If criminals obeyed the law, they wouldn't be criminals!
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    I have my CCP and I do carry.
    I feel safer knowing that, if needed, I can defend myself or someone else being assaulted.
    Crime can happen to anyone at any time so, as a result, I want to be prepared.
    I wear a seatbelt but, I don't plan on crashing my car. I wear it just in case I DO crash my car.
    My pistol is no different then a seatbelt really.

My wife does NOT have a CCP however, we have a handgun in the house and it is in a safe with a bio scanner. It can be opened in about a half a second.

Just curious, does you wife know how to use a gun?
    I shot a gun for the first time last summer.
    My father-in-law wants to give us his guns before he passes away.
    Not sure how I feel about me or my daughter (9) being trained/taking a gun safety class etc.
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I have a concealed carry permit, and support it fully. I truly hope I never have to use a weapon against another human being...but if it comes down to me, or some thug trying to turn me into fertilizer, well, you know. When I was 8 years old, I saved my mom and little sister from at least getting raped...and probably worse than that because I was able to get to my dad's gun and convince a couple guys that I would use it. If not for that gun my whole life would have been destroyed.
    ^^^This exactly^^^ Granted, I was 27 rather than 8, but after my divorce, I got my carry permit. I have two large dogs at home as my first line of defense and to buy me the precious seconds needed to get to one of my guns, but if someone gets past them, I'll be ready for them. I hope to never have to use one of my firearms, but I'm prepared to do so if absolutely necessary.
  • berriboobear
    berriboobear Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    The only thing to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun. I'm armed, educated and proud.

I just don't understand this mentality. :noway:
    Unarmed, educated and proud.

THIS
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I don't think the death of a UK soldier gives ANYONE the right to discuss US concealed weapons laws. And how disrespectful that this is in the chit chat fun and games section
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Concealed carry is a great idea. I personally think anyone with the permit should be able to carry in "no gun" zones as well. To me ,those are a terrible idea to begin with...what an invitation for someone to go in and shoot a bunch of people with little resistance :/

Here in KY the only "no gun" zones are schools, govt buildings. The signs on restaurants, theatre, etc don't mean anything other than it's against their policy. They can make you leave but no law has been broken. So I carry anywhere that it isn't physically illegal or to my job, which would get me fired, so it's obvious why I don't carry there.
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    The thing about concealed carry is, it levels the playing field. Would-be criminals and those who wish to do harm with a firearm aren't likely going to be toting it around in plain sight for all to see. With concealed carry available, those criminals also do not know who else may have a weapon on them. It is no coincidence that states with concealed carry permits have a lower rate of gun violence, whereas cities (think Chicago and DC) which have gun bans (open or concealed carry) have rather high rates of crime. If criminals obeyed the law, they wouldn't be criminals!

How many americans own guns? I dont think it stops anything/anyone
  • jagh09
    jagh09 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    71io05.jpg

1z7zmt.jpg

Focus on health and fitness folks.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Well, maybe you would have:
    One injured, scared, but ALIVE Soldier
    multiple dead or injured assailants
    shaken up bystanders.

By the way, why were so many people just standing around watching?
    the probability that, taken by surprise, 2:1, the soldier would have managed that... i think that scenario is a little optomistic.

perhaps the men fired no shots at the people watching because they knew those people were unarmed and thus posed absolutely no threat.
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options

I shot a gun for the first time last summer.
    My father-in-law wants to give us his guns before he passes away.
    Not sure how I feel about me or my daughter (9) being trained/taking a gun safety class etc.
    If there will be guns in the house, as a Range Safety Officer, I highly recommend everyone in the house who is capable of holding the gun, to be trained AT THE VERY LEAST in the safety of the weapon - how to check to be sure it unloaded and how to hold it and unload it in case it is not....EVERYONE.
  • BflSaberfan
    Options

ETA most home invasions the occupants never have the chance to get their gun out of the locked gun case, then loaded, and ready to be shot. Most trained individuals cannot easily hit a moving target, so even if someone had been armed during the mass shootings the outcome would not have been much different, not to mention once the police show up and realize you have multiple people with weapons drawn...well...you are just asking for trouble at that point.

Statistics have proven my children are much safer in my home without a gun than they are with one.
    [/quote]

What kind of idiot stores an unloaded gun for protection? No one I know. I can have my gun in my hand and ready to shoot in 3 seconds from where I sleep.
    [/quote]
    [/quote]

I could never keep a loaded gun with easy access in my home as i do have children.
  • ElyseL1
    ElyseL1 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I have a concealed carry permit, and support it fully. I truly hope I never have to use a weapon against another human being...but if it comes down to me, or some thug trying to turn me into fertilizer, well, you know. When I was 8 years old, I saved my mom and little sister from at least getting raped...and probably worse than that because I was able to get to my dad's gun and convince a couple guys that I would use it. If not for that gun my whole life would have been destroyed.

and this is why i plan on teaching my children how to use a gun responsibly. you never know when it be a useful skill.
  • Scott2ndGradeTeacher
    Scott2ndGradeTeacher Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    If we could just get the criminals to obey the gun (and knife) laws, we wouldn't need CCP's.

I respect the police, but it is ultimately my responsibility to protect my family and also make sure they are well trained in firearm use and safety.

CCP Holder
    Lock and Load
    Aim Center Mass
  • ZealousMissJJ
    ZealousMissJJ Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    71io05.jpg

1z7zmt.jpg

Focus on health and fitness folks.

Thank you!!

To add: On days like this I'm glad I don't live in the US.
  • BflSaberfan
    Options
    If we could just get the criminals to obey the gun (and knife) laws, we wouldn't need CCP's.

I respect the police, but it is ultimately my responsibility to protect my family and also make sure they are well trained in firearm use and safety.

CCP Holder
    Lock and Load
    Aim Center Mass

Pssst criminals dont obey laws. Should we just get rid of them?
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Having read the thread in full there seems to be one overriding conclusion:

If everyone around you has the right to own a gun, you feel you need a gun to feel safe.

If nobody around you has the right to own a gun, you don't feel you need a gun to feel safe.

Make of that what you will.
This discussion has been closed.