Concealed Carry: good or bad idea

Options

Replies

• BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    Wisconsin1.jpg

Photoshops dont really prove anything other than someone's great ability to make up things lol
  • jayce54321
    jayce54321 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I live in Florida. I've never known a world without concealed carry.
    We're also home to the nation's most idiotic or horrific crimes and the Stand Your Ground law where I could literally shoot you from my car's front seat if you began to approach me, and I stand a good chance at getting away with it.

So - I'm not 100% sure how I feel about it.

The University of Texas did a study on the 36(?) states that have Stand Your Ground laws. Over the last 10 years, death by gun has gone up in each of those states. Justifiable homicide rates have not risen and the biggest increase in death by gun rates was middle aged white men. Concealed carry is a bad idea. If you want to carry a gun, wear it in the open for all to see.
  • cmpollard01
    cmpollard01 Posts: 246
    Options
    Brb never going to America, wouldn't be able to trust anyone.

Its not the ones legally carrying that you can't trust....its all of those that carry illegally, or who "legally" cannot carry, but do anyway.

Really? Because I'm not too concerned with thugs that shoot each other (I know innocent victims to get hit sometimes but it is rare) But I have heard of PLENTY of mass murders where legal registered weapons were used, or even accidental shootings where the "responsible" gun own left their loaded weapon within arms reach of a 4 year old.....

ETA most home invasions the occupants never have the chance to get their gun out of the locked gun case, then loaded, and ready to be shot. Most trained individuals cannot easily hit a moving target, so even if someone had been armed during the mass shootings the outcome would not have been much different, not to mention once the police show up and realize you have multiple people with weapons drawn...well...you are just asking for trouble at that point.

Statistics have proven my children are much safer in my home without a gun than they are with one.

Just like criminals figure out how to counterfeit bills everytime the US Treasury gets a wild hair and changes them, criminals will find ways to get their hands on legally purchased firearms.

An no "responsible" gun owner will leave a firearm where anyone not allowed to handle it can get to it. I do not have children and I live alone-mine is still kept out of site, and while it's always a remote possibility, it most likely wouldn't be found in a robbery. Part of gun safety is exactly that-safety. There are never accidents with firearms- it's generally some form of irresponsibility.
  • BflSaberfan
    Options

Its not the ones legally carrying that you can't trust....its all of those that carry illegally, or who "legally" cannot carry, but do anyway.

Really? Because I'm not too concerned with thugs that shoot each other (I know innocent victims to get hit sometimes but it is rare) But I have heard of PLENTY of mass murders where legal registered weapons were used, or even accidental shootings where the "responsible" gun own left their loaded weapon within arms reach of a 4 year old.....

ETA most home invasions the occupants never have the chance to get their gun out of the locked gun case, then loaded, and ready to be shot. Most trained individuals cannot easily hit a moving target, so even if someone had been armed during the mass shootings the outcome would not have been much different, not to mention once the police show up and realize you have multiple people with weapons drawn...well...you are just asking for trouble at that point.

Responsible gun owners do not do that. A few irresponsible ones make the majority of us look bad. I would like to know where you get that information about the home invasions, because a lot of people I know do not keep the firearm they use for home defense under lock and key. I personally keep mine on my dresser, with the safety on, with a full mag and one in the chamber. It would take me literally seconds to be prepared.

Sooooo in other words, anyone could easily have access to that loaded gun, incuding someone that robbedyour house, a child, a crazy neighbor, mentally ill family member etc.
  • luly727
    luly727 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Touchy subject BUT, I am originally from FL, and now transplanted to Illinois :( Not happily I might add. All this gun control IMO is NOT going to lower crimes. Every morning I turn on the news and more and more killings and shooting in Chicago and even extending into the "nice" areas surrounding..UGHHH And Illinois is one of the states that is pushing soooo hard for gun control :( Criminals will always be able to buy illegally, so IMO why are they restricting the law abiding citizens their rights to arm themselves and use it for their protection??
    I am legal to own a gun in Illinois, not the next step is getting Illinois off the BS and pass Carry Conceal ..
    NOOOO I have never shot anyone, BUT if it comes to protecting myself or my family , I will do what ever it takes..
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    ETA most home invasions the occupants never have the chance to get their gun out of the locked gun case, then loaded, and ready to be shot.

All it really takes is the cycling sound of a shot gun and I bet you 9 times out of 10 the intruder is hauling buns out of there. Better to have some change to fight on an even playing field then none at all, right?
  • BflSaberfan
    Options

Statistics have proven my children are much safer in my home without a gun than they are with one.

Just like criminals figure out how to counterfeit bills everytime the US Treasury gets a wild hair and changes them, criminals will find ways to get their hands on legally purchased firearms.

An no "responsible" gun owner will leave a firearm where anyone not allowed to handle it can get to it. I do not have children and I live alone-mine is still kept out of site, and while it's always a remote possibility, it most likely wouldn't be found in a robbery. Part of gun safety is exactly that-safety. There are never accidents with firearms- it's generally some form of irresponsibility.

Alot of criminals get their weapons from people that buy them at gun shows. A "responsible" gun owner 2 posts above just told me he keeps his gun loaded in his unlocked dresser...
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options

Many children have been shot and killed in gunfights in our city, some while sleeping their beds.
    My husband is a paramedic for the fire department and sees the slaughter of these innocents far too often.
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    I live in Florida. I've never known a world without concealed carry.
    We're also home to the nation's most idiotic or horrific crimes and the Stand Your Ground law where I could literally shoot you from my car's front seat if you began to approach me, and I stand a good chance at getting away with it.

So - I'm not 100% sure how I feel about it.

The University of Texas did a study on the 36(?) states that have Stand Your Ground laws. Over the last 10 years, death by gun has gone up in each of those states. Justifiable homicide rates have not risen and the biggest increase in death by gun rates was middle aged white men. Concealed carry is a bad idea. If you want to carry a gun, wear it in the open for all to see.

Concealed carry has nothing to do with the Stand Your Ground laws in this instance. Those statistics are because of the law itself being too lax, not because of being able to actually carry.

Though, when I move, the state I'm going to does not require a permit to carry, concealed or otherwise. I'll personally probably conceal though, just a personal preference.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Since 1986, several states have enacted some form of Concealed Carry legislation.
    I have not researched studies citing whether this legislation has had a significant impact on violent crime in the US.
    I have briefly perused a few studies regarding the effect of gun control on "justified" murders in Britain.
    In light of the recent murder in Britain and the lament of lack of a legally armed citizen to shoot this barbarian, what do you think?
    as a brit, i like our gun laws exactly how they are.

one man was killed, no bystanders were injured, the cops caught the perps.
    i'm not sure how a firefight with citizens in the middle of the street could have improved the outcome.
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I personally would rather live in a country that has some recourse if my government is tyrannical, or becomes that way.
  • DalekBrittany
    Options

Alot of criminals get their weapons from people that buy them at gun shows. A "responsible" gun owner 2 posts above just told me he keeps his gun loaded in his unlocked dresser...

Actually, I'm quite clearly a woman. I am a responsible gun owner, would love to hear why me keeping it in a readily available to me is irresponsible, rather than you talking about my response with someone other than me.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

Yes, to clarify my question:
    what has a greater impact on decreasing violent crime:
    -- gun control as in Britian?
    -- concealed carry as in the US?

I'm all for concealed carry and I do...that said, it is exceedingly rare that good guys with guns stop the bad guys with guns. I don't think either really decreases the volume of violent crime.
  • DalekBrittany
    Options

Responsible gun owners do not do that. A few irresponsible ones make the majority of us look bad. I would like to know where you get that information about the home invasions, because a lot of people I know do not keep the firearm they use for home defense under lock and key. I personally keep mine on my dresser, with the safety on, with a full mag and one in the chamber. It would take me literally seconds to be prepared.

Sooooo in other words, anyone could easily have access to that loaded gun, incuding someone that robbedyour house, a child, a crazy neighbor, mentally ill family member etc.

No. It gets taken with us when we are not home, because it is the one my fiance carries. If someone robs my house when I am not home, they will not find it, because it will not be there. If someone comes into my home when I am home, since I am upstairs and the stairs are quite noisy, I would hear them. At night it is kept in a different place closer to me. I don't leave my gun out when we have children over. It is kept in its case without one in the chamber and put where no child could reach, along with me having a ban on my room, and since I'm the one baby sitting, I know where they go. A crazy neighbor would have to break in first, because I do not let my neighbors into my home. So that applies to the robber aspect. I do not have any mentally ill family members, and if I did, it would be under lock and key.

There is a difference between having is accessible to you and having it accessible to everyone.
  • BflSaberfan
    Options
    ETA most home invasions the occupants never have the chance to get their gun out of the locked gun case, then loaded, and ready to be shot.

All it really takes is the cycling sound of a shot gun and I bet you 9 times out of 10 the intruder is hauling buns out of there. Better to have some change to fight on an even playing field then none at all, right?

Okay but where would you aim the gun to shoot it? People have shot their own family members mistakenly thinking they were being robbed. i am not saying people shouldn't own guns, or that we shouldn't defend our right to own them. Plenty of my family members do own them and do keep them in gun safes, and only use them for hunting...but when I hear about gun owners keeping their guns loaded in an unlocked dresser I really have to wonder how competent they are.
  • TwinkieDong
    TwinkieDong Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options

biased data, opinion based ideas, and slippery sloped fallacies going on here.

all of the examples you use are the exception not the norm. The bias media reports very ignorantly towards this issue. Not sure what rock you came out from under but I grew up in the streets of Los Angeles and lived in NY. The gang on gang violence more often than not has innocent victims.

with all this stated I am a gun owner, a CCW holder, and have advanced training/tactics. Education, responsibility, common sense goes a long way.

btw: there are more deaths from swimming pools, hammers, prescription drugs, hospital mix-ups, etc.
  • DalekBrittany
    Options

Okay but where would you aim the gun to shoot it? People have shot their own family members mistakenly thinking they were being robbed. i am not saying people shouldn't own guns, or that we shouldn't defend our right to own them. Plenty of my family members do own them and do keep them in gun safes, and only use them for hunting...but when I hear about gun owners keeping their guns loaded in an unlocked dresser I really have to wonder how competent they are.

Again with the cute little remarks. Please read my response to you before you go around calling others incompetent. Makes you look foolish :flowerforyou:
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options

Yes, to clarify my question:
    what has a greater impact on decreasing violent crime:
    -- gun control as in Britian?
    -- concealed carry as in the US?

I'm all for concealed carry and I do...that said, it is exceedingly rare that good guys with guns stop the bad guys with guns. I don't think either really decreases the volume of violent crime.

Mr. two eggs! It only took three pages, but you answered my question- lol!
  • DalekBrittany
    Options
    Also, I find that most of the anti-gun people I have met are only anti gun because they are uneducated in the subject. It seems that for a few of the responders, that is the case here as well.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    Wisconsin1.jpg

:bigsmile:

I live in Wisconsin...:laugh:
This discussion has been closed.