Weird/Funniest things you have seen at the Gym

Options

Replies

• MrsSenecal
    MrsSenecal Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Not a gym story but I work in a Male Prison. I was working the night shift in the "Mental Health Unit". At about 330 am I walked past a cell of a 82 year old inmate doing Yoga. Yoga like you read about. I didnt know a body could possibly stretch in that way. I stopped outside the cell and stepped back because I couldnt believe what I was seeing. He just went about his routine. He always is doing yoga. Ive grown used to seeing that out of this inmate LOL!
  • appygirl84
    appygirl84 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    There was this man at the gym where I used to live. He was probably in his 60s, a fit 60s. He wore short shorts and a oversized muscle shirt. The shirt was loose and hung down to where it looked like he was only wearing the shirt. Oh and he belted it.
  • Shan790
    Shan790 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I saw a lady in the change room today use scotch tape to hold her wet bangs down. She walked out the door with her hair taped to her forehead.
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    These stories make me miss working out at a gym!!!
  • faceoff4
    faceoff4 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Last week actually. I was on the rat wheel (elliptical) and a girl in front of me was on the treadmill just waking slowly. She jumped off and didn't turn it off apparently but no one seemed to notice. Next guy along was playing on his phone when he decided to jump on the tready and you can only imagine what happened next. Straight down...smart move would have been just to tuck and roll and slide ride off, but no he decides to try and get up several times while it is still moving...up and down over and over while iPhones and stuff are flying. I hate to admit it but it was hard not to laugh...I actually had to cut my workout 10 mins early cause I couldn't breath from all the giggling...I know really bad of me to do so!
  • zrmac804
    zrmac804 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Someone working out wearing Jeans.

I've done this :blushing: Usually it's because I forgot to bring my sweatpants but didn't want to drive all the way back home.

I saw one guy chatting away on his cell phone in the hot tub. I was just waiting for the "SPLASH-BZZT". Another guy was reading a large novel, holding it about two inches above the water and getting it soaked through with steam. Hope it wasn't a library book...

The weirdest/grossest thing I've seen has to be the three lifeguards examining a piece of debris that one of them caught in his pool net. They were trying to determine whether it was "contamination" (when a kid vomits or poops in the pool, the whole pool has to be closed down and sanitized). Eventually they gave up on trying to figure out what the unidentified debris was, and closed the pool as a precaution.
  • DesdemonaRose
    Options
    I go to a Powerhouse gym, so mainly weightlifters though a few (like me) who do other stuff (they have a great daycare rate, as in free). I saw one guy who was obviously a bodybuilder working out in a purple thong and nothing else in the circuit room once. The room is full of mirrors so he was probably trying to see his muscles. I did a bit of a double take though. Normally everyone is dressed in at least shorts and a tank.
  • scarrie2
    scarrie2 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I saw a lady in her 60s wearing sunglasses talking on her cell phone on the treadmill. She stepped off the treadmill 90% of the time so she could continue talking. Obviously, she's got tons of time on her hands.

One guy once was yelling and grunting loudly as he was lifting by himself. Unnecessary.
  • scarrie2
    scarrie2 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    A guy running on the treadmill with a large glossy black and white photo of his pet pug placed on the front of the treadmill.

In the YMCA sauna, i walked in on two guys, one was giving the other one oral sex.

In the YMCA again, on the locker room floor lie a filthy pair of whitey tighties with the whole back side up the waist covered in feces.

Oh yes, in the sauna again, a guy with his balls strategically placed on a towel. he wasn't sitting on the towel, his balls were.

Looks like you need to find a new gym
  • Julesbait
    Julesbait Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    After looking through this thread, I'm torn between wanting to join a gym just to people watch, and wanting to stick to at-home workouts so I won't be one of the watchees at the gym. lol!
  • Annerk1
    Annerk1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I've seen a couple of people split their pants. One was a very heavy woman who was new to working out and didn't have workout clothes that fit, the other was a muscle bound gym rat who was trying to impress a girl. Guess which one I felt bad for.

Aw, I feel bad for that woman. It's got to take a real act of courage for someone that overweight, to join a gym and begin working out. I hope it didn't turn her off to coming back the next day.
  • Sundogoh
    Sundogoh Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I was running on the indoor track at our YMCA once and saw a guy wearing a button down dress shirt running. He was also wearing one of those Camelbak water backpacks. I gave him an A for effort but thought the waterpack was a bit overkill, especially since he would be passing a drinking fountain every lap (11.5 laps = 1 mile).
  • tinamarie014069
    Options
    I think I may be the winner here....One day when i went into the locker room of the gym I started to go use the bathroom before a run on the treadmill and I turned the corner and there was a woman sitting on the toilet naked with the door wide open!!! Needless to say I high tailed it out of there. I was SO embarassed!!! LOL
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I was running on the indoor track at our YMCA once and saw a guy wearing a button down dress shirt running. He was also wearing one of those Camelbak water backpacks. I gave him an A for effort but thought the waterpack was a bit overkill, especially since he would be passing a drinking fountain every lap (11.5 laps = 1 mile).

He might have been in training and needed to see if the kit worked ok although i can imagine it would look odd in the situation.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    I don't belong to a gym but I walk and run on a trail through almost everyday. Recently I have noticed a few people on bicycles riding while flapping their arms like birds. I find it disturbing, but it's a college town so who knows.
  • bio01979
    bio01979 Posts: 313
    Options
    Nothing quite that crazy. There is one really big girl who has been religiously using the elliptical machines in my gym. At first she was always wearing a camisole style shirt (just two straps across the shoulders) which was not terribly flattering for her but now she is wearing T-shirts. I think she had some that now finally fit. She's lost a noticable amount of weight so she gets big props from me for that.

Other than people doing ridiculously ignorant things in the weight room not much. Deadlifting heavy weight with a rounded back. Not doing full range of motion (*kitten* to ground on squats, etc) but that's not weird or funny, just sad. :)

what if they can't do full motion?

like I cannot go *kitten* to ground on a squat unless my legs are farther apart or I lift my right heel because the metal plate and screws in my ankle limit the amount my ankle can move
  • runner2runner
    runner2runner Posts: 1,937 Member
    Options
    How about guys who don't wash their hands after taking a piss!! That's weird, not to mention gross!!
  • kylamaries
    kylamaries Posts: 291
    Options
    Not at a gym, but I once saw a guy try to impress a girl by doing the halasana yoga pose (Google it if you don't know what that looks like) and ripped the biggest fart I've ever heard.

I don't consider myself immature, but I had to excuse myself for fear I'd laugh away his remaining dignity.
  • bunnsangel
    bunnsangel Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    The pesonal trainer at the gym I was going to was a very good looking man. Not attracted to him, just thought he was cute. I had been going about a month and was doing an ab machine that you sat on with your knees and twisted your torso from side to side. I thought I was rocking that machine. It just so happened one day he saw me working out on that machine and he came over and told me I was doing it wrong and then proceeded to show me how to do it. I got on it and did it the way he showed me and he said I was doing it right and I thought he had moved on. I did my right side and then my left and when I stood up, he spoke up behind me saying "come on girl, you can do more". He scared me and I tumbled over the machine. I jumped up and said I'm fine, I'm fine and proceeded to turn around and by golley, I tumbled over the machine again. I was mortified, but he came over to me and helped me up. He said he gets that kind of reaction all the time. And even though I couldn't afford him, he always made time to help me. I learned to lift weights and use the machines the right way. But I will never forget that.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    How about guys who don't wash their hands after taking a piss!! That's weird, not to mention gross!!

Stop peeing on your hands thilly