Weird/Funniest things you have seen at the Gym

Options

Replies

• SlimJanette
    SlimJanette Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Maybe not weird but very cute. My gym has in indoor track and lots of older (60 +) people like to walk laps especially in the mornings. There is this 1 couple that comes at the same time every day, they are probably older than 75 and the woman has trouble keeping her balance. Her husband regliously holds her hand throughout the entire walk. He never lets go not even once. Talk about true love! It is just so precious :D

Also, I love the 'weight tough guys" on the machines they put the weight really high like 150 pounds and then try to do 1 rep. When they finally do 1 rep they then get up and stretch it out and socialize for like 30 minutes before moving onto the next machine.

There is also another guy who slams the weight machines almost to the point they sound like he is going to break them.

I also really like the guys that move the weights to a higher weight than what they lifted just so the next person that sits down sees this really high weight.

That is so sweet with the couple, must be true love!

I hate when they add the extra weight on when they are done. Do they think that no one sees them?
    By the time I take all the weights off, that was my workout...LOL :laugh:
  • halzuzu
    halzuzu Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Lady on treadmill in high heels.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    There is a lady at my gym who is in her sixties, with dyed-jet-black hair. She wears a flowing white eyelet lace blouse and walks on the treadmill at about 2.0 mph. The whole time she is on the treadmill, she is doing a mix of interpretive dance and zumba moves -- waving her arms, making hand motions, sashaying her hips, dipping down and popping back up. Sometimes she holds onto the front of the treadmill and lets her feet drift way back on the belt and then does this little step move to catch back up. It's truly the strangest thing I've ever seen and it kills me to not laugh out loud when she's there.
  • PGG19
    PGG19 Posts: 63 Member
    Options

oh dear...
  • SlimJanette
    SlimJanette Posts: 597 Member
    Options

WTH? They allow that? crazy.
  • tomg33
    tomg33 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    The olympic lifter who storms outside and smokes when he misses a couple lifts in a row. Comes back in and nails it.
  • jody664
    jody664 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Oh ohh, I forgot about this one. In the gym where I used to work out, this lady would come in, about 45 years old, skin tight jeans and 4 inch heels, big poofy blonde hair and bright red lipstick. She would do maybe 3 reps on one machine, 3 reps on another, and then she'd be gone. I finally asked my trainer what was up with her, and he said she worked at a store next door and would be there 6-7 times a day when there were no customers at her store and do 2-3 exercises and then vainsh. I guess any way you can get a workout in..........but the first time I saw her working out in the heels, I about died laughing.
  • freebirdjones
    freebirdjones Posts: 237
    Options
    I work out at a goodlife and there is a guy there who does his whole workout/ weight session in bare feet.. :noway:
  • BenchPressingCats
    BenchPressingCats Posts: 1,826 Member
    Options
    One time, I was doing incline crunches after a meal of Thai food and farted really loudly. Thankfully, I was in the weight section with a bunch of guys, so they found it HILARIOUS!
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    Lady grumbling at CNN and punching the TV screen on the treadmill repeatedly.
  • annagoodner
    annagoodner Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    When my sister and I used to live near each other and would work out together, she would be on the machine next to me singing out loud to her music. I could always hear her above my own music. I love her :)
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    This girl was groaning very loudly when she was using the rowing machine. So awkward to listen to.
  • sdpeklo
    sdpeklo Posts: 82
    Options
    Maybe not weird but very cute. My gym has in indoor track and lots of older (60 +) people like to walk laps especially in the mornings. There is this 1 couple that comes at the same time every day, they are probably older than 75 and the woman has trouble keeping her balance. Her husband regliously holds her hand throughout the entire walk. He never lets go not even once. Talk about true love! It is just so precious :D

Also, I love the 'weight tough guys" on the machines they put the weight really high like 150 pounds and then try to do 1 rep. When they finally do 1 rep they then get up and stretch it out and socialize for like 30 minutes before moving onto the next machine.

There is also another guy who slams the weight machines almost to the point they sound like he is going to break them.

I also really like the guys that move the weights to a higher weight than what they lifted just so the next person that sits down sees this really high weight.
    Love the couple story. I also would love to see all the other incredible things you have going on there....my gym pales in comparison.
  • sdpeklo
    sdpeklo Posts: 82
    Options
    Sadly, I don't have any stories to tell, but one of my MFP friends once posted about a woman on the treadmill wearing a puffy vest and drinking a 20oz Pepsi!

Seriously, what is up with that?

This doesn't happen at my current workplace gym, but at my old gym, the fancy, rich lady gym, I'd see the rich ladies on the treadmill with their starbucks.
    Both of these make me smile.
  • krhn
    krhn Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    My brother running on the treadmill - he was 11 at the time ... Sort of overdid it and legs gave in... He got fired off the treadmill, he got up, and attempted to get back on the treadmill whilst it was still going... Safe to say he had another tumble :laugh:
  • musycnlyrics
    musycnlyrics Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I love seeing the "chatters" at the gym: pair of women walking on the treadmill at about 1.7mph, gossipping loudly, never breaking a sweat...

Also love the "gawkers": guys who position themselves a few feet behind a woman using a cardio machine (usually the arc trainer or treadmill) just to watch their butts move...
    this has happened to me quite a few times and I usually slow down, turn around, give em the finger, then start again...I almost expect to see boners when I see them gawking at somebody smh
  • IIISpartacusIII
    IIISpartacusIII Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I didn't personally witness it but this seems rather entertaining:

tumblr_mlqatfehYT1s2756fo1_250.gif
  • ThePinkPenguin
    Options
    Saw this one the other day in the strength training/weight machine room: Older couple comes in to do a strength workout...if you can call it that. The lady had on a button down shirt and dress pants/shoes, and the guy had on a t-shirt and jeans. I swear the woman only lifted the weight on the machine about three times before getting up and going to the next machine. They were only in the area about 5-10 minutes total, and the woman for some reason was singing along to the radio. Not really what I wanted to hear when I can't keep my iPod on me because I don't have an armband and can't use it to strength train.

There's also a girl in my Zumba class who is perfectly nice, but half the time, she comes to class in jeans and sometimes a long-sleeved shirt. She hardly ever wears workout clothes to the class and I don't know how she stands moving around. I've seen her wearing the same thing to run the treadmill, and I just don't get how you can do that.
  • otrlynn
    otrlynn Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Clearly, I'm going to the wrong gym!
  • Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I mostly get to see gym clowns.

Most commonly, it's a large group of BIG guys (like NFL lineman sized guys but nowhere near as athletic). They'll be wearing weighted vests, they'll put one of those squat pads around the barbell, throw 3-4 plates on each side, then bounce it off of their chest usually 1-4 times. Then get up and socialize for half an hour.

The only other exercises I've seen them do are lat pulldowns (with FAR less weight and terrible form - their chest/back strength is so out of balance it isn't even funny) or cable rows (usually with a lot less weight than I would expect from people bouncing 400 pounds off their chest, but the one time I saw one of them cable rowing 200+ pounds, he was also putting a lot of legs and back into it).

There's a lady who is in pretty much daily in the morning, she'll do "squats" on the Smith machine and she will maybe drop to slightly past 45 degrees if that. I'd feel a little more sorry about her form but she walks around and talks like she's a badass. And by that I mean, she crosses way beyond the line that separates confidence and arrogance!

Then there are the random meatheads that will pick WAY too heavy a weight to curl, and proceed to recruit every single muscle in their body to do a "bicep" curl.

One of them is a regular. He talked of doing 70/80/90 pound wrist curls.. then he did them. I've never seen wrist curls that recruit so many core muscles! He recently talked a storm up about doing leg press also. I'm not so sure, however, that you're supposed to bounce the leg press off of the bottom stopper. I've always controlled the rep using.. my leg muscles and nothing else.

What else.. what else.. one of my friends did snap a picture of a girl walking on one of the treadmills, she had a Mt. Dew and a bag of Doritos at hand. I thought that was kind of cute.

I also recently took video of a guy doing a lot of weight on lat pulldowns (probably 190 or 205 pounds) but he was swinging back nearly 90 degrees with it and just letting the weight fly back up instead of controlling the rep. I need to get that online sometime, I think it would be a hit!