the real reason low calorie diets dont work for everyone

Options
mats613
mats613 Posts: 47 Member
ever wonder why low-carb diets are so freaking effective? and NO its not bc u eat 'fewer calories.' don't give me platitudes of: 'energy in, energy out'. none of this calorie garbage.

YES counting calories work for people who are healthy and just have a lil weight to lose, or who have not been overweight their whole lives. even some obese people, who, lucky for them do not have insulin resistance.

what is insulin resistance? It is when a body grows immune to insulin. it is a vicous cycle. the more a person spikes their sugar levels, the more extra insulin the body makes. and when theres too much insulin in the blood, the body becomes even more immune to insulin. so the next time the person spikes their sugar, the body will have to make EVEN MORE insulin.

usually this leads to diabetes if not taken care of :( and yes, it happens when a person doesn't eat healthy and eats too much cake and chocolate (like me) lol.

so no, trolls out there, i am not saying it is 'not their fault they are fat'. i'm just saying that its now harder for them to lose weight.

some people are insulin resistant just because, but a lot of times its a genetic predisposition. ].

people who have insulin resistance have to be careful not to spike sugar levels. meaning, not eat foods that will be absorbed too quickly.

this means dropping processed sugars, flour, and carbs that the body processes too quickly.

seeds, nuts and vegies are amazing but not the starchy vegies like potatos cuz those have too much sugars that the body gets to too quickly.

fruit is ok because it has a lot of fibers the body breaks down to get at the sugars, ensuring sugar gets release slowly. fruit juice r though is already broken down, and goes straight to the blood stream and spikes it.

the reason low-carb high protein diet works on obese people so magically, is because they are not eating foods that are spiking their blood sugar and causing them to resist their insulin.
not only does this help lose weight right away, but as insulin resistance is reversible with proper diet, slowly but surely they 'fix themselves'....as long as they stay on the program.

by slowly reintroducing carbs that come from healthy, wholesome sources, weight loss can then be maintained.

i'm so sick of hearing this garbage about how CALORIES IN CALORIES OUT is the only logical explanation, and that a twinky diet is the same as eating brocolli.

NO. IT. ISN'T.

because if you stick to that twinkie diet long enough, even on 1200 cal a day, eventually lots of people will become insulin resistant and start gaining weight.

EATING HEALTHY DOES COUNT.

i am writing this to try and reach out and help pple who are having trouble losing weight counting calories. i have been in the same boat for 6 mos living on low cal not dropping weight. first i was told i was hypothyroid and put on synthroid. now i found out that it was insulin resistance effecting my bodies ability to produce hormones :( not only that, but i'm at risk for diabetes now.
i was so so stupid. thinking i could eat pizza and chocolate as long as i 'counted my calories' and it would be fine.

putting garbage calories in out body is not the same as putting nutritious, unprocessed ones.

we play around with natures bounty and expect our bodies to process it the same way as it process natural things?

would you put leftover chicken soup in your car and expect it to run? you need to put the right fuel in or the car breaks down, no?

Replies

• Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I don't entirely disagree, but in for the bloodbath.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    Insulin resistance is a state in which a given concentration of insulin produces a less-than-expected biological effect. (See Pathophysiology.) Insulin resistance has also been arbitrarily defined as the requirement of 200 or more units of insulin per day to attain glycemic control and to prevent ketosis.

The syndromes of insulin resistance actually make up a broad clinical spectrum, which includes obesity, glucose intolerance, diabetes, and the metabolic syndrome, as well as an extreme insulin-resistant state. Many of these disorders are associated with various endocrine, metabolic, and genetic conditions. These syndromes may also be associated with immunological diseases and may exhibit distinct phenotypic characteristics. (See Etiology and Clinical Presentation.)

The metabolic syndrome —a state of insulin-resistance that is also known as either syndrome X or the dysmetabolic syndrome—has drawn the greatest attention because of its public health importance. (See Diagnostic Considerations.)

In clinical practice, no single laboratory test is used to diagnose insulin resistance syndrome. Diagnosis is based on clinical findings corroborated with laboratory tests. Individual patients are screened based on the presence of comorbid conditions. (See Workup.)

Treatment involves pharmacologic therapy to reduce insulin resistance, along with surgical management of underlying causes if appropriate. Comorbid conditions should be evaluated and addressed; this is generally feasible on an outpatient basis, though some patients will require admission. The metabolic syndrome requires aggressive control of cardiovascular and metabolic risk factors. Modifications of diet and activity are recommended. (See Treatment and Management.)

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/122501-overview
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    The bodies of many people with diabetes are fighting a quiet war against the essential hormone insulin. This conflict is called insulin resistance, and while it’s a hallmark of prediabetes and type 2 diabetes, it can also affect those with type 1. Just why a person fails to respond properly to insulin is something of a mystery. But there are ways to make the body more receptive to insulin, which can help prevent or ameliorate diabetes.

Building Up Resistance
    In people who have neither diabetes nor insulin resistance, eating a typical meal will cause blood glucose levels to rise, triggering the pancreas to produce insulin. The hormone travels through the body and induces fat and muscle cells to absorb excess glucose from the blood for use as energy. As the cells take up glucose, blood glucose levels fall and flatten out to a normal range. Insulin also signals the liver—the body’s glucose repository—to hold on to its glucose stores for later use.

However, people with insulin resistance, also known as impaired insulin sensitivity, have built up a tolerance to insulin, making the hormone less effective. As a result, more insulin is needed to persuade fat and muscle cells to take up glucose and the liver to continue to store it.

In response to the body’s insulin resistance, the pancreas deploys greater amounts of the hormone to keep cells energized and blood glucose levels under control. (This is why people with type 2 diabetes tend to have elevated levels of circulating insulin.) The ability of the pancreas to increase insulin production means that insulin resistance alone won’t have any symptoms at first. Over time, though, insulin resistance tends to get worse, and the pancreatic beta cells that make insulin can wear out. Eventually, the pancreas no longer produces enough insulin to overcome the cells’ resistance. The result is higher blood glucose levels (prediabetes) and, ultimately, type 2 diabetes.

Insulin has other roles in the body besides regulating glucose metabolism, and the health effects of insulin resistance are thought to go beyond diabetes. For example, some research has shown that insulin resistance, independent of diabetes, is associated with heart disease.

Behind the Battle
    Scientists are beginning to get a better understanding of how insulin resistance develops. For starters, several genes have been identified that make a person more or less likely to develop the condition. It’s also known that older people are more prone to insulin resistance. Lifestyle can play a role, too; being sedentary, overweight, or obese increases the risk for insulin resistance. Why? It’s not clear, but some researchers theorize that extra fat tissue may cause inflammation, physiological stress, or other changes in the cells that contribute to insulin resistance. There may even be some undiscovered factor produced by fat tissue, perhaps a hormone, that signals the body to become insulin resistant.

Doctors don’t usually test for insulin resistance as a part of standard care. In clinical research, however, scientists may look specifically at measures of insulin resistance, often in an effort to study potential treatments for insulin resistance or type 2 diabetes. They typically administer a large amount of insulin to a subject while at the same time delivering glucose to the blood to keep levels from dipping too low. The less glucose needed to maintain normal blood glucose levels, the greater the insulin resistance.

Insulin resistance comes in degrees, with important health implications for people with diabetes. The more insulin resistant a person with type 2 is, the harder it will be to manage the disease because more medication is needed to get enough insulin in the body to achieve target blood glucose levels. Insulin resistance isn’t a cause of type 1 diabetes, but people with type 1 who are insulin resistant will need higher insulin doses to keep their blood glucose under control than those who are more sensitive to insulin. As with type 2, people with type 1 may be genetically predisposed to become insulin resistant. Or they may develop resistance due to overweight. Some research indicates that insulin resistance is a factor in cardiovascular disease and other complications in people with type 1.

Counterattack
    While it may not be possible to defeat insulin resistance entirely, there are ways to make the body cells more receptive to insulin. Getting active is probably the best way; exercise can dramatically reduce insulin resistance, in both the short and long terms. In addition to making the body more sensitive to insulin and building muscle that can absorb blood glucose, physical activity opens up an alternate gateway for glucose to enter muscle cells without insulin acting as an intermediary. This reduces the cells’ dependence on insulin for energy. This mechanism doesn’t reduce insulin resistance itself, but it can help people who are insulin resistant improve their blood glucose control.

Weight loss can also cut down on insulin resistance. No one diet has been proved to be the most effective. Some evidence suggests, though, that eating foods that are low in fat and high in carbohydrates can worsen insulin resistance. Research has also shown that people who undergo weight-loss surgery are likely to become significantly more sensitive to insulin.

No medications are specifically approved to treat insulin resistance. Yet diabetes medications like metformin and thiazolidinediones, or TZDs, are insulin sensitizers that lower blood glucose, at least in part, by reducing insulin resistance.

While fighting an invisible foe may seem daunting, there are effective tactics to combat insulin resistance. Losing weight, exercising more, or taking an insulin-sensitizing medication may get the body to bend once again to insulin’s will, bringing about good blood glucose control and better health.
  • godsgrl33
    godsgrl33 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I agree. If you put garbage in, you will feel like garbage. I hope your post educates some people. It's amazing that people don't know how to eat properly.
  • Bearbrat
    Bearbrat Posts: 230
    Options
    ever wonder why low-carb diets are so freaking effective? and NO its not bc u eat 'fewer calories.' don't give me platitudes of: 'energy in, energy out'. none of this calorie garbage.

YES counting calories work for people who are healthy and just have a lil weight to lose, or who have not been overweight their whole lives. even some obese people, who, lucky for them do not have insulin resistance.

what is insulin resistance? It is when a body grows immune to insulin. it is a vicous cycle. the more a person spikes their sugar levels, the more extra insulin the body makes. and when theres too much insulin in the blood, the body becomes even more immune to insulin. so the next time the person spikes their sugar, the body will have to make EVEN MORE insulin.

usually this leads to diabetes if not taken care of :( and yes, it happens when a person doesn't eat healthy and eats too much cake and chocolate (like me) lol.

so no, trolls out there, i am not saying it is 'not their fault they are fat'. i'm just saying that its now harder for them to lose weight.

some people are insulin resistant just because, but a lot of times its a genetic predisposition. ].

people who have insulin resistance have to be careful not to spike sugar levels. meaning, not eat foods that will be absorbed too quickly.

this means dropping processed sugars, flour, and carbs that the body processes too quickly.

seeds, nuts and vegies are amazing but not the starchy vegies like potatos cuz those have too much sugars that the body gets to too quickly.

fruit is ok because it has a lot of fibers the body breaks down to get at the sugars, ensuring sugar gets release slowly. fruit juice r though is already broken down, and goes straight to the blood stream and spikes it.

the reason low-carb high protein diet works on obese people so magically, is because they are not eating foods that are spiking their blood sugar and causing them to resist their insulin.
    not only does this help lose weight right away, but as insulin resistance is reversible with proper diet, slowly but surely they 'fix themselves'....as long as they stay on the program.

by slowly reintroducing carbs that come from healthy, wholesome sources, weight loss can then be maintained.

i'm so sick of hearing this garbage about how CALORIES IN CALORIES OUT is the only logical explanation, and that a twinky diet is the same as eating brocolli.

NO. IT. ISN'T.

because if you stick to that twinkie diet long enough, even on 1200 cal a day, eventually lots of people will become insulin resistant and start gaining weight.

EATING HEALTHY DOES COUNT.

i am writing this to try and reach out and help pple who are having trouble losing weight counting calories. i have been in the same boat for 6 mos living on low cal not dropping weight. first i was told i was hypothyroid and put on synthroid. now i found out that it was insulin resistance effecting my bodies ability to produce hormones :( not only that, but i'm at risk for diabetes now.
    i was so so stupid. thinking i could eat pizza and chocolate as long as i 'counted my calories' and it would be fine.

putting garbage calories in out body is not the same as putting nutritious, unprocessed ones.

we play around with natures bounty and expect our bodies to process it the same way as it process natural things?

would you put leftover chicken soup in your car and expect it to run? you need to put the right fuel in or the car breaks down, no?
    I agree, although I'm pretty certain there are going to be some people out there that completely disagree and will probably post here that they can eat chocolate cake every day and be fine. Myself personally, if I eat the processed garbage I feel like garbage and have very little energy. I do occasionally eat some dark chocolate or have a SERVING (half a cup) of ice cream, it's usually once every few months. Great post, Thank you :drinker:
  • stepheatscake
    stepheatscake Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    thank you so much for this. it's exactly the answer i've been looking for as I have been having the exact same problem as you.
  • Jetta1492
    Jetta1492 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I agree. I have a history of insulin resistance. It is related to another health issue that I have, PCOS. I have had to change my diet dramatically, but I no longer have symptoms of insulin resistance. I could not have lost the weight with just calorie counting alone. It certainly was part of the equation, but I had to change how often I ate, as well as what I ate (cut back on processed foods, etc). I cannot sustain a 1200 calorie diet that is made up of junk foods, because of the insulin resistance....
  • carolemorden9
    carolemorden9 Posts: 284 Member
    Options

Insulin resistance comes in degrees, with important health implications for people with diabetes. The more insulin resistant a person with type 2 is, the harder it will be to manage the disease because more medication is needed to get enough insulin in the body to achieve target blood glucose levels. Insulin resistance isn’t a cause of type 1 diabetes, but people with type 1 who are insulin resistant will need higher insulin doses to keep their blood glucose under control than those who are more sensitive to insulin. As with type 2, people with type 1 may be genetically predisposed to become insulin resistant. Or they may develop resistance due to overweight. Some research indicates that insulin resistance is a factor in cardiovascular disease and other complications in people with type 1.

Counterattack
    While it may not be possible to defeat insulin resistance entirely, there are ways to make the body cells more receptive to insulin. Getting active is probably the best way; exercise can dramatically reduce insulin resistance, in both the short and long terms. In addition to making the body more sensitive to insulin and building muscle that can absorb blood glucose, physical activity opens up an alternate gateway for glucose to enter muscle cells without insulin acting as an intermediary. This reduces the cells’ dependence on insulin for energy. This mechanism doesn’t reduce insulin resistance itself, but it can help people who are insulin resistant improve their blood glucose control.

Weight loss can also cut down on insulin resistance. No one diet has been proved to be the most effective. Some evidence suggests, though, that eating foods that are low in fat and high in carbohydrates can worsen insulin resistance. Research has also shown that people who undergo weight-loss surgery are likely to become significantly more sensitive to insulin.

I have insulin dependent Type 2 Diabetes. I never really understood insulin resistance until now. When I started my weight loss journey 3 months ago, I was taking 90 units of lantus (long acting insulin) at night and between 5 - 15 units of humalog (fast acting insulin) before meals. Now I'm down to taking 50 units of lantus a night and 5 units of humalog before meals if needed according to my blood sugar. I have been keeping track of calories, but I try and focus on getting more protein in my diet and exercise at least 30 minutes a day (most days more). I've been able to lose weight successfully so far. I have cut back a lot on ice cream and other "junk" food, but will have a small treat now and then. This post has been very informative.
  • mats613
    Options
    Thank you so much to everyone who posted. not one negative post. just lots of encouragement, information, and good ol' common sense from you guys.

misskitty, ur right, i totally feel worlds different and better when i eat fresh, yummy foods for a week that i made myself, as opposed to takeout and donuts!

steinersteph, i'm so glad i was able to give you some insights

morena - yes i also have pcos, but only when my weight fluctuates too much upwards - so only like once or twice a year do i have an issue. the dr put me on metformin - are you on it?

west - thanks for the info! its always good to see educational sources, helps with the skeptics, the radicals and the trolls :)

***A GOOD LINK***
    i have here a list of foods that are helpful towards preventing and reversing insulin rejection. if you find that you are not losing weight just with low cal, try to use this list as a guideline. it is super severe, and probably written for someone with serious issues. therefore, take it with a grain of salt.
    meaning, just cuz the list says avacados are 'red listed' doesn't mean you can never have an avacado. it means don't have one too often. you know? focus on the green and black list as much as possible:

http://healingpartnership.com/uploads/file/Resistance, Insulin 09-13-09.pdf
  • Diamond05
    Diamond05 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I agree. If you put garbage in, you will feel like garbage. I hope your post educates some people. It's amazing that people don't know how to eat properly.

I have been amazed at how many people eat craps on here... Fried chicken there , ice cream there, cookies plus a bag of chips everyday, dont forget the mcdo and the frozen pizza... but HEY theyre into their calories allowance!! They should at least try to fit one nutritious meal full of veggies a day...
  • joleenl
    joleenl Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Great information. I have pcos which makes me insulin resistant. A few years back I was borderline diabetic. I still do a agree that calories in = calories out and a calorie deficit is what causes weight loss. However that's not to say people with certain medical conditions such as metabolic syndrome and/or diabetes and/or pcos and/or insulin resistance to name a few can definitely benefit from a low carb diet. A low carb diet doesn't always mean healthier though. A healthy diet IMO is one that is balanced with whole foods with little to no processing all the while allowing for occasional treats (if one wishes). IMO people with medical conditions should treat food as medicine to help with their condition by adjusting their diet accordingly. People with no medical conditions should eat as preventative measures to ensure they stay healthy.
  • Jetta1492
    Options
    Thank you so much to everyone who posted. not one negative post. just lots of encouragement, information, and good ol' common sense from you guys.

morena - yes i also have pcos, but only when my weight fluctuates too much upwards - so only like once or twice a year do i have an issue. the dr put me on metformin - are you on it?

Thank you for posting this. I am not on Metformin, because my symptoms of insulin resistance have mostly disappeared since I lost weight. I probably would have ended up having to take it had I not lost weight. I used to have a lot of trouble controlling my blood glucose levels, but no more. I am currently on spironolactone for the PCOS though & it works great:) I am determined to maintain a healthy weight so that I do not have to take any more meds than absolutely necessary!
  • mats613
    Options
    morena, what method did you use to drop the weight?
  • mrdexter1
    mrdexter1 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    you state..

"the reason low-carb high protein diet works on obese people so magically, is because they are not eating foods that are spiking their blood sugar and causing them to resist their insulin. "

insulin is a hormone and the only one capable of converting carbs to feed the body and if you eat too many carbs once its fed the body they get stored as fat and is nothing to do with resisting insulin !

the real reason low cal diets are more likely not to work is the fact in low cal diets you re more likely to have cut essential fats out so the body recognises this and and holds onto fat or stores it if necessary and your weight loss stalls.
  • mats613
    Options
    you are aware that insulin is sent out by the pancreas every time a person eats? and the more sugar/carb laden the food, the more insulin it sends?

as well, excess insulin causes the body to store more energy as fat? basically, having insulin resistance means the body keeps making more insulin. and the extra insulin in the body is not sitting around twiddling its thumbs waiting for a job - its busy storing every scrap of glucose it can find, causing people who have reached a certain threshold of obesity even more difficulties losing weight than their slimmer counterparts.

you should really research insulin resistance before posting your opinions. opinions not based on fact are empty and of no help to anyone, a simple Google search of "weight gain insulin resistance' will get you in touch with a plethora of well researched articles on the subject.
    you state..

"the reason low-carb high protein diet works on obese people so magically, is because they are not eating foods that are spiking their blood sugar and causing them to resist their insulin. "

insulin is a hormone and the only one capable of converting carbs to feed the body and if you eat too many carbs once its fed the body they get stored as fat and is nothing to do with resisting insulin !

the real reason low cal diets are more likely not to work is the fact in low cal diets you re more likely to have cut essential fats out so the body recognises this and and holds onto fat or stores it if necessary and your weight loss stalls.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    You do realize that protein also creates an insulin response, right?

Or did you mean low carb high fat diets?
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options

misskitty, ur right, i totally feel worlds different and better when i eat fresh, yummy foods for a week that i made myself, as opposed to takeout and donuts!

steinersteph, i'm so glad i was able to give you some insights

west - thanks for the info! its always good to see educational sources, helps with the skeptics, the radicals and the trolls :)

***A GOOD LINK***
    i have here a list of foods that are helpful towards preventing and reversing insulin rejection. if you find that you are not losing weight just with low cal, try to use this list as a guideline. it is super severe, and probably written for someone with serious issues. therefore, take it with a grain of salt.
    meaning, just cuz the list says avacados are 'red listed' doesn't mean you can never have an avacado. it means don't have one too often. you know? focus on the green and black list as much as possible:

Wow what a list! I do wonder why almond milk is in the red, yet almonds and almond oil are both in the green, any ideas?
  • GeekAmour
    GeekAmour Posts: 262
    Options
    I'm sorry. I didn't even make to the second paragraph.

tumblr_mm5wtxyI4m1r5xzspo1_500.gif
  • sammi674
    sammi674 Posts: 41
    Options
    I lose weight better when I eat carbs. Without them, I feel like I'm starving and have no energy, and I become really irritable. Plus, meat and vegetables are my least favorite food groups so you can imagine how deprived I feel only eating them. That is not a life-style change for me. Even when I cut carbs out, my weight loss stays at the same rate. I guess I'm one of the lucky morbidly obese people who aren't effected by them.

Plus, in many THIN countries, carbs is a staple, and they don't have an obesity epidemic... hmm.

I remember fat and dairy use to be the 'banned' macro once upon a time, so I don't bother with cutting anything out.

With that said, there are people whose bodies handle carbs differently, so I'm not saying what you posted isn't true.
  • Jetta1492
    Options
    morena, what method did you use to drop the weight?

It has taken me 8 months to lose the weight. I exercise 6 days per week. I do 1 hour fitness classes each day, either cardio or strength classes. I also consistently log my food, and adjust my calories as needed. If I notice that I am not losing weight, then I decrease calories. Being consist with logging my food intake has really helped. Right now, I am at 1300 calories a day. I have noticed that as my weight decreases, I need fewer calories each day.

I try to eat a lot of whole grains, & avoid highly processed carbohydrate rich food. I also focus heavily on my macros to make sure that I am getting all the nutrients and minerals that I need.

Hope that helps:)