the real reason low calorie diets dont work for everyone

Options

Replies

• MrsWells1983
    MrsWells1983 Posts: 160
    Options
    I have insulin resistance and PCOS. I have been on a modified diabetics diet (counting carbs, eating 40g carbs at every meal, 15-30g carbs at every snack and eating every 3-4 hours to prevent the sugar spike) and lost weight this way, I'm also currently calorie counting and exercising and it's working just as well, or even better than when I was carb counting.

So in all honesty some people may have to try a few things to see what works for their own body. Personally my body responds really well to exercise, when I exercise it's like the insulin resistance doesn't even exist.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    Glad to see that silly old First Law of Thermodynamics being defeated at last. Perpetual motion machines are just around the corner. Bro-science rules!
    not sure if serious

It's intended to be ironic. This whole thread is full of nonsense and confusion between the calorie as a measure of energy and eating healthily. Low calorie diets, if followed correctly, DO work, if you expend more energy than you eat, the energy has to come from somewhere, and that somewhere is fat, or in the event of no fat being left, muscle, bones, etc, so you lose weight. Insulin resistance is something else entirely. Oh, and a calorie is a calorie is a calorie, ie a measure of heat (energy), there are no such things as good or bad calories, just as there are no good or bad inches, an inch is just a measure also.

Well its cause there are alot of dumb things posted. Unless I read alot of your posts I cant tell.

You and I both have seen our share of retarded comments.

Even when I was in high school I learned the laws of thermodynamics and the conservation of energy. I guess people didnt get a decent education.
  • DatMurse
    Options
    i been dieting all my life started my first one with 13 years old. Could never keep the weight off and my mom was always shocked how much weight i gained so quickly without eating as much as i should have to explain it, if that makes sense. This year i finally went to my 6th or 7th doctor to get bloodwork done (i had other symptoms for years also) and finally i got the answers insulin resistant pcos.

She put me right away on a low carb diet and metformin and for the first time in my life i am losing weight without so many struggles and feeling starved and miserable. So yes low carb is the answer for me and i will never go back to high carb foods.

were you a diabetic?

You are still under total caloric intake regardless
  • DatMurse
    Options
    I have insulin resistance and PCOS. I have been on a modified diabetics diet (counting carbs, eating 40g carbs at every meal, 15-30g carbs at every snack and eating every 3-4 hours to prevent the sugar spike) and lost weight this way, I'm also currently calorie counting and exercising and it's working just as well, or even better than when I was carb counting.

So in all honesty some people may have to try a few things to see what works for their own body. Personally my body responds really well to exercise, when I exercise it's like the insulin resistance doesn't even exist.
    you were still having more calories out than in.

Regardless of the route of your diet.
  • mamosh81
    mamosh81 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    i been dieting all my life started my first one with 13 years old. Could never keep the weight off and my mom was always shocked how much weight i gained so quickly without eating as much as i should have to explain it, if that makes sense. This year i finally went to my 6th or 7th doctor to get bloodwork done (i had other symptoms for years also) and finally i got the answers insulin resistant pcos.

She put me right away on a low carb diet and metformin and for the first time in my life i am losing weight without so many struggles and feeling starved and miserable. So yes low carb is the answer for me and i will never go back to high carb foods.

were you a diabetic?

You are still under total caloric intake regardless

I have insulin resistant pcos and yes i am still in calorie deficit but i have been before on other diets just saying this time i am on low carb diet from my doctor i lose weight better and dont feel hungry all the time
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I agree its terribly important to eat not just low calorie but well, good clean healthy foods, veges, lean meat, wholegrains.
    Don't agree its easier for people who "just have a bit to lose" than for bigger people, quite the opposite in fact. .Those last few kgs are killers to get off.
  • susantrigg18
    Options
    Prior to joining MFP 35 weeks ago, I was morbidly obese (now classed as obese) i was borderline diabetic, had high blood pressure & high cholesterol.
    This is My experience, and please note, i m not saying its the ONLY way to do it, but it works well for me.
    Im certainly no expert on anything weight/fat loss related, but i put together a sustainable healthy eating plan which works well for me after I did a fair bit of laymans research.

I try to eat clean foods (as little processed food as possible) low carb (100gms or under) healthy fats (60gms or under) high protein (1gm per kilo of body weight) I adjust these amounts as my weight drops every 10 kgs.

AT the 26 week mark i had lost approx 23kgs/50 pounds by eating this way & decided to have my dr. run blood tests to check my levels...pleased to say im no longer borderline diabetic, normal blood pressure range for the 1st time in 25 years, cholesterol levels are all in healthy range, liver & kidney function all normal. Im into my 35th week & have lost just over 32 kgs/72 pounds.
  • ron2e
    ron2e Posts: 606
    Options
    I have insulin resistant pcos and yes i am still in calorie deficit but i have been before on other diets just saying this time i am on low carb diet from my doctor i lose weight better and dont feel hungry all the time

Which is a totally different thing from the OP saying energy in versus energy out is garbage. I myself follow a diet relatively low in processed carbs, ie little or no white bread, flour, rice, potato chips, etc, as I find it helps me to snack a lot less because I am not getting sugar spikes to the same extent and therefore not the lows where you need a chocolate hit. I also try to eat more healthily. I have no problem with any of that, but do have a problem when people, who are clearly not knowledgeable about what lies behind their cranky theories, refute scientific principles. There are a lot of vulnerable and therefore gullible people out there (or in here) particularly when weight is the issue and they don't deserve to be fed this sort of nonsense, it helps no one.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of vulnerable and therefore gullible people out there (or in here) particularly when weight is the issue and they don't deserve to be fed this sort of nonsense, it helps no one.

:drinker:

I get so sick of carbs being some people's "whipping boy" while completely ignoring sound science.
  • mamosh81
    mamosh81 Posts: 409 Member
    Options

Which is a totally different thing from the OP saying energy in versus energy out is garbage. I myself follow a diet relatively low in processed carbs, ie little or no white bread, flour, rice, potato chips, etc, as I find it helps me to snack a lot less because I am not getting sugar spikes to the same extent and therefore not the lows where you need a chocolate hit. I also try to eat more healthily. I have no problem with any of that, but do have a problem when people, who are clearly not knowledgeable about what lies behind their cranky theories, refute scientific principles. There are a lot of vulnerable and therefore gullible people out there (or in here) particularly when weight is the issue and they don't deserve to be fed this sort of nonsense, it helps no one.

haha ok maybe i should not just read half the posts in future it made sense to me on the beginning and then i got bored and skipped the rest :laugh:
    yeah no matter how you want to turn it its calories in vs calories out but for some with and without medical condition it is a lot lot lot easier archived by lowering carbs
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Exercise has been shown to have a very significant positive impact on insulin sensitivity, and especially resistance training.
  • DatMurse
    Options
    Prior to joining MFP 35 weeks ago, I was morbidly obese (now classed as obese) i was borderline diabetic, had high blood pressure & high cholesterol.
    This is My experience, and please note, i m not saying its the ONLY way to do it, but it works well for me.
    Im certainly no expert on anything weight/fat loss related, but i put together a sustainable healthy eating plan which works well for me after I did a fair bit of laymans research.

I try to eat clean foods (as little processed food as possible) low carb (100gms or under) healthy fats (60gms or under) high protein (1gm per kilo of body weight) I adjust these amounts as my weight drops every 10 kgs.

AT the 26 week mark i had lost approx 23kgs/50 pounds by eating this way & decided to have my dr. run blood tests to check my levels...pleased to say im no longer borderline diabetic, normal blood pressure range for the 1st time in 25 years, cholesterol levels are all in healthy range, liver & kidney function all normal. Im into my 35th week & have lost just over 32 kgs/72 pounds.
    I somewhat agree with this statement.
    In times before we could measure the amount of energy within foods we were unsure of what to consume.
    We are fortunate enough that we can measure energy of foods and track them online and on labels. but... there is no such thing healthy fats. just trans fat which is unhealthy. The rest are fine.

In a blind diet(not knowing caloric value of food), heavily limiting processed foods would be one of they key things to do, because we can measure. I am not saying go out there and eat all the twinkies in the world, but if you want to be able to enjoy some of the "junk" food. it can be beneficial to learn this stuff

but... I know you said you were new. there are alot of things you can learn off of here such as the effects of lowering adipose tissue in the body, hypocaloric/isocaloric diets on insulin resistance, cholesterol, etc.
  • susantrigg18
    Options
    As i said, im by no means an expert & i have learned a considerable amount from this site over the last 8 months, however, i would argue that there are no healthy fats...i consider things such as avocado & nuts in moderation to contain healthy fats but i wont :bigsmile:

In regard to fast & or junk food...i dont miss or crave any at all, im simply not interested in it at all these days, but thats not to say i won't be in the future. Never say never, i try to be realistic about things. I believe a positive mind set, healthy sustainable diet with realistic goals & outlook to be important keys to health inside & out...just a shame its taken me 46 years to "get" that :bigsmile:
  • barbaratrollman
    barbaratrollman Posts: 317 Member
    Options

Wow what a list! I do wonder why almond milk is in the red, yet almonds and almond oil are both in the green, any ideas?

I am guessing that it is for the same reason that fruit juices are going to be more rapidly processed by the body than whole fruits, which will be more time released and take a bit more time for the body to break down.
    The carbs in whole almonds would be more slowly broken down and the almond oil would not contain carbs.
  • barbaratrollman
    Options
    As i said, im by no means an expert & i have learned a considerable amount from this site over the last 8 months, however, i would argue that there are no healthy fats...i consider things such as avocado & nuts in moderation to contain healthy fats but i wont :bigsmile:

Did I misunderstand your post, or did you just state that there is no such thing as "healthy fats"? Really? Where did you get this opinion from?
  • barbaratrollman
    Options

Exercise has been shown to have a very significant positive impact on insulin sensitivity, and especially resistance training.

Yes ma'am! There are a lot of things I don't know and am learning, but this is one I do know about.
    Type 2 diabetes is most often reversible and manageable through exercise and food choices.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • RunWestyRun
    RunWestyRun Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    nice
  • recesq
    recesq Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    WetCoaster, thanks for that post.
    Mats, I don't understand why eggs, cheese and lettuce is on the red list.
    I have that everyday. Perhaps I'll try a few days without and see what happens...but I'm really curious about those restrictions for someone who is insulin resistant. How does protein and fat in an egg cause a rise in blood sugar? Or lettuce??????