the real reason low calorie diets dont work for everyone

Options

Replies

• lalaninjacakes
    Options
    It's not calorie intake you have to worry about, it's the fat intake.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options

EATING HEALTHY DOES COUNT.

i am writing this to try and reach out and help pple who are having trouble losing weight counting calories. i have been in the same boat for 6 mos living on low cal not dropping weight. first i was told i was hypothyroid and put on synthroid. now i found out that it was insulin resistance effecting my bodies ability to produce hormones :( not only that, but i'm at risk for diabetes now.
    i was so so stupid. thinking i could eat pizza and chocolate as long as i 'counted my calories' and it would be fine.

putting garbage calories in out body is not the same as putting nutritious, unprocessed ones.

we play around with natures bounty and expect our bodies to process it the same way as it process natural things?

would you put leftover chicken soup in your car and expect it to run? you need to put the right fuel in or the car breaks down, no?
    You do realize adipose tissue creates insulin resistance. What you are pretty much saying is that you are in a never ending cycle of being fat which is not the case. In hypocaloric diets even a higher carb one. Insulin resistance is decreased due to the circulating blood glucose dropping.
    Body weight, waist circumference, triglycerides and insulin levels decreased with all three diets but, apart from insulin, the reductions were significantly greater in the HF and HP groups than in the HC group. These observations suggest that the popular diets reduced insulin resistance to a greater extent than the standard dietary advice did. When compared with the HC diet, the HF and HP diets were shown to produce significantly (p<0.01) greater reductions in several parameters, including weight loss (HF -2.8 kg, HP -2.7 kg), waist circumference (HF -3.5 cm, HP -2.7 cm) and triglycerides (HF -0.30 mmol/l, HP [corrected] -0.22 mmol/l). LDL cholesterol decreased in individuals on the HC and HP diets, but tended to fluctuate in those on the HF diet to the extent that overall levels were significantly lower in the HP group than in the HF group (-0.28 mmol/l, 95% CI 0.04-0.52, p=0.02). Of those on the HF diet, 25% showed a >10% increase in LDL cholesterol, whereas this occurred in only 13% of subjects on the HC diet and 3% of those on the HP diet.
    High- P and High-F showed better insulin resistance decrease but High-C diets still worked

Your information your spreading is wrong, dont be posting this unless you know what you are talking about please

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html
    This is not a study but this guy made a point against people like you, he does not reccomend it but he still lost weight
  • DatMurse
    Options

according to what?

you do realize the lower fat you take in the higher carb oxidation goes on? and vice versa
    lower carb, higher fat oxidation.

On top of that fat is much more physiologically necessary than carbs
  • torsrudr
    torsrudr Posts: 6
    Options
    Exactly right! It has nothing to do with how many calories you're eating, but what those calories consist of.

Here's another great article that I always share: http://preventdisease.com/news/12/030112_World-Renown-Heart-Surgeon-Speaks-Out-On-What-Really-Causes-Heart-Disease.shtml

Stop eating excessive carbs, including grains of any kind which truly do not add any nutritional value to your diet. Opt for a sensible amount of protein and lots of non-starchy veggies for 3 meals a day.
  • DatMurse
    Options
    Exactly right! It has nothing to do with how many calories you're eating, but what those calories consist of.

Here's another great article that I always share: http://preventdisease.com/news/12/030112_World-Renown-Heart-Surgeon-Speaks-Out-On-What-Really-Causes-Heart-Disease.shtml

Stop eating excessive carbs, including grains of any kind which truly do not add any nutritional value to your diet. Opt for a sensible amount of protein and lots of non-starchy veggies for 3 meals a day.
    He said eat more protein... alot of colorful fruits, avoid omega 6

that was in relation to heart disease, not obesity
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Silly analogy tbh

"would you put leftover chicken soup in your car and expect it to run? you need to put the right fuel in or the car breaks down, no?"

A car does not run on soup - it runs on gas. A better analogy would be premium v regular.

We run on food. We run better on some food than others. I run quite nicely on carbs, fats and protein in proportions appropriate to my activity and health.
  • DatMurse
    Options
    Silly analogy tbh

"would you put leftover chicken soup in your car and expect it to run? you need to put the right fuel in or the car breaks down, no?"

A car does not run on soup - it runs on gas. A better analogy would be premium v regular.

We run on food. We run better on some food than others.
    agreed.

I am not saying fill your diet with twinkies, but OP your reasoning for obesity doesnt make sense.

I eat alot of whole foods and I cut out alot of processed foods. I eat a mixed diet of mostly whole foods and I eat my sources of junk too.
  • ron2e
    ron2e Posts: 606
    Options
    Glad to see that silly old First Law of Thermodynamics being defeated at last. Perpetual motion machines are just around the corner. Bro-science rules!
  • Onederchic
    Onederchic Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I don't entirely disagree, but in for the bloodbath.
    :drinker:
  • mareeee1234
    mareeee1234 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    bump...
  • DatMurse
    Options
    Glad to see that silly old First Law of Thermodynamics being defeated at last. Perpetual motion machines are just around the corner. Bro-science rules!
    not sure if serious
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

So, oatmeal and rice have no nutritional value?
  • DatMurse
    Options

So, oatmeal and rice have no nutritional value?
    I think she was referring to bread, but not too sure
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    It's a given that people with health problems can be the exception to the rule. You'll find that under the "Special Unicorn" file.

Edit for spelling.
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options

LOLOLOLOLOL. No.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I am not giving up my oatmeal. And I am eating like 2000 calories a day, more or less. And I am not eating back my calories. So there.
  • mhcoss
    mhcoss Posts: 220
    Options
    motivation = everything
  • DistantJ
    DistantJ Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Agree. I can't change how many calories I take in and exercise alone. I have to change what I eat as well. I envy those people who can eat 1400 calories worth of fast food per day and still lose. Part of the unjustness of life. :)
  • ron2e
    ron2e Posts: 606
    Options
    not sure if serious

It's intended to be ironic. This whole thread is full of nonsense and confusion between the calorie as a measure of energy and eating healthily. Low calorie diets, if followed correctly, DO work, if you expend more energy than you eat, the energy has to come from somewhere, and that somewhere is fat, or in the event of no fat being left, muscle, bones, etc, so you lose weight. Insulin resistance is something else entirely. Oh, and a calorie is a calorie is a calorie, ie a measure of heat (energy), there are no such things as good or bad calories, just as there are no good or bad inches, an inch is just a measure also.
  • mamosh81
    mamosh81 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    i been dieting all my life started my first one with 13 years old. Could never keep the weight off and my mom was always shocked how much weight i gained so quickly without eating as much as i should have to explain it, if that makes sense. This year i finally went to my 6th or 7th doctor to get bloodwork done (i had other symptoms for years also) and finally i got the answers insulin resistant pcos.

She put me right away on a low carb diet and metformin and for the first time in my life i am losing weight without so many struggles and feeling starved and miserable. So yes low carb is the answer for me and i will never go back to high carb foods.