the real reason low calorie diets dont work for everyone

Options

Replies

• recesq
    recesq Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Barbara, your body cannot live without fats. A baby will not develop properly without fats. Of course there are healthy fats.
  • sarahz1442
    sarahz1442 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    This would certainly explain why eating a 1200 calorie diet worked so well for me and others stall on it since I was never all that overweight to being with.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    There is another reason low calorie diets don't work. People need to adjust their opinion of what a low calorie diet is. IMO a low calorie diet is one where you have dropped your calories significantly more than 500 calories below maintenance. So lets say you weigh 400 lbs and you eat 4000 calories a day to maintain. Dropping down to 3000 calories a day would be a low calorie diet. Dropping down to less than 2000 would be torture even if you increase the volume of your food significantly. It can probably be done, but I don't think it's advisable.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    As i said, im by no means an expert & i have learned a considerable amount from this site over the last 8 months, however, i would argue that there are no healthy fats...i consider things such as avocado & nuts in moderation to contain healthy fats but i wont :bigsmile:

In regard to fast & or junk food...i dont miss or crave any at all, im simply not interested in it at all these days, but thats not to say i won't be in the future. Never say never, i try to be realistic about things. I believe a positive mind set, healthy sustainable diet with realistic goals & outlook to be important keys to health inside & out...just a shame its taken me 46 years to "get" that :bigsmile:

The term healthy fats from nuts/avocados were termed and based off of studies. Same with the opposing claim that saturated fat is ok.
    If you want to educate yourself google french paradox.

Well thats good to hear. To each is their own in regards to preference
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    ever wonder why low-carb diets are so freaking effective? and NO its not bc u eat 'fewer calories.' don't give me platitudes of: 'energy in, energy out'. none of this calorie garbage.

All diets require an energy deficit to induce weight loss coming from tissues (rather than exclusively fluids).

the reason low-carb high protein diet works on obese people so magically, is because they are not eating foods that are spiking their blood sugar and causing them to resist their insulin.

Protein is insulinogenic.

More James Krieger, less Gary Taubes please.

http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    And the biggest reason I could think of that low calorie diets don't work for everyone, has nothing to do with insulin and everything to do with adherence capacity to that diet. *

* And even if adherence could be maintained that does not mean that large deficits are preferred.
  • DatMurse
    Options
    There is another reason low calorie diets don't work. People need to adjust their opinion of what a low calorie diet is. IMO a low calorie diet is one where you have dropped your calories significantly more than 500 calories below maintenance. So lets say you weigh 400 lbs and you eat 4000 calories a day to maintain. Dropping down to 3000 calories a day would be a low calorie diet. Dropping down to less than 2000 would be torture even if you increase the volume of your food significantly. It can probably be done, but I don't think it's advisable.
    ultimateprogress.jpg

Yea low calorie diets dont work.
    Even though I was at a 50% energy deficit and losing 1 lb every 2 days until I hit around 20% bodyfat/40 lbs of fat.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    Silly analogy tbh

"would you put leftover chicken soup in your car and expect it to run? you need to put the right fuel in or the car breaks down, no?"

A car does not run on soup - it runs on gas. A better analogy would be premium v regular.

This is a great analogy, especially when you consider the fact that once you meet the octane level that is appropriate for your engine, there is no benefit to using gas with a higher octane level.

We run on food. We run better on some food than others. I run quite nicely on carbs, fats and protein in proportions appropriate to my activity and health.
  • susantrigg18
    Options
    Barbaratrollm...No, i didnt say that, i was responding to a reply to my comments.
    I actually said i believe there are healthy fats :bigsmile:
  • barbaratrollman
    barbaratrollman Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Barbara, your body cannot live without fats. A baby will not develop properly without fats. Of course there are healthy fats.

Yes, I know this. LOL
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,689 Member
    Options
    And the biggest reason I could think of that low calorie diets don't work for everyone, has nothing to do with insulin and everything to do with adherence capacity to that diet. *

* And even if adherence could be maintained that does not mean that large deficits are preferred.
    Best answer of all.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • laurynwithawhy
    laurynwithawhy Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    OP..... That's a cool story bro.
  • lhourin
    lhourin Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    It's not calorie intake you have to worry about, it's the fat intake.

Yes, you need to EAT some fat. Fat does not make you fat. I'm leaner and lighter than I've been in years, and my diet is currently about 65% fat. AND my bloodwork is much better than it was when I ate a more traditionally "healthy" low-fat, higher carb diet.

You do not really need to eat "whole grains" or bread or pasta or crackers or oatmeal or cereal or completely processed non-fat or low-fat "food" or sugar, though. Unless you want to get that oft-mentioned insulin spike going...which may or may not effect you in terms of weight-loss and health. But, as someone with a mother who always ate low-fat, lean meats, whole grains, tons of fruits and veggies...and was borderline diabetic, no thanks. I've done my research and have fixed my evil ways... ;) And gotten back a kick-*kitten* body to boot.

And to the poster who "needs" carbs, I bet you were not eating nearly enough fat when you tried "low-carbing" (a term that gives me fits, despite the fact that I eat very few of them...and, yes, am able to get up every day, work out hard, study hard, and live life to the fullest). Eating only veggies and lean meats is a whole different recipe for disaster.
  • DatMurse
    Options
    It's not calorie intake you have to worry about, it's the fat intake.

Yes, you need to EAT some fat. Fat does not make you fat. I'm leaner and lighter than I've been in years, and my diet is currently about 65% fat. AND my bloodwork is much better than it was when I ate a more traditionally "healthy" low-fat, higher carb diet.

You do not really need to eat "whole grains" or bread or pasta or crackers or oatmeal or cereal or completely processed non-fat or low-fat "food" or sugar, though. Unless you want to get that oft-mentioned insulin spike going...which may or may not effect you in terms of weight-loss and health. But, as someone with a mother who always ate low-fat, lean meats, whole grains, tons of fruits and veggies...and was borderline diabetic, no thanks. I've done my research and have fixed my evil ways... ;) And gotten back a kick-*kitten* body to boot.

And to the poster who "needs" carbs, I bet you were not eating nearly enough fat when you tried "low-carbing" (a term that gives me fits, despite the fact that I eat very few of them...and, yes, am able to get up every day, work out hard, study hard, and live life to the fullest). Eating only veggies and lean meats is a whole different recipe for disaster.
    Nuh uh. fat makes you fat. they call it fat for a reason cause it becomes fat. thus you become fatter by eating more fat. lies on top of lies! =)
  • lhourin
    lhourin Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Nuh uh. fat makes you fat. they call it fat for a reason cause it becomes fat. thus you become fatter by eating more fat. lies on top of lies! =)

Damn it, you got me. (I was just kidding...I really eat about 5% fat, the rest is "heart healthy whole grains" and ultra-lean meats. Shhh.)
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    I have not read all the posts but OP your information is incorrect.

Type 1DM (IDDM- Insulin Dependent Diabetes Mellitus) is characterized by the loss of insulin producing beta cells in the pancreas.

Type 2 DM (NIDDM- Non Insulin Dependent Diabetes Mellitus) is characterized by insulin resistance, believed to be due to a defect of the insulin receptor in the cell wall, not CAUSED by "all that extra insulin floating around in your bloodstream".

Type 1diabetics may eventually develop insulin resistance, but it is not a causative factor of IDDM. A diabetic diet along with exercise may help control blood sugars, but insulin injections and possibly oral hypoglycemics are mandatory.

Type 2 diabetics may be able to control their blood sugars with diet and exercise but may also need insulin and oral meds.

Type 1 is incurable.

Type 2 may be curable, especially in the case of an overweight person losing weight.

Causative factors are either lack of insulin production in the pancreas or a defect of the insulin receptor in the cell.
  • LeanneGoingThin
    LeanneGoingThin Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    This is indeed a big problem. You can eat like crap, lose weight, but still be very unhealthy. I also think the main problem is that people don't want to take the time to create a proper meal, or don't know how to cook one.
  • LeanneGoingThin
    Options
    I have to say that during the days I eat a lot more (good) fats, I do seem to be losing more weight. Days in which I indulge in some 10% greek yoghurt, for example.
  • LeanneGoingThin
    Options
    I've been overweight all my life. Lost 16kg/35lbs so far by counting calories. I'm sure there are overweight people for whom calorie counting doesn't work, because they still eat like **** and have problems with their insulin. But for me it works perfectly and honestly I believe they're the exception. Calorie counting is a great way to become aware of what you eat and how much you should eat, even if it sometimes is unhealthy.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    ever wonder why low-carb diets are so freaking effective? and NO its not bc u eat 'fewer calories.' don't give me platitudes of: 'energy in, energy out'. none of this calorie garbage.

YES counting calories work for people who are healthy and just have a lil weight to lose, or who have not been overweight their whole lives. even some obese people, who, lucky for them do not have insulin resistance.

what is insulin resistance? It is when a body grows immune to insulin. it is a vicous cycle. the more a person spikes their sugar levels, the more extra insulin the body makes. and when theres too much insulin in the blood, the body becomes even more immune to insulin. so the next time the person spikes their sugar, the body will have to make EVEN MORE insulin.

usually this leads to diabetes if not taken care of :( and yes, it happens when a person doesn't eat healthy and eats too much cake and chocolate (like me) lol.

so no, trolls out there, i am not saying it is 'not their fault they are fat'. i'm just saying that its now harder for them to lose weight.

some people are insulin resistant just because, but a lot of times its a genetic predisposition. ].

people who have insulin resistance have to be careful not to spike sugar levels. meaning, not eat foods that will be absorbed too quickly.

this means dropping processed sugars, flour, and carbs that the body processes too quickly.

seeds, nuts and vegies are amazing but not the starchy vegies like potatos cuz those have too much sugars that the body gets to too quickly.

fruit is ok because it has a lot of fibers the body breaks down to get at the sugars, ensuring sugar gets release slowly. fruit juice r though is already broken down, and goes straight to the blood stream and spikes it.

the reason low-carb high protein diet works on obese people so magically, is because they are not eating foods that are spiking their blood sugar and causing them to resist their insulin.
    not only does this help lose weight right away, but as insulin resistance is reversible with proper diet, slowly but surely they 'fix themselves'....as long as they stay on the program.

by slowly reintroducing carbs that come from healthy, wholesome sources, weight loss can then be maintained.

i'm so sick of hearing this garbage about how CALORIES IN CALORIES OUT is the only logical explanation, and that a twinky diet is the same as eating brocolli.

NO. IT. ISN'T.

because if you stick to that twinkie diet long enough, even on 1200 cal a day, eventually lots of people will become insulin resistant and start gaining weight.

EATING HEALTHY DOES COUNT.

i am writing this to try and reach out and help pple who are having trouble losing weight counting calories. i have been in the same boat for 6 mos living on low cal not dropping weight. first i was told i was hypothyroid and put on synthroid. now i found out that it was insulin resistance effecting my bodies ability to produce hormones :( not only that, but i'm at risk for diabetes now.
    i was so so stupid. thinking i could eat pizza and chocolate as long as i 'counted my calories' and it would be fine.

putting garbage calories in out body is not the same as putting nutritious, unprocessed ones.

we play around with natures bounty and expect our bodies to process it the same way as it process natural things?

would you put leftover chicken soup in your car and expect it to run? you need to put the right fuel in or the car breaks down, no?
    Just because someone can use Google does not mean they understand biochemistry. I'm afraid this post proves it