crossfit

Options
123457»

Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I pray that someday I am as passionate *for* something as janebshaw is *against* crossfit.
  • janebshaw
    janebshaw Posts: 168
    Options
    No quality, trained, experienced fitness coach that cares about their reputation would want anything to do with an organization such as Crossfit that allows people with no education in physical fitness training beyond a 2-day Crossfit workshop be certified as a coach.

Any organization that allows people to be a "coach" after taking a 2-day workshop cares anything about quality control, or the reputation of their organization. All the Crossfit organization cares about is growing their brand by certifying people with almost no training and and raking in the money.

Yes, Crossfit has encouraged some women to get into strength training. But many more women have started strength training through programs like Les Mills Body Pump and Body Training Systems'Group Power, which are offered at many YMCAs and other gyms. Those classes are much less intimidating than Crossfit for those who are curious about strength training and looking for a good starting point..

mehmehmeh_zps4961aa19.gif

If that's all you can hear, perhaps you should change the batteries in your hearing aid.
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options

Since when is Les Mills or Group Power a heavy lifting program?

I did not say those were heavy lifting programs. I said they are strength training programs, and the weights they have available for people to lift in those classes is more than sufficient for most people's fitness needs.

Not everyone is trying to be a body builder. They just want to get some strength training in and have fun doing it.

Heavy lifting doesn't turn you into a body builder. Just saying. Especially women, we would have to eat a very specific diet in addition to training very very hard to ever start to look like a bodybuilder.
    I squat 150 and deadlift over 200. I'm not any bigger than before I started lifting. More defined, yes, but overall I'm smaller. It's how we're designed.

I did not say that heavy lifting makes women look like a body builder. I said that the level of weights people lift in those classes is enough to meet the fitness needs of most women. Even though you may enjoy heavy lifting, the idea of lifting heavy does not appeal to the majority of women. I am not interested in heavy lifting, because if you aren't willing to pay someone to "spot" your form, you can get injured pretty easy.

Doing Group Power has made me -- and numerous other women I know -- enough muscle definition to suit our needs. The weights used in those classes are enough to help women safely gain more strength and bone density without having to pay someone to "spot" us..

I dont get spotted - I drop that ****! boom! hahahaha
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    No quality, trained, experienced fitness coach that cares about their reputation would want anything to do with an organization such as Crossfit that allows people with no education in physical fitness training beyond a 2-day Crossfit workshop be certified as a coach.

Any organization that allows people to be a "coach" after taking a 2-day workshop cares anything about quality control, or the reputation of their organization. All the Crossfit organization cares about is growing their brand by certifying people with almost no training and and raking in the money.

Yes, Crossfit has encouraged some women to get into strength training. But many more women have started strength training through programs like Les Mills Body Pump and Body Training Systems'Group Power, which are offered at many YMCAs and other gyms. Those classes are much less intimidating than Crossfit for those who are curious about strength training and looking for a good starting point..

If that's all you can hear, perhaps you should change the batteries in your hearing aid.

tumblr_m6r9g8X88q1r9etf5o1_500.gif

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Doing Group Power has made me -- and numerous other women I know -- enough muscle definition to suit our needs.

Pics - or it didn't happen......
  • kevie1021
    kevie1021 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    CrossFit has the reputation for being expensive -- it's because you are paying for the training. Classes should be small, and you should feel like the trainers are with you, especially when first starting out. Check out a few different boxes so you go to a place that feels good to you. Each has a personality. Trainers will scale the workouts to meet your needs -- lower weight or reps or less time.

Keep in mind that you are competing against yourself. So you pay attention to form and go as fast/hard as you can without sacrificing that. It is easy when you see others zoom by you to try to keep up (at least for me, it was) -- play your own game. And soon you'll improve, get more flexible, stronger, etc.

Having said that, my experience has been that everyone is very supportive. When I come in last, which happened a lot in the beginning, people were waiting for me and encouraging me to continue in a safe way. I feel like we're all in this together, and appreciate the support. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I'm a little late to this party but I wanted to note my support of joining. It does cost a little more than I would like to spend, but I figure that i;m paying to get myself in great shape. I love doing it. It kicks my *kitten* every time I go there, and I'm dying during it, but I feel amazing at the end.

And definitely second the comment above about people being supportive. Prime example was just today for me. Rough workout and I was going to be the last to finish. Those who had already finished up were cheering me on, and with the last part of the workout a 200m run, one of the other guys in the gym ran it with me, pushing and encouraging me the whole time. Was awesome!
  • PomegranatePriestess
    PomegranatePriestess Posts: 2,455 Member
    Options

I have friends who require hearing aids, "Jane." Are you bashing people with physical disabilities now, too?
  • PomegranatePriestess
    PomegranatePriestess Posts: 2,455 Member
    Options
    CrossFit has the reputation for being expensive -- it's because you are paying for the training. Classes should be small, and you should feel like the trainers are with you, especially when first starting out. Check out a few different boxes so you go to a place that feels good to you. Each has a personality. Trainers will scale the workouts to meet your needs -- lower weight or reps or less time.

Keep in mind that you are competing against yourself. So you pay attention to form and go as fast/hard as you can without sacrificing that. It is easy when you see others zoom by you to try to keep up (at least for me, it was) -- play your own game. And soon you'll improve, get more flexible, stronger, etc.

Having said that, my experience has been that everyone is very supportive. When I come in last, which happened a lot in the beginning, people were waiting for me and encouraging me to continue in a safe way. I feel like we're all in this together, and appreciate the support. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I'm a little late to this party but I wanted to note my support of joining. It does cost a little more than I would like to spend, but I figure that i;m paying to get myself in great shape. I love doing it. It kicks my *kitten* every time I go there, and I'm dying during it, but I feel amazing at the end.

And definitely second the comment above about people being supportive. Prime example was just today for me. Rough workout and I was going to be the last to finish. Those who had already finished up were cheering me on, and with the last part of the workout a 200m run, one of the other guys in the gym ran it with me, pushing and encouraging me the whole time. Was awesome!

This is the kind of feedback I love to see in the threads: someone who has actually done CrossFit and has positive experiences to share.

So different from someone who has never even tried CrossFit acting like an authority on the subject.
  • Runfaster14
    Runfaster14 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Don't be so touchy if people disagree with you. Goodness. Everyone is different when it comes to exercise. That is why they offer free classes. Try it. One person wanted some guidance and look what happened.
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 10,149 MFP Staff
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for the locking of this thread.

The forum guidelines include these items:

2. No Hi-Jacking, Trolling, or Flame-baiting

Please stay on-topic within a forum topic. Off-topic or derogatory remarks are disrespectful. Please either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or move on without posting. This includes posts that encourage the drama in a topic to escalate, or posts intended to incite an uproar from the community.

1. No Attacks or Insults and No Reciprocation

a) Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. You can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but you cannot attack the messenger. This includes attacks against the user’s spelling or command of written English, or belittling a user for posting a duplicate topic.
    b) If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, you will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself or a friend is not an excuse! Do not take matters into your own hands – instead, use the Report Post link to report an attack and we will be happy to handle the situation for you.

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

At our discretion, this locked thread may be deleted entirely in the near future.

With respect,
    Olivia
    MyFitnessPal Community Manager
This discussion has been closed.