STOP Under-Eating Folks!!

Options
I haven't been around here at MFP for long - but one thing I've learned from all the reading I've done here, is that you won't lose more weight if you undereat!!

Why go hungry?
Why put yourself in starvation mode?
Why set 1200 calories as your goal - and even then under-eat?
Why don't you eat your exercise calories?
Why don't you plan ahead?

I see so many posts:
I'm starving!!
I'm eating 1200 calories and not losing - what should I do?
I haven't lost in six weeks - help!!
I'm eating 1200 and exercising 6 days a week for 3 hours a day and not losing??!!
I want chocolate!!
Help me - I'm going to binge!!
I hate veggies!!

Read, Ask Questions, Listen and Learn!!
It's not rocket science.
It's not a race.
It's not a diet.

I'm taking it slowly. I have an appointment with my nutritionist next week, and expect to post another loss.
Don't know if it will be two pounds, five pounds or ten - I only weigh once a month - so I'm confident it will be a loss because I've been eating pretty much on target - over a little bit a day here or there - but not over by much and only two or three days this month.
I'm not hungry; I'm not starving myself; I eat foods I like and enjoy.
I don't get support from SO - but I come here and get it.
I plan ahead.
I work my plan. :blushing:
Life happens - if I have a bad day, I don't agonize over it.
I know it's not going to happen overnight.
I'm happy!

Go with the flow! :flowerforyou:

Don't worry - be happy! :bigsmile:

Replies

• SkinnyGirlPending
    Options
    Don't tell other people what to do. People will eat however they want. You assume a lot about people.
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    One thing I've learned also is that the starvation mode thing is a myth, but depends on who you ask or what you read.
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Don't tell other people what to do. People will eat however they want. You assume a lot about people.

And this.
  • wanttoloseweight4
    Options
    excuse me? i eat 1200 calories and lose weight just fine everyone is different not everyone needs to eat 2000 calories to lose weight!
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I ignore all "starving" complaints and the "binging" ones that follow. Don't worry about them. They don't worry about you. :noway:
  • Lysander666
    Lysander666 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Eating is a very personal thing. This is why a lot of people don't open their diaries [myself included]. A lot of these people are trying to hold on to - or break - lifetimes habits. It's not easy.

I had a relatively easy ride with weight loss. Others may not, and the mental strain could be quite tough, depending on their reasons for having to lose. People will just do things their own way for something like this.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    excuse me? i eat 1200 calories and lose weight just fine everyone is different not everyone needs to eat 2000 calories to lose weight!

This is true. You probably also aren't one of the people who is constantly having issues and posting for advice then not taking it...which, I think was part of the OP's point. Not everyone can eat a high calorie amount and lose, but when you're doing 1200 and netting 500, not losing, exhausted, and always hungry something is wrong.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Your post is very sensible. Thank you.
  • wanttoloseweight4
    Options
    seriously to many people on here think there so much more informed about weight loss then anyone else! i ignore people who tell me im gonna shut my metabo down 1200 calories is fine for someone my size!
  • ggxx100
    ggxx100 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode is a term that is abused on here...True starvation mode is in fact, when your body is actually starving (i.e. feeding on internal organs after it has burned through all else to survive). Look it up...it's not a magical occurrence as soon as you eat less than 1300 calories.

That being said, the 1200 mark is mainly about macros. It seems very difficult for the average adult to get the proper nutrient needs with such a small amount of calories.

I couldn't function on 1200 calories, but I cannot comment on other's intake as I don't know their height, weight, lifestyle, and activity level. Everyone is different, so it's best to focus on what works for you and how you're eating in order to get to your goal.
  • wanttoloseweight4
    Options

This is true. You probably also aren't one of the people who is constantly having issues and posting for advice then not taking it...which, I think was part of the OP's point. Not everyone can eat a high calorie amount and lose, but when you're doing 1200 and netting 500, not losing, exhausted, and always hungry something is wrong.

i agree with that if thats the case then yeah you should be eatting more but i eat 1200 sometimes a little more becasue i work out so much and i more a lot of energy so if people are complaining they must be eating way less then what they say they are
  • PartyKardy
    PartyKardy Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    You never know what the proper calories are for people. I happen to be very short, so my calories are set at 1400 currently, who knows that may change but because of my height thats a proper amount for me to eat and I don't feel hungry.

I have lost 37lbs, and am still losing consistently, everyone's body is different.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Your post makes a lot of sense

prepare to have hangry people yell at you over it.
  • MrsBioChem
    MrsBioChem Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Some people eat 1200 calories a day because their TDEE is only 1520. So... a 320 calorie deficit; 0.45 lbs a week loss; TDEE - 20%.

Also, your body is going to use calories no matter what you eat. It adjust to you level of fitness, and to some extent nutritional intake, as to how it uses those calories. Most marathoners put on weight in the season. Just saying.
  • luly727
    luly727 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    All of above ^^. Everyone is differant..Speaking only from my experience, always was overweight..2 yrs ago I set out to lose weight and I did it. I lost 55 lbs and was down to a size 8-10 jeans..I set my own goals and I set my way of eating. I didnt starve myself BUT i didnt go over 1200 cal a day.. I didnt go to the gym every single day, lift weights etc. I did what I COULD DO, I walked when I could around the block, did go to a gym a few times etc. AND it worked for me..
    Not everyone is the same. If I eat chocolate ( my addiction) or a donut or whatever, I CAN NOT STOP at 1, and then thats it for me, I fall off the wagon with the "oh what the hell attitude" So i have to do what I know works for me and keeps me in control of my situation...
    Please dont group everyone the same, not everyone can or will lose weight the same way. No all plans work for all people.

This site is for support and motivation and information..Peace out :)
  • Jewels_in_the_rough
    Jewels_in_the_rough Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3 and 150lbs. 1200 to me is going to be a lot different than 1200 for someone who is much taller and weighs much more than me. The only way I lose weight is if I eat between 1200 and 1300 calories a day. I've tried upping calories and it just didn't work. At all. And 1200 calories from lean meat, vegetables, etc is going to go a lot farther for me than 1800 calories of junk, just because I 'need' extra calories. I'm not hungry. I'm losing at a decent pace. I control my cravings. If eating more works for you, awesome, enjoy. But everyone's body is not the same. Please realize this and stop assuming you know what is best for everyone.
  • wanttoloseweight4
    Options
    Some people eat 1200 calories a day because their TDEE is only 1520. So... a 320 calorie deficit; 0.45 lbs a week loss; TDEE - 20%.

Also, your body is going to use calories no matter what you eat. It adjust to you level of fitness, and to some extent nutritional intake, as to how it uses those calories. Most marathoners put on weight in the season. Just saying.

my tdee put me at eating 2000 a day to loe weight becasue i workout so much but all that was happening was me gaining once i dropped my cal intake down i was losing everyone is differernt we shouldnt judge people either way!
  • lisa9803
    lisa9803 Posts: 39
    Options
    I agree with this post to some extent. It's probably more for the people who complain and look for advice, but then don't take the advice they are given. To the person who said starvation mode doesn't exist, you are wrong. It does exist. And people automatically think that eating a lot means high-calories - it doesn't. I can eat a HUGE salad with spinach, steak, veggies, and consume less calories that a measly pizza pocket, and be much more full. It's about what you eat, and how you are feeding your metabolism than about the amount of calories you consume.

Stress also causes weight gain, so why stress about how many calories you're eating, when the stress alone will cause you to gain weight?? Doesn't make sense to me.

I agree - don't worry be happy....and healthy :)
  • musicmint
    musicmint Posts: 469
    Options

I agree lol
  • Lochlyn_D
    Lochlyn_D Posts: 492 Member
    Options

I agree with you. My doctor has put me on a diet of 1200 calories a day and it is the only thing that is worked for me and I've tried a lot of "diets".

Eating 2000 or even 1500 makes me feel fat and heavy and bloated all day long. I have no energy with that many calories. I just end up sitting on the couch and playing video games.

At 1200, I have energy to clean house and go for walks. It's a lifestyle I can see maintaining for myself, whereas eating more than that is something I have to force myself to do.

2w52ja8.jpg