STOP Under-Eating Folks!!

Options

Replies

• Zilla100
    Zilla100 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    excuse me? i eat 1200 calories and lose weight just fine everyone is different not everyone needs to eat 2000 calories to lose weight!

I do too. It all depends on what you're eating.
  • Missyb322
    Missyb322 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    First of all, everyone is different and loses weight differently. I personally have to eat a low caloric intake and restrict simple carbs to lose. That being said...I have lost 20# in 7 weeks and never felt better or had more energy. Sure I could up my calories by eating things that are better left alone but then I would not lose, would get discouraged and want to quit. So everyone knows themselves and does what's better for them. If I'm not taking in a lot of carbs...I don't get hungry. So I will not be the one on here crying that I'm starving and not losing weight because neither of those statements are true...
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Had a lot to say, then decided not to :smile:

I saw it and was replying because I agreed but it got too long and complicated so I decided not to as well! :D I've done both ..1200 got me most of the way. I don't really care either way though how someones doing it, just find what you can adhere to.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    1omi7.jpg
  • 36jessica
    36jessica Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    excuse me? i eat 1200 calories and lose weight just fine everyone is different not everyone needs to eat 2000 calories to lose weight!

I do too. It all depends on what you're eating.

Yes!
  • 36jessica
    Options
    First of all, everyone is different and loses weight differently. I personally have to eat a low caloric intake and restrict simple carbs to lose. That being said...I have lost 20# in 7 weeks and never felt better or had more energy. Sure I could up my calories by eating things that are better left alone but then I would not lose, would get discouraged and want to quit. So everyone knows themselves and does what's better for them. If I'm not taking in a lot of carbs...I don't get hungry. So I will not be the one on here crying that I'm starving and not losing weight because neither of those statements are true...

Very true. I still have a daily calorie goal at 1200+exercise cal., but having been ordered by my doctor to limit/eliminiate simple carbs, I find I'm a lot less hungry and more energetic. So, as far as I can tell, it's what my calories are made up of tha makes the difference.
  • 36jessica
    Options
    Had a lot to say, then decided not to :smile:

I saw it and was replying because I agreed but it got too long and complicated so I decided not to as well! :D I've done both ..1200 got me most of the way. I don't really care either way though how someones doing it, just find what you can adhere to.

I agree. Well said.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Your post makes a lot of sense

prepare to have hangry people yell at you over it.

Hangry, nice!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah look at all the hangry people..... ahhhhhhhhhhh look at all the hangry people.....

All the hangry people, where do they all come from?

All the hangry people, where do they all belong?

Ah...look at all the angry people, where do they all belong? ack... now the Eleanor Rigby song is stuck.

I am classifying "hangry" as the most annoying and dip****ish word on MFP ...
  • senami632
    senami632 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Lol. I eat 1200 or less on most days and I have lost 46 pounds. And no, I'm not in starvation mode, neither is it "all water weight". Stop telling people what to do. We all know our bodies best and we all know what works best for us individually.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Lol. I eat 1200 or less on most days and I have lost 46 pounds. And no, I'm not in starvation mode, neither is it "all water weight". Stop telling people what to do. We all know our bodies best and we all know what works best for us individually.

Then the OP isn't talking about you. Not all discussions about 1200 calories are about all people who eat that way.

Also so much for this thread dying. Now the cycle of bad reading comprehension can begin again. Let me grab my snacks.
  • ehsan517
    ehsan517 Posts: 114
    Options
    1200 cals.........a NIGHTMARE for me.
    keep eating 1200 cals for a prolonged period of time thou..you will get "interesting" results eventually.

but hey, its every person to himself/herself. do whatever the hell you wanna do. i choose to eat more and lose fat at a healthy rate making my eating habit a lifestyle change for the good.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Your post makes a lot of sense

prepare to have hangry people yell at you over it.

Hangry, nice!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah look at all the hangry people..... ahhhhhhhhhhh look at all the hangry people.....

All the hangry people, where do they all come from?

All the hangry people, where do they all belong?

Ah...look at all the angry people, where do they all belong? ack... now the Eleanor Rigby song is stuck.

I am classifying "hangry" as the most annoying and dip****ish word on MFP ...

Seconded
  • dbratton87
    dbratton87 Posts: 55 Member
    Options

Exactly! I have lost 36 # since Jan 1 eating 1,200-1,300 cals a day and I'm still consistently losing. I weigh less every week. And I'm not starving in the least. Believe me, I KNOW what works for me. This ain't my first rodeo, I have been at this for years. Nothing has ever worked for me before. I tried eating more and cried my eyes out in frustration wondering why I wasn't losing. I have come to the conclusion that, without medical tests, trial and error is the only way to figure out your BMR. I think it varies hugely from person to person and no online calculator can ever get close. Mine must just be very low, which would make sense as to why I was overweight to begin with. Anyway, I am so over the notion that there's only one "right" way to lose weight. As long as you are eating in a nutritionally positive way and not eating dangerously low cals or taking harmful pills, if you are losing then its the "right" way for you. People's bodies are just so different. You can't tell is that your way is best cause it works for you cause I PROMISE, I tried your way and it doesn't work for me.
  • dbratton87
    dbratton87 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    but hey, its every person to himself/herself. do whatever the hell you wanna do. i choose to eat more and lose fat at a healthy rate making my eating habit a lifestyle change for the good.

Umm, so do I. I AM losing at a healthy rate (about a lb or less a week) and this is permanent. Once I reach maintenance I plan to stick with pretty much how I eat now but maybe loosen the reins a little more often or up my cals to 1,400 or so. I can't really eat more than that anyway and there's no need to. That's a healthy amount for me.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options

Then the OP isn't talking about you. Not all discussions about 1200 calories are about all people who eat that way.
    Maybe you need to re read the original post. The poster did not differentiate they just made a blanket statement.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I haven't been around here at MFP for long - but one thing I've learned from all the reading I've done here, is that you won't lose more weight if you undereat!!

Why go hungry?
    Why put yourself in starvation mode?
    Why set 1200 calories as your goal - and even then under-eat?
    Why don't you eat your exercise calories?
    Why don't you plan ahead?

I see so many posts:
    I'm starving!!
    I'm eating 1200 calories and not losing - what should I do?
    I haven't lost in six weeks - help!!
    I'm eating 1200 and exercising 6 days a week for 3 hours a day and not losing??!!
    I want chocolate!!
    Help me - I'm going to binge!!
    I hate veggies!!

If this strikes you as a blanket statement about 1200 calorie diets and not a comment on people who eat lower calorie diets and then complain about not losing, a comment on people who are hungry at 1200, people who don't eat back their workout calories, people who eat below 1200, and people who eat 1200 and then binge/are unhappy then you're ability to read is is truly lacking.

Never did the OP say "all people who eat this low are like this", but rather gave a point by point list of certain habits exhibited by people on these forums who eat at 1200.

On the subject of blanket statements, that isn't a term without definition and can't just be fit to any situation situation where you don't like what someone said. The OP uses none of the hallmark terms of a blanket statement (all, everyone, always, none and other such absolute terms).
  • raspberrytartgirl
    raspberrytartgirl Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    wow that is amazing. I am 5"4 inches tall. went from 250 to my 175 pounds.
    I'll keep doing what I'm doing, it's obviously working. 130 lbs and counting! 1200 calories a day here, I'm also short and I guess older haha.
  • savannahvv
    savannahvv Posts: 3 Member
    Options

Me too! Some people require a lower amount of calories to see progress. I'm 5'0, if I ate 2000 calories a day, not only would I not lose weight, but I would gain.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    1omi7.jpg
  • smilesalot1969
    Options
    why why WHY do people suddenly feel the need to preach to everyone just because theyve gone on a diet!?! If they've posted asking for advice FINE give your opinion, but there's no need to jump up in a pulpit and start preaching how other people should live just because YOU have gone on a diet. I'll eat how i want ( no im not hangry) and if i need advice i'll post asking for it :grumble: