STOP Under-Eating Folks!!

Options

Replies

• llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Yeah? And what about us who's calories are automatically set at 1200 or in my case 1250 bc of my height and weight and how much I need to lose?? Did you not take this into account? I can easily eat 1800 cals and still be under because I love to workout. If someone is consistently eating only like 1000-900 cals then call them out on it..not those of us who know what the f*** we're doing.

Done rant :grumble:

You eat back your exercise calories? Then the OP's post wasn't directed at you, assuming you aren't consistently shaving too many calories off MFP's overly generous estimation of your exercise burn.

Well... At least I never thought for a moment that it was directed at me or people like me. When MFP automatically set my goal at 1200, they intended that I net 1200 after my exercise calories had been taken into account. They never intended that I declare myself to be sedentary and then jack up my deficit with hundreds of uncompensated exercise calories. But a lot of people do just that, and not necessarily because they know what the f*** they're doing. Some do, of course - the tiny, the old, the truly sedentary, those with certain metabolic problems - but if you really fall outside the limits assumed by MFP's algorithm then you should be looking elsewhere for guidance in setting your calories goals.
  • Jade_105
    Jade_105 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I haven't been around here at MFP for long - but one thing I've learned from all the reading I've done here, is that you won't lose more weight if you undereat!!

Why go hungry?
    Why put yourself in starvation mode?
    Why set 1200 calories as your goal - and even then under-eat?
    Why don't you eat your exercise calories?
    Why don't you plan ahead?

I see so many posts:
    I'm starving!!
    I'm eating 1200 calories and not losing - what should I do?
    I haven't lost in six weeks - help!!
    I'm eating 1200 and exercising 6 days a week for 3 hours a day and not losing??!!
    I want chocolate!!
    Help me - I'm going to binge!!
    I hate veggies!!

Read, Ask Questions, Listen and Learn!!
    It's not rocket science.
    It's not a race.
    It's not a diet.

I'm taking it slowly. I have an appointment with my nutritionist next week, and expect to post another loss.
    Don't know if it will be two pounds, five pounds or ten - I only weigh once a month - so I'm confident it will be a loss because I've been eating pretty much on target - over a little bit a day here or there - but not over by much and only two or three days this month.
    I'm not hungry; I'm not starving myself; I eat foods I like and enjoy.
    I don't get support from SO - but I come here and get it.
    I plan ahead.
    I work my plan. :blushing:
    Life happens - if I have a bad day, I don't agonize over it.
    I know it's not going to happen overnight.
    I'm happy!

Go with the flow! :flowerforyou:

Don't worry - be happy! :bigsmile:
    \
    this is the internet... don't concern yourself with what other people do/eat worry about yourself, if you are here for weightloss than do that, if not maybe you should take up another forum or hobby
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    Your post makes a lot of sense

prepare to have hangry people yell at you over it.

Hangry, nice!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah look at all the hangry people..... ahhhhhhhhhhh look at all the hangry people.....

All the hangry people, where do they all come from?

All the hangry people, where do they all belong?

Ah...look at all the angry people, where do they all belong? ack... now the Eleanor Rigby song is stuck.
  • jrniven
    jrniven Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I fast 18 hours a day. I eat very healthy. I work out 6x a week. I have never felt better in my life.
  • ggxx100
    ggxx100 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Your post makes a lot of sense

prepare to have hangry people yell at you over it.

Hangry, nice!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah look at all the hangry people..... ahhhhhhhhhhh look at all the hangry people.....

All the hangry people, where do they all come from?

All the hangry people, where do they all belong?

Always a perfect time to sing the Beatles :laugh:

Also, I've eaten well over 1200 calories by noon...and I'm still so unbelievably hangry it's ridiculous.
  • Garlicmash
    Garlicmash Posts: 208
    Options
    If some one is eating and exercising in ways that annoy you then un friend them or don't read any posts to do with low amounts of calories.
    some ppl on here young and old have health problems and can't exercise.
    If they don't understand about the body and how it works with food then tell them how it works... if they ask .

I try to ignore anything I know will annoy me.
    I didn't join this to get angry at strangers.
  • angelahammon
    angelahammon Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    When i first started to loose weight i was set at 1390 calories to loose a pound a week, iv almost reached my goal, i have started to increase my calls to 1620 to loose half a pound a week, i have began doing more exercise classes and at times i maybe only be netting 1100 calls and i honestly feel full, i think everyone is different and we just need to stick to what works for us, but i dont think the op was being nasty in her post,
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Bet you wish you hadn't said anything huh lol
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I agree with you. Allow me to clarify. If a person on maintenance at 1600 calories eats lean protein, vegetables, and whole grains daily, they won't be hungry and they'll maintain the weight. If they eat 1600 calories of Mc Fries every day, they'll starve--and possibly gain weight due to all of the gross fat.
    Please tell me you aren't serious? You can't actually believe that eating fat makes you fat?

And to your post saying you don't expect to plateau, most people I've seen on the forum say they drop around 25-30lbish then they can't lose any more after that unless they eat ridiculously low amounts. I plateaued after 32lb and after I started eating more to try and bulk I lost another couple of pounds. But good luck to you :)
  • Annerk1
    Annerk1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I agree with you. Allow me to clarify. If a person on maintenance at 1600 calories eats lean protein, vegetables, and whole grains daily, they won't be hungry and they'll maintain the weight. If they eat 1600 calories of Mc Fries every day, they'll starve--and possibly gain weight due to all of the gross fat.
    Please tell me you aren't serious? You can't actually believe that eating fat makes you fat?

Of course that alone doesn't make you fat, but it's not going to allow you to burn calories to maintain your weight.
    And to your post saying you don't expect to plateau, most people I've seen on the forum say they drop around 25-30lbish then they can't lose any more after that unless they eat ridiculously low amounts. I plateaued after 32lb and after I started eating more to try and bulk I lost another couple of pounds. But good luck to you :)

I've already lost over half the weight I need to.--I'm already at a healthy BMI I didn't have a ton of weight to lose to begin with. Two pounds a week with exercise and a healthy diet is not going to cause a plateau. If I lost 32 more pounds I'd have either a medical problem or an eating disorder.
  • frankizoy
    frankizoy Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    she's just trying to help people. there are a lot of people that only eat 1200 and that is not enough for them so the don't lose weight the way they should. but there are also people who only eat 1200 and they should eat more and they don't lose weight properly, it depends on the person
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Yeah? And what about us who's calories are automatically set at 1200 or in my case 1250 bc of my height and weight and how much I need to lose?? Did you not take this into account? I can easily eat 1800 cals and still be under because I love to workout. If someone is consistently eating only like 1000-900 cals then call them out on it..not those of us who know what the f*** we're doing.

You eat back your exercise calories? Then the OP's post wasn't directed at you, assuming you aren't consistently shaving too many calories off MFP's overly generous estimation of your exercise burn.

Well... At least I never thought for a moment that it was directed at me or people like me. When MFP automatically set my goal at 1200, they intended that I net 1200 after my exercise calories had been taken into account. They never intended that I declare myself to be sedentary and then jack up my deficit with hundreds of uncompensated exercise calories. But a lot of people do just that, and not necessarily because they know what the f*** they're doing. Some do, of course - the tiny, the old, the truly sedentary, those with certain metabolic problems - but if you really fall outside the limits assumed by MFP's algorithm then you should be looking elsewhere for guidance in setting your calories goals.

You would think people wouldread the op and go "Hey, I'm not hungry or starving on 1200, I'm not stalled and wondering why, I'm eating my exercise calories, this thread isn't about me!" But instead they see '1200 calories' and lose all common sense, reading comprehension, and logical reasoning. They claim they aren't hungry and live fine, yet they're so defensive they attack an op who literally wrote out, point by point, who her comments were about.

If you're fine on 1200 this isnt for you. I dont know how much more clearly that could be laid out. Folks need to L2read.
  • HotrodsGirl0107
    HotrodsGirl0107 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people on this thread need to take refresher course in reading comprehension. Just because the post had the number 1200 in it and you may eat 1200 that doesn't mean the post was talking about you. Get it? Got it? No probably not...
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    You never know what the proper calories are for people. I happen to be very short, so my calories are set at 1400 currently, who knows that may change but because of my height thats a proper amount for me to eat and I don't feel hungry.

I have lost 37lbs, and am still losing consistently, everyone's body is different.

Amen. :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Of course that alone doesn't make you fat, but it's not going to allow you to burn calories to maintain your weight.
    No, eating fat doesn't make you fat, fat just contains more calories per gram of fat than carbs and protein do. I could live off cheese and still loose weight, I'd just be exceptionally unhealthy and feel awful all the time. Having less calories than you burn makes you loose fat, has nothing to do with the fat consumed.
  • sati18
    sati18 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    The thing is that binging is not always related to hunger either... For a lot of people its emotional and can occur whatever calories thwyre eating. I binge more with a higher calorie allowance. If you dont feel that you can offer non judgemental advice to someone who is struggling without automatically putting it down to their allowance then dont read the threads. Op i believe you didnt mean to offend but when you basically bullet point a bunch of dos and donts it males them sound like orders. and when i read your post it really did seem to be giving a very one size fits all or set of advice without considering that there might be other options for the individual person. everyone should be able to ask for support and one bad day doesnt mean that their entire diet is wrong.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

You would think people wouldread the op and go "Hey, I'm not hungry or starving on 1200, I'm not stalled and wondering why, I'm eating my exercise calories, this thread isn't about me!" But instead they see '1200 calories' and lose all common sense, reading comprehension, and logical reasoning. They claim they aren't hungry and live fine, yet they're so defensive they attack an op who literally wrote out, point by point, who her comments were about.

If you're fine on 1200 this isnt for you. I dont know how much more clearly that could be laid out. Folks need to L2read.

Yay, ^this.
  • REDI4CHANGE60
    REDI4CHANGE60 Posts: 170
    Options
    I respectfully disagree with you. You say that you have 182 pounds to lose and you have lost 12 ... obviously you can eat more calories and still lose weight than someone with 20 or 30 pounds to lose. I have been where you are now and losing weight was much easier then ... it gets harder the less weight you have to lose and that usually means less calories and more exercise. When you get down to the last 20 pounds to lose ... let's revisit the issue and you let us know how many calories it takes to maintain a steady weight loss. Good luck in your journey.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I respectfully disagree with you. You say that you have 182 pounds to lose and you have lost 12 ... obviously you can eat more calories and still lose weight than someone with 20 or 30 pounds to lose. I have been where you are now and losing weight was much easier then ... it gets harder the less weight you have to lose and that usually means less calories and more exercise. When you get down to the last 20 pounds to lose ... let's revisit the issue and you let us know how many calories it takes to maintain a steady weight loss. Good luck in your journey.

1650 on rest days, 1800-1950 on workout days, losing a touch over a pound a week since coming back to mfp and eating more. (For a total of six pounds in four weeks)

My goal is 23 pounds at max, probably less. Does that make my view more worthwhile to you? :huh: