STOP Under-Eating Folks!!

Options

Replies

• kanadian_bear
    Options
    Wow - there sure are A LOT of angry, hungry people on this site. Calm down everyone .. go have a donut. :)
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    Well, what can I say?

I'm sorry if my post offended you - I certainly didn't intend to ruffle feathers or insult anyone. And I didn't mean to sound preachy.

I'm just happy I found MFP, and I'm thankful for all the information people have shared, and the support offered. I guess I just wanted to share too.

So again - my apologies to anyone I've insulted. And thank you to others who have commented. :flowerforyou:

Mary

It's a sensible post, and you're far more gracious than the forums deserve. :drinker:
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Well, what can I say?

I'm sorry if my post offended you - I certainly didn't intend to ruffle feathers or insult anyone. And I didn't mean to sound preachy.

I'm just happy I found MFP, and I'm thankful for all the information people have shared, and the support offered. I guess I just wanted to share too.

So again - my apologies to anyone I've insulted. And thank you to others who have commented. :flowerforyou:

Mary

It's a sensible post, and you're far more gracious than the forums deserve. :drinker:
    Completely agree.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Well, what can I say?

Mary

:flowerforyou:

Its a touchy subject around here. I get where you were coming from and that your intentions were well meaning.
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    Your post makes a lot of sense

prepare to have hangry people yell at you over it.

^^^ this!

I don't understand why people are so quick to defend 1200 calorie diets against the advice "you know, the vast majority of people can eat more than that and still lose weight, and lose it more easily without the risk of bingeing, and actually maintain their goal weight more easily when they get there". but they are. maybe they enjoy self-deprivation.

a small minority of people, e.g. short, small framed, sedentary older women, will find that 1200 cals/day is the right amount to lose on, because their TDEE may be very low. But it worries me when 20 somethings who are doing loads of exercise are eating only 1200 cals/day

im short and small framed but i workout a lot im in my 20s and i eat 12-14 a day and im not hungry so i dunno why you feel like everyone needs to eat more then that and i dont binge if i want something i eat it i just eat a smaller portion of it!
    Then you have it all figured out, and this post is not about you. Still, you feel the need to reply to every poster who advocates eating more. Why?
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Well, what can I say?

Mary

I am really confused at many of the responses. All the OP was saying is that you don't have to starve yourselves and you can take it slow. I don't think it was meant to be at all negative. She has discovered these things and wanted to share them, because many people think they have to lose as much weight as possible in as short a time as possible, and can end up making themselves miserable, uncomfortable or ill.

She wasn't saying anyone HAS to do anything - just that losing weight doesn't have to be a miserable experience.
  • nogoldilocs
    nogoldilocs Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    To those who eat 1200 or whatever number of calories and lose weight and are healthy and happy and not hungry or bingeing, I don't think this post was for you. It seems that the OP was talking to those who are not happy or successful with that approach. I didn't read more into it than that.
  • kitticus15
    kitticus15 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I think people are being quite rude and nasty to a comment that has been said over and over again...

"stop under eating" my Doctor told me this, this is the real reason weight loss plateaus for SOME not ALL people...

calories in and calories out are different for everyone, we can not measure exactly how many calories we consume or burn, as we do not do the full calorie equation and practical...

please remember to lose weight is all on the border of sensibility... healthy nutritious food in... movement and activity out... and eventually you find the right balance and lose weight....

I am not saying anyone is right or wrong, I am saying everyone is different, as for smaller people needing less, I eat roughly around 1300 a day to lose weight, thats an average over the week and I am 5'2 and 44 years old, I gained weight eating less than 1200 cos I was tired and lethargic, once activity was added I needed more...
  • DTCarroll246
    DTCarroll246 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Great post..you are so right :)
  • Tamm04
    Tamm04 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    So funny because someone posted something very similar to this and everyone was like YEAH!! and now someone else posts it and everyone is like UM NO!

[img]http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/ad263/strawberryturtle/GIF Album/tumblr_lm1uxuLml31qh9y1d.gif[/img]

I don't have much to add....but this bird is adorable. It so matches what you said.
  • 08kat
    08kat Posts: 51
    Options
    AMEN!!
  • phyllisgehrke
    phyllisgehrke Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I have a 1200 calorie diet and usually only can eat 1150 calories.
    I am not in Starvation Mode

I am 66 years old and retired and have bad knees and arthritis in my back and spine.
    Recently I cannot put pressure on my left foot, going to the doctor to see what that is.
    So my exercise is very limited. I walk 20 mins a day and do step exercises on my Wii.

I have lost 6 pounds since I started, and only have 9 more pounds to go
  • mamosh81
    mamosh81 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    One thing I've learned also is that the starvation mode thing is a myth, but depends on who you ask or what you read.

this and i dont believe in force feeding myself when i am full :flowerforyou: but i also dont support those crazy 500 cal diets that will never last eat when you are hungry and stop when you are full thats what i am trying to learn so i can keep that up for the rest of my life without having to log every bite i take
  • Annerk1
    Annerk1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Well, what can I say?

Mary

I am really confused at many of the responses. All the OP was saying is that you don't have to starve yourselves and you can take it slow. I don't think it was meant to be at all negative. She has discovered these things and wanted to share them, because many people think they have to lose as much weight as possible in as short a time as possible, and can end up making themselves miserable, uncomfortable or ill.

She wasn't saying anyone HAS to do anything - just that losing weight doesn't have to be a miserable experience.

It didn't come off that way to me. Rather it seemed sanctimonious and "my way or the highway." Her way might work for some, but let me tell you, with only 30-some pounds to lose to begin with, why on earth would I take the freaking slow boat to China route and remain fat and frustrated?

My weight gain was due to a medical problem that got progressively worse and was finally diagnosed and treated. I'm on my way back to the size 6 that I maintained for years, and am adding in some additional exercise for better tone and to ward off age related medical problems like osteoperosis. I don't go hungry or binge. Frankly my BMI is well within the healthy range, I could stop "dieting" right now, but I want a supermodel body. Given my frame and overall health, having less than 20% body fat is a doable goal for me. I don't need someone preaching to tell me I'm doing it wrong. The reality is that I seem to be the one doing it right.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options

When you think about it, you gain weight by OVER eating, so you HAVE to Under-eat to lose it! Simple science there!

That isn't science, and no, you don't. You have to eat at a moderate calorie deficit, and move more.

I don't know why you read the OP's post as "preaching".
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different... For me personally I try and eat around 1900 and am maintaining (5'4 130lbs) I'd starve on 1200 but again that's just me.

The key point here is that you are on MAINTENANCE. People who are trying to lose weight, must eat at a calorie deficit to do so. No, it doesn't have to be a huge deficit, but 500 cals less per day for a 1 pound a week loss, would put your calorie level at 1400, if you were needing to lose weight. That is only 200 cals above where you say you would 'starve'. And if you had extra fat stores, which you don't, you could eat at a much lower calorie level if you needed to, to lose the extra fat.

Long story short- you are at a healthy weight and can't really compare yourself to someone who is significantly overweight and needing to eat at a deficit.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
  • dannyXoxo
    dannyXoxo Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming you have quite a bit of weight to lose until you reach your based on your ticker.... Just because someone reaches a plateau DOES NOT mean they are under eating! The closer you are to your goal the harder weight loss becomes and sometimes it isn't because of the amount of food a person eats . Just because your weight loss journey has been smooth sailing so far doesn't mean you won't stall!
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    You need to undereat for your body in order to get rid of fat of and use up fat

its called eating at a deficient?

Or we would just be maintaining or gaining :)

Wish i was at the maintaining phase though
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft 1 and my calories (TDEE - 20%) is 1787