STOP Under-Eating Folks!!

Options

Replies

• cherryd69
    cherryd69 Posts: 340
    Options
    This thread...

dead-horse.gif

HAHA! Love it, thank you... my laptop is now wearing my mint hot chocolate :(

Im on 1290 a day (but i eat back most of my exercise calories and get upto almost 1600)... yay im not in the 1200 group!! :laugh:

Tbh, i dont care what others are doing, this is my journey not theirs and ill do it my way.
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    1omi7.jpg
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options

I am classifying "hangry" as the most annoying and dip****ish word on MFP ...

Seconded

Thirded!
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    For me beginning of the week (Mon,Tues) I usually eat just a bit under or above 1200.
    Then as the week goes on and I either miss sleep or need more energy I start to eat 1200 plus all my burned calories.
    That is what keeps my tummy happy and works for me.
  • arl1286
    arl1286 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3 and 150lbs. 1200 to me is going to be a lot different than 1200 for someone who is much taller and weighs much more than me. The only way I lose weight is if I eat between 1200 and 1300 calories a day. I've tried upping calories and it just didn't work. At all. And 1200 calories from lean meat, vegetables, etc is going to go a lot farther for me than 1800 calories of junk, just because I 'need' extra calories. I'm not hungry. I'm losing at a decent pace. I control my cravings. If eating more works for you, awesome, enjoy. But everyone's body is not the same. Please realize this and stop assuming you know what is best for everyone.

This. As a contrast, I'm 5'10 and if I eat more than 1500, I blow up like a balloon.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    bahh! I can undereat or overeat and I'm always bout 100 pounds. 97 low, 107 high. Put that it in your formula. Compltely sedentary.
    Lieing in my bed most of the day, broken collar bone and shoulder.

* the usual disclaimer - I've never dieted for weight loss.
  • Losingthedamnweight
    Losingthedamnweight Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Lol wow. When I first saw the op's post there were no replies and I knew people would take it offensively. Not because the op was trying to be some nutrition expert, but because if you don't take a very humble tone when discussing things, people will look for reasons to be offended because they don't like to be told what to do by someone they don't already respect.

If op would've worded it differently as in "I've noticed some of you having problems losing and in my opinion it can be because you have underfed yourself. I think if you upped your calories, you would see better results" the replies would be very different

Lets just all agree on this: different people require different calories and 1200 is not "starving". Some people get by just fine on it but there are indeed some people who exercise too much who create too large of a deficit that 1200 is not enough. And when that happens, their weight can stall for a bit

Cool?
  • hmg90
    hmg90 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I agree to an extent in terms of people who have already lost weight and have stopped. Especially when they are slim. I am 22 and now losing a few vanity pounds. The first ones came off easily, and now it's getting harder. Bodies are logical - they will hold on to your kilos, just, you know, in case you have to go through a long cold winter without food. If a person is not overweight, have lost quite a bit already and are eating 1000 calories a day, they will often stop losing.

So it depends on the person. Some people are more comfortable losing weight over a longer period of time, whereas some will be demotivated by a 0,3 lbs loss per week. A big part of weight loss is related to psyche and motivation. It also depends on age, gender and lifestyle.
    In general, people will trust their own experience rather than theory. It doesn't matter if someone tells me to eat a big breakfast when I know that it makes it hard for me to stay within my limit.
    My own experience tells me that in order to lose, I have to log everything carefully and never eat more than 1300 calories a day.
  • vmekash
    vmekash Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    You seem to have gotten a lot of negative responses, but I feel that those are not the folks to whom your message was directed. My guess is that you were addressing those who are struggling while simply not eating enough. It is different for everyone, and we all have to tweak our plans now and again to make things work. I'm doing this -- the eating part -- the same way as you, and I believe that this way I will be able to make conscious decisions about eating for the rest of my life. That does not mean I plan to stop having a Snickers Ice Cream Bar every night (yes, every night) after 8pm. It means that I plan. Loosely, but still, I plan. You clearly only meant to offer some helpful advice based, not on any expertise, but on experience and a bit of research. So to you I say, kudos! Keep up the good work. And good luck on your journey. :drinker:
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Requesting some epic bacon pictures ASAP to calm down the angry members. Bacon always seems to make a forum topic go in a happier direction... too much hate here.
    I agree.
    bacon-nativity-scene.jpg
  • Roll_Tide_Meg
    Roll_Tide_Meg Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    People will learn in their own time. Took me a while too. I ate at 1200 calories and lost 25 lbs in a few months...thought I felt good...I didn't...I am very weak now because of my loss of lean muscle and I gained it all back. Now I am eating clean and eating about 2100 calories and steadily losing and I feel great while doing so and am getting stronger from lifting weights. :) Eating more is the key but they just need to figure it out on their own. Don't let the angry hungry people get you down darlin! You are just trying to help.
  • NirvaniTeasley
    NirvaniTeasley Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I generally eat in between 1200-1500 calories, but never starve myself...For me it is much about disciplining my body to not need to comfort eat. I understand why you bring this to the forefront. There are way too many young, girls especially, who feel this need to starve their pounds away. My daughter has a habit of doing that when she wants to lose a few...She is a grown woman and frankly nothing I say will convince her to do it the healthy way, and every time she gains it right back within a few months when she goes back to normal eating. So I try to lead by example. I remind myself daily that this is not a diet to get thinner, but a lifestyle change for a more healthy and fit life. That includes Body AND spirit.

Love&Light,
    Nirvani
  • NirvaniTeasley
    NirvaniTeasley Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I generally eat in between 1200-1500 calories, but never starve myself...For me it is much about disciplining my body to not need to comfort eat. I understand why you bring this to the forefront. There are way too many young, girls especially, who feel this need to starve their pounds away. My daughter has a habit of doing that when she wants to lose a few...She is a grown woman and frankly nothing I say will convince her to do it the healthy way, and every time she gains it right back within a few months when she goes back to normal eating. So I try to lead by example. I remind myself daily that this is not a diet to get thinner, but a lifestyle change for a more healthy and fit life. That includes Body AND spirit.

Love&Light,
    Nirvani

By the way, I think all of this angry defensive attitude from some is born out of insecurity. To become so defensive over something that is obviously true, is a lack of knowledge and understanding of how the body works and what is best to keep it functioning healthily. If all you need is 1200 calories, that is fine, but if you are starving all the time obviously your body needs more, or you are just eating empty calories that are not sufficiently fueling your body. Instead of getting defensive, why not take this as an opportunity to re-evaluate your priorities. Some change may be a good thing:)
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Nice post!!!!! : )
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Requesting some epic bacon pictures ASAP to calm down the angry members. Bacon always seems to make a forum topic go in a happier direction... too much hate here.
    I agree.
    bacon-nativity-scene.jpg

Love this
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    OK I just wanna go back to OP and commend her on a great post in particular how she focuses on the ACTIONS that will get her the results, rather than on just the results. I suspect that when one focuses on the results the actions become more tedious and you just want it to be over and then the results are so built up in your head that if they aren't what you set your heart on, it's dissappointing. So just wanted to highlight that part of her OP. :flowerforyou: OP, I think you are on your way to amazing things!
  • bunnymum150
    bunnymum150 Posts: 311
    Options
    Best to you OP on your journey to optimal health, keep up the great work and sharing and doing what works for you:smile:
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I feel starving on just 2816 calories so I don't understand how people on 1200 can feel full...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Best to you OP on your journey to optimal health, keep up the great work and sharing and doing what works for you:smile:

i sense sarcasm in the force....
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I feel starving on just 2816 calories so I don't understand how people on 1200 can feel full...

if you were 5-1 110 pounds and female you might think different...

A lot of people on my friends list eat 1200 and do fine with it and look great..it is all what works for your body ...