Pay a speeding ticket based on your income?

Options

Replies

• channa007
    channa007 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Ah, another take on class warfare/envy. If you got more, you're bad and should have to pay more for the same infractions. No.

Agreed.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,667 Member
    Options
    I was getting pretty bummed reading all the "let's soak the rich" responses to this topic and wondering when the people with a clue would show up. I'm glad I stuck it out to the end. Thanks travisseger, StarvingDiva, RushBabe214, fiveohmike & tquig! You didn't disappoint.

I have a novel idea - Why don't we concern ourselves with our own behavior and circumstances and STFU about controlling others behavior and circumstances. If you don't like speeders, don't be one of them. If you don't like your lot in life, do something to change it. Stop blaming others that you think are better off than yourselves and trying to drag them down to your level. What do you care what kind of a fine someone else has to pay? That is none of your business. Where is this great tolerance progressives claim to have? Maybe you should start wearing brown shirts to help us identify you. Isn't there an OWS rally somewhere you should be attending? When did people start whining so much? How pathetic.
    I have a client whom I work with who is crippled from a car accident where she was hit behind from a speeder not paying attention to the traffic in front of him. Limit was 35mph and she was hit at more than 60mph. I think finding a way to deter speeding is a worth while cause after working with some people who have been affected by it. Don't think it's pathetic at all.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • channa007
    Options
    There is... it's called an attorney. Guess you've never heard of a lawsuit before.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    There is... it's called an attorney. Guess you've never heard of a lawsuit before.
    Lol, don't you think she'd rather have her legs work than sue? Guess you've never been in a serious accident involving a speeder.

IDEA Fitness member
  • runnerjenn0708
    runnerjenn0708 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    dont agree at all ... I dont care how much money someone makes ... you speed .. you get a ticket ... rich or poor ... cant pay the ticket cause youre poor .. dont speed or dont drive .. the end :)
  • RushBabe214
    RushBabe214 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    dont agree at all ... I dont care how much money someone makes ... you speed .. you get a ticket ... rich or poor ... cant pay the ticket cause youre poor .. dont speed or dont drive .. the end :)

Well, there you go again, being all logical and stuff....

:smile:
  • channa007
    Options
    Lol, don't you think she'd rather have her legs work than sue? Guess you've never been in a serious accident involving a speeder.

IDEA Fitness member

Oh I see... so if an income appropriate law would go into effect she'd get her legs back? Your correlation is unfounded. Law doesn't stop stupid from being stupid.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    But if you CAN pay the ticket several times over with no dent in your bank account, then it's okay to keep speeding?

IDEA Fitness member
  • smtillman2
    smtillman2 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I don't agree at all. The fine should reflect the infraction not the persons income.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Oh I see... so if an income appropriate law would go into effect she'd get her legs back? Your correlation is unfounded. Law doesn't stop stupid from being stupid.
    Tell that to people in Finland, Denmark and Norway then since it's definitely reduced the speeding there. Not a correlation, but direct effect.

IDEA Fitness member
  • smtillman2
    smtillman2 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    But if you CAN pay the ticket several times over with no dent in your bank account, then it's okay to keep speeding?

IDEA Fitness member

Most states have a points system and if they continued to speed eventually their license would be suspended.
  • RushBabe214
    Options
    Where's the "banging head against a brick wall" emoticon?
  • channa007
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Tell that to people in Finland, Denmark and Norway then since it's definitely reduced the speeding there. Not a correlation, but direct effect.

IDEA Fitness member

Well Russia and China have Communism. Should we implement that here too? Oh wait... we already are.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I don't agree at all. The fine should reflect the infraction not the persons income.
    That's not the issue. If a speeding fine is say $500 dollars for 2 people (one who makes $15,000 a month and one who makes $1,500), who do you think would be deterred more from speeding again? The point is to create more deterrence. If neither speed, neither suffers.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Most states have a points system and if they continued to speed eventually their license would be suspended.
    And suspended licenses stop people from driving? Have you ever sat in on traffic court and listened to the percentage of people who are in there because of suspended licenses?
    Having a suspended license MAY cause them to slow down because they don't want to lose their car if caught though, but a good attorney can get that taken care of.

IDEA Fitness member
  • travisseger
    travisseger Posts: 271 Member
    Options

If you find it, let me know where it is.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

IDEA Fitness member

Well Russia and China have Communism. Should we implement that here too? Oh wait... we already are.
    Couldn't debate the actual proof so have to come up with a strawman argument.

IDEA Fitness member
  • RushBabe214
    Options

If you find it, let me know where it is.

Will do! lol
  • tquig
    tquig Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    One of the dumbest things I have seen on MFP. Why stop at speeding tickets? Let's impose these income-based penalties for everything. Oh, you make $200,000/yr, that Happy Meal will cost you $30. Oh, you only make $40,000/yr? That's gonna be $7.95.
    Actually "dumb" would be not actually understanding the content. Maybe you want to reread the proposal. It's for DETERRENCE, not attributing to food you buy, clothes you buy, liquor you want to drink.:wink:
    When are the people of this great country going to realize that we are great because we provide a greater opportunity for people to be monetarily successful? This whole concept of the wealthy should support the poor is against the foundations of capitalism from which this country's success has been based. People, including our current administration, should go back to school and take a history class and an economics class.
    Lol, wait, are you saying that Wall street DIDN'T **** the US over recently?

IDEA Fitness member

Or dumb would be not understanding that the application of this proposal to other expenses clearly illustrates how without merit this idea is.

And nowhere in any post in this thread did I or any other poster state that Wall Street did not do anything wrong. Why would you even bring that up in a post that had nothing to do with that? We are talking about establishing penalties based upon income. Maybe you would like to start a new thread about the impacts of Wall Street's actions.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Let's stick to the facts here conservatives. Fact is that in the countries that have implemented it, it's reduced speeding. You don't speed, then there's nothing to worry about. It's a DETERRENT that works.
    Don't try to derail this by making it a political stance. Stick to the facts.
    No ones personal income who DOESN'T speed is affected in those countries. They still get to keep their money.

IDEA Fitness member